Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think Roy Nelson is just a mad bastard to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Interesting that some news site are claiming what Nate Diaz done was worse?

What do ye think?

I think what Roy said is worse

Its not a term i'm familiar with but on reading up on it, its similar to using the "N" word?
    However, the UFC is actively trying to stamp out political incorrectness these days, and were quick to suspend former lightweight title contender Nate Diaz for using a homophobic slur. While what Diaz did is worse than Nelson's allegation, this incident, in combination with his history of turmoil with Dana White, could reasonably get him a slap from the UFC's disciplinary staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think Roy's comment is definitely worse. It has long been argued that fag and gas can be used in a simple derogatory way without actually referring to homosexuality, didn't Jeremy Clarkson get away with calling a car gay because if that?

No such defence for Roy. And reading the comments below that article, seems like Uncle Tom comments are even worse than the N word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

jesus christ who gives a sh1t, he doesn't represent me or the UFC or anyone but himself. If he wants to make a dick out of himself and say racist things then Ariel Helwani should pull him up on it like he did and we can all judge for ourselves the character of the guy. I genuinely don't give a sh1t what he said... I still want to see his fight whether he's a racist d1ck or not. Punishing people for what they say on camera? never heard such sh1te, people need to grow up and let people be themselves and stop this PC bullsh1t trying to shape everyone into a goody two shoes perfect media vehicle like GSP. I'm not saying I prefer racists to perfect media heroes like GSP, but I prefer people to be themselves so we have an honest representation of people in the media. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mountain out of a mole hill TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Mountain out of a mole hill imo.

I was under the impression that the term Uncle Tom could be applied to anyone siding with authority figures over their own people(in this case a fighter sideing with the boss, over another fighter).

No way should Nelson lose his job, or even be suspended over that comment.

I really hate all this stuff where its a big story when a fighter says something out of turn. I really don't care, they're professional fighters not politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Roy Nelson isn't particularly bright. If your gonna piss off Dana it's probably better not say racist things. Pulling the "I have a lot of black friends" card is unbelievable.

and just lol at the idea that he doesn't represent the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I wonder what it would be like if Silvio Berlusconi was an MMA fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Masked Man wrote: »
    Roy Nelson isn't particularly bright. If your gonna piss off Dana it's probably better not say racist things. Pulling the "I have a lot of black friends" card is unbelievable.

and just lol at the idea that he doesn't represent the UFC.

Well he didn't go and pull that one after the fact , as a defence against being racist , incase people think that. He said his black friends made that comment to him regarding DC.

Which seems about right, after hearing the silly comments made by DC. Black people have throw that phase at each other quite a lot . Even in mma circles on previous occasions we've had this.

A number of years ago it was a lot worse , but from what ive seen recently it's just a term people throw at each other in a derogatory manner , without knowing and /or meaning what it once did.

Mountains out of molehills is what people do best these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Dana said in an interview with Helwani that he had no idea who Pendred was unfortunately, he said he just scrolls past all the 'rally for x' tweets.

Probably doesn't mean too much as Joe Silva is the guy who's radar you need to be on but still :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Dana said in an interview with Helwani that he had no idea who Pendred was unfortunately, he said he just scrolls past all the 'rally for x' tweets.

Probably doesn't mean too much as Joe Silva is the guy who's radar you need to be on but still :(

Bollocks, Dana is just trolling there, no way has he never heard of the CW WW champ

scudzilla wrote: »
    Bollocks, Dana is just trolling there, no way has he never heard of the CW WW champ

... Really?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm surprised people aren't familiar with the phrase, I remember looking up what it means back when Rampage and Evans were having their feud, I think King Mo said it about Rampage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Why the long wait for GSP v Mini H Bomb? Can these lads fight more than twice a year please it's a pain in the hole !

Sherdog

"It appears Johny Hendricks will finally receive his crack at the UFC welterweight title.

UFC President Dana White stated Thursday during a UFC 161 media scrum that Hendricks will likely challenge reigning champion Georges St. Pierre in November. The 170-pound standouts are expected to do battle in Las Vegas, though the exact date and event number have not been announced."

8 months layoff? did they suffer serious injuries/broken bones?

people are going to lose patience with this twice a year ****..

twice in 08
    twice in 09
    twice in 10
    once in 11
    once in 12
    twice in 13

I know he was injured but if he's looking back at the end of this year at 10 fights in 6 years he should be saying to himself he didn't fight enough fights !

Matt Hughes fought as many fights in the 12 months from March 2001 to March 2002 alone as GSP has fought in the last 5 years.

Nobody agree no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Personally don't care. WW is too stacked that it means that contender fights have to happen anyway. The division being stacked kind of allows for GSP to take that much time off.

Anderson should definitely be fighting more of any of the champions. He hasn't suffered any serious injuries compared to the other champions.

It's really crazy when you think that Anderson Silva is 38 f*cking years old

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dulux99 wrote: »
    It's really crazy when you think that Anderson Silva is 38 f*cking years old

Older than Fedor, Noguiera, Tim Sylvia, Cro Cop... 4 YEARS older than Andrei Arlovski!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dana White ‏@danawhite 1m
    Pettis hurt his knee, Korean Zombie will now face Jose Aldo for the title on the Aug card in Rio Brazil.

Go Zombie go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fúcccccccccccck, I was really looking forward to Pettis/Aldo, probably most out of all the upcoming fights.

• Advertisement

Well he didn't go and pull that one after the fact , as a defence against being racist , incase people think that. He said his black friends made that comment to him regarding DC.

Which seems about right, after hearing the silly comments made by DC. Black people have throw that phase at each other quite a lot . Even in mma circles on previous occasions we've had this.

A number of years ago it was a lot worse , but from what ive seen recently it's just a term people throw at each other in a derogatory manner , without knowing and /or meaning what it once did.

Mountains out of molehills is what people do best these days.

If his friends and other black people in mma used the word "******" to refer to somebody, do you think it would be anything other than a stupid move for Roy Nelson to then use that word?

btw I'm not making any moral judgments on what happened. I'm just saying it was ****ing stupid.

If his friends and other black people in mma used the word "******" to refer to somebody, do you think it would be anything other than a stupid move for Roy Nelson to then use that word?

btw I'm not making any moral judgments on what happened. I'm just saying it was ****ing stupid.

What are you on about ?

That's different. He wasn't just throwing around the term for no reason.

The people making a big deal and acting like it's a huge thing are the stupid ones to me. He was asked a question and he put forward peoples opinions on DC's silly comment and answered truthfully.

The same people that moan about sports figures being boring and giving cliche answers and interviews , do be the same people kicking up a storm, when somebody goes off script.

Since that interview he gave is considered a big offense and F'ing stupid, by people. It's no wonder at all, why most sports figures come across so boring.

He used a term loaded with historical baggage to put forward people's opinions. If you don't think he should have had a bit more sense then there's really no point in discussing it. If you use that term you have to expect some blowback. It would've been quite easy to say something along the lines of "DC is sucking up to Dana" or "DC is just kissing Dana's ass". He chose to use a term linked to race and racism.

As for the what am I on about. I'll try spell it out. I said using I have a lot of black fiends was unbelievable. you then said "Well he didn't go and pull that one after the fact , as a defence against being racist , incase people think that. He said his black friends made that comment to him regarding DC." and "Which seems about right, after hearing the silly comments made by DC. Black people have throw that phase at each other quite a lot" I bought up the n-word example to show that it can still be a really stupid idea, even when his black friends use it.

and btw in case you missed it, my original point was that if he wants to stay in the UFC than saying that was really stupid because Dana already hates him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The way I see it is I dont think it was meant in a racist way. It'd be silly to think that. I think it was a comment that had no thought behind it but I don't think there was any malice in it.

I do think Roy was stupid saying it though. He knows the UFC are on edge when it comes to fighters comments and he should really have known better. Especially when the UFC are cutting people left right and centre. And plus the fact that Dana isn't exactly his biggest fan.

He used a term loaded with historical baggage to put forward people's opinions. If you don't think he should have had a bit more sense then there's really no point in discussing it. If you use that term you have to expect some blowback. It would've been quite easy to say something along the lines of "DC is sucking up to Dana" or "DC is just kissing Dana's ass". He chose to use a term linked to race and racism.

As for the what am I on about. I'll try spell it out. I said using I have a lot of black fiends was unbelievable. you then said "Well he didn't go and pull that one after the fact , as a defence against being racist , incase people think that. He said his black friends made that comment to him regarding DC." and "Which seems about right, after hearing the silly comments made by DC. Black people have throw that phase at each other quite a lot" I bought up the n-word example to show that it can still be a really stupid idea, even when his black friends use it.

and btw in case you missed it, my original point was that if he wants to stay in the UFC than saying that was really stupid because Dana already hates him.

Yeah and my point was its not like it's the first time we've heard that term. That's all well good , my point is I don't mind sports people speaking honestly. If that's what they said I want to hear it. Obviously they can't do that because of people like yourself. When they sugar coat things we moan , can't have it both ways.

What ? Maybe you should read up on the word unbelievable. I think you may be confused on what he actually said.

His UFC future will be decided by his performances in the cage , Dana's opinion on him is already set . Slips in the cage and not perceived ones in interviews will get him his walking papers, if it comes to that.

This is pretty boring now, care to debate how the fights will go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The way I see it is I dont think it was meant in a racist way. It'd be silly to think that. I think it was a comment that had no thought behind it but I don't think there was any malice in it.

I do think Roy was stupid saying it though. He knows the UFC are on edge when it comes to fighters comments and he should really have known better. Especially when the UFC are cutting people left right and centre. And plus the fact that Dana isn't exactly his biggest fan.

They're going to cut him because they'd contracted to make a mini-figure of him and then realised that jusr his belly will take as much plastic as two Jose Aldos.

Cheaper to cut him.

That's all well good , my point is I don't mind sports people speaking honestly. If that's what they said I want to hear it.

That doesn't make what he said any less stupid. I'm fairly sure you're trying to argue against a point I never made. It was quite clearly a stupid thing to say, you can want to hear him say stupid ****, just don't be surprised when people, you know, say it's stupid. And please stop with the whole "people like you" ruining interviews. btw it's possible to speak honestly and not resort to terms like Uncle Tom.

He cans say whatever the **** he wants and I can criticize him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Steve Mazzagatti again not doing his job!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

^^

I think Dana White may have just jizzed his pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mazzagati is terrible.
    That was such a dangerous situation and he just stood there! Good thing Burkman let go when he felt Fitch go out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement