Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Apparently he had 2 girls in the car at the time. And neither was his fiance... :rolleyes:

Legend! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Silva is out of the Shogun fight with yet another back injury.

Jun 1, 2012 - Another back injury has forced Thiago Silva to pull out of his UFC 149 fight against Mauricio Rua, MMA Fighting has confirmed with Silva's manager Dan Lambert.

MMA Junkie first reported the news Friday afternoon.

According to Lambert, he doesn't believe Silva will need surgery to fix the lingering back issue that has plagued Silva's career over the last couple of years. Silva's bad back kept him out of action for an entire year in 2010 and it also bothered him enough going into his UFC 125 fight against Brandon Vera to force him to take prohibitive prescription steroids, which got him suspended for another year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The Brazilian finally returned to action in April, only to lose a unanimous decision to Alexander Gustafsson in Sweden.

"Hopefully not long," Lambert said in response to how long Silva will be sidelined for, "but no way he could prepare for Shogun."

According to MMA Junkie, UFC president Dana White wants to replace Silva with Glover Teixeira, who defeated Kyle Kingsbury in 1:53 last week at UFC 146.

When contacted by MMAFighting.com, Teixeira's trainer John Hackleman would only say that "there is an interest on both sides."

And just in case you were wondering, Alexander Gustafsson's trainer Eric Del Fierro told MMAFighting.com that the UFC hasn't contacted his fighter yet about meeting Rua in a little less than two months.

UFC 149, headlined by Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch for the UFC featherweight title, takes place July 21 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Cannot wait for Sonnen vs Silva 2:D, I would like to see Sonnen ground and pound Silva again but I have a sneaky suspicion that Silva will train harder than he ever did before and give Sonnen a real test.

Yet another fighter goes down the TUE route......

20120526_jla_ac4_709_extra_large.jpg
    Ron Chenoy-US PRESSWIRE - PresswireMore photos »
    6 days ago: May 26, 2012; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Frank Mir prepares to fight against Junior Dos Santos (not pictured) during the UFC 146 at the MGM Grand Garden event center. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-US PRESSWIRE

Browse more photos »
    There's that T-word again.
    Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight titleholder Frank Mir, who was unsuccessful in his bid to reclaim the crown from Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 last Saturday night (May 26, 2012) in Las Vegas, competed with a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).
    Pro MMA Radio host Larry Pepe confirmed the TUE earlier today.
    I'm sure the irony is not lost on most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, seeing as how "Cigano" lost his original opponent, Alistair Overeem, thanks to some shenanigans surrounding the use of testosterone prior to fight night. Mir's condition (and subsequent application) differs from that of "Demolition Man's" in that Mir was required to test within certain levels before and after the event.
    And he did.
    In addition, he tested negative for performance enhancers such as steroids and drugs of abuse like cocaine and marijuana. Mir now joins Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson, among others, in the growing list of UFC fighters who are medically cleared for TRT.
    For all the results and fallout from his UFC 146 main event fight click here.

It's really getting strange now how so many fighters are coming out of the woodwork and getting a TUE for TRT. Is it not coincidental how they all suddenly need this treatment? Maybe it's just because he's getting older but the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yet another fighter goes down the TUE route......

It's really getting strange now how so many fighters are coming out of the woodwork and getting a TUE for TRT. Is it not coincidental how they all suddenly need this treatment? Maybe it's just because he's getting older but the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.

You had to see that coming. Any little loophole will always be exploited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Junior says he'll fight Jones if he's asked..
    Junior Dos Santos has uttered the words that Dana White will love to hear, revealing he will fight Jon Jones if the situation arises.

Dos Santos is currently the King of the UFC heavyweight division, having made a first successful defence of his belt against Frank Mir. He is expected to rematch Cain Velasquez next, after which there are few obvious challengers.

Full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Junior says he'll fight Jones if he's asked..
    Junior Dos Santos has uttered the words that Dana White will love to hear, revealing he will fight Jon Jones if the situation arises.

Dos Santos is currently the King of the UFC heavyweight division, having made a first successful defence of his belt against Frank Mir. He is expected to rematch Cain Velasquez next, after which there are few obvious challengers.

Full story here.
    I think it's a bit of a pointless statement tbh. IF Jones stepped up to HW. And got say two wins, the next step would be to call out the champ. whoever that happens to be, JDS, Cain, etc, wouldn't have the luxury of saying no.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a pointless statement tbh. IF Jones stepped up to HW. And got say two wins, the next step would be to call out the champ. whoever that happens to be, JDS, Cain, etc, wouldn't have the luxury of saying no.

I know, I agree, just putting it out there :p

We'll have to wait to see if Jones will move up first though, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Apparently he had 2 girls in the car at the time. And neither was his fiance... :rolleyes:

Indeed. If I even talk to a girl who isn't my fiance then obviously I am sexing her up.

I hate this talk of Jones moving up.

It's like a Champion can't be a great Champion anymore! If they're too good they always have to be moving up so they can fight at a disadvantage! The HW division still has guys who cut down to make 265. He'd be ridiculously out sized in the HW division!

I hope he doesn't do it!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I hate this talk of Jones moving up.

It's like a Champion can't be a great Champion anymore! If they're too good they always have to be moving up so they can fight at a disadvantage! The HW division still has guys who cut down to make 265. He'd be ridiculously out sized in the HW division!

I hope he doesn't do it!
    I hope he does do it. But not right away. There should only be that sort of talk after a champion has totally cleared out his division and wiped the floor with everyone. I don't see why everyone wants to rush him through his career. He's still only 23.

The UFC made a few cuts today.
    I'm not overly surprised by the cuts apart from maybe Efrain Escudero.

Following recent losses in the past few months, the UFC has decided to release several fighters from their roster. Among those confirmed to have been cut by the promotion were Dongi Yang, Kamal Shalorus, Jorge Lopez, and Jeff Curran who all suffered defeats at last month's UFC on Fuel TV event.

Others also confirmed to have been let go are Aaron Rosa (lost 2 out of 3), Efrain Escudero (2 straight losses), and former WEC Champion, Steve Cantwell (5 straight losses).

While not yet announced, a few other fighters has had their profiles at UFC.com removed, which usually signals being cut from the promotion. Here are the following:

- Alex Soto (2 straight losses, also lost at the same UFC on Fuel TV event)
    - Eric Wisely (2 straight losses)
    - Mike Massenzio (2 straight losses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think about Escudero though, he had only been brought back in as a replacement (having been cut before for missing weight among other things) and not only lost twice but was unimpressive.

Had no idea Steve Cantell had lost so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hope he does do it. But not right away. There should only be that sort of talk after a champion has totally cleared out his division and wiped the floor with everyone. I don't see why everyone wants to rush him through his career. He's still only 23.
    It should not happen for a few years at least. But I don't really see what the need is at all. Obviously, as a fan, I'd love to see Jones verses Cain or JDS. But the rational side of me doesn't see why dominant fighters are expected to make life tougher for themselves. Cruz at BW, Aldo at FW, GSP at WW, Anderson at MW and Jones at LHW, are all the most dominant fighters ever in each division. Each could make a legitimate attempt the belt in the division above. But, they aren't currently sized for that division. It's not their division. I don't think they have to fight bigger guys just because they are that much better than other fighters their size.

Jones moving up would require adding a decent amount of mass.
    I'm not surprised tbh. He was 3-2 in the UFC before and was cut. Given another chance and he went 0-2. They don't make TUF winners like Forrest Griffin anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brilliant news! EA MMA was way better than THQ's Undisputed. Plus we will get Randy Couture back! Really looking forward to EA UFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Here is the vid of Dana announcing the new partnership with EA at E3

Dana "UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world" what a noob :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

:D

Bit of a change from;
    Dana White wrote:
    EA doesn't give a f*** about Mixed Martial Arts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Bob Sapp was on MMA hour a few weeks ago and has since released a video about the interview. I hated the interview Ariel was so niave and stupid during the interview. Sapp is disturbed.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8224:shots-fired-bob-sapp-releases-mindless-mouth-of-ariel-video&catid=34:organizations

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29068/b-j-penn-accepts-rory-macdonalds-challenge-eyes-ufc-152-fight-in-toronto.mma

BJ coming out of retirement to fight rory macdonald

This should be good, although im a big BJ fan and would rather he didnt come out of retirement. i think some of these guys are too big, too well rounded and wont gas after a round and a half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

:D

Bit of a change from;

At the time they didn't. THQ made some serious bank with the UFC games, they are selling off all their licenses to generate some money now that they need it. Coupling it with lay offs may just save THQ while they get back to focusing on original properties they can develop.

Hence bringing in the former head of Naughty Dog as their new boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Does anyone know anything about wikipedia? I'm finding it very hard to understand what is going with wikipedia pages and ufc events. I went to have a look at what this weekend's card will be like and was redirected to this mess.

From looking in the "talk" section it seems like some genius is making objections to having seperate pages and merging them into one big giant thing instead. It's very disappointing I have to say, not that I'm completely reliant on Wikipedia for everything but it's a great and convenient resource.

The old "If it ain't broke" saying comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Kurz wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about wikipedia? I'm finding it very hard to understand what is going with wikipedia pages and ufc events. I went to have a look at what this weekend's card will be like and was redirected to this mess.

From looking in the "talk" section it seems like some genius is making objections to having seperate pages and merging them into one big giant thing instead. It's very disappointing I have to say, not that I'm completely reliant on Wikipedia for everything but it's a great and convenient resource.

The old "If it ain't broke" saying comes to mind.

I noticed this too, it SUCKS.

Noticed that a while ago, it's a pain in the nuts to navigate it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Looks like Brian Stann is injured according to Ariel Helwani's twitter.

The only decent opponent I can think off my head that could face Lombard would be Belcher. Not a bad though.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Looks like Brian Stann is injured according to Ariel Helwani's twitter.

The only decent opponent I can think off my head that could face Lombard would be Belcher. Not a bad though.

Hooseemar Paul Harris might be an interesting match up!

Shoulder injury apparently. I was lookin forward to that fight.
    Belcher would be a good match up. Or maybe Bisping, although he's fighting Tim Boetsch in July.

Shoulder injury apparently. I was lookin forward to that fight.
    Belcher would be a good match up. Or maybe Bisping, although he's fighting Tim Boetsch in July.

Belcher is injured, hand's in a cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've heard Bisping is injured too and Lombard is now facing Boetsch?

That leaves an obvious matchup of Bisping vs Stann once both recover.

Unconfirmed though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement