Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I really enjoyed 142 in Rio, intense atmosphere and the crowd was wild!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Just starting watching 144, first match, what a kick!!! :D

Follow up punches were really not necessary though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed 142 in Rio, intense atmosphere and the crowd was wild!

Was just going to post about this. One of the best events I've watched in a long, long time.

When Aldo won and went into the crowd... *goose bumps*.

Plus, how could you forget that Edson Barboza KO

tumblr_lxtws5NV5m1qa9yvvo2_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lads I've never really watched MMA/UFC or anything, was one or two fights ages ago... was wondering what would be a good event to watch to get me into it? Wanna see what the fuss is all about :)

Was in Golden Discs in The Pavilions Swords yesterday, they had 2 disc best of 2010 for €7, 10 full fights and loads of highlights, well worth it and has most of today's top fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Apparently Shogun lined up to face Thiago Silva next. Should be a violent affair.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/29/2987047/ufc-shogun-rua-vs-thiago-silva-dana-white-mma-news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bit of a step down for Shogun I think. I don't think Silva deserves this fight. I know Rua lost two in a row, but one was Jones and the other was a pretty epic fight with Hendo. But he didn't drop down the list in my eyes after those fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

lookin forward to this fight, would like to see shogun get a few wins under his belt, should be a great fight. Hopefully shogun is fully fit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    Bit of a step down for Shogun I think. I don't think Silva deserves this fight. I know Rua lost two in a row, but one was Jones and the other was a pretty epic fight with Hendo. But he didn't drop down the list in my eyes after those fights.

This is very true but I also think this fight suits him to a tee!

I predict win for Shogun via extreme violence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Jose Aldo v Erik Koch penciled in for UFC 149

LINK
    Jose Aldo will defend his UFC featherweight title against Erik Koch in Calgary after all.

According to sources close to the fight, Aldo (25-1) vs. Koch (13-1) will headline UFC 149 on July 21 in Calgary. The UFC considered booking the fight on June 23 in Brazil, but Aldo wasn't ready to fight then. They had originally offered the title fight to Hatsu Hioki, however, Hioki asked for one more fight before facing Aldo, so they booked him against Ricardo Lamas on June 22 in Atlantic City, N.J.

CagePotato.com first passed along the possibility of the bout last week, while MMAJunkie.com reported the location over the weekend.

The 25-year-old Aldo enters the fight riding a 14-fight winning streak. He's 3-0 since entering the UFC against Mark Hominick, Kenny Florian and Chad Mendes.

Koch, 23, has won his last four fights in a row. He most recently defeated Jonathan Brookins in September, and while he was booked against Dustin Poirier at UFC 143, he was forced to pull out of the fight due to an injury.

UFC 149 will mark the promotion's first trip to Calgary. The main card will air live on pay-per-view.

Is it not a bit soon for Koch to be getting a title shot? I know Hioki turned it down and they needed someone, but Koch? Really?
    I think Dustin Poirier deserved it more. I'd like to see Siver have a go but I know it's a bit soon for him at Featherweight.

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »

"Apparently" the elbows accidently cut him.It was scripted obviously, but one connected and cut him. The doctor stopping and checking was appararently legit.
    Obviousky its a lot easier when the guy isn't punching back ;)

Machida v Bader (ufc on fox 4) & Herman v Sheilds (UFC 140)

Lot of good fights being announced

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As much as I like Bader, I can't see him taking Machida.

Two changes to UFC 146

Gonzaga out of the Big Country fight, replaces by Pee Wee Herman

Evan Dunham out of the Barboza fight, in comes Jamie Varner.

As much as he isn't a very likeable guy, it's good to see Varner get another shot. Was very surprised Zuffa cut him when they merged the WEC into the UFC!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Evan Dunham out of the Barboza fight, in comes Jamie Varner.

As much as he isn't a very likeable guy, it's good to see Varner get another shot. Was very surprised Zuffa cut him when they merged the WEC into the UFC!
    Wasn't a good time to be a LW fighter. The only div in both orgs at merger.
    He had 4 fights without a win, so pretty justified in cutting imo.

I don't have much hopes for him here. Barboza by highlight reel TKO for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

May 3, 2012 - NEW YORK -- Former UFC, PRIDE and Pancrase fighter Ricardo Almeida will make his major-event debut as a judge at Saturday night's UFC on FOX 3 card at the Izod Center in E. Rutherford, N.J.
    And UFC president Dana White hopes Almeida will start a trend.
    Speaking to reporters Thursday at the Beacon Theatre on Manhattan's Upper West Side, the UFC boss said that having those who have experienced what it's like to be in a fight would be ideally suited to take MMA officiating to the next level.

"I would like to see the fighters ref and judge," said White. "It makes all the sense in the world."
    He used the man he considers the best referee in the business, Herb Dean, as an example. Dean has several pro MMA fights to his credit.
    "The guy trains, he knows the sport," White said. "You see guys out there like [Steve] Mazzagatti, he's sitting there, he's thinking, ‘I gotta get some milk and eggs after the fight.' I don't know what the [expletive] this guy's looking at, what he's thinking. Meanwhile this fighter's getting elbows dropped on his [expletive] head for 2 1/2 minutes, the fight should have been stopped 2 1/2 minutes ago. Herb Dean knows what its like to have an elbow dropped on your head."
    There would, of course, be potential conflict-of-interest issues to deal with when former fighters become officials. Almeida, who is slated to judge the Josh Koscheck-Johny Hendricks co-feature bout Saturday, won't be judging any fighters with whom he trains, for example. But as far as White is concerned, the positives of involving former fighters outweigh such potential negatives.
    "This isn't like other sports," said White. "You have a bad call in a baseball game and they have 100 more games left. You make a bad call in this sport and it affects his entire career."

Seems like a great idea. Has to be better than Cecil Peoples anyway!

Of the recent ones, UFC 144. Great event

Loved this and can't wait to watch more, I'm hooked!

Got that best of 2010 dvd too which was class.

One thing I have to say I don't really like is fighters hitting their opponent despite them clearly being knocked out, maybe I'll get used to it, I just didnt like seeing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loved this and can't wait to watch more, I'm hooked!

Got that best of 2010 dvd too which was class.

One thing I have to say I don't really like is fighters hitting their opponent despite them clearly being knocked out, maybe I'll get used to it, I just didnt like seeing it though.

Some fighters do carry on until the ref's stop it, others will stop when they see that a fighter is clearly out. Sometimes a fighter can come back around pretty quickly so you really have to keep going until the ref calls a halt.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Seems like a great idea. Has to be better than Cecil Peoples anyway!

Great news! The sooner all judges are former fighters the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭liverbear

MrStuffins wrote: »

Damn was looking forward to cruz winning that

belcher and nate looked awesome at ufc on fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Not UFC specific, but a heads up for anyone heading to the MMA Show Live in Brum at the weekend...
    PRESS STATEMENT PRESS STATEMENT PRESS STATEMENT

Monday 7th May 2012

OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING THE MMA SHOW LIVE POSTPONEMENT IN BIRMINGHAM

It is with deep regret that we have been forced to postpone The MMA Show Live at the National Exhibition Centre on Saturday 12th and Sunday the 13th of May 2012 due to circumstances beyond our control. We would like to apologise to disappointed fans for postponing the show and “we would like to thank everyone for their support and understanding, as we are deeply disappointed in having to make this decision.”

MMA Show ticket holders are invited to attend The Martial Arts Show Live in Hall 11 at The National Exhibition Centre Birmingham on Saturday the 12th and Sunday the 13th May 2012 FREE OF CHARGE.

All MMA Show ticket holders will receive replacement tickets for The MMA Show Live on Saturday the 20th and Sunday the 21st of October 2012 or you can contact The Ticket Factory about ticket refund procedures on theticketfactory.com or telephone 0844 338 0338.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, and appreciate your understanding.

- Ends –

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

liverbear wrote: »
    Damn was looking forward to cruz winning that

belcher and nate looked awesome at ufc on fox
    Here's a breakdown of the final fights of the night from the Gracie Brothers. Really interesting to see how it all played out.

Somehow, I manage to find the Gracie brothers both very annoying and very interesting at the same time.

http://bjpenn.com/video?vidid=SIAWyh6mLi0

doesnt look good,doesnt seem to be getting up in a hurry

I watched Hendo vs Shogun last night... epic.

Is Henderson an absolute freak of nature to still be competing at his age (like Zanetti and Giggs) or is it common enough for fighters to keep going at a good level at his age?

Is Henderson an absolute freak of nature to still be competing at his age (like Zanetti and Giggs) or is it common enough for fighters to keep going at a good level at his age?

No he's a freak of nature... the HGH and TRT helps too I'm sure.

I think it also helps that it seems fighters will peak later than footballs do.

For example, Silva won the MW title at 31 and his best years were thereafter.

Or maybe i'm talking ballocks :P

Here's a breakdown of the final fights of the night from the Gracie Brothers. Really interesting to see how it all played out.

I was watching with the sound down. I remember think that Rogan were prob loving the LegLock>Truck>Twister moment in Paul Harris v Alan Belcher. From Grachie brothers comments Joe was excited. I actualy thought that Belcher had the twister it if he locked the right arm up at the bottom (see the Korean Zombie twister break down)

But Eddie Bravo has posted a breakdown too.

No he's a freak of nature... the HGH and TRT helps too I'm sure.
    Accusing fighters of PEDs isn't allwoed on the forum.
    Not sure if you are ignorant of the difference, or just mis-typed. But you should prob edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Interestingly Rener and Eddie disagree on what the crotch ripper/banana split is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement