Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Where did I say silva was American?

You keep defending these juicers.

LOL, I'm not defending anyone.

I'm just not sure why you choose to announce that all Americans are on the juice, in response to a story about a Brazilian who has been caught juicing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This article is only from last October
    anderson-silva-positive-steroid-tests-should-mean-no-more-fights
    “This is not bad for me; this is bad for the sport,” Silva told MMAjunkie. “People around the world love the UFC, but the kids love the UFC, and the families love UFC. It’s bad for the sport. I don’t think this is good because the sport can change the lives of the kids and the people in the world.

“When the guys test for the steroids, it’s bad because this is a problem. It’s bad not just for the UFC, but for the sport.”

Silva knows this, and that’s why he believes anyone with a positive test should be barred from competition.

“When the guys test for the steroids, (they should have) no more fights,” Silva said. “When you use the steroids, you use them for a long time. When you use the steroids for a long time, you have a problem. It’s a drug and it’s not good for the sport.”

Silva claims he is a clean athlete and his documented history indicates nothing to the contrary. The 39-year-old said he believes strongly in karma, and if a fighter is going to cheat, that decision will cost them at some point. Oppositely, if a fighter is clear-minded and free of guilt, it will allow them to excel.

“(Steroids) make the sport bad,” Silva said. “If you do the sport in a good light, you have a good life. That is my opinion.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yeah did you see the forearms on him shaking Conors hand!, wouldnt say he got those solely from pumping iron. Actually that scene i imagine when he was told Conor has turned up he delayed them a couple of minutes and worked furiously on the bar bells for a minute before directing the camera what angle to shoot from!.

TRT is incredibly easy to get prescribed in the USA, the Fertitta's have the best doctors money can buy. He is a health freak apparently and has a personal chef to prepare his meals and trains all the time. More than likely has test levels much higher than the average 30 year old . Its completely legal, its only becomes a problem if he was to compete in professional sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

From what I heard the positive marijuana test was from urine, that's why it comes back so quick. I haven't heard any of Diaz's other results. I don't know anything about testing at all, just what I'm reading in the news reports, so please excuse me if I'm wrong about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm one of the skeptics who thinks a lot of guys could be juicing but funnily enough I thought Anderson was one of the top guys who was clean. Just goes to show that you never know. Maybe this was a one off to help him with the injury seeing as he passed previous tests (I assume when Bonnar, Griffin and Sonnen failed he was also tested?), but this definitely taints his legacy.

Btw I think pushing Gastelum up is harsh. It's his second time missing weight and he was ill beforehand which caused him to be over by so much. Others have got away with more than 2 misses and it was Linekers 4th chance at FW. The whole weight cutting thing is a joke though and probably a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. We've already had Cormier, Barao and Gastelum in shaky situations and that's just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'm one of the skeptics who thinks a lot of guys could be juicing but funnily enough I thought Anderson was one of the top guys who was clean. Just goes to show that you never know. Maybe this was a one off to help him with the injury seeing as he passed previous tests (I assume when Bonnar, Griffin and Sonnen failed he was also tested?), but this definitely taints his legacy.

Btw I think pushing Gastelum up is harsh. It's his second time missing weight and he was ill beforehand which caused him to be over by so much. Others have got away with more than 2 misses and it was Linekers 4th chance at FW. The whole weight cutting thing is a joke though and probably a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. We've already had Cormier, Barao and Gastelum in shaky situations and that's just off the top of my head.

He weighed in over originally for his fight with Rick Story iirc but got down on the second attempt. Thats 3 out of his last 4 he's missed first time.

You can't say its harsh to move him up then say weight cutting is a joke as they're moving for his health I'd imagine.

That's fairier then.

And why can't I say that? I think it's a joke whether or not guys are on weight come weigh in day. If it was up to me they'd all be moving up in weight. Like I said it's a matter of time before something goes badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

That's fairier then.

And why can't I say that? I think it's a joke whether or not guys are on weight come weigh in day. If it was up to me they'd all be moving up in weight. Like I said it's a matter of time before something goes badly wrong.

Your saying its harsh to make Kelvin move up because of his excessive weight cutting but also saying something needs to be done about it for fighter saftey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

That's fairier then.

I don't know why they don't carry out the weigh in 3hrs before the fight. It'll cut out the manoeuvring that happens with water loss and dehydration. When you don't have a day to hydrate and recuperate you'll see lads fighting at their true weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Maybe same day weigh ins would force fighters to fight at better weights for their bodies, it would stop alot of the weight cutting, seen a ufc blog where a fighter weighed himself and he was happy cause he weighed 10lbs less than he normally on that day close to fight

Sorry, I explained that poorly. My argument was about singling out Kelvin. Yes, I think they should all move up technically - but under certain circumstances where every fighter is free to cut weight I think they've been too quick to push Kelvin up. So I guess there's a good (health-wise) and a bad (performance-wise) side to his move up.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Maybe same day weigh ins would force fighters to fight at better weights for their bodies, it would stop alot of the weight cutting, seen a ufc blog where a fighter weighed himself and he was happy cause he weighed 10lbs less than he normally on that day close to fight

The problem is you would still have chancers willing to cut 20 lbs and go into the ring with their size advantage, then you'd have serious problems. It's a messy issue but I hate the way weight cutting has become an essential skill in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

The only way to make people fight at their true weights is to have several weigh ins leading up to the fight. Say 4 weigh ins on the month of the fight. Fighters must be within ~5 pounds of their contracted weight or they get fined.

Never happen though, and probably wouldn't work. People would find a way round it (4 weight cuts in the month would kill a man )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

The problem is you would still have chancers willing to cut 20 lbs and go into the ring with their size advantage, then you'd have serious problems. It's a messy issue but I hate the way weight cutting has become an essential skill in MMA.

I doubt you'd be able to fight worth a damn if you had only 3hrs to recover. Look at rumble when he had a full day recuperation, his energy levels were crap. Maybe two weigh ins. One on the wednesday off camera and informal and then one on the saturday. No more than 3lbs difference allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Vagner Rocha out, Jake Lindsey in against Joseph Duffy at UFC 185. Don't know much about Lindsey to be honest. I see that he has a loss to Jon Tuck which is no shame, Tuck is a good fighter. Was never impressed with Rocha though, he never seemed up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How long does kelvin have to stay at middleweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How long does kelvin have to stay at middleweight?

I presume it's permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Silva failure is a bit weird. Why would he be taking these particular steroids?

The only thing I can think of is he was using drostanolone for strength (without size gains). It doesn't make sense he would be using this for a cut as it is not the best choice.
    What are you basing part on?
    According to its steroid profile on steroid.com its most effective for cutting. Wiki says its commonly used for cutting also.
    http://www.steroid.com/Masteron.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drostanolone

UFC is becoming a joke, these tests are carried out 4 weeks before the fight and the results magically appear few days after the fight? Same with Jones.

UFC are quick to make examples out of lower ranked fighters, its time they started doing for the big draws too.If Anderson is on PEDs makes you wonder who else is in them.
    UFC don't do the test. I'm really surprised that people forget this every time a fighter gets popped.
    If the NSAC are with holding results until post fights, its for their own gain imo.
    darced wrote: »
    Post fight test was urine only.
    Early Jan tests were blood tests - 3 weeks is still a bit long, but no idea of the detail they go into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I have worked in an analytical laboratory. Even with time-is-money type pressure on labs to turn around samples quickly, it can take a few weeks for results to be returned. If everything goes smoothly, most results could be returned in a shorter time-frame, but the lab will always try to keep it's turnaround times as long as possible so that it can meet them when mistakes happen or sample volumes are high.

@Oregano I suppose the "unknowns" would add time also.
    My last blood test came back in a few days. But in that case they were looking for known markers like liver function, blood count, hep c, etc
    The fact they they are looking for a massive array of unknown compounds makes it harder.

I think people expect it's like CSI where a quick scan breaks down the sample into all of its unknown parts.

Mellor wrote: »

UFC don't do the test. I'm really surprised that people forget this every time a fighter gets popped.
    If the NSAC are with holding results until post fights, its for their own gain imo.

Fair enough can you give any reason as to why theses results are released 3 days after the fights? Do you think UFC find out results same time as media?

Results surely don't take about 4 weeks to come back, if results came out before a fight the PPV would be in trouble

Fair enough can you give any reason as to why theses results are released 3 days after the fights? Do you think UFC find out results same time as media?

Results surely don't take about 4 weeks to come back, if results came out before a fight the PPV would be in trouble
    I'm not sure of the exact order organisations get told. But the likes of Helewani, Marc Raimondi, etc have pretty close sources in the NSAC.

The NSAC said they only got the 9th Jan results this week. The fight night results were faster as they were only urine tests (T/E, marijuana, etc).
    I think there are still tests from Jan 29th outstanding.

If the tests came back earlier. Silva wouldn't have been cleared to fight. And the NSAC probably lose a bit on the fine.

Diaz didn't actually fail until fight night, as marijuana want banned on the jan 9th tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

If Silva is proven to have taken steroids how long of a suspension is it? Is it something like 6-9 months for a first timer?

If Silva is proven to have taken steroids how long of a suspension is it? Is it something like 6-9 months for a first timer?

I would guess about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Mellor wrote: »
    What are you basing part on?
    According to its steroid profile on steroid.com its most effective for cutting. Wiki says its commonly used for cutting also.
    http://www.steroid.com/Masteron.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drostanolone

You're misquoting me.

I didn't say it can't be used for cutting, I said it's a poor choice for cutting. Why would you use it when there are much better options?

You're misquoting me.

I didn't say it can't be used for cutting, I said it's a poor choice for cutting. Why would you use it when there are much better options?
    I just found it strange that you said it doesn't make sense to use it for cutting, when that's apparently its most effective application.
    What do you think the best choice of cutting would be?

And maybe its not, the absolute most effective steroid for cutting. I honestly wouldn't know how one stacks verses another.
    But effectiveness isnlt the only consideration here. Detection, half-life, etc are pretty big factors I'd imagine. Unlike say, bodybuilding, where none of that matters and its all about the desired result.

FWIW, he isnlt the first fighter to test positive for Drostanolone
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/3/7974825/ufc-anderson-silva-3rd-black-house-mma-fighter-drostanolone-mma-news

Will Andersons win be a NC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

vmM6aVx.jpg
    Did I say weeks? 'Cause I meant seconds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement