Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy/ sell a stick? ***READ HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I was thinking of getting one and now you've sold me.
    Want a change from a TE.
    But does any one have or tried one of those Soul caliber Edition TE's.
    They have button spacing and layout like Sega cabs which is the business.
    Believe me once you've tried the layout you'll wonder why you played on a TE with ET spaced fingers

main-image.jpg

Ignore the Bogey art/ colour scheme
    Also I've ordered loads of bits and bobs of Gremlin solutions and they have yet to let me down.Great service

Have one of these :D

Yeah I like the physical construction of the Qanba's more than the TEs, although I certainly have no problem with them either- but the Qanba feels more like my VSHG :)

How have you found this stick after having it for a bit? Do you find the position of the start button a bit wierd? Have you ever hit it during play?

It looks like a fantastic stick at a very decent price, especially for a cross-platformer. Only thing that is concerning looking is the chance of hitting pause in the middle of a round.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

How have you found this stick after having it for a bit? Do you find the position of the start button a bit wierd? Have you ever hit it during play?

It looks like a fantastic stick at a very decent price, especially for a cross-platformer. Only thing that is concerning looking is the chance of hitting pause in the middle of a round.

I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask as it's pretty much in the same position as my last stick! I can't bring myself to say I prefer it to the VSHG but it's damn close. I definitely think it feels nicer than a TE (TE's are still really good, I just like the shape of the Qanba more).

It's rare enough for start to get pressed mid game on any stick, I think I've only done it once or twice (don't think I ever have in a tournament). It's more an accidental pad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I made a homemade mod to the start button of my hori, makes the button much stiffer.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-hori-rap-premium-vlx-vewlix-vx-360-v3-ps3-arcade-stick-thread.93341/page-21#post-6142515

You could blow on those sanwa buttons and they'd activate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Weirdly, Hori used to have lovely 24mm buttons with lowered plungers which you couldn't touch by accident.
    Don't know why they don't use them now.

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »
    I made a homemade mod to the start button of my hori,makes the button much stiffer...You could blow on those sanwa buttons and they'd activate

Yeah, if I do pick one up I was thinking along the same lines. Either replace the button for another 30mm one with a much stiffer action, get a second spring and wind them both into the stock start button, or just blank it off and drill a hole into the side of the stick and move it to there instead. I'd rather not drill it though, that would kill the resale value.

Thanks for the SRK link!! Good info.

Yeah, if I do pick one up I was thinking along the same lines. Either replace the button for another 30mm one with a much stiffer action, get a second spring and wind them both into the stock start button, or just blank it off and drill a hole into the side of the stick and move it to there instead. I'd rather not drill it though, that would kill the resale value.

Thanks for the SRK link!! Good info.
    Japanese buttons don't use springs, their microswitches have them contained.

Also, Start buttons are generally 24mm.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Japanese buttons don't use springs, their microswitches have them contained.

Also, Start buttons are generally 24mm.

That button is apparently a cheap chinese knockoff, not a sanwa, and apparently its a little tougher to push it than the rest of the face buttons. Anyway, I'm sure something can be done with it if it's a problem.

I think I'm probably going to spring for one of these. I'll be modding the stick to a bat top & octo gate anyways, so it won't be an issue messing with the buttons while the casing is open.

I may also change some of the snap-in buttons to screw in OBSN-30 versions as well, as i read that the snap-ins are the wrong thickness for the casing with the plexi on it, and don't grab both, causing some bending of the plexi near the jab/short buttons (can doom or anyone who has the stick confirm this??)

Now the only decision left is a black or white model?

EDIT: EEK...i just impulse bought the black one after ringing up gremlin for what was supposed to be a quote. They are being excellent and doing all the mods i was planning to do FOC for me as swop outs, rather than buying the extra parts, so my stick's gonna arrive set up and ready to go. I really like dealing with them, that's not the first time they've gone out of their way to be helpful to me.

Looks like I'm gonna be living on cornflakes till payday.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

All qanba start buttons are sanwa from the start of last november I think it is.

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    All qanba start buttons are sanwa from the start of last november I think it is.

Yep apparently mine is one of those ones. Gremlin said exactly the same. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

main-image.jpg

Selling one of these.

Great stick imo. Just gotta hustle me some $$$$ for the states. (If I go)

The stick has barely been used, I use all 8 buttons and didn't like the shape of the last 2 buttons on this stick so I've just been using my own.

PM me if interested, I'm not sure what price to ask for it. I see it on sale for 160-170$ US which is about 125-130 euro. So less than that!
    I'm free to meet whoever wants to buy it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looking at it again the button/joystick placement is still different than SEGA.
    I want it like this pic of my astro city
    scaled.php?server=688&filename=img20120615195609.jpg&res=landing.

Looking at it again the button/joystick placement is still different than SEGA.
    I want it like this pic of my astro city
    scaled.php?server=688&filename=img20120615195609.jpg&res=landing.

What's strange is that you're thinking of what appears to be Astro City player2 layout.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

By Jove your right.
    My one player set up is the same as the two player side.
    Weird
    2v2cufq.jpg

By Jove your right.
    My one player set up is the same as the two player side.
    Weird
    2v2cufq.jpg
    Must be a new revision of the panel or something.

The only commercial stick which has that layout is the Agetec "Green Goblin" (Dreamcast), which you can still find on Adverts/eBay/Amazon (would need to be modded though).

The Namco stick's layout is slightly more slanted.

ArcadeForge.de and LLC Customs both offer metal replacement panels for current commercial sticks.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but it's kinda on topic.

I'm looking to get my hands on just a single Sanwa or semitsu screw-in 24mm button (a start button) to do a mod on my stick which involves replacing the stock snap-in 24mm one with one that can be mounted at a greater depth. I know can get them from the UK but before I forked out for a delivery charge for just one button, I thought I'd ask there was a modder out there who might know where to get them here or was willing to sell me a spare if they had any lying around.

Any colour will do apart from translucent, but a black or white one would be awesome. I can pick up anywhere in the Dublin area.

Anyone?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but it's kinda on topic.

I'm looking to get my hands on just a single Sanwa or semitsu screw-in 24mm button (a start button) to do a mod on my stick which involves replacing the stock snap-in 24mm one with one that can be mounted at a greater depth. I know can get them from the UK but before I forked out for a delivery charge for just one button, I thought I'd ask there was a modder out there who might know where to get them here or was willing to sell me a spare if they had any lying around.

Any colour will do apart from translucent, but a black or white one would be awesome. I can pick up anywhere in the Dublin area.

Anyone?
    I have a 24mm Hori snap-in (white) which also has a flush-mounted plunger.

PM for how to get.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have a 24mm Hori snap-in (white) which also has a flush-mounted plunger.

Thanks but im not sure that will do what i need. Im looking for a screw in 24mm because they can mount in a thicker panel. I'm installing a button guard on the start button on my Q4. It goes under the button lip, between the button and the panel, and adds a couple of mm to the mounting depth.

AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) the snap-in buttons won't work with a thicker depth panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Saw gootecks using it at their booth at E3, they're tiny. After using it his comment to the rep was something along the lines of...."You got some issues, man." I don't think he was too impressed with it.

• Advertisement

Looks like shít if I'm being brutally honest.

Gimmicky connector that will be used ONCE (if even).
    Small, frail body.
    Made by Nyko :rolleyes:
    Costs $180 :rolleyes:
    And it has the WORST placement for switches & extra buttons I have ever seen.

Check this yokey out....

That looks dreadful. Way too squashed looking. There looks to be no space at all for your palms to rest comfortably while playing anything. I can't imagine it being anywhere near the level of comfort and precision any fighting game player would need, and for almost the same price you could get hold of a TE stick or similar.

What's the point? Who is their target market? Apart from a few desperate lefties with no modding ability, who would they sell this to? Who would need a stick with that price tag, and wouldn't just go for one of the top line sticks like a TE or a Q4?

a few desperate lefties ?

Ahem, as a desperate lefty with no modding ability ;) I should point out that right handed people all play on left handed sticks currently without noticing. Reverse the buttons and left handed people cannot play at all (in general, I knew of one exception back in the day) whereas right handed people adapt pretty quickly. Damn Kung Fu Master and it's right handed cab out in Skerries :(

It's a pretty useless gimmick. The only good thing I can see about it is it's small enough for a sanwa stick for portability sakes, but sure it'll probably be banned in tournaments because it's got macro programming on it.

Ahem, as a desperate lefty with no modding ability ;) I should point out that right handed people all play on left handed sticks currently without noticing. Reverse the buttons and left handed people cannot play at all (in general, I knew of one exception back in the day) whereas right handed people adapt pretty quickly. Damn Kung Fu Master and it's right handed cab out in Skerries :(

It's a pretty useless gimmick. The only good thing I can see about it is it's small enough for a sanwa stick for portability sakes, but sure it'll probably be banned in tournaments because it's got macro programming on it.
    While it apparently has a switch at the bottom to disable macros... yeah, I can see it being banned (because of the hassle for TOs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Selling my old PS3 TE I have no use for anymore. 6 button vewlix plexi with vewlix art, 6 pink sanwa obsf-30 buttons and jlf joystick with pink balltop. Wiring is quite weird on the stick, all the buttons work but there is no start afaik :P Not enough wires for it, you can always pause using the home button etc.

Willing to split i.e., parts, case, shell, plexi etc etc

Link: http://tinyurl.com/6tfnh5v

Also selling my old Hori EX2 I have no use for this stick anymore, maybe someone else can get something from it

Link: http://tinyurl.com/cnk9ur5

New Sanwa silenced parts.

Impressive.

Sadly, the stick itself looks like it'll be massively up-priced, so... I guess you could ask Sairus or Monkeyto to buy you one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭recnib

I watched the video for that Hori fighting edge, looks class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭recnib

So yeah i was thinking of getting a Mad Catz TE stick and i was just wondering if that's a good choice, or is there something better ?

• Advertisement

recnib wrote: »
    So yeah i was thinking of getting a Mad Catz TE stick and i was just wondering if that's a good choice, or is there something better ?

I'm no authority on sticks or anything, but I've owned a TE before and they are very nice, there's plenty of space on the face and all of the secondary function buttons are well out of the way, and the parts and build quality are all very good. The lack of cross-platform compatibility might be an issue depending on what you're going to use it for, but if you buy an Xbox one you can dual mod it for ps3 if you ever need to.

I'm using a Qanba Q4 RAF at the moment, am just getting used to it. It's really nice, and is compatible with pc, ps3 and 360 out of the box, has all the same quality Sanwa parts, has a carry handle and is quite mod friendly. Only downside to it is the location of the start button is on the face, which takes a bit of getting used to if you have large hands or like to use the 3p/3k macro buttons.

Price wise they are about the same, so I'd say it would just come down to personal preference. You should come along to a casuals and try out a few people's sticks and see what suits you before you buy.

Advertisement