Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen vs Bisping

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a UFC chit chat thread, but with Sonnen's mouth having already started to run, it's surely only a matter of time before this fight is made.

I did have a theory that Bisping would be given a title shot if he got past Rivera, but I think the scandal about his behaviour at 127 may have stopped that.

So far from Sonnen...

Open letter to Joe Silva;
    To: Joe Silva, Matchmaker Extraordinaire,
    Re: Spitsbing & his tainted victory

Joe:

If you get a chance to talk with him, please mention to your idiot-in-residence Michael Spitsbing it’ll be a little tougher to knee ME in the head when I’m charging at him like a runaway train and mincing him through the fence like a boiled potato, should we ever have the pleasure of each other’s company for a few (VERY few) moments in the Octagon.

Oh; and I’d suggest to him being a little careful about spitting on any of MY cornermen, since any one of them can beat him up as badly as I can. Thanks ever so much. Hope all is well.

-Chael Sonnen

And now he claims that Bisping has been told he must face Sonnen or be cut!

"I happen to know, from one of my very highly-placed sources at the UFC, that Michael Bisping's 'goodwill account' is seriously overdrawn with the company. He's on very thin ice wearing really sharp skates, if you know what I mean. So, there are only TWO possible outcomes for him: He can fight me, or he can get released,"

"He needs to fight me to keep his job. But...and this is a big but...I don't have to fight Michael Bisping to keep my job. If I decide not to fight him, they'll set me up with some other contender I can ridicule, then pound into fine powder. But Bisping's got me, or he's gone. I hold the "whip hand" in this deal; so if he wants to feed his family without going on the 'dole', he better apologize."

"Spitting on Jorge Rivera's cornermen brought disgrace to himself, to the sport, and to all fighters, me included. That's why, first and foremost, Michael Bisping owes me an apology," Sonnen said. "Once he agrees to do that, I'll decide what form his apology should take. I may want a singing apology. I may want him to choreograph and perform a little "apology dance". I may make him kiss my ring like I'm the Pope, or kneel before me like I'm the King and he's being knighted. I'm not sure what I'll decide on...but he does owe me an apology."

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/77575.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And Bisping thought Rivera talked crap about him???

Gonna be a long wait for this one to happen.

And the latest from White...

http://www.5thround.com/69736/ufc-president-dana-white-michael-bisping-intentionally-threw-illegal-knee-hes-in-trouble/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I like Sonnen, the guy's never boring and winds people up perfectly.

Hope he does get the Bisping fight cos i can see him starting Bisping's career as a gatekeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Every one Sonnen fights their jobs are on the line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I wonder just how long Sonnen would last on boards without being banned ha.

Depends which forum, if it was AH where certain mods are ban happy then not too long ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know there's a UFC chit chat thread, but with Sonnen's mouth having already started to run, it's surely only a matter of time before this fight is made.

I did have a theory that Bisping would be given a title shot if he got past Rivera, but I think the scandal about his behaviour at 127 may have stopped that.

So far from Sonnen...

Open letter to Joe Silva;

And now he claims that Bisping has been told he must face Sonnen or be cut!

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/77575.html
    Bisping is a complete a$$hole. I used to wonder why he seemed so unpopuliar but can see why after UFC 127.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

LOL sounds like the UFC's loudmouthed, felonious, drugs cheat-in-residence is desperately trying to remain relevant while suspended.

Chael needs to freshen up his act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'd love to see this fight signed! The pre-fight trash talk would be relentless from both camps & Sonnen would toy with Bisping as if he was a puppet on strings!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And Bisping thought Rivera talked crap about him???

Gonna be a long wait for this one to happen.

And the latest from White...

http://www.5thround.com/69736/ufc-president-dana-white-michael-bisping-intentionally-threw-illegal-knee-hes-in-trouble/

Dana seems convinced that the knee was intentionally. Does anyone think there is a comparison between what Bisping did and Paul Daley's actions vs Kos?

I'm probably dragging the thread off topic with that question.
    I would love to see Sonnen pound on Bisping for 3 rounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Yeah I have two opinions on Bisping, the first is that basically, he's an absolute tinker whose had a nice easy run in the octagon with mediocre opponents and very favourable judging. For example 120, no way in hell he won all 3 rounds. I think most English fans also felt/feel this way which says a lot!

Then second is that I love seeing him win... So that I can see him either get a title against Silva or at least meet a decent opponent, which now looks like Sonnen and then he'll be shown for the mid standard fighter that he is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Haha, I love how Sonnen, a cheating bonified criminal, tries to say bisping is a disgrace to the sport.

I would still love to see the fight though, two absolute idiots trying to one up eachother will make for good entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sonnen is going to mangle Bisping. Much better wrestling, decent striking. Combo to maul Bisping particulary when Bisping trains with that glorified striking school called Wolfslair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

Spitting and juicing are the two most degrading aspects I have witnessed in MMA, I would have little interest in watching two scumbags fighting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Denners wrote: »
    Spitting and juicing are the two most degrading aspects I have witnessed in MMA, I would have little interest in watching two scumbags fighting each other.

I guarentee you'll watch!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I guarentee you'll watch!

:rolleyes:

I would have no interest in watching a fight that is a blatant mismatch ;)

:rolleyes:

I would have no interest in watching a fight that is a blatant mismatch ;)

I'd take great pleasure in watching such a mismatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Probably line both up for the next TUF series.

Buy's are what matters and both can build the fight over the weeks to do a major box office.

Probably line both up for the next TUF series.

Buy's are what matters and both can build the fight over the weeks to do a major box office.

That's a great shout! They'd be sparring verbally throughout the series.

But Bisping already did TUF. Reckon they'd give him another go?

If it puts arses on seats then they'd have him for every season

Only thing going against this idea is Dana's recent comments about the knee and Bispings behavior during and after the fight, he said that he'd be punished, giving him TUF would hardly be a punishment

scudzilla wrote: »
    If it puts arses on seats then they'd have him for every season

Only thing going against this idea is Dana's recent comments about the knee and Bispings behavior during and after the fight, he said that he'd be punished, giving him TUF would hardly be a punishment

According to some of the previous coachs' comments, doing TUF is a nightmare for which they get paid next to nothing and would probably feel like punishment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

In the first few series of TUF, it seemed like Matt Hughes was a coach on every season! He was a coach on seasons 2, 5, and played a smaller role in season 4.

Then Rampage was coach in 7 and 10, even though he hasn't a clue about coaching judging from his performances.

I don't think this fight will happen solely for the reason that Bisping is coming off a win whereas Sonnen is coming off a loss. They rarely make matchups in this scenario. Perhaps they will feed Bisping to Okami or someone first to make sure he gets a loss.

I'm not sure what all the hype is about now anyways that Sonnen was known to have juiced (whatever about his argument, seems very shakey). He probably wouldn't have the same levels of aggression and isn't near the top of the ranks in terms of talent IMO. Unless they're going to allow him to continue to take testosterone supplements.

The sh1t talking would be first rate though if they were coaches on TUF. Possibly very headwrecking from the word go.

Two sh1t-talking fighters both coming off losses though that would be just as entertaining are Hardy and Koscheck. I doubt Koscheck would be put on the show again so soon though.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Unless they're going to allow him to continue to take testosterone supplements.

He will be allowed take testosterone supplements, but he can't have over 14 times (iirc) the required amount.

*waits for ScareGilly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 molum

Sonnen Bisping would be a good hyped fight.

i think that bsisping antics helped his career even if they are disgusting

sonnen's trash talk is so ridiculous that it is hard to take him seriously.

I imaging that sonnen would win by decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭drdoon

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Dana seems convinced that the knee was intentionally. Does anyone think there is a comparison between what Bisping did and Paul Daley's actions vs Kos?

I'm probably dragging the thread off topic with that question.
    I would love to see Sonnen pound on Bisping for 3 rounds though.

Yes, Bisping did it during the fight itself and not after the bell, thats the most important point. He can claim it was a mistake. I don't know if it was or was not a mistake. He wanted to kick his rear regardless, kneeling down or not. Perhaps his anger just got the better of him (good knee though if it were PRIDE rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

He will be allowed take testosterone supplements, but he can't have over 14 times (iirc) the required amount.

*waits for ScareGilly*

You know me too well...
    Free Chael Sonnen! :rolleyes:
    drdoon wrote: »
    Yes, Bisping did it during the fight itself and not after the bell, thats the most important point. He can claim it was a mistake. I don't know if it was or was not a mistake. He wanted to kick his rear regardless, kneeling down or not. Perhaps his anger just got the better of him (good knee though if it were PRIDE rules)

Bring back Head Stomps, soccer kicks and knees to a downed opponent.. Pride rules are the best! :cool:

Lets get a campaign together to get Vanderlai Silva elected as head of the sports governeing body. Get some PRIDE rules brought into UFC etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I still want to see this fight, but just to play devil's advocate...

What if Bisping won?

There's no doubt Sonnen is a better wrestler, but so was Evans. Bisping's wrestling is underrated and if he could prevent Evans from taking him down and/or get right back up again like he did, he may do the same to Sonnen. If it stays on it's feet then Bisping could just use his "jab and move" striking to win on points, like he did against Leben and to a lesser extent Akiyama.

Scary thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Quote of the week right there :D

Sonnen's got too much 4 BisssssPINGGGGGGGGG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

Bisping is a mouth yeah, but nothing would be better than Sonnen getting pounded out by him. Unlikely yes, but Sonnen is a steroid head (proven) trash talking american jock who needs to get his face re-arranged for the amount of crap that he talks. Most of it ain't even funny, it's just...cringe worthy.
    If Sonnen gets somebody decent on the ground he would get owned. Lying in guard rabbit punching ain't a great style to finish fights or to convincingly dominate someone.

Advertisement