Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you like brutality, her fights are entertaining...

Yeah, true that if you like brutality in a cage then Cyborg Santos / Jan Finney is the absolute example of brutality that was allowed to happen by a referee.

Absolutely no way did that fight have any business going to the second round no way. The first round couldn't have been scored any higher than 10-8 but most people saw it 10-7.

Who refereed that fight again ? Kim Winslow, she should have been stripped of her licence after that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Fairly sure they can't do that. They can pull the fighter between rounds, but only the ref or doctor can call it mid round.
    Yes they can. It's simple never used.
    adamski8 wrote: »
    But it is a foul isnt it! Thats the point, it disqualifies the fighter and stops the fight.
    +1 to this.
    It's a DQ under the rules as it ends the fight instantly, not because its banned by the AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

p to the e wrote: »
    I watched the first few minutes of the video and didn't think some of them were the worst I've ever seen. Don't know if it's in there but Steve Mazzagatti's DQ decision in the Erik Silva fight was pretty terrible. But again it was a split second thing.

Pretty sure that was Mario Yamasaki.
    p to the e wrote: »
    The worst refereeing decision I've seen in a long time was Mark Goddard asking Chris Leben if he could see through a busted eye to which he replied "no". The fight should have been stopped then and there but Goddard asks again "Can you see? If you say no I'll stop the fight" to which Leben then replied "I can see" which he actually couldn't. The fight was eventually stopped a few minutes later.

Agreed, that was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hearing that a cut suffered by Alexander Gustafsson in training has put his fight against Gegard Mousasi in serious jeopardy. The fight was due to be the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 9 on the 6th of April from Stockholm, Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hearing that a cut suffered by Alexander Gustafsson in training has put his fight against Gegard Mousasi in serious jeopardy. The fight was due to be the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 9 on the 6th of April from Stockholm, Sweden.

make McGregor the main event now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gustaffson likely out of the main event due to a cut received in training.

Wonder who will replace him on such short notice.

Just checking out the Fantasy we do, from the voters so far (worldwide), 75% think Brimage is gonna beat Conor.......i pity the fools

Bookies seem to think different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

http://www.bjpenn.com/jon-jones-injured-bj-penn-steps-in-to-fight-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-159-ufc-news/

Can't wait!

Although they could've made it a bit more believable............ BJ will have a tough time cutting to 205!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Any idea what time conor's fight will be on?? Any bars going to show the card?

Any groups getting together for this one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

MrStuffins wrote: »
    http://www.bjpenn.com/jon-jones-injured-bj-penn-steps-in-to-fight-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-159-ufc-news/

Can't wait!

Although they could've made it a bit more believable............ BJ will have a tough time cutting to 205!

Nice try :D .

I have to admit I went "FCUK" for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Wanderlai just tweeted he is fighting Mousasi on Saturday. It might be an Aprils fools joke but its hard to believe it is a joke given recent events.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Wanderlai just tweeted he is fighting Mousasi on Saturday. It might be an Aprils fools joke but its hard to believe it is a joke given recent events.

April fools

Gustafsson hasn't been scratched from the card.

April fools

Gustafsson hasn't been scratched from the card.

Yet, he has a serious cut above his eyebrow, seems the Swedish MMA league, or whoever it is over there, will be making a statement soon.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wandy step up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Wandy is that legendary : )

this thing must be an April fools ...has to be... so slow only occurred to me there watchin MLB... fukin hope it is I'm dyin to see Gust v Mousasi. Gust seemed less than great recently and Mousasi is a hype train I've been proudly aboard (but nervous about watching go down in flames)

sherdog

"..As of publication time, the UFC has yet to comment on Gustafsson’s injury. Stay tuned to Sherdog.com for real-time updates regarding the situation. ..."

sounds fishy : )

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sherdog

"..As of publication time, the UFC has yet to comment on Gustafsson’s injury. Stay tuned to Sherdog.com for real-time updates regarding the situation. ..."

sounds fishy : )
    Fishy how?

It's not up to the UFC, they want him to fight I imagine. They are still waiting on the SMMAF to clear him or pull him.

A few possibilities, If Gustaf is out, what if Moussasi doesn't agree to fight Wand, it's a bit of a lose lose situation for him. If he refused would they scrap the card? Gustaf was the main draw for this in his home country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ush1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was Mario Yamasaki.

My sincere apologies go to Mr. Mazzagatti. I shall make a love heart shape with my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Because its european ufc they definately wont scrap the card because they care less about non US events. I dont think they want a culture of scrapping cards creeping in anyway.

• Advertisement

so this isn't an April fools thing... craaap... was dyin for that fight

Move McGregor up!!!!! Brimage and McGregor have been 'hypin' for weeks.... move them up the card!

I love Wandy but Mousasi would consider that a 'dream fight' - hype etc... he'd have Wandy for cardio and reach - could take him deep and beat him handily enough I'd say.

Gustaffson said he will be fighting and he does have a cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Anyone on Mousasi? (15/8, PP)

Know it's unlikely, but with the cut Gustaffson might be more open to doctor stoppage considering it was bad enough the fight was almost put off? Stranger things have happened..

I'm on Mousasi anyway because I believe he will win the fight!

This fight can't be boring for either fighter - they both need a good win and an exciting performance (now that the UFC is officially a circus:) I'm joking of course ahem) Mousasi will have to scrap to get past Gusto's reach to get inside - he'll have to be very active or Gusto is going to dictate things very quickly. I'd expect Mousasi to use very straight punching and look to drop for double legs when against the fence to dump Gusto down if he can - if he can lock hands and get those long legs together he can get him down. Gusto will be dancing round as usual changing levels and prancing round sticking and moving - Mousasi will look to go straight down the middle. I'm a Dreamcatcher fan I think he's one of the only Top drawer fighters out there who has not fought in the UFC kinda like Fedor (shh zippittt!). I was at his fight at that Bushido Rings event back in 2005 in the point..... sittin in the rafters behind empty seats barely able to see the cage haha still exciting though... first big cage event in Ireland. Mousasi v John Donnelly (caught with an armbar). He must've been much bigger than Donnelly standing across the cage that night. Donnelly fights at 170. Jaysus thinkin of the original Irish MMA fighters that fought that night, guys with only couple fights under their belts steppin up in the point depot to take on international guys - must've taken serious balls back then, Andy Ryan, Colm O'Reilly, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm on Mousasi anyway because I believe he will win the fight!

My sentiments exactly.

He'd be stopping one hell of a hype train, Dana would NOT be pleased... especially since I think Mousasi was with Fedors camp or management for a good while I think... anyway anything Fedor connected annoys the crap outa Dana. I have this opinion that Mousasi is better than he is, sort of, what I mean is that he hasn't fought the best and so he hasn't been the best or been at the best level - so this could ignite the REAL Mousasi within Mousasi... it's all a theory of course, I guess we'll see come Sat! He better not make a show of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

I think we know Mousasi pretty well without yet having seen him in the UFC. 2008 was a breakthrough year, he hasn't pushed on from that point. I think he will be competitive but not a champion. Wins over solid guys but those wins and guys have question marks hanging over them.

Lombard (unimpressive in UFC so far ) Jacare (would of liken to see the fight develop, nice KO though) Kang (not the same after gfs death) Babalu (Solid guy not WC) Manhoef (Dangerous but no ground game)

Other name wins.

Hunt, Gono, Sokoudjou, Jake' o brien, Mike Kyle.

Most of those guys he eased past, which would be expected.

He's a very talented guy, people will immediately point to his stand up. He has shown nice submission skills and GNP. He did show a big weakness in that King Mo fight with his takedown defense and ability for getting and keeping the fight up. He did do more damage in the fight though, but we know the judges don't care about that they just see the TD and top control.

Gustafsson officially out of the Mousasi fight.

Also, Wanderlei has confirmed his tweet was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Who steps in? this is pretty last minute stuff even if the cut hast been known about for a few days

would be hard to get a high level fighter to go to Sweden for this, no PPV money, time differences, weight cut etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement