Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BoomsMMA

I agree that Scalping and Touts do ruin any ticket event not just UFC. However I think it will be a long time before someone comes up with a solution and the problem will most likely always persist. On a side note any thoughts on what would be a good fight card should UFC come to Ireland this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

BoomsMMA wrote: »
    I agree that Scalping and Touts do ruin any ticket event not just UFC. However I think it will be a long time before someone comes up with a solution and the problem will most likely always persist. On a side note any thoughts on what would be a good fight card should UFC come to Ireland this year?

Have no idea on what the fight card would be and at this point would be silly to speculate.

Only thing you can be sure of is that 1/2 Irish lads will be signed up to fight on the undercard as has happened at the 2 previous Irish cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dunno if anyone got to see the "Pre-Fight" show for UFC on Verses 3, but Dana joined the panel for a few minutes and Ariel Helwani asked him "What's next for Bisping. Chael Sonnen has called him out, is that match in the pipeline?"

Dana replied along the lines of "Bisping is in trouble right now. I fully believe his knee to a downed Rivera was intentional and i wasn't happy with how he conducted himself during and after the fight, so I can't confirm anything for Bisping".

Very interesting answers. I doubt Bisping will get the boot. i think if it was another fighter he'd have gotten his walking papers straight afterwards. I wonder how Dana will deal with him now that he has officially said Bisping is "in trouble"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Very interesting answers. I doubt Bisping will get the boot. i think if it was another fighter he'd have gotten his walking papers straight afterwards. I wonder how Dana will deal with him now that he has officially said Bisping is "in trouble"?

The only way they will boot Bisping is if he's no longer any use to them. Currently he's still one of (if not the) most high profile British fighters around. They kicked SF and now he's a valuable assett to SF so they won't want to do that again.

Either they keep him around and just delay his possible title fight as punishment, or they quit protecting him and give him some hard fights. Bisping on a 2 fight losing streak is easier to cut than Bisping on a 3 fight winning streak.

So... Sonnen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

TBH, Bisping isn't much use to SF unless they want to break into the UK market. Jacare would beat his ass, Miller has the tools to beat him and Diaz if he stepped up would give him hell (that would be a 50-50 fight though).

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    TBH, Bisping isn't much use to SF unless they want to break into the UK market. Jacare would beat his ass, Miller has the tools to beat him and Diaz if he stepped up would give him hell (that would be a 50-50 fight though).

Diaz beats him hands down IMO (literally)

There are plenty who think that might just be their plan. Many UK UFC fans are fed up with the lack of quality on European cards and if SF were to bring some of their big names and put on a big card over here they'd certainly get some interest. BAMMA got a pretty good attendance at the MEN, so it's not just the UFC that can draw a crowd now.

Long term I don't think they'd bother though personally.

scudzilla wrote: »
    And for that you can blame UFC, When ya join Fight Club to get presale tickets you're allowed to buy 6 tickets per membership!!! (8 for that big Canadian event)

I, and others, moaned in Fight Club many times that reducing the number to 2 would stop a lot of touts but they just didn't wanna know.

Sure some of the active members who you don't suspect doing it are at it.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There are plenty who think that might just be their plan. Many UK UFC fans are fed up with the lack of quality on European cards and if SF were to bring some of their big names and put on a big card over here they'd certainly get some interest. BAMMA got a pretty good attendance at the MEN, so it's not just the UFC that can draw a crowd now.

Long term I don't think they'd bother though personally.

You know, Strikeforce would be silly to try to compete with UFC in the British market. if they tried, UFC would start stacking their British cards with big names.

And even if not, a stacked SF card would still be equal to an average British UFC card any day!

SF's prelims fights are muck. Most of the fighters have awful records.

• Advertisement

You know, Strikeforce would be silly to try to compete with UFC in the British market. if they tried, UFC would start stacking their British cards with big names.

And even if not, a stacked SF card would still be equal to an average British UFC card any day!

All true, but Coker isn't known as being the cleverest businessman ever...

Some of SF's decisions have been comical and they regularly fail to properly promote their US events, never mind a UK one!

Funnily enough, before SF started trying to compete with UFC, Dana White always used Coker as an example of the one businessman in MMA who ran his company properly.

Thing is, now SF are trying to compete with UFC. Bad move IMO. When they had "old" Fedor, they had a massive selling point. Now they have "past it" Fedor. Coker needs to be PRAYING that Ubereem wins this HW Tournie. Last thing they need is a situation where they need to try sell Kharitanov as the No.1 HW in the world!

There have been a good few flaws in SF that have been exposed.

Matchmaking: Matching Christiane "Cyborg" Santos against a fighter called: Jan Finney who has a bad record is a great idea., The whole St Louis card aswell: Daley getting matched up with Smith and Lindland (who is a shot fighter) against Lawler.

Depth of the divisions: All bare HW are very weak.

There is more but im not arsed going through all of them.

You're completely right! It's MMA's verison of the Scottish Premier League. Full of guys who couldn't make it in the EPL/UFC and a bunch of also rans!

SF signed Fedor and suddenly tried to compete with UFC. It's not gonna happen. They might grab a few dry-day fans with the odd slug-fest here and there, but they're never gonna compete properly with UFC. Simply because UFC is where the vast majority of the top fighters in the world are competing! Sure even their WW Champion uses every opportunity he can get to talk his way back into the UFC.

EliteXC failed because they tried to build a promotion on 1 fighter (Kimbo). When he flopped they flopped. True it was mainly due to their alleged match fixing as exposed by Petruzelli but that was all part of the plan to protect Kimbo.

SF are doing the same thing to some extent, putting all their eggs in the Fedor basket. Not quite so bad, they do have a lot of other stars that they are building, but without a doubt they have been used as M-1's play thing regarding Fedor. Renegotiating contracts every 5 minutes, disctating fights etc.

With Fedor on the brink of retirement they're on shaky ground.

Sure some of the active members who you don't suspect doing it are at it.

i know that idiot marketcnut is selling tickets and has been for some time

The last few UK UFC cards have been dire and i'm sure SF could compete, just put a few decent fights on and fill the undercard wit UK fighters, same as UFC

Elite XC did too many wrong. They tried to get big quickly. They both Cage Rage and King of the Cage. They had idiots running it who knew fúck all about MMA. They used a fighter who was only learning as their showcase fighter (UFC at the time had Liddell in that role). The list goes on and on

that idiot marketcnut

:D
    Who do you not hate in there? :p

i know that idiot marketcnut is selling tickets and has been for some time

That arsehole nougat mc crunch does it all the time.

• Advertisement

Just the idiot frenchies who joined after 83 and ruined the place, not been there as much over the past 12/18 months so don't know the new breed of idiot

In all fairness there is a right crop of idiots in there.

Maybe I'm just too laid back, nobody has pi$$ed me off yet.

Well apart from the 2 goons that got banned for screaming abuse at everybody!

Well apart from the 2 goons that got banned for screaming abuse at everybody!

Was that recently?

The main problem with FC is the Mods/Admins

Here on Boards they deal with any crap and trouble makers pretty quickly and fairly, while keeping the forums flowing. I think defsteve single handedly kept the place afloat for 2 years.

Over there they do not have a fcukin clue, i only really go there now to do a bit of trolling which keeps me entertained. I've met quite a few of the lads from there and keep in touch wit them on facebook, no need for the place now really

Was that recently?

Last month. There was the usual influx of complaints after the 129 presale. 2 fellas in particular were giving out serious abuse and anyone who pointed out that they were wasting their breath were told they had DW's ball sack in their mouth etc. Eventually one of them started threatening people and saying he was going to kick the crap out of them at the Fight Club party!

Ban hammer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

There have been a good few flaws in SF that have been exposed.

Matchmaking: Matching Christiane "Cyborg" Santos against a fighter called: Jan Finney who has a bad record is a great idea., The whole St Louis card aswell: Daley getting matched up with Smith and Lindland (who is a shot fighter) against Lawler.

That was the best card I saw last year, it was a cracking event yet you find issues to complain about. Lindland is definitely past it but Smith v Daley was a great match-up, they were both going to stand and fight and that is what happened.
    You're completely right! It's MMA's verison of the Scottish Premier League. Full of guys who couldn't make it in the EPL/UFC and a bunch of also rans!

There is a good few fighters in SF who would do well in the UFC, maybe not champions but would still be very competitive. To suggest otherwise is just wrong.

Denners wrote: »
    That was the best card I saw last year, it was a cracking event yet you find issues to complain about. Lindland is definitely past it but Smith v Daley was a great match-up, they were both going to stand and fight and that is what happened.

I felt it was a poor card too. Just because fights give big finishes doesn't mean they're competitive matches. I could take on Fedor and get my head smashed off in spectacular fashion but that doesn't make it a good fight, (some may differ ;))

Most of the fights on the card, while they gave impressive finishes, were total mismatches in terms of quality and competitiveness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

I felt it was a poor card too. Just because fights give big finishes doesn't mean they're competitive matches. I could take on Fedor and get my head smashed off in spectacular fashion but that doesn't make it a good fight, (some may differ ;))

Most of the fights on the card, while they gave impressive finishes, were total mismatches in terms of quality and competitiveness etc.

The only mismatch was Lawlor v Lindland, the KO's made the event exciting and if you would classify that card as poor/detrimental for Strikeforce then I would think you are in a minority.

Strikeforce are looking to expand their fanbase and an event like that was perfect to attract the mma 'layman' as such.

• Advertisement

Denners wrote: »
    Strikeforce are looking to expand their fanbase and an event like that was perfect to attract the mma 'layman' as such.

I agree. Because the MMA laymen doesn't realise that the fights are mismatches!

Daley vs Smith and Silva vs Kyle were lop sided too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement