Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The big capital letters make me believe Scudzilla :P

(cnut made me spit out my drink reading that)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It is going to be an awesome card...

But that fight isn't going to be part of it. It's the co headliner for the second Fox Sports 1 event. Not the first one which is the Boston card.

These event names are getting a bit daft...

UFC on Fox Sports 1 - 1...

Ah I see. They really need to come up with some catchier names!

scudzilla wrote: »

JUST TO CONFIRM.....I DID NOT WRITE THAT COMMENT!!!!

Yeah right. I've seen your "I love John Maguire" tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yeah right. I've seen your "I love John Maguire" tshirt.

Wasn't me that nearly creamed his pants when he sen him at the Helix last June ;)

Wasn't me that nearly creamed his pants when he sen him at the Helix last June ;)

I heard the little squeal you let out when you seen him. You practically slid off the puddle you left in your seat!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Bisping gets introduced to Karma as he undergoes surgery for an eye injury. Also says he would be interested in a Cung Le matchup.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/6/4/4397216/michael-bisping-undergoes-emergency-eye-surgery-wants-cung-le-next

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

manga_10 wrote: »
    2 different weights
    nino1 wrote: »
    You would think he would stand and trade with these guys to get
    some proper experience and fall back on the Bjj if needed.
    He learns nothing IMO by taking lesser opponents
    out by sub so quickly.

You think one of the worlds best grapplers should ignore his grappling. :confused:
    The time for learn isn't in the cage. It's the hours and hours spent in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Mellor wrote: »
    You think one of the worlds best grapplers should ignore his grappling. :confused:
    The time for learn isn't in the cage. It's the hours and hours spent in training.

Yes, I do.
    There is a big difference between sparring in training and from what you learn in the cage.
    What does he learn from subbing lower tier fighters in a minute?
    If his first proper experience of stand-up exchanges is against decent UFC fighters he will be in trouble IMO

GSP just posted on Facebook that somebody robbed his car.
    Talk about pickin the wrong car! He's lucky he didn't get caught! :pac:

El Guapo! wrote: »
    GSP just posted on Facebook that somebody robbed his car.
    Talk about pickin the wrong car! He's lucky he didn't get caught! :pac:

Ah come on, what would Georgie have done? Ground him down to a boring decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ah come on, what would Georgie have done? Ground him down to a boring decision?

speaking of decisions, Jon Fitch has been saying he might take a fight in One FC. His WSOF contact allows it.

Why One FC? Because they allow soccer kicks, knees etc and he said "I've been saying it for a while now. The fans want to see more finishes".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Bellator has uk contract with Viva freeview station now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Awesome.

Viva as in the music station Viva?

It'd be awesome if the events were shown live.

Best news I've heard all day!

Brian Bowles has been suspended after his urine test results returned T:E ratio of 20:1

LINK
    The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has temporarily suspended UFC Bantamweight contender and former WEC BW champ Brian Bowles. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer emailed MMA Fighting earlier today. According to Kizer, Bowles' sample came back with an T/E ratio of more than 20-to-1. The commission's official limit is 6-to-1.

Bowles had not applied for a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Bowles joins such UFC stars as Chael Sonnen and Alistair Overeem among those who have been caught boosting their testosterone levels without permission.

Sonnen tested at a 16.9/1 T/E ratio following UFC 117 in 2010 and was suspended for a year by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC). Overreem tested 14/1 T/E ratio following a surprise pre-fight urine test that forced him out of a UFC 146 title shot against then-champion Junior dos Santos. Overeem served a year's suspension imposed by the NSAC

I wonder will he be next to come out with a TUE request.
    I've ranted about TRT enough on here so I won't start again, until Bowles comes out with his excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

5wxva0.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/ex-ufc-welterweight-jon-fitch-responds-to-dana-whites-fight-pay-comments

dont know what hes complaining about. Ufc on average paid him 170k a year, so 140k after management/gym fees, sounds pretty decent to me. Add his sponsorship on top of that-think he came out quite well, obviously not the best paid sportsman in the world but then again hes not the best sportsman in the world and he completed in an industry that was only growing and not always the cash cow it is now. And on average he was in the cage just over twice a year

I'm actually a fan of his-nothing against the guy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

pauldoo wrote: »
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/ex-ufc-welterweight-jon-fitch-responds-to-dana-whites-fight-pay-comments

dont know what hes complaining about. Ufc on average paid him 170k a year, so 140k after management/gym fees, sounds pretty decent to me. Add his sponsorship on top of that-think he came out quite well, obviously not the best paid sportsman in the world but then again hes not the best sportsman in the world and he completed in an industry that was only growing and not always the cash cow it is now. And on average he was in the cage just over twice a year

I'm actually a fan of his-nothing against the guy at all
    Hes a gimp. I read an interview with him recently where he let it slip that because of the recession he had to drop his appearance prices to a measley $1000. :rolleyes: No sympathy

• Advertisement

Big Foot Silva is going to see his Doctor for clearance to drop down to LHW!!!

He wants to fight Thiago Silva.

The guy weighed in at 263 when he last fought (Cain) and then he looked pretty lean, how the fcuk can he expect to drop another 58lbs and remain healthy.

I think he's just doin this for attention, i don't even think he'd make 230 catch weight

The guy weighed in at 263 when he last fought (Cain) and then he looked pretty lean, how the fcuk can he expect to drop another 58lbs and remain healthy.
    It's a nonsense threat. He's offended by Thiago or whatever and is presenting it as if he's willing to drop to fight him. He is never actually attempting this.

That said, He wouldn't need to drop 58lbs. He only need to lose 30lbs or so and cut water from 225-230 like the other 205ers.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a nonsense threat. He's offended by Thiago or whatever and is presenting it as if he's willing to drop to fight him. He is never actually attempting this.

That said, He wouldn't need to drop 58lbs. He only need to lose 30lbs or so and cut water from 225-230 like the other 205ers.

You sure about that, i agree wit the first part, but surely he would have had to cut for HW as the limit is 265 (i think) and he was only 2lbs under.

You sure about that, i agree wit the first part, but surely he would have had to cut for HW as the limit is 265 (i think) and he was only 2lbs under.
    Obviously, I can't be sure, but I don't think so. Not anymore.
    He was definitely bigger a few years ago. I think he was cutting from 285+ish.
    He was 262lbs vrs Overeem, maybe he is very cautious and repeatedly overshoots the cut. But I think it’s more likely that it’s a genuine weight.
    AFAIK he’s brought in Mike Dolce to help him get lean during fight camp. I think he comes into the fight just under the limit on purpose, The idea being that avoiding a water cut, prevents gassing, improves later rounds etc. He can afford to give up some size for stamina as he is still bigger than most of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There are many HWs who I reckon could easily be LHW if they wanted, but they don't because they are comfortable where they are. There are obvious ones such as Hunt, Nelson and Cormier, but considering Cain isn't exactly ripped, I reckon he could make 205 if he was determined enough. Hell, even Overeem was LHW for most of his career.

Then there are HWs that are just too naturally big to be LHW, and Bigfoot is one of them. The guy is a beast. Granted, he is the same height as Jon Jones but has a completely different frame. I don't see any possible healthy way of him making 205. For his own good, I hope he forgets this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bigfoot is using the Cyborg Santos defence.

"I tried to make the weight but my doctor won't allow it so you have to come up instead."

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Big Foot Silva is going to see his Doctor for clearance to drop down to LHW!!!

He wants to fight Thiago Silva.

I think he's just doin this for attention, i don't even think he'd make 230 catch weight

That's a non-story.
    It should be taken as seriously as Anderson silva saying he s going to drop down to flyweight to fight Ian McCall (same weight cut required!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Roy Nelson has really put his foot in his mouth on this one...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/6/13/4428488/roy-nelson-says-daniel-cormier-pulled-an-uncle-tom-move
    UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson calls Daniel Cormier an "Uncle Tom" for saying he wanted to beat Nelson up "for Dana White." The UFC will likely have to deal with Nelson's use of a vile, racist term in very quick fashion.

Ahead of UFC 161, Roy Nelson was speaking with Ariel Helwani when he crossed a line that could -- and possibly should -- result in the end of his UFC career.

Ariel brought up Daniel Cormier's recent statements that he wants to kick Nelson's ass in part "for Dana White." Nelson went a bizarre direction with his response, stating "Having a lot of black friends. They would say that would be more of an Uncle Tom move."

Pushed to expand on what made it an "Uncle Tom move," Nelson laughed and said "That's what my friends were saying. And I was just like 'wow!' Hey it is what it is. You gotta do what you can do for the boss."

The "my black friends said it" excuse should not fly in this case. Uncle Tom is a vile, racist term. There's no room for other interpretations of what it means.

For those unfamiliar with the term, an oversimplified explanation would be refering to a black man who sides with "the white man" to gain favor. It's a term with a long and very ugly history.

Nelson's manager, Mike Kogan, may have stepped in it a bit himself earlier today when he tweeted out "Fag shoe contest Jordan vs Ariel who wins ? I say Jordan outpinks Ariel Helwani."

Kogan recently defended client Nate Diaz's use of "fag" by clumsily stating that it isn't a term for a gay man where Diaz comes from.

Kogan and Nelson's comments come on the heels of Josh Thomson's bizarre anti-gay marriage ramblings on social media in the past few days, making this a less than positive week for the promotion in terms of PR.

Bloody Elbow has reached out to the UFC for comment and will provide an update once one is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, read that this morning. I heard the Uncle Tom phrase before but wasn't fully sure what it meant so looked it up.

Jaysus Roy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Conspiracy theory time...

Is Nelson doing a "Rampage" and trying to talk himself out of a contract renewal? Maybe he wants to slip off to Bellator or WSOF for some limelight?

Plus he waits til a few days out from an event he's co-headlining to put the squeeze on the UFC. Normally in this situation they would suspend the fighter and fine them. What are they going to do this close to a big fight, on a card that already suffered big changes?

If they let him continue then it makes them look hypocritical. If they sack him the fans get screwed out of a co main event and the UFC get bad PR anyway. Roy has played this for deliberate impact and effect on the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement