Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Right...am highly annoyed. Not for the first time, some little w****** chasing after my cats, they were just lying in the front garden and sitting on the wall.
    My cats were kicked and hit with sticks :confused:

One day, I hope, one of my cats will scrape the face of one of them to teach them a viable lesson :mad:

Sorry about the rant, but it had to be said. Kids, 12 years of age approx. should have more sense, imo

Hate that think of thing, some kids are bad minded little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

JD Green wrote: »
    Why would they? I only let the dogs on cats on my own land which means there's nothing illegal about it.

I hope you are just trolling and looking for a reaction and you don't really do the things you say you do to cats.

If you do then there is something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pottler wrote: »
    I like Cats. I just went out and fed about ten of them. They gather at the back door every evening and I feed them. it's my act of charity and it excuses a multitude.

Eek> Are they all feral/strays? I like cats but that's a LOT of strays if they are.
    DSPCA & CATS AID do a spay the stray programme where they come to your house & the feral & stray cats are caught, taken away & spayed & then released back. 10 strays breeding can quickly become a huge infestation of cats. :0

Of course it would be important to send the cat home with a note in it's collar saying your intentions before you do anything in case it's just a greedy pet!!!

BTW that's a whole lot of cats**t that nobody is picking up :(

Must be nice at feeding time thou ; all the purring & happy-catting : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It seems to come from farmer folk and boggers who live in the sticks who like to kill everything that moves.. ...
    Oh the irony of it, Brian, boggers, oh! how ironic can one get? Sing with me Brian, we'll start with the CHORUS

"Lough Rea oh Lough Rea where the three counties meet
    Longford, West Meath and Roscommon
    as I strolled 'round her banks be the heather and peat
    they're the mem'ries I've never forgotten"

What if we were to write a special version for @demanufactured Brian, something impromptu, like this I guess :

"A'hlone oh A'hlone, you can pog mo thoin
    There's nothin' for miles except wather
    As I walked round the town I met the soldiers alone
    Each lookin' to court a local man's daughther."

C'mon Donie ya good thing ya, is that Counthry and Western or not, a great Fianna Fail song and don't you forgeh eh!

An' where does carrots come from Donie, eh? Clonown Donie, there's feck all else'll grow there, not a head a cabbage nor a spud Donie, on'y miles and miles a fecken carrots. I hates 'em, the orangey bastards. No wonder people have time to wash down their lobbies, eh Donie, what do you say to that now, smart an' all as you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Shenshen wrote: »
    Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

Cos they refuse to pay their Mousehold Charge.....

.......I'll get me coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Scenario; Locked out of house, keys lying on couch.

Dog - Acknowledges your presence, barks in distress at your predicament, tries to bring you the keys or close enough so you can get them through the letterbox/slightly ajar window. Glad to see you when you get back in, shows affection.

Cat - Sleeping, opens one eye, notices your predicament,. When you eventully get in by smashing in a window, goes towards fridge and starts meowwing in protest of not being fed for 30 minutes. Comes down and opens door for you with key. Goes back to sleep.

Conclusion - Cats are evil cúnts,so intelligent dogs, quite simply, are not!

FYP:o

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    FYP just a little. :)

I had to scrape another load of noxious revolting cat sh1t off my son's runners today, which he trod on in my front garden.

If I knew for sure the address of the stinking cat's owner, I would quite happily post the filthy putrid mess back to them.

Lazy ignorant cat/dog owners are the ones that ought to be led around by the nose, and then have said nose shoved into their pet's faeces. Apparently that works for some pets, so it might have an educational effect on their owners as well.

so human gets annoyed with animal for "trespassing" on his "property".
    human gets a gun to sort out the problem.

That says more about you than the animals I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Eek> Are they all feral/strays? I like cats but that's a LOT of strays if they are.
    DSPCA & CATS AID do a spay the stray programme where they come to your house & the feral & stray cats are caught, taken away & spayed & then released back. 10 strays breeding can quickly become a huge infestation of cats. :0

Of course it would be important to send the cat home with a note in it's collar saying your intentions before you do anything in case it's just a greedy pet!!!

It's just cats aid that do this. The DSPCA are pretty much useless unless you can trap the cat and bring it to them, in which case the cat must be surrendered so that they can "neuter and rehome" or should that be "neuter and rehome provided there isn't an outbreak of cat flu resulting in all the cats being euthanaised" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was over at a friends place and could smell something like cats in the TV room. She totally denied it and said her cat was clean. About a week later she had to move the TV stand to get at something and when she did she discovered at least 10 craps, some of them had gone hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I was over at a friends place and could smell something like cats in the TV room. She totally denied it and said her cat was clean. About a week later she had to move the TV stand to get at something and when she did she discovered at least 10 craps, some of them had gone hard.

That's tough sh*t, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

DERP!!

FYP also :D

GastroBoy wrote: »
    FYP also :D

i have no idea what that means, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

at least you can teach a dog to do things.
    You can teach a cat to do tricks too, it's just more difficult to convince them as they don't have the natural hierarchy like humans and dogs do. I think a cat has to really, really like you to take orders like that. It's harder to convince them with food because if you don't feed them they'll quite easily go out and get good natural food elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Luckily I also run an annual Vitamin L event, when numbers get a bit ott.:) I'm not totally soft.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can teach a cat to do tricks too, it's just more difficult to convince them as they don't have the natural hierarchy like humans and dogs do. I think a cat has to really, really like you to take orders like that. It's harder to convince them with food because if you don't feed them they'll quite easily go out and get good natural food elsewhere.

very good but you can drill a dog easier. cats, are very difficult to drill they just won't have it

a dog will even turn tricks of it's own accord. I think this is why they are far & away so many's best friend

very good but you can drill a dog easier. cats, are very difficult to drill they just won't have it

a dog will even turn tricks of it's own accord. I think this is why they are far & away so many's best friend
    get a friend to hold them and use a cordless?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

Dogs are the best companion you could ask for, unconditional love and unending loyalty. A cat will only care if it has a full belly and heat and comfort otherwise it will feck off. A dog on the other hand shows unconditional love, you could beat a poor dog senseless and it will still come back to lick you.

A dog is the only thing that loves you more than it loves itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

A dog on the other hand shows unconditional love, you could beat a poor dog senseless and it will still come back to lick you.

I don't know what is supposed to be so admirable about this. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dogs are the best companion you could ask for, unconditional love and unending loyalty. A cat will only care if it has a full belly and heat and comfort otherwise it will feck off. A dog on the other hand shows unconditional love, you could beat a poor dog senseless and it will still come back to lick you.

So you're saying Irish people are really, really needy? Bit of a hard judgement, don't you think?

So you're saying Irish people are really, really needy? Bit of a hard judgement, don't you think?
    Your "input filter" is clearly broken.

• Advertisement

Your "input filter" is clearly broken.

Is it?
    To the question why Irish people hate cats but love dogs, he replies because a dog loves you sooooo much, even when you beat it half to death?
    If someone said that this is the reason they love another person, you'd have them institutionalised, seriously.

Is it?
    To the question why Irish people hate cats but love dogs, he replies because a dog loves you sooooo much, even when you beat it half to death?
    If someone said that this is the reason they love another person, you'd have them institutionalised, seriously.
    I dunno, I know a lot of couples like that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Is it?

A dog is not a person so you can just leave that there, and spitting on loyalty as a kind of trait that only a really needy person would want in a pet is obscene.

Shryke wrote: »
    A dog is not a person so you can just leave that there, and spitting on loyalty as a kind of trait that only a really needy person would want in a pet is obscene.

It's obscene to consider the desire for a pet that remains loyal while you abuse it to death?

In that case, I consider being called obscene a compliment, thank you very much.

It's obscene to consider the desire for a pet that remains loyal while you abuse it to death?

In that case, I consider being called obscene a compliment, thank you very much.
    Your "INPUT FILTER" is clearly broken.

@shenshen You're implying that people want pets they can abuse to death which is repugnant and nowhere near what was said, and entirely missing the point that was made. It's also an insult to dog owners.
    You're being so obtuse I'm sure you can consider all sorts of things. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cats pick up on a lot of things without having to be taught. My eldest cat stands on the mantlepiece and jumps onto the door handle to open it. He also climbs onto the lower roof to gain access to bedrooms when he's locked out at night.

In regards to teaching them yourself, I find it relies on the temperament of the cat in question. Some show more application and willingness to learn than others, I've a kitten at the moment who's a law on to himself. In my experience the older they get the more receptive and submissive they become.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I like Cats. I just went out and fed about ten of them. They gather at the back door every evening and I feed them. it's my act of charity and it excuses a multitude.

That's really great you feed them :) Only problem is you definitely need to get them neutering/spayed otherwise they will breed like crazy and disease is a lot more likely if they aren't already infected with something. Nothing worse than seeing sick and dying kittens :(

Definitely try and get in touch with Cats Aid or if there is another smaller cat community group who are willing to help out. Or even if you are willing to help out with the cost of one or two to get the ball rolling.
    at least you can teach a dog to do things.

but they're very intuitive and can seemingly tell when, and where somebody needs them without any tutoring. and duly will do

I think it's pathetic if the only reason anyone wanted a pet was for the need of unconditional love. Then if the pet doesn't give it to them they just trade it in for another one or worse dump it.

There are loads of cases of people leaving back cats and dogs to rescue shelters that they had just adopted a few days or weeks before hand because the pet wouldn't stay still to be petted or wasn't very affectionate:rolleyes: They need a therapist not a feicin pet.

I can tell you a cat cares about you whether it's belly is full or not. Can't get this new little lady out of my arms or lap she even licks my hands like a dog would! Just because cats don't bounce about the place with excitement at the sight of you doesn't mean they don't show it in some way. Once you get to know them you can read their emotions a lot easier and they have plenty emotions.

Oh and cats definitely learn things on their own. My friend has one that can open doors, the handles are round so she uses her two paws repeatedly to turn them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

All mammals contain some of the same love/bonding chemicals. In fact studies done detailing the nuerochemistry of love/bonding use oxytocin levels as affection indicators in both species. Im sorry for boring everyone with this but I hate the christian belief that there exists a boundry between man and animal where in reality we are animal.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

All mammals contain some of the same love/bonding chemicals. In fact studies done detailing the nuerochemistry of love/bonding use oxytocin levels as affection indicators in both species. Im sorry for boring everyone with this but I hate the christian belief that there exists a boundry between man and animal where in reality we are animal.

Of course we're bloody animals. I'm insulted you'd infer such crap from my post. Sharing the same nuero-chemicals is not in anyway the same as sharing a similar consciousness outside of there being emotions involved in both of us existing.
    Humans and mice share 99% of our genes. Please don't tell me how similar we are to mice and how we're all one.
    I love dogs for they're intelligence and for their nature. Anyone who can't appreciate a dog is dead inside (pretty harsh but why not), having said that I'm sure dolphins will inherit the planet once we obliterate ourselves.

Advertisement