Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Gustafsson officially out of the Mousasi fight.

Also, Wanderlei has confirmed his tweet was a joke.

Gustafsson only tweeted earlier this morning/late last night that he was confirmed to fight. Wonder how that got turned around...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Will be VERY interesting to see what the UFC do now. This event was essentially the Gustafsson show. You'd think they'd have learned from the UFC 151. Throwing all your eggs in to one basket is massively risky.

I know Gustafsson is the main man in Sweden but still, they need to improve on how they stack the cards, especially for Fuel events.

This could get messy now. There'll be a lot of pissed Swedes (not the vegetables).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

could they afford to pull Glover off the 160 card?.. fighting Te Huna... he's game for anything that guy

little Nog is up against Rua on 161 so that's a no go

Bader is two months off a quick first round win? hmmm wouldn't like it but

Mr Wonderful is set to meet Magalhaes end of April on the Jones/Sonnen card 4th fight down... this would be a step up no doubt and he's respected and he needs a big win after losing to Rashad that time?

Too soon for Rashad and he's set to meet Hendo in June so he's a no go

Lyoto??? He didn't get damaged in that cat n mouse Hendo fight?? hmmm maybe?

Griffin still goin? can't remember... hasn't fought since last summer prob not worth considering

Can't see a replacement really apart from Lyoto

Cavalcante is set up to fight Thiago Silva in June on the Werdum v Nog card... he's known and this would be a step up but is it possible?

Kyle Kingsbury? 3 fight losing streak in UFC .... unlikely...

Maldonado is tied up and not good enough and on a 3 fight loser as well so he's a no go

cannot see a way out of this unless Lyoto steps up but would Dana risk him getting hurt on a no ppv foreign card?

Process of elimination says Mr Wonderful, Glover, Te Huna, Lyoto, Bader or Cavalcante... to me anyway who else is there?

have to throw this up a mate just sent it - its from ages ago but I never saw it... fukin cried laughin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

eh...what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

have to throw this up a mate just sent it - its from ages ago but I never saw it... fukin cried laughin

Cried laughing?

It wasn't great, I just thought it was all-white!

hahaha fuk it no point fixin the link now

Gustafsson's sparring partner is taking the fight. Iliir Latifa.

Can honestly say I've never heard of him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Gustafsson's sparring partner is taking the fight. Iliir Latifa.

Can honestly say I've never heard of him...

Sabotaged Gustafsson with the cut and he gets the fight. Crafty fúcker :P

I wouldn't have been surprised if that card was cancelled, this is just as bizarre in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It just re-enforces that this was the Gustaffson show. Ah well, I for one wont give that much a crap about this fight. Mousasi wins easily, I hope this isn't the main event now. Surely their is a better fight on the card now.

• Advertisement

fuking right there is : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Latifi's record

Seriously this fight sucks big time and it is still main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

unknown13 wrote: »
    Latifi's record

Seriously this fight sucks big time and it is still main event.

"Main Event" is a pretty meaningless tag any way. There's no rule that says the ME should be the best.

It's in Sweden, so it makes sense to replace him with a Swede (same as when Perosh stepped in for Sinosic at UFC 110 against CroCop).

The McGregor fight could still air on the fuel card depending on the fights go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No real surprise in the replacement. It's hard enough to get a replacement on a few days notice, but not a hope in hell that they would get someone in for a European show what with the time difference. Just no time to get over jetlag etc.

Mousasi wanted to fight so no sense cancelling him. No problem with it staying main event either, I mean the co-main is Pearson vs Couture! Mousasi vs a nobody is still a higher profile fight.

right well the Couture fight doesn't interest me much either so it's all about the McGregor fight now! Mellor what dya mean when ya say
    'The McGregor fight could still air on the fuel card depending on the fights go. '

is there a chance we mightn't see it on ESPN? am I to start busking for my flight to Sweden immediately or what : ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

right well the Couture fight doesn't interest me much either so it's all about the McGregor fight now! Mellor what dya mean when ya say
    'The McGregor fight could still air on the fuel card depending on the fights go. '

is there a chance we mightn't see it on ESPN? am I to start busking for my flight to Sweden immediately or what : ) ?

Chances are Conor's fight won't be on ESPN, you'll have to catch it on Facebook to be sure.

IF a lot of the main card fights end early then they'll stick some of the prelims in as fillers, but if they all go the distance then ya def won't see it

Mellor what dya mean when ya say

As above, the ESPN broadcast is only guaranteed to show the 6 main card fights. The undercard will air after main card fights that end early.

Mellor what dya mean when ya say

As above, the ESPN broadcast is only guaranteed to show the 6 main card fights. The undercard will air after main card fights that end early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Interesting. Lump on Mousasi so? :)

Roar wrote: »
    Interesting. Lump on Mousasi so? :)

All markets have been pulled. No one has any price on the new fight. Bets with Gustafsson will just be voided and refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think the UFC have to start making contingencies after they announce a card. When the main event and co main event are announced, they should have two other fighters lined up straight away to step in if there's an injury. It would cut out a lot of nonsense, and it would mean less unprepared guys stepping in at 10 days notice etc. Also people like Jon Jones wouldn't be able to say no if they already know who the replacement fighter is.

I think the UFC have to start making contingencies after they announce a card. When the main event and co main event are announced, they should have two other fighters lined up straight away to step in if there's an injury. It would cut out a lot of nonsense, and it would mean less unprepared guys stepping in at 10 days notice etc. Also people like Jon Jones wouldn't be able to say no if they already know who the replacement fighter is.

Reducing short notice fights is great in theory. But vast majority of the time the back up won't be needed, so he's spent weeks getting ready and he's now left without a fight, which means no money.
    Having a whole load of fighters tied up as back ups would make match making and scheduling even more difficult than it already is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Mellor wrote: »
    Reducing short notice fights is great in theory. But vast majority of the time the back up won't be needed, so he's spent weeks getting ready and he's now left without a fight, which means no money.
    Having a whole load of fighters tied up as back ups would make match making and scheduling even more difficult than it already is.

It wouldn't be a whole load of fighters tied up though, it would be just two for the main event and co main event. And if the event goes smoothly and their aren't any injuries, the two held up fighters could fight on the next card.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Bit of a stupid question but how do I watch the fights on Facebook, do I have to like the UFC page?

It wouldn't be a whole load of fighters tied up though, it would be just two for the main event and co main event. And if the event goes smoothly and their aren't any injuries, the two held up fighters could fight on the next card.

But you gotta understand the cost of some of these guys training camps. Some of them are only a bit above break even after a fight when they've settled the bill of coaches etc. If they're to go into a camp to prep for a fight and then not get a chance to go out, they're in serious debt for nothing.
    Bit of a stupid question but how do I watch the fights on Facebook, do I have to like the UFC page?

Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oohhhhhhh Brimmage

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1590571-marcus-brimage-plans-on-giving-overrated-conor-mcgregor-a-reality-check
    "I looked the guy up and he's like the Irish gospel, he's like the second coming in Ireland. Everyone's just going crazy about him saying that he's on the short path to (Jose) Aldo, he's got two belts, so I really didn't give a damn," Brimage told Bleacher Report. "I looked up his opponents and I looked up his fights and f—king all his opponents were just scared sh—less before they ever walked into the ring. They were petrified, they couldn't even do anything against him before the fights even started."
    "I told everybody I can go back to Alabama state fairgrounds, put some bums in the ring, whoop their asses, and put all my cousins in the stands to make sure it looked good. I could do that, but that doesn't mean nothing," said Brimage. "He fights in Cage Warriors and then he got all his cousins in the stands saying 'Go Ireland!' and he clowns the dude and it makes him look fantastic."

Also, John Kavanagh's UFC Sweden Vlog Day 1

heating up nicely love it... sure McGregor is lovin it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Does anybody happen to know of a way to watch prelims on your phone? I've conveniently arranged to be on holidays on Saturday, and the ufc.tv app only does the main event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement