Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    My Dad hated them because they used to piss in his garden, I guess he passed the hatred on to me.
    That keeps away vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Rochelle wrote: »
    Growing up, our next door neighbour had between 10 & 20 of the disgusting fcukers.

Saw one of them going into our shed one day, my father and I went in after it carrying a hurl each. A few good clatters later, the smelly c.unt (the cat, not my old man!) didn't try that again.

I will generally try to draw a kick on one that comes close enough to me.
    Then you're not a very nice person (I'd use different terms but don't want to get banned).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What do you mean piss in the garden, whats the harm in that. Cats bury their rectal deposits, dogs don't.

You might be happy with cats p!ssing in your garden. I have my motorbikes covered in my garden and I shouldn't have to put up with various cats p!ssing all over them, because their owners think it is OK to let them roam. I wouldn't be happy with someones dog p!ssing on them why should it be OK someones cat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Rochelle wrote: »
    Growing up, our next door neighbour had between 10 & 20 of the disgusting fcukers.

Saw one of them going into our shed one day, my father and I went in after it carrying a hurl each. A few good clatters later, the smelly c.unt (the cat, not my old man!) didn't try that again.

I will generally try to draw a kick on one that comes close enough to me.

I think the disgusting ****er vermin should have been gathered up and put down (you and your old man, not the cats!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Odysseus wrote: »
    You might be happy with cats p!ssing in your garden. I have my motorbikes covered in my garden and I shouldn't have to put up with various cats p!ssing all over them, because their owners think it is OK to let them roam. I wouldn't be happy with someones dog p!ssing on them why should it be OK someones cat.

D'uh. because a DOG would bite holes in your motorbike, kill your kids and probably poop in your mouth as you looked on in horror at what had just happened, whereas a cat would have just obeyed its god-given instinct to píss on your bike and then pooped stinkily on your lawn.

Why you got to hate dude?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

The threads about rape romps and hating cats are very popular.. gonna be a savage nite!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

B0jangles wrote: »
    D'uh. because a DOG would bite holes in your motorbike, kill your kids and probably poop in your mouth as you looked on in horror at what had just happened, whereas a cat would have just obeyed its god-given instinct to píss on your bike and then pooped stinkily on your lawn.

Dogs are territorial, like humans. A dog wouldn't do that to a place that he didn't consider himself a proprietor of.

Would you cop on, where did I metion hate??? I don't know what type of dogs sh!te in your garden, but I don't have dogs sh!teing or biting my bikes:rolleyes:

I think people should control their pets. I do not condone hurting a cat, I hunt and a lot of hunters shoot the feral cats the see roaming, I won't do that. I'm against any of this kicking, hitting with sticks/bats etc, however, that doesn't mean that I think cats owners should allow their pets to roam free.

I have to be out in my garden if I want to allow my pet a bearded dragon out, why, because the toms will try attack it. Keep your pet on your land, be a responsible pet owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Dogs are territorial, like humans.

Cats are territorial.

Is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

My Dad hated them because they used to piss in his garden, I guess he passed the hatred on to me.

What do you mean piss in the garden, whats the harm in that. Cats bury their rectal deposits, dogs don't.
    Cats are filthy.invasive.tresspassing.non native .disease carrying vermin..you people that think you can open your door and let your filthy animal out to pi.. and sh.. on other peoples property..well your day is drawing to a close..

• Advertisement

Would you cop on, where did I metion hate??? I don't know what type of dogs sh!te in your garden, but I don't have dogs sh!teing or biting my bikes:rolleyes:

I think people should control their pets. I do not condone hurting a cat, I hunt and a lot of hunters shoot the feral cats the see roaming, I won't do that. I'm against any of this kicking, hitting with sticks/bats etc, however, that doesn't mean that I think cats owners should allow their pets to roam free.

I have to be out in my garden if I want to allow my pet a bearded dragon out, why, because the toms will try attack it. Keep your pet on your land, be a responsible pet owner.

It. was. a. joke.

See my other posts in this thread, I agree with you 110 percent. you are repeating what I've been saying for pages duder.

It. was. a. joke.

See my other posts in this thread, I agree with you duder.

Apologies:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I just put it down to folk fearing those that are superior. Just look at all those 50s UFO movies - anything better/stronger/more intelligent we blast the hell out of....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Cats are filthy.invasive.tresspassing.non native .disease carrying vermin..you people that think you can open your door and let your filthy animal out to pi.. and sh.. on other peoples property..well your day is drawing to a close..this myth about cats burying their sh.. isint true either..they paw the soil and leave the shi. on the surface..then go home and walk on your food prep areas and sleep on your kids beds.uuughhh.

Apologies:o

NP, I know how irritating it can be to deal with the cat people in this thread - specifically the ones who defend their pets right to express their natural instincts but object to dogs doing exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Horrible creatures, breed like rabbits and will kill anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Maudi wrote: »
    Cats are filthy.invasive.tresspassing.non native .disease carrying vermin..

What diseases have you caught off your neighbourhood cat that you couldnt catch off a dog?
    Filthy? Cats? They spend about half their waking hours cleaning themselves.
    Non-native? You mean like horses?
    Invasive and tresspassing like the birds singing outside your window on a weekend morning, you can either hate them or love them I guess.

I think cats are great fun, and dogs are great fun, why do people get so agitated because they cant control everything that happens on their property. With the mention of disease carrying vermin is there to be no thanks for the inconvenience that they provide to rats and mice who might otherwise live in comfort around the precious sandpits of Ireland.

Ah yes the cat hating thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

One of the reasons why cats are so awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All pets are smelly sh*tty little f*cks.

There. I said it.

F*ck all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    All pets are smelly sh*tty little f*cks.

There. I said it.

F*ck all of them.

All pets kids are smelly sh*tty little f*cks.

There. I said it.

F*ck all of them

Fixed :D:D:D

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    All pets kids are smelly sh*tty little f*cks.

There. I said it.

F*ck all of them

Fixed :D:D:D

"Harold!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I don't mind them as long a they're not in the house. Scratching and tearing furniture, hopping up on worktops, and pissing and sh1tting in a tray of dust in the corner of someone's kitchen is just wrong. The same goes for dogs, should be left outside.
    My cat has never been in the house and he survived the cold winter of 2 years no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

darlett wrote: »
    What diseases have you caught off your neighbourhood cat that you couldnt catch off a dog?
    Cat aids for one.
    Filthy? Cats? They spend about half their waking hours cleaning themselves.
    Non-native? You mean like horses?
    Just because cats lick themselves you shouldn't think they're clean by human standards. I don't understand how people can think that cat spit equals clean for humans. Would you eat a hairball that a cat coughed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

We need to cull the little fûckers.

All the mad cat people will cry and possibly kill themselves. No great loss.

It would be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

There is something wrong with you if you think it's ok to hurt/kill an animal that has done nothing to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There is something wrong with you if you think it's ok to hurt/kill an animal that has done nothing to you.
    What have chickens, pigs and cattle ever done to you? Protecting your territory from other animals is an instinct as old as life itself and it serves a purpose.

So what about the cats that have done something to me?
    ****ting in the garden, pissing on the car, scraping the car, meowing outside at 3am...should i boot the hole off them or the owners?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

So what about the cats that have done something to me?
    ****ting in the garden, pissing on the car, scraping the car, meowing outside at 3am...should i boot the hole off them or the owners?:D

Is this actually happening regularly? Cats that behave that way are usually feral. Let the owner know you're having a problem if it is a pet, if not then contact one of the cat charities and ask them to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cats need exercise and unlike dogs, you can't put them on a lead and take them for a walk.
    Yes you can, thousands of people all over the world do it. What you’re saying is that, to date, you’ve not been bothered properly introducing your cat to a harness and putting in the effort to lead train it.

Dogs aren’t born lead trained, you know. If you put a collar or harness on an untrained dog it’ll flip out every bit as much as a cat will.
    Quorum wrote: »
    Very difficult to contain a cat within one garden. They are adept climbers and can squeeze through tiny spaces by flattening out their body. If a cat wants to leave a garden, it will find a way.
    Quorum wrote: »
    Not difficult, damn near impossible.

Amazing how all those zoos manage to keep lions, tigers and leopards confined then, isn’t it? After all if it’s nigh-on impossible to keep the average moggy in a back garden, then zookeepers must be using some sort of High Magik to contain the larger specimens of the cat family.
    so how can the cat use his instinct to climb and explore. You've taken every natural instinct away from the cat by caging him up like this - he can't jump, he cannot investigate and he cannot even get a good run. poor thing.
    Isn’t that just a pity about the poor cat? How on earth are my dogs coping, and them a species with a natural territory much larger than a cat? We take every natural instinct away from them; they can’t dig, it's unacceptable for them to make their natural vocalisations, they can’t roam, investigate and hunt like their instincts tell them to, they can’t even get a good run because we keep them on leads for their own, and others’, safety. Poor things.
    Cats are not a threat to anybody, except for vermin and birds. To lock him up like this is terrible and you may as well not have one. Cats are mostly nocturnal hunters - they should be allowed to hunt. I can't imagine how you would feel if your own natural instincts were taken away from you and you were left walking around a "cage" for the rest of your days.
    Cats are active mostly around dawn and dusk. As well as rats and mice they take a shocking number of birds. I think that they’re the reason why so many of our songbirds are rapidly declining in numbers; cats are an introduced, invasive species that is decimating our songbird population, and some people on here want us to ignore that because they take a few mice too. I’d say that there are many more cats hanging around bird tables for an easy meal than there are hanging around rat holes. In the UK cats are estimated to kill about 50 million birds a year, and about 10 times that amount of small animals in total; vermin yes, but also the aforementioned birds, amphibians (remember how you’ve been hearing about the serious decline in numbers of frogs and newts? Well a good portion of that is down to cats ‘acting naturally’). (http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/nhi775/cat_predation.htm)

I’m guessing that the problem is probably in damage to plants – nitrogen burns from the urine, and the unholy stench of cat piss. That’s just what someone should have to put up with in their own garden; the bouquet of piss from other people’s pets.

And no, it’s not ok for a cat to effectively landmine someone’s garden with feces.

Oh, and people don't let their children play with sh*t, like some people here seem to be suggesting. They let their children play in their sandbox, where they uncover cat sh*t, or they let them play in the garden, where they uncover cat sh*t.
    Madam wrote: »
    Isn't it funny that you don't have cat lovers on here saying they'd be violent towards dogs(or any other animal) though? Maybe we cat lovers are just nicer people(even though I love dogs too but a cat was my first love - after her a little wire haired terrier)
    Actually, I’m amazed with the number of cat owners, and apparent lovers, on here advocating what I would call cruelty by recommending that people spray them with the hose. If I were to catch anyone spraying my dog with a hose for any reason I’d go through them, and to hear people recommend that others do that to their pets is mind boggling. If I had to resort to telling my neighbours to use such a strong adversive I'd have to re-examine either my choice of pet, or my pet-keeping strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

kylith wrote: »
    Amazing how all those zoos manage to keep lions, tigers and leopards confined then, isn’t it? After all if it’s nigh-on impossible to keep the average moggy in a back garden, then zookeepers must be using some sort of High Magik to contain the larger specimens of the cat family.

Let's not be facetious, shall we? What is the big glaring difference between the domestic moggy and cats you just named? Size. In this case, being small is of huge benefit.

Advertisement