Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Gee thanks Jakkass. Does that come with an optional pat on the head? My point, as you well know, was that giving airtime to stone age thinking lends it a credibility that it doesn't deserve.

This is awful reasoning.
    1) The Bible is a bronze age document :pac:
    2) We take inspiration from many sources older than this such as Aristotle & Plato, hugely influential in philosophy & European culture.
    3) Age does not dictate merit.
    4) Christianity has influenced Europe positively in its development.
    See my comment above. Obviously I mentioned Dawkins' name as an example of someone who draws a distinction between debates worth having and those that have no upside for him.

Anyone does this. I do this, you do this. We determine merit in terms of responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jakkass wrote: »
    But, to say the least, I couldn't give a fiddlesticks who Dawkins' debates with or not. He's no authority on discourse.
    He is somewhat of an authority on evolutionary biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Christianity has influenced Europe positively in its development.

In your non-biased opinion of course?

dvpower wrote: »
    He is somewhat of an authority on evolutionary biology.

That he is. I wouldn't disagree. I wouldn't consider him an authority on what texts are relevant to society however.
    Ush1 wrote:
    In your non-biased opinion of course?

It matters little whether I am biased or non-biased, it's up for discussion.

It matters little whether I am biased or non-biased, it's up for discussion.

You listed things as if they weren't up for discussion. Is the bible being a stone age text up for discussion?

EDIT:
    That he is. I wouldn't disagree. I wouldn't consider him an authority on what texts are relevant to society however.

Who is exactly then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This is awful reasoning.
    2) We take inspiration from many sources older than this such as Aristotle & Plato, hugely influential in philosophy & European culture.
    I know you have me on ignore but for the benefit of others:

Osgoodisgood was talking about credibility, not merit. The words attributed to Jesus can have merit even if there never was a man named Jesus just as the words attributed to Aristotle are just as wise even if there never was a man named Aristotle but the claims of divinity depend on Jesus actually existing and actually being the son of god. Following Jesus' teachings means the bible must have merit but believing he was the son of god means the bible must have credibility.

Of course every time this point is put to you you miss the point in exactly the same way by conflating credibility with merit as if you haven't been corrected dozens of times before so it's a good thing you have me on ignore so we don't have to go through the usual pedantry. Perhaps Osgoodisgood would like to put it to you if he/she is brave/bored enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is awful reasoning.

You'll find that Plato and Aristotles works aren't prized for being supernatural guidebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    believe in evolution for that matter.

I'm afraid it's not a case of believing in evolution. It's case of understanding evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

and thats just for starters

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    You'll find that Plato and Aristotles works aren't prized for being supernatural guidebooks.
    Still, I always wondered what the world would have turned out like if not Jesus, but the far braver Socrates was the hero of half the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

robindch wrote: »
    Didn't expect that.

Nobody ever does..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think ye should go back outside the door and make your entrance again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also
    http://www.reoiv.com/images/random/dark-ages.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

LOL @ the way atheists think that they have had realisations that nobody else has had and that everybody around them believes in a god or practises religion.

The reality is that the most people in the western world lose belief in a god and/ or lose belief in organised religion by the time they reach about 20 but they just keep it to themselves and live their lives as best they can without interfering with other people's lives. I'd say about 80% of people I know (and I'm only roughly guessing because religion isn't something I'd tend to discuss with people) are at least agnostic and leaning towards atheism but most would never bring it up and would just attend mass etc. for the sake of fitting in to social norms (nothing wrong with that is there? after all, if it's all bullshit who cares..)

Technically I'm an atheist but I have no interest in pushing atheism on others. The type of person who considers themselves to be a militant atheist is usually, I find, not likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The type of person who considers themselves to be a militant atheist is usually, I find, not likeable.

Do you mean:
    The type of person who I consider to be a militant atheist is usually, I find, not likeable.
    ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The reality is that the most people in the western world lose belief in a god and/ or lose belief in organised religion by the time they reach about 20 but they just keep it to themselves

I think you'll find that you are wrong. But feel free to provide links to studies that back up your statements.

tricky D wrote: »
    Also expected. Having read Medieval Philosophy at university I'm inclined to disagree.

"Dark ages" was a term coined by Renaissance humanists, not as a criticism of religion, but as a criticism of Scholastic philosophy. They were every bit as Christian as their Medieval counterparts.

I suggest you do some research.

I think you'll find that you are wrong. But feel free to provide links to studies that back up your statements.

Fair enough, I'm probably wrong...and come on, you know I have no links to back myself up!! On the surface of it though, I can think of about 5 people I know who believes in God or organised religion. As a rough guess, what percentage of your social circle would not consider themselves athiest or richard-dawkins-stiyle agnostic (ie. calling themselves agnostic based on the principle that you can't prove there'e no God despite being sure in practical terms)

And yes dvpower, I should have said what you said, sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As a rough guess, what percentage of your social circle would not consider themselves athiest or richard-dawkins-stiyle agnostic (ie. calling themselves agnostic based on the principle that you can't prove there'e no God despite being sure in practical terms)

No idea what %, but very few of them I think. Rest are theists of some sort.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    No idea what %, but very few of them I think. Rest are theists of some sort.

Really? I'm in my early 20's and I'm wondering is atheism a passion of youth or something...I know few theists. interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

LOL @ the way atheists think that they have had realisations that nobody else has had and that everybody around them believes in a god or practises religion.

Well just about every person has the religion or religious belief they have because they were told this is how it is from a very young age, they did`t suddenly come to a realisation themselves did they?

So maybe athiests did come to a realisation on their own, it seems more likely they did than a person suddenly realising christianity is correct. A christians parents are usually christians, and grandparents etc, and the same with other religions. So its just passed down, not suddenly realised.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So maybe athiests did come to a realisation on their own, it seems more likely they did than a person suddenly realising christianity is correct. A christians parents are usually christians, and grandparents etc, and the same with other religions. So its just passed down, not suddenly realised.

This certainly isn't true globally. Most Christians live outside Europe, North America, South Africa, and Australia & New Zealand, and most growth is by conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

This certainly isn't true globally. Most Christians live outside Europe, North America, South Africa, and Australia & New Zealand, and most growth is by conversion.

Religion certainly is passed down, as is certainly true globally:

http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/mideast/info/maps/religions-map.gif

If you were born in India you'd most likely be a Hindu. If you were born in the Middle East you'd most likely be a Muslim.

Do you really think it's an accident that you can get a fairly decent view of the movement of people over the past view centuries by looking at what regions have the same religions? South America having the same brand of Christianity as Spain and Portugal. Canada, Australia and most of the US having the same brand of religion as the UK?

It's no coincidence that the child of Muslim parents is most likely going to become a Muslim, that a child of Hindu parents is most likely going to become Hindu, and that a child of Christian parents is most likely going to become Christian.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Religion certainly is passed down, as is certainly true globally:

http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/mideast/info/maps/religions-map.gif

If you were born in India you'd most likely be a Hindu. If you were born in the Middle East you'd most likely be a Muslim.

Citations will be following shortly. Note, I wasn't discussing Hinduism, or Islam. I was discussing Christianity. I would agree that largely religion is passed down through families, but Christianity is mostly by conversion.

Citations will be following shortly. Note, I wasn't discussing Hinduism, or Islam. I was discussing Christianity. I would agree that largely religion is passed down through families, but Christianity is mostly by conversion.

What are they converting from so,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If you remove Africa from consideration is that still the case Jakkass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Well if you're just talking about Christianity, it's interesting to note that the % of Christians in the world is actually falling.

strobe wrote: »
    If you remove Africa from consideration is that still the case Jakkass?

Missionary: Do you believe in God?

Starving African: No.

Missionary: You want this sandwich though right? I'll ask you again....

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Missionary: Do you believe in God?

Starving African: No.

Missionary: You want this sandwich though right? I'll ask you again....

Exactly what i was thinking, i just could`t think of a good way of putting it, now i dont have to.

Advertisement