Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

New to MMA despite having watched a fair few fights over the past decade.

My Hypothesis.

MMA is basically wrestling with a bit of striking. Any time a fighter wants to make it a ground fight he can. I've yet to see a fight being forced into a standup bout.

Prove me wrong please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

your right in the sense that there is standup and groundgame involved. Why are you using the fact that the fights arent 100% standup as a negative that needs to be proved wrong. there are other sports such as boxing and kick boxing

adamski8 wrote: »
    your right in the sense that there is standup and groundgame involved. Why are you using the fact that the fights are 100% standup as a negative that needs to be proved wrong. there are other sports such as boxing and kick boxing

I'm a standup fan. I just think the take downs are lowest common denomitator stuff and you might shrug of one or two but ultimately the direction of the fight is decided by the person who wants to bring it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

See: Aldo, José

Watch more fights.

Learn to enjoy ground game.

Enjoy.

Joe Hart wrote: »
    I'm a standup fan. I just think the take downs are lowest common denomitator stuff and you might shrug of one or two but ultimately the direction of the fight is decided by the person who wants to bring it down.

It certainly can be if someones takedowns are better than someones takedown defence. the person who is taken down can also get back up though or perhaps submit them.

If they made takedowns illegal it wouldnt realy be mma anymore youd have to admit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Jon-Jones

Percentage of take downs avoided: 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

RainMaker wrote: »
    http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Jon-Jones

Percentage of take downs avoided: 100%

Percentage of DUI's avoided: 0%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mitrione made some comments earlier about Fallon Fox, and now the UFC have suspended his contract pending an investigation.

LINK
    Earlier today we reported on Matt Mitrione appearing on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani. During the appearance on the show, Mitrione unleashed a torrent of comments that can only be described as transphobic, calling transgender fighter Fallon Fox a "disgusting freak" among other things.

The UFC provided the following statement to Bloody Elbow after we asked for comment on the situation:

"The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on "the MMA Hour".

"The organization finds Mr Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and - as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct – Mr Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated.

"The UFC is a friend and ally of the LGBT community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mitrione made some comments earlier about Fallon Fox, and now the UFC have suspended his contract pending an investigation.

LINK

Can't have an opinion now without being chastised for it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

New to MMA despite having watched a fair few fights over the past decade.

My Hypothesis.

MMA is basically wrestling with a bit of striking. Any time a fighter wants to make it a ground fight he can. I've yet to see a fight being forced into a standup bout.

Prove me wrong please.

You're wrong. That's ok though, as you are only new to the sport. If I start watching cricket tomorrow, I'd probably not have much of a clue of the skills involved.

As you asking for proof.
    George St Pierre
    Takedown Success: 75%
    Takedown Defense: 88%

If George wants to keep it standing, well then the fight stays standing. Look at the fight verses Koschek. Even those 12% that succeed, he never stays there.

That's just one fighter, all of the dominant champs dictate where the fight goes. There's also a unique breed of fighter with serious stand up skills like Aldo, Silva, etc, who are extreme dangerous from there back. Taking a fighter down doesn't man you are winning.

If you think you can just "shrug off" a takedown attempt you'd probably be brought down pretty quickly. You mentioned that you play rugby. A build that will obv help you in the physical side of things, but technique trumps power every time. I see rubgy players try out MMA all the time, a lot of them even use it to supplement their play on the field.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Can't have an opinion now without being chastised for it

He went a bit over the line of having an opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Colin Fletcher released.

The UFC really seem to be clamping down on losing fighters. Anyone that goes 0-2 gets cut unless you're either Dan Hardy, Leonard Garcia or a serious brawler who puts on a great show. Then maybe you get a chance at 0-3. After that though, good luck.

Not that I've a huge issue with it tbh. They're the best organisation around and want to display the best talent so they cull the lesser people to make room for new talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

The MMA hour was interesting yesterday. First of all because it had a cracking interview with Conor McGregor but while waiting for him to come on I decided to watch the entire thing. Matt Mitrione was the first guest and got himself in some trouble by describing the transgender fighter Fallon Fox as a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak."

The UFC have now suspended his contract and his comments will be investigated. Full story here.

Lives up to the name Meathead. Save your UFC career and 2 days later potentially end it with a disgusting comment.

Shazbot wrote: »
    Lives up to the name Meathead. Save your UFC career and 2 days later potentially end it with a disgusting comment.

You know you went over the line when the organisation that has Dana White and Joe Rogan is punishing you for a media statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

MMA is basically wrestling with a bit of striking./quote]

When I watch MMA I see boxing, kick boxing, wrestling, grappling, jujitsu...

If you don't know the individual sports you probably can't recognize them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Colin Fletcher released.

The UFC really seem to be clamping down on losing fighters. Anyone that goes 0-2 gets cut unless you're either Dan Hardy, Leonard Garcia or a serious brawler who puts on a great show.
    To be fair Fletcher is hardly surprising.
    He was TUF Smashes runner up. So ne er teally won a contract. Gets another fight as he was good craic. But he lost that so he'll end up on the UK card waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What baffles me is, why people who are fans of striking and stand-up go pissing and moaning about the inclusion of grappling and ground-game in Mixed Martial Arts. It's MIXED MARTIAL ARTS! It's not as if there aren't already entire sports dedicated to the art of stand up in all of it's various forms that you can enjoy.

it would be like me as a football fan going to the Tennis forum and saying "Jaysus, they don't even kick the ball. What's this about? I think Tennis is just 2 lads hitting a ball over a net, prove me wrong!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

MrStuffins wrote: »
    it would be like me as a football fan going to the Tennis forum and saying "Jaysus, they don't even kick the ball. What's this about? I think Tennis is just 2 lads hitting a ball over a net, prove me wrong!"

It can be 2 women as well... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

What baffles me is, why people who are fans of striking and stand-up go pissing and moaning about the inclusion of grappling and ground-game in Mixed Martial Arts. It's MIXED MARTIAL ARTS! It's not as if there aren't already entire sports dedicated to the art of stand up in all of it's various forms that you can enjoy.

This is it, pure striking bores me to tears but I don't go into the Boxing forum complaining about it just being two lads swinging digs at each other and nobody ever trying for a takedown.

rain on wrote: »
    This is it, pure striking bores me to tears but I don't go into the Boxing forum complaining about it just being two lads swinging digs at each other and nobody ever trying for a takedown.

Yeah and when i see ever watch boxing all i see is one boxee tieing up the other until the ref separates it!

• Advertisement

RainMaker wrote: »
    It can be 2 women as well... :P

Really? Someone told me that before but when I tuned in it was 2 brothers with the surname "Williams"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Really? Someone told me that before but when I tuned in it was 2 brothers with the surname "Williams"?

Meathead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Not cool man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ah it was kind of cool.

Never really had time for Mitrione. His moniker "Meathead" seems to fit him perfectly. He's been in trouble before for comments on Tito's wife (he's saying what we're all thinking obviously) and he might become something of a liability for the UFC in the future especially now that they've signed on the dotted line with Fox.

Great interview with Duane "Bang" Ludwig here:
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/436614/Bang-Ludwig-I-dont-have-the-heart-or-desire-to-fight-again/

This is the thing. Its mean to be a combination of different martial arts but in reality it is dominated by wrestling.

You could have a sport called hammerboxing where people box and also swing hammers at each other. In reality it would only comprise of hammer swings.

This is the thing. Its mean to be a combination of different martial arts but in reality it is dominated by wrestling.

You could have a sport called hammerboxing where people box and also swing hammers at each other. In reality it would only comprise of hammer swings.

But you're just wrong here. Horribly horribly wrong.

You view is skewed because you like Boxing. so you want to see more Boxing.

But let's take the Main Card of Saturday's event for example. Did you watch?

The Main Event: Mousasi v Latifi - IIRC the entire fight took place on the feet.

Co-Main - Pearson v Couture - Again, mostly on the feet. Bit of grappling, bit of striking. A KO finish.

Mitrione v De Fries - A KO finish after what, 15 seconds?

Brandao v Garza - Started on the feet, bit of grappling and beautiful BJJ to set up the finish.

Corrisani v Peralta - Mostly on the feet.

If anything, if you took that event as an example it would seem there is more striking than anything in your typical MMA match. Of course that's not the case, it's a mix of the different disciplines.

Wrestling is a huge part of the sport. You think that's a bad thing, fine. There are plenty of other sports which don't include it. I'm not mad about Rugby. I could go around saying it's kinda like football with a load of Wrestling thrown in (All Blacks anyone?) but I don't. I just don't watch it. Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Mitrione v De Fries - A KO finish after what, 15 seconds?

19 seconds actually.

I mean if they weren't wrestling for so long he could have ended the match earlier instead of dragging it out. How inconsiderate.

I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show. I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show.

This makes no sense.
    I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

Then stick to watching K1. I get instantly bored when Rugby players go into a scrum. So I don't watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show. I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

I bet you're one of those guys who goes to a show and boo's the second it goes to the ground, i find this idiotic as 2 guys with a great ground game rolling round is a joy to behold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement