Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

robindch wrote: »
    I've already quoted figures from the "Irish Catholic" which suggest that a priest is FORTY TIMES more likely to be a convicted pedophiles than a regular member of the public.

Forty times more likely according to the IC.

If you only take one thing away from this thread, then take that figure :)

Where do they get those figures from out of curiosity? And why would that be the case?

bluewolf wrote: »
    He didn't say that. At all.

He said ' It's kind of part of the job description'.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I've already quoted figures from the "Irish Catholic" which suggest that a priest is FORTY TIMES more likely to be a convicted pedophiles than a regular member of the public.

Forty times more likely according to the IC.

If you only take one thing away from this thread, then take that figure :)

And Prinz has already quoted a report which sais that Clergymen had a 3.2% likelihood of being paedophiles as opposed to 4.4% for babysitters. Whose more righter?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

optogirl wrote: »
    Again, it is the organisation and how they deal with it that is the problem. If a plumber or mechanic or greengrocer abuses, their employer would not deny this and just move them to another area to continue their abuse.

You may want to look into the US public education system.... and say the US Boy Scouts investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Audrey,

Can you tell me if the RCC has said they are sorry for the abuse scandel yet ?

Or, more deviously, did they just look for forgiveness ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mossyc123 wrote: »
    And Prinz has already quoted a report which sais that Clergymen had a 3.2% likelihood of being paedophiles as opposed to 4.4% for babysitters. Whose more righter?!

No, he quoted a report that said 3.2% of paedophiles were Clergymen, not 3.2% of Clergymen were paedophiles. There's a big difference.
    prinz wrote: »
    You may want to look into the US public education system.... and say the US Boy Scouts investigation.
    So what, I'll say again: Does that distract from the abuse the catholic church has been part of?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Where in the description of the priesthood does it say you have to be a Child Molester to join or that in joining you must agree to spend your life abusing children?

Did you actually read my post????

And the "it" was...?

Seriously? The prediliction to abuse children. This was what came before that.

It's not exactly a secret that the numbers of homosexual priests are utterly distorted when compared to the rest of society, and it's quite likely that the number of pedophiles in the clergy is equally higher than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

or I may not want to - fairly horrific reading I'd imagine. And what has that got to do with it? Other organisations harbour sexual predators so lay off the RCC? I live in Ireland and my country and countrymen/women have been stilted and abused by the RCC so that is what I am talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe instead of inserting your own meaning for "it" you could take the one from his post?

• Advertisement

And that argument has been demonstrated to have no basis whatsoever in terms of likelihood of abuse occuring.

Out of honest curiosity, where would I find the figures on that?

Saganist wrote: »
    Audrey,

Can you tell me if the RCC has said they are sorry for the abuse scandel yet ?

Or, more deviously, did they just look for forgiveness ?

I don't think so no. Which is dreadful I know.

Shenshen wrote: »

It would be fair to assume the answer to that is No

Maybe instead of inserting your own meaning for "it" you could take the one from his post?

I thought I was:confused:. What was the 'it' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Paying out to the victims yes?
    Sounds like a good solution to me, patrons of the Church pay for the crimes of the Church. Would you prefer if the State had to pay all the Churches share as well?! I personally have no trouble with any money I put into the basket going towards victims of abuse
    I think that the bloke in the funny hat with the palace full of treasure should pay for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Where do they get those figures from out of curiosity?
    From the prison service -- they're convicted pedophiles, serving jail sentences at the time (about two years back). I haven't rung up the prison service to verify this number, but it seems as if it's in the right ballpark to me.
    And why would that be the case?
    Lots of potential reasons, but I'd say that one of them is because they're denied the opportunity to have legitimate sex, so they go after the illegitimate stuff.

Also, a lot of them were linked with schools and the easy availability of kids -- I recall one priest from my school who used to hang around the boys showers all the time.

There are other reasons, but this isn't the right forum for discussing them.

I did. Maybe I took it up wrong though?

She.
    And she said that it's part of the job description making the job very unattractive for people with a normal sex life. So who remains to fill the vacancies?

I don't think so no. Which is dreadful I know.

Point proven.

Do you still want to support this Church ? If so, why ?

Oh, And one other thing.

Why have they not said sorry yet ?

From the prison service -- they're convicted pedophiles, serving jail sentences at the time (about two years back). I haven't rung up the prison service to verify this number, but it seems as if it's in the right ballpark to me.Lots of potential reasons, but I'd say that one of them is because they're denied the opportunity to have legitimate sex, so they go after the illegitimate stuff.

Also, a lot of them were linked with schools and the easy availability of kids -- I recall one priest from my school who used to hang around the boys showers all the time.

Yeah, I think the catholic attitude to sex is a huge part of this. it is wrong for a priest to even masturbate so why should he view abusing a child as any worse? It's all sin in the church's eyes.

• Advertisement

She.
    And she said that it's part of the job description making the job very unattractive for people with a normal sex life. So who remains to fill the vacancies?

Ah ok I get you now. Sorry, genuine mistaken I promise.
    Point proven.

Do you still want to support this Church ? If so, why ?

Yes because there still honest decent hardworking clergymen and women there who want only to serve their community and their god and would never dream of hurting a child.

Anyhow I'm leaving this argument here because this is way OT.

Why have they not said sorry yet ?

No idea. Clearly they don't believe they've done anything wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I really have to admit I'm puzzled as to why someone who doesn't have any catholic beliefs, doesn't want to support the church because of the cover ups, is so defensive of them and wants to belong...

I really have to admit I'm puzzled as to why someone who doesn't have any catholic beliefs, doesn't want to support the church because of the cover ups, is so defensive of them and wants to belong...

Oh Jesus don't go there again please!!!!!

No idea. Clearly they don't believe they've done anything wrong.

Nothing to do with admitting liability to the victims of abuse and therefore being liable to pay compensation to said victims ?

No way, the RCC is too sneaky to admit that.

Lets ask for "forgiveness" instead. WHAT A COP OUT !

From the prison service -- they're convicted pedophiles, serving jail sentences at the time (about two years back). I haven't rung up the prison service to verify this number, but it seems as if it's in the right ballpark to me.Lots of potential reasons, but I'd say that one of them is because they're denied the opportunity to have legitimate sex, so they go after the illegitimate stuff.

Very interesting Rob.

Maybe you could PM the other reasons? I really am curious!

Ah ok I get you now. Sorry, genuine mistaken I promise.

Yes because there still honest decent hardworking clergymen and women there who want only to serve their community and their god and would never dream of hurting a child.

Anyhow I'm leaving this argument here because this is way OT.

My neighbour does all of that hardworking community stuff. And he doesn't even believe in God.

How the hell did that happen ?

:D:D

Nothing to do with admitting liability to the victims of abuse and therefore being liable to pay compensation to said victims ?

Yes that too!

My neighbour does all of that hardworking community stuff. And he doesn't even believe in God.

How the hell did that happen ?

:D:D

Never said you couldn't be those things without believing in God:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

In all fairness scolding Audrey for contributing to her parish is a big
    double standard. Have you ever bought American goods? You've contributed
    to the American Invasion of the middle east & helped keep the economy going
    while they murdered innocent people. How about their support of Israel's
    policies of forming Bantustan's in Palestine? Ever bought anything
    in Lebanon or good from there? Most likely funded Hezbollah terrorists. You
    may not have meant to do that but in some way or other you have, this logic
    just does not hold up so I don't think it's fair to scold Audrey, she means
    well when she does it & there is no way to actually show funding a
    charity actually goes to covering up paedophilia. I think there are other
    reasons not to contribute to the RCC but this reason in not one of them.

Advertisement