Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Kelvin Gastelum is being forced to move up to middleweight after missing 170 by 9 lbs on Saturday. John Lineker is moving to Bantamweight.

kelvin-gastelum-ufc-183.jpg

Looking at Gastelum, unless he had some mitigating circumstances in the lead-up, it looks to me like a complete lack of focus and professionalism caused him to miss weight. He's fat in that photo, plain and simple. Compared to previous weigh-ins he's noticeably less lean, and looks to me like he's around 15-20% bodyfat, which for a 23 year old pro athlete that's supposed to fight at 77kg is far far too much.

He'll be undersized at middleweight, and 12 months down the line, will most likely wish he hadn't messed this one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Kelvin Gastelum is being forced to move up to middleweight after missing 170 by 9 lbs on Saturday. John Lineker is moving to Bantamweight.

kelvin-gastelum-ufc-183.jpg

Looking at Gastelum, unless he had some mitigating circumstances in the lead-up, it looks to me like a complete lack of focus and professionalism caused him to miss weight. He's fat in that photo, plain and simple. Compared to previous weigh-ins he's noticeably less lean, and looks to me like he's around 15-20% bodyfat, which for a 23 year old pro athlete that's supposed to fight at 77kg is far far too much.

He'll be undersized at middleweight, and 12 months down the line, will most likely wish he hadn't messed this one up.

apparently he doesn't want to pay the weight management wizards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

hardly shocking about diaz, but that could very well be the end of silva!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

hardly shocking about diaz, but that could very well be the end of silva!

I'd be more shocked if Diaz didn't test positive for Weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm beyond disgusted at Silva. I know exactly why he went that route after the injury layoff. But if ever there was a person you didn't want popped in was Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Jones and the cocaine was bad but Silva and peds is even worse.

Also this is why the ufc aren't giving Nick big fights because he doesn't take it seriously. 3rd time failing a drug test, not showing up for media events and complaining when he's soundly beaten.

Could be the end for both guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The Silva failure is a bit weird. Why would he be taking these particular steroids?

The only thing I can think of is he was using drostanolone for strength (without size gains). It doesn't make sense he would be using this for a cut as it is not the best choice.

It just goes to show... they're probably all on something. Even GSP, who quit as better testing was coming in, with his bubble shoulders (a classic sign of using steroids)... come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Disappointed, makes Diaz performance a little better.

Probably the end of both as they will be suspended for a bit, can't see Diaz being bothered and Silva isn't getting any younger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Surprised Silva couldn't fight better than that with peds. Just goes to show how much hes gone. It seems like Le Tour with practically the whole peleton at it. Only they never followed news from the cycling it seems!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Sad way for anderson to finish things, if indeed thats what happens. Ive mentioned the prevalence of peds in top level sport before but it bears repeating that, similar to bodybuilding, its essentially an open secret in mma and particularly in jujitsu that most people at the highest levels are juicing. There are plenty of objective first hand accounts out there for people to read without having to listen to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Interested to see how the UFC handles this as cocaine use is OK.

Why is it up to the UFC to do anything about it. Can the commission not impose bans?. Otherwise whats the point of these wine colour blazers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I ask that as the UFC has cut fighters in the past for similar but as with all aspects of life it is one set of rules for the few (Jon Jones etc) and different for everyone else. This latest drug failure is going to hit the UFC hard so they will have to be seen to act tough. It should be no tolerance for steroid abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Very surprised at Silva, I'd say if he gets any hefty ban or fine he will just retire anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

lertsnim wrote: »
    I ask that as the UFC has cut fighters in the past for similar but as with all aspects of life it is one set of rules for the few (Jon Jones etc) and different for everyone else. This latest drug failure is going to hit the UFC hard so they will have to be seen to act tough. It should be no tolerance for steroid abuse.

I think they will try protect him, all they will do is try find the margine between showing no tolerance for Steroid abuse yet not pissing Silva off too much, he is getting on and probably only has few years left at a push

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

You know what, they're all on it. All the American guys are juiced off their box.

And the ufc can get to ****. They knew silva failed this test before the fight, but they still wouldn't cancel the fight. It's sickening imo. And I for one don't believe Jones only failed a test for cocaine. I reckon it's a cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You know what, they're all on it. All the American guys are juiced off their box.

Yeah!

Damn that American fool Anderson Silva...

They knew silva failed this test before the fight, but they still wouldn't cancel the fight.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I am ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED that this guy was caught for weed :eek:

nhO8CKo.gif

MLB didnt know how to handle it when Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa etc were going yard with home runs and built like tanks so instead because MLB were self governed they dillydallied and the problem got too big for them to deal with and stayed quiet too long because it would hurt the brand. Seems like a similar thing happening with the ufc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

UFC is becoming a joke, these tests are carried out 4 weeks before the fight and the results magically appear few days after the fight? Same with Jones.

UFC are quick to make examples out of lower ranked fighters, its time they started doing for the big draws too.If Anderson is on PEDs makes you wonder who else is in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah!

Damn that American fool Anderson Silva...

Link?

Where did I say silva was American?

You keep defending these juicers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: lads, don't throw around wild juicing accusations without solid proof.

you gotta ask yourself if high profiles like that are doing the gear, are they so cock sure they wont get caught because A. They're a huge draw and have big sponsorship (good for the UFC) heading mainstream. B. realising they're not as good without it, the UFC takes their chances and backdates the results etc.

It's all coming out now. sure even your man Fertida (spelled wrong maybe) was on TV the other night and for his age, I'm guessing 50!! he's jacked harder than under 30 yr olds I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rusty cole wrote: »
    you gotta ask yourself if high profiles like that are doing the gear, are they so cock sure they wont get caught because A. They're a huge draw and have big sponsorship (good for the UFC) heading mainstream. B. realising they're not as good without it, the UFC takes their chances and backdates the results etc.

It's all coming out now. sure even your man Fertida (spelled wrong maybe) was on TV the other night and for his age, I'm guessing 50!! he's jacked harder than under 30 yr olds I know.

No he just uses lighter weights with higher reps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I am sure the excuse will be "I took these steroids under doctors orders to help rebuild the muscle and recover as efficiently as possible". And actually this is probably a totally valid excuse IF he had stopped taking steroids a few months ago, but so close to the fight? Not acceptable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As part of a pretty severe medical history I see one of my doctors every six months. He likes me to have blood tests before I see him so he has the results during our appointments. I'm taking a lot of the stuff these guys get popped for, legally & fully prescribed of course, steroids (though not anabolic), HGH & testosterone included.
    If I don't get the blood tests done 2 months before my doctors appointment the testosterone levels won't be back yet. Everything else would be available within a week or so but the testosterone levels take much longer for some reason.
    Not saying that there's not something funny going on with the delay in releasing these test results, but there might be a legitimate reason for some delay with testing for some substances.

With hearing Silva's possible test result I just feel completely disappointed. I know it's probably naïve on my part to believe these guys are clean but I honestly thought out of all the top guys Silva would be the last one to get popped. I read somewhere, MmaUnderground I think that this was the first time he was tested out of competition, which puts a black mark next to his whole career for me. How can I trust him?
    I want to see completely clean athletes in this sport & for this to happen we need constant testing in & out of competition & serious bans & sanctions if you're caught. I want this problem fixed before it becomes a black mark next to the entire sport, and not just the latest fighter to be caught.

(Sorry about the thumbs down thing, I can't seem to remove it)

rusty cole wrote: »

Yeah did you see the forearms on him shaking Conors hand!, wouldnt say he got those solely from pumping iron. Actually that scene i imagine when he was told Conor has turned up he delayed them a couple of minutes and worked furiously on the bar bells for a minute before directing the camera what angle to shoot from!.

• Advertisement

califano wrote: »
    Yeah did you see the forearms on him shaking Conors hand!, wouldnt say he got those solely from pumping iron. Actually that scene i imagine when he was told Conor has turned up he delayed them a couple of minutes and worked furiously on the bar bells for a minute before directing the camera what angle to shoot from!.

wouldn't surprise me at all with these lads. IM glad you agree. I've mates that are 50 and training with good genes and I'm sorry, its not high reps etc, it's juice. they're all on it to stay young looking and fit apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement