Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Street Fighter Tournament - 20th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Speedhaak

Well then, they could take a trip over here and we could introduce them to the wonder of the woolshed kareoke.

Trying to coax City dwelling hobbits from their perch in London is no easy feat. Similar in art, to getting your Dubs down to Cork.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Speedhaak wrote: »
    Trying to coax City dwelling hobbits from their perch in London is no easy feat. Similar in art, to getting your Dubs down to Cork.

Ah ah ah. The ONLY reason we're not there is because we already promised we'd be in Belfast this weekend ;)

Believe me I would be supporting this if I could, just like DS and the glacial league.

Next time Gadget, next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

If anyone can bring a TV it'd be fantastic. We've got a surplus of xboxes vs TVs for the moment!
    And multitap extension leads, those are always handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

Just got back from the cork tournament. I thought there was a good turn out. congratz to Sairus and SpeedHaak who gave me some good games today. Until next time gentlemen.

• Advertisement

Cheers to everyone who came. 14 attendees in total was plenty enough for the first event in my humble opinion.
    A full list shall be up later, but for the moment the top three were:
    1st) Sairus
    2nd) Speedhaak
    3rd) Prenelf

See? I can win tournaments people know about too! I just have to carefully time them so all the Dublin folk have other tournaments to go to elsewhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I'd appreciate if you'd only post the names of those who placed 1st-13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

GGs to everyone I played today, good fun, though Seanalots Bison left me feeling a little salty. :pac:

Not to worry, I'm going straight to the lab to work out how to beat and punish what he destroyed me with.

Not often I get to say this.

Where's the videos? :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sorry I didn't make it down lads, I simply couldn't afford it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭J.I.M.

Congrats to Sairus, it was a good tournament. I thought I was doing good until the second phase, where I lost to Sai and then Seans Bison. Had to wash the salt away with a pint :P

And the absence of Honda players was... relieving :D

J.I.M. wrote: »
    And the absence of Honda players was... relieving :D
    This. A thousand times this.

Videos being converted at the moment. Thay'll be up in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

GGs to everyone I played today, good fun, though Seanalots Bison left me feeling a little salty. :pac:

Not to worry, I'm going straight to the lab to work out how to beat and punish what he destroyed me with.
    What did he do? I played him many times today.

Sorry I couldn't make it guys, I was extremely stressed and kinda thought it was next weekend as well.

Not often I get to say this.
    Where's the videos?
    I dont have my videos up one the same night as a tournament this one time and people are already impatient...

Cheers for Misty_Choas for taking command of the camera during the top 8. I cant leave my camera running like the Doomcam so I generally just record my matches, or matches when I'm not playing so I can turn it on and off between games. This time you get to see non-Rose matches!
    Also I sort of forgot to charge the camera before the tournament, so I figured it'd be better to charge during groups than miss out on the finals like I have a habit of doing. =/

As there was only 14 at the event we did 3 groups and then a top eight. Seemed to work out grand enough.
    The venue was also pretty perfect. Plenty of room for the 6 setups and heaps of extra space to expand when the crowds get bigger.
    Cheers to everyone who brought equipment in the end - those monitors were a little better than the tiny CRTs I remembered at the last second in my house. =)

Grand Final

Winners Final

Losers Final

Losers Semis

Oh yar, forgot to list the actual rankings =)

Final rankings from the event were:

1st - Sairus
    2nd - Speedhaak
    3rd - Prenelf
    4th - Dreadmonkey
    5th - Storm
    5th - Seanalot
    6th - J.I.M
    6th - Erinsoup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

And here is the vlog based on what I shot from camera phone yesterday.

BTW, the first bit with the moving statue people was added in for randomness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Glad to see my friends from Tralee participated in the end (Storm, Erinsoup, Fruitpunch and co), I wasn't sure if they were going to make it despite my constant and frequent pestering. Gratz to some of them making top 8 too :D

Also special props to Robot JIM, who seems to attend every tournament held anywhere :pac:

Good weekend guys, great games had. Thanks to Sairus for organising the day out. And thanks for the videos, of which you can also view on a site I've been developing for small scale Street Fighter Communities. http://www.mordor-mashup.com/ - Results from another Tournament are also up (Mordor Mashup) - You should check out the 'Gief that wins, he is quite good.

Feel free to register and comment on stuff, the more the merrier :D

Cheers all.

Also special props to Robot JIM, who seems to attend every tournament held anywhere :pac:

I have to get my SF-fix somehow! Though I fear this could end up being my last tourney in Ireland, with my semester ending soon, and I'm going back to Finland in January :(

And the fighting game scene in NON-EXISTENT there. Donkey-balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Not so long ago I was certain the scene here was non-existent, there's always hope.

• Advertisement

Here's hoping. Maybe I'll have to start a SF website myself and start organizing tournaments. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ganondorf

hola to all boards people, was a class day in cork, just said I'd make a post here to say thanks to ye guys for setting this up and for spreading the word around to get a good few lads up and fighting was a really great day, here's looking forwards to the next one hopefully.

Only one issue I have about the day :D those vids on youtube, the one titled "Tempest 1 - Sairus (Rose) v Storm (Chun Li-Guile)" isn't right, I would know being Storm myself I can say that I wasn't in that fight at all it's someone else's.

anyways thanks again for some great fights, really was great to see that there are some damn good gamers still alive and kicking around here and yeah hopefully see ye again for the next bash up if numbers are needed.

:D
    Storm (Stormcloudlive on xbox)

Chun Li- Guile sounds like Burning Eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Chun Li- Guile sounds like Burning Eclipse.

He, like myself, didn't make it down......unless he said he wasn't and he really did - extra practice eh!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Good to see you posting on the FG forum Storm. Glad you were able to bum a lift to the Cork tourney in the end.
    Ganondorf wrote: »
    "Tempest 1 - Sairus (Rose) v Storm (Chun Li-Guile)" isn't right, I would know being Storm myself I can say that I wasn't in that fight at all it's someone else's.

I watched this and was thinking that it did seem odd that you had dropped Blanka/Zangief, and suddenly mastered Guiles FADC Flashkick.

Also seemed weird that based on the post-match silhouettes of the players, that you had either grown a goatee, or now needed glasses :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

While this topic is hot, I would like to extend an invitation to the Glacial Super League session this weekend for the Munster brethren...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ganondorf

Good to see you posting on the FG forum Storm. Glad you were able to bum a lift to the Cork tourney in the end.

I watched this and was thinking that it did seem odd that you had dropped Blanka/Zangief, and suddenly mastered Guiles FADC Flashkick.

Also seemed weird that based on the post-match silhouettes of the players, that you had either grown a goatee, or now needed glasses :confused:

Nope my eyesight has not degraded and my aggressive fighty guile hasn't been struck down with downleftitus either :D haha naw it's class play just very different to the way I do play, was kinda thinking myself did someone record one of the many casual games I had with him but nope that's defo someone else.

Had a chuckle when I dug out this account, seems my last 2 posts were 5 years ago about some QQ at the dudes guild in wow :D whooooaaaa oldmanfeeling. but yeah feel free to add me on xbl will be living on there in about 2 days when that wow account finally dies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I have to get my SF-fix somehow! Though I fear this could end up being my last tourney in Ireland, with my semester ending soon, and I'm going back to Finland in January :(

Awwww. And I studied up the Sakura/Guy matchups. Good luck with setting a scene in Finland. Sure it happened in Ireland :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

Good games guys, also good **** especially to Sai for a smoothly run event. Looking forward to more in the future. Digging the Tempest name, very fitting.

• Advertisement

Ganondorf wrote: »
    hola to all boards people, was a class day in cork, just said I'd make a post here to say thanks to ye guys for setting this up and for spreading the word around to get a good few lads up and fighting was a really great day, here's looking forwards to the next one hopefully.

Only one issue I have about the day :D those vids on youtube, the one titled "Tempest 1 - Sairus (Rose) v Storm (Chun Li-Guile)" isn't right, I would know being Storm myself I can say that I wasn't in that fight at all it's someone else's.

Hm. I have honestly no idea who that is then =/ I remember not bothering to say who it was on camera because it'd be so obvious who was playing XD

Cheers again to all who came, hopefully the next one'll be in January. I'll start scoping out a date for it.

Advertisement