Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

how can you let your cat out to get exercise in your garden without him climbing up the wall and running next door.

You buy fencing from a company like this one : http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/info.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

B0jangles wrote: »
    You buy fencing from a company like this one : http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/info.asp

so how can the cat use his instinct to climb and explore. You've taken every natural instinct away from the cat by caging him up like this - he can't jump, he cannot investigate and he cannot even get a good run. poor thing.

Cats are not a threat to anybody, except for vermin and birds. To lock him up like this is terrible and you may as well not have one. Cats are mostly nocturnal hunters - they should be allowed to hunt. I can't imagine how you would feel if your own natural instincts were taken away from you and you were left walking around a "cage" for the rest of your days.

so how can the cat use his instinct to climb and explore. You've taken every natural instinct away from the cat by caging him up like this - he can't jump, he cannot investigate and he cannot even get a good run. poor thing.

Cats are not a threat to anybody, except for vermin and birds. To lock him up like this is terrible and you may as well not have one. Cats are mostly nocturnal hunters - they should be allowed to hunt. I can't imagine how you would feel if your own natural instincts were taken away from you and you were left walking around a "cage" for the rest of your days.

A dog's natural instinct is to hunt too, but they are not allowed to roam freely day and night to express this instinct. I also happen to like the birds who come to my garden - I put up food for them all the time. I also liked the fish I used to have.

Why should the inhabitants of my garden and others like it be expected to provide hunting material to satisfy your cat's desire to hunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Oh I know cats are amazing climbers and escapologists, I just don't think is fair that because it is difficult to keep them in their own gardens, many cat owners feel ok with making no effort whatsoever to do so.

Not difficult, damn near impossible.

• Advertisement

A dog's natural instinct is to hunt too, but they are not allowed to roam freely day and night to express this instinct. I also happen to like the birds who come to my garden - I put up food for them all the time. I also liked the fish I used to have.

Why should the inhabitants of my garden and others like it be expected to provide hunting material to satisfy your cat's desire to hunt?

you should have used your caging to put over the fish - fish can't survive without water so it wouldn't have bothered them.

A cat will roam around its own territory and not terrorise, bark, or bite at people. A dog has the ability to injure depending on his moods. A cat will scratch only to defend itself. A dog will run after cars, people, bikes, frighten young children - that's the difference. This is the reason you must have a dog on a leash - and not a cat. A cat is non-threatening - get used to it.

Birds are born with wings - two wings. They have the ability to fly away from cats - birds are not idiots either - they call to each other when a cat is in the area - granted some are not quite as lucky, but thats life in the animal kingdom. Deal with it - if you can't, don't get involved with animals. Your's are not more special than anyone else's.

Birds are also hunters - do you know this - they will also eat mice, moles, etc and will eat all the berries from your bushes - they will also "sh*te" in your garden, on your clothes on the clothes line and on your head if the choose.

Get over your dislike of cats - don't have a cat caged up for YOUR own entertainment. If you wish to have a cat, understand the nature and instincts of cats - having a cat walk on a square caged in patch for the rest of its life is for YOUR entertainment, not theirs.

For the record, I like birds too - I have two birdhouses and balls of seeds in my garden - birds come and eat from the birdhouses and seeds every day. There is never a problem. Birds are very smart also.

you should have used your caging to put over the fish - fish can't survive without water so it wouldn't have bothered them.

A cat will roam around its own territory and not terrorise, bark, or bite at people. A dog has the ability to injure depending on his moods. A cat will scratch only to defend itself. A dog will run after cars, people, bikes, frighten young children - that's the difference. This is the reason you must have a dog on a leash - and not a cat. A cat is non-threatening - get used to it.

Birds are born with wings - two wings. They have the ability to fly away from cats - birds are not idiots either - they call to each other when a cat is in the area - granted some are not quite as lucky, but thats life in the animal kingdom. Deal with it - if you can't, don't get involved with animals. Your's are not more special than anyone else's.

Birds are also hunters - do you know this - they will also eat mice, moles, etc and will eat all the berries from your bushes - they will also "sh*te" in your garden, on your clothes on the clothes line and on your head if the choose.

Get over your dislike of cats - don't have a cat caged up for YOUR own entertainment. If you wish to have a cat, understand the nature and instincts of cats - having a cat walk on a square caged in patch for the rest of its life is for YOUR entertainment, not theirs.

I don't dislike cats actually, I know some very nice ones.

What I dislike is the attitude of so many cat owners that their pets should be free to do whatever it wants where ever it wants because "it's their nature"

I especially love the irony in this line:

"Deal with it - if you can't, don't get involved with animals. Your's are not more special than anyone else's. "

You accuse me of expecting special treatment for my animals?
    You're the one demanding that your cat be allowed to roam and hunt where ever it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Woman up the road from me brings her cat for a walk on a lead.

I've a neighbour who hates cats,blamed them for wrecking his garden even though he made a balls of it himself.I don't mind them myself,rather see a cat around than rats or mice.

Why should the inhabitants of my garden[/I] and others like it be expected to provide hunting material to satisfy your cat's desire to hunt?

my cat didn't kill you fish.

you had not got the fish protected - deal with it. Stop blaming cats for you not taking precautions with your fish.

Protect your fish next time.

I don't dislike cats actually, I know some very nice ones.

What I dislike is the attitude of so many cat owners that their pets should be free to do whatever it wants where ever it wants because "it's their nature"

I especially love the irony in this line:

"Deal with it - if you can't, don't get involved with animals. Your's are not more special than anyone else's. "

You accuse me of expecting special treatment for my animals?
    You're the one demanding that your cat be allowed to roam and hunt where ever it wants.

sorry, I'm not demanding anything because my cat is allowed to roam and hunt and contrary to your believe of "wherever it wants" the nature of cats is to stay in their own territory - they don't roam willly nilly or "wherever it wants". - I just know that animals have their own instincts and to own an animal and stifle every instinct it has, is not being fair to the animal. Again read my paragraph above - cats are non-threatening - dogs are not. Thats the different that you don't seem to grasp.

• Advertisement

sorry, I'm not demanding - I just know that animals have their own instincts and to own an animal and stifle every instinct it has, is not being fair to the animal. Again read my paragraph above - cats are non-threatening - dogs are not. Thats the different that you don't seem to grasp.

I am well able to grasp that cats are non-threatening to humans. I think I've made it clear that my concern is not for people possibly being savaged by maurading kitties. It's the small wild animals and pets like my fish that get killed by pet cats left to roam freely that I'm interested in. Most pet dogs would not attack people if they were left to roam around wherever they want, they are still not allow to do so.

I am well able to grasp that cats are non-threatening to humans. I think I've made it clear that my concern is not for people possibly being savaged by maurading kitties. It's the small wild animals and pets like my fish that get killed by pet cats left to roam freely that I'm interested in.

such concern for the "small wild animals" that cats kill - (mice.rats) and yet not a bit of concern for keeping your own cat in a cage and not a bit of concern about your fishes out in the open for anyone to grab. Didn't you know that a cats favorite meal is fishes LOL. You should have put your fish in the cage and let your cats go for a little explore. Maybe you should now get rid of your cats in cages, and get some rats instead, what with you being so "concerned" about them.

Me, gimme a cat any day, a free cat, not one locked away in a prison, it's only crime is its instincts.

Have a nice weekend now.

such concern for the "small wild animals" that cats kill - (mice.rats) and yet not a bit of concern for keeping your own cat in a cage and not a bit of concern about your fishes out in the open for anyone to grab. Didn't you know that a cats favorite meal is fishes LOL. You should have put your fish in the cage and let your cats go for a little explore. Maybe you should now get rid of your cats in cages, and get some rats instead, what with you being so "concerned" about them.

Me, gimme a cat any day, a free cat, not one locked away in a prison, it's only crime is its instincts.

Have a nice weekend now.

Where on earth did you get the idea that I have a cat? And that if I had a cat, I'd keep it in a cage?

At this stage you are just making up really weird strawmen and throwing them at me - save them for your cat, he might enjoy playing with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Growing up, our next door neighbour had between 10 & 20 of the disgusting fcukers.

Saw one of them going into our shed one day, my father and I went in after it carrying a hurl each. A few good clatters later, the smelly c.unt (the cat, not my old man!) didn't try that again.

I will generally try to draw a kick on one that comes close enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

My Dad hated them because they used to piss in his garden, I guess he passed the hatred on to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rochelle wrote: »
    This mentality I just don't get. I really don't. It's just a bloody cat FFS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    My Dad hated them because they used to piss in his garden, I guess he passed the hatred on to me.

What do you mean piss in the garden, whats the harm in that. Cats bury their rectal deposits, dogs don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

What do you mean piss in the garden, whats the harm in that. Cats bury their rectal deposits, dogs don't.

The flowers and stuff. You're right, there isn't much harm but old Irish men be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i dont HATE cats but if you're choosing between a cat and dog theres no contest.

One example - i got home from a weeks holiday yesetrday evening to my labrador. he nearly broke down the door jumping all over me with excitement - the hangover from hell after ibiza and i was instantly cheered up. its the same when I come home from work every day, a cat wouldnt give a flying fcuk....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

dogs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Growing up, our next door neighbour had between 10 & 20 of the disgusting fcukers.

Saw one of them going into our shed one day, my father and I went in after it carrying a hurl each. A few good clatters later, the smelly c.unt (the cat, not my old man!) didn't try that again.

So you're walking down the street and if a cat was to come close to you, your first thought would be to kick it?

What the hell is wrong with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

df1985 wrote: »
    i dont HATE cats but if you're choosing between a cat and dog theres no contest.

One example - i got home from a weeks holiday yesetrday evening to my labrador. he nearly broke down the door jumping all over me with excitement - the hangover from hell after ibiza and i was instantly cheered up. its the same when I come home from work every day, a cat wouldnt give a flying fcuk....

We have 2 cats and both are always delighted to see us when we come back each day. They give us lots of purring and little head bumps and generally let us know that they're very pleased to see us. Anyone who thinks cats are ungrateful or unfriendly is doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have to say that I am horrified by the amount of posters in this thread who claim to be actively violent to animals and in particular to cats. If this is an accurate representation of the Irish attitude to cats, and I can only hope that it is not, then it is hardly surprising that Irish emigrants are becoming increasingly unwelcome abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I have to say that I am horrified by the amount of posters in this thread who claim to be actively violent to animals and in particular to cats. If this is an accurate representation of the Irish attitude to cats, and I can only hope that it is not, then it is hardly surprising that Irish emigrants are becoming increasingly unwelcome abroad.

Isn't it funny that you don't have cat lovers on here saying they'd be violent towards dogs(or any other animal) though? Maybe we cat lovers are just nicer people(even though I love dogs too but a cat was my first love - after her a little wire haired terrier):)

Madam wrote: »
    Isn't it funny that you don't have cat lovers on here saying they'd be violent towards dogs(or any other animal) though? Maybe we cat lovers are just nicer people(even though I love dogs too but a cat was my first love - after her a little wire haired terrier):)

Don't remember hearing many of the cat people expressing any sympathy for the small wild and occasionally domestic animals their pets kill while out roaming the neighbourhood?

Also for the record, I do not advocate hurting cats - anyone who does so is a coward and a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

That's called cruelty to animals and is actually an offence....

Don't remember hearing many of the cat people expressing any sympathy for the small wild and occasionally domestic animals their pets kill while out roaming the neighbourhood?QUOTE]

Thats different - its instinct after all but soon remedied with a little bell attached to the collar.

Btw our cat is a dog lover - hates other cats with a passion but next door's chocolate lab(Rollo) and he are the best of friends, they even fall asleep in the sunshine together(that's what's happening just now). I do have to be careful as not all dogs are so obliging:)

Oh and he's also fond of rabbits but as they are prey animals they are not so fond of him - they don't realise he just want to cuddle up to them and doesn't want to maul or eat them - unless they know him of course!

He's a rescue cat so perhaps he was reared with dogs and bunnies, we don't know but we've had him for 12 years the vet thinks he may have been around 4 when we adopted him so he's going strong for an old guy(just the usual old age problems even humans get). The reason for getting a cat? The husband has never had a pet before and he was kind of wary of dogs, so I pursuaded him on getting a cat - they are the best of buddies, he(the cat)even has a special meow for him(cute eh?) - he's now very much a cat lover.

Oh God! Chav daddy and chav boy:mad:

Madam wrote: »
    Don't remember hearing many of the cat people expressing any sympathy for the small wild and occasionally domestic animals their pets kill while out roaming the neighbourhood?QUOTE]

Thats different - its instinct after all but soon remedied with a little bell attached to the collar.

Btw our cat is a dog lover - hates other cats with a passion but next door's chocolate lab(Rollo) and he are the best of friends, they even fall asleep in the sunshine together(that's what's happening just now). I do have to be careful as not all dogs are so obliging:)

Oh and he's also fond of rabbits but as they are prey animals they are not so fond of him - they don't realise he just want to cuddle up to them and doesn't want to maul or eat them - unless they know him of course!

He's a rescue cat so perhaps he was reared with dogs and bunnies, we don't know but we've had him for 12 years the vet thinks he may have been around 4 when we adopted him so he's going strong for an old guy(just the usual old age problems even humans get). The reason for getting a cat? The husband has never had a pet before and he was kind of wary of dogs, so I pursuaded him on getting a cat - they are the best of buddies, he(the cat)even has a special meow for him(cute eh?) - he's now very much a cat lover.

Aww, special meow is adorable!

Bells are really good, I wish more people would use them, and I know a cat's instinct is to hunt - I just don't buy the idea that it has to be indulged all the time for the cat to live a happy life. I was just trying to highlight that there are consequences if pet cats are allowed to roam around the place day and night without any restrictions, consequences that maybe some cat owners haven't considered up 'til now. Not saying kitties aren't really cute though - I love Maru, the cat who loves boxes (check youtube if you don't know him already :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,572 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes in the childrens' sandpit usually.

Advertisement