Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Never said you couldn't be those things without believing in God:confused:

Of course you didn't. Thats not the point though..

You really do seem :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Saganist wrote: »
    Of course you didn't. Thats not the point though..

You really do seem :confused::confused:

What was your point? Genuinely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

In all fairness scolding Audrey for contributing to her parish is a big
    double standard. Have you ever bought American goods? You've contributed
    to the American Invasion of the middle east & helped keep the economy going
    while they murdered innocent people. How about their support of Israel's
    policies of forming Bantustan's in Palestine? Ever bought anything
    in Lebanon or good from there? Most likely funded Hezbollah terrorists. You
    may not have meant to do that but in some way or other you have, this logic
    just does not hold up so I don't think it's fair to scold Audrey, she means
    well when she does it & there is no way to actually show funding a
    charity actually goes to covering up paedophilia. I think there are other
    reasons not to contribute to the RCC but this reason in not one of them.

In all fairness they were probably right to scold me. I didn't see it as compliance but clearly if the money goes where they say it does then I guess it is form of supporting the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Shenshen wrote: »
    Out of honest curiosity, where would I find the figures on that?

Already linked to articles and listed Philip Jenkins who has done work in that area.
    robindch wrote: »
    Lots of potential reasons, but I'd say that one of them is because they're denied the opportunity to have legitimate sex, so they go after the illegitimate stuff..

..and yet it has yet to be shown that celibate priests are more likely to abuse than non-celibate clergymen. I would think the position of power to me a much more likely factor. Rather than jump on the first 'reasons' that spring to mind it would be more worthwhile to get to the real reasons behind it, power, authority that went unchallenged, ridiculous respect bordering on sycophantism, and access to children. Same reason why they become swimming coaches, teachers, childcare workers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

for the record lads, priests don't become paedophiles, paedophiles become priests.

there is not too many other professions out there where you get an automatic jump to be a respected and feared individual with lots of access to kids.

unfortunately the church and priesthood's insular attitude and constant burying of evidence and covering up only led to facilitate the crimes of these monsters.

maybe one day if/when the pope sets foot on this land again and apologises to the hundreds of people whose lives the church ruined and accept responsibility for its actions, then maybe the young people of ireland might find a bit of respect for the organisation. i honestly believe the constant stream of abusive priests that we all saw most months on the news as we grew up managed to break our respect for the church, and once we lost that, the belief in the fairy tale quickly followed.

there is no atheist bandwagon i'm afraid, i suppose for the majority of the new breed of atheists in this country, we 'converted' because the evil cruelty that we saw in the institution forced us to look at the whole thing objectively and we drew our own conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

In all fairness they were probably right to scold me. I didn't see it as compliance but clearly if the money goes where they say it does then I guess it is form of supporting the abuse.

Well using this logic I can easily argue that everytime you buy a tv made
    in china or something you're contributing to Chinese communism & are
    thereby implicated in furthering a social order whose history is full of
    mass graves etc... You're giving money to China's economy by doing so!
    Your money isn't keeping paedophiles from reaching prison it's to do
    with societies relation to the RCC, if you want to end paedophilia you
    should focus on getting governments to drop this respect for their
    institution and to force the RCC itself from below to hand over the
    criminals within to the police. If the pope is a criminal then he should be
    brought to justice, that's debatable but the point is it's an institutional
    problem.

If you want to use this logic just remember your committing double
    standards all the time, I just don't buy it at all.

What was your point? Genuinely confused.

That it doesn't take any belief in order to do good work in your community.

I'd advise you save the money you give the RCC and when you have enough give it to a homeless shelter or something worthy of your hard earned money.

The RCC does not deserve anything, not even your respect !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Maybe you could PM the other reasons? I really am curious!
    Take it up in the A+A forum. It's a bit quieter than here :)

Your money isn't keeping paedophiles from reaching prison it's to do
    with societies relation to the RCC, if you want to end paedophilia you
    should focus on getting governments to drop this respect for their
    institution and to force the RCC itself from below to hand over the
    criminals within to the police..

+1. Spot on. The Gardaí should be kicking in doors to take what files they need, not sitting around waiting for them to be handed over by some doddery old fools in the hierarchy. Our government bottled it from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Vourney

From my experience, most Irish people are pretty blase about pedophillia, incest and rape. Someone has told them they're supposed to think it's wrong and their poor weak minds become confused by the duality between their honest feelings and what they're supposed to think, leading to confused internet discussions such as this one. Listen to people talk when they think no one can hear, and watch their actions if you want the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Vourney wrote: »
    From my experience, most Irish people are pretty blase about pedophillia, incest and rape. Someone has told them they're supposed to think it's wrong and their poor weak minds become confused by the duality between their honest feelings and what they're supposed to think, leading to confused internet discussions such as this one. Listen to people talk when they think no one can hear, and watch their actions if you want the truth.

What? That's a truly absurd statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

cool man i'll just take advantage of a little boy and perform sexual acts on him that he won't understand because i own the system and ain't no one gonna tell me how my moral compass should go.

WTF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

This has to be one of the best posts in the whole thread. As an Irishman, I can assure you that I am not blase about paedophilia or rape. I'm open to incest. If your sister's hot, why not?

Where in the hell did this utter garbage come from? Were you trying to make some point, or just troll? My weak mind is struggling to work out what in the hell you're actually trying to say.

This is my experience growing up in an Irish and Irish American family that was riddled with sexual abuse, and repeatedly asking people on both sides of the Atlantic for help. All they ever did was scream bury it bury it bury it, and run away and pretend it never happened, abandon me, and do their best to villify and discredit me, while acting like upstanding ethical citizens. And now suddenly this new enlightened age has dawned and suddenly I'm surrounded by all these wonderful people who really really hate sexual abuse, and have always known how wrong it it, and are just so very much against it. It's very surreal and hypocritical.

It just is hard to believe how genuine this new enlighted attitude is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

From my experience, most Irish people are pretty blase about pedophillia, incest and rape. Someone has told them they're supposed to think it's wrong and their poor weak minds become confused by the duality between their honest feelings and what they're supposed to think, leading to confused internet discussions such as this one.

Do you think this is a product of history or of religion? Are you saying that Irish people have a tendency to commit these crimes, but are held back by religious fog, rather than independent reasoning?

Perhaps you mean that Irish people have cognitive dissonance in this regard?
    Listen to people talk when they think no one can hear, and watch their actions if you want the truth.

Interesting little phrase.

This is my experience growing up in an Irish and Irish American family that was riddled with sexual abuse, and repeatedly asking people on both sides of the Atlantic for help. All they ever did was scream bury it bury it bury it, and run away and pretend it never happened, abandon me, and do their best to villify and discredit me, while acting like upstanding ethical citizens. And now suddenly this new enlightened age has dawned and suddenly I'm surrounded by all these wonderful people who really really hate sexual abuse, and have always known how wrong it it, and are just so very much against it. It's very surreal and hypocritical.

Okay, so now we have context, but the discussion would be in the context of religion. I think a major part of the shift from the Church is exactly sexual abuse, and I believe that is from a genuine disgust on behalf of the people concerned. The Church and the Gardai virtually institutionalised that behaviour in this country, and there was no recourse. Even now the culprits walk free.

I'd say it isn't hypocritical, at least not on the part of my generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Good one Freud :pac:

I don't know where it originated, or why it seems this way. I think the Catholic church disempowers people, and that will affect every aspect of a person including their sexuality. Being disempowered isn't good for a person on many different levels, not just sexually, and eventually leads to some kind of perverse on unhealthy behavior as the person naturally will attempt to get back to a point where they feel more empowered.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you mean that Irish people have cognitive dissonance in this regard?
    QUOTE]

just wanted to clarify I was replying to Caesar Augustus' reply. Yes cognitive dissonance would be one way to put it, what I was trying to say.

just wanted to clarify I was replying to Caesar Augustus' reply. Yes cognitive dissonance would be one way to put it, what I was trying to say.

Ah I get what you're trying to say. There appears to be the dual problem of the lack of self-control unleashed as a population has to start thinking for itself as it emerges from a virtual theocracy where some are too weak-minded to think for themselves and never form a decent set of morals independently formed.

I always find this to be more common among moderate believers, who don't really believe, and yet never thought enough about things to form independent opinion. Give it a few decades, and maybe these kinds of people will have caught up with the rest of us.

Depressing stuff tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

From my experience, most Irish people are pretty blase about pedophillia, incest and rape.
    Not true.
    Someone has told them they're supposed to think it's wrong and their poor weak minds become confused by the duality between their honest feelings and what they're supposed to think,
    That's pretty insulting, and not something I've come across to be honest.
    leading to confused internet discussions such as this one.
    I don't find it confusing.
    This is my experience growing up in an Irish and Irish American family that was riddled with sexual abuse, and repeatedly asking people on both sides of the Atlantic for help. All they ever did was scream bury it bury it bury it, and run away and pretend it never happened, abandon me, and do their best to villify and discredit me, while acting like upstanding ethical citizens.
    So based on your personal experience with a few close minded people you've come to the conclusion that Irish people have "poor weak minds"?
    And now suddenly this new enlightened age has dawned
    New enlightened age? The only people I actually know that have any interest in the church or it's beliefs are my grandmothers, and even at that they're not that into it any more.
    and suddenly I'm surrounded by all these wonderful people who really really hate sexual abuse, and have always known how wrong it it, and are just so very much against it.
    Because the church doesn't have the power it once had, people have no reason to fear or question them. And it's only recently that most of this has come out.

I think the Catholic church disempowers people...

Seems to me that's their job. Keep the people down, and the coffers full at all and any cost. It's control, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think his "case" is quite clear. But I for one don't want to hear it discussed with any greater volume than is the norm.

Welcome to society. People have different views than you do.

There's a reason why Dawkins won't usually entertain debates with theists about creationism and/ or evolution. It's because it lends the creationist a platform and credibility that their case has not earned.

Actually Dawkins has with Christian figures who believe in evolution. Dawkins just won't debate Young Earth Creationists such as Ray Comfort for example.

But, to say the least, I couldn't give a fiddlesticks who Dawkins' debates with or not. He's no authority on discourse.

What a load of rubbish, especially from an American where institutionalised child abuse and cover up has emerged far from the Catholic Church. Turns out plenty of yanks were adept at turning a blind eye and using poor weak minds too.

prinz wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, especially from an American where institutionalised child abuse and cover up has emerged far from the Catholic Church. Turns out plenty of yanks were adept at turning a blind eye and using poor weak minds too.

Just because they do it too doesn't mean the guy isn't making a fair point.

Just because they do it too doesn't mean the guy isn't making a fair point.

Er, yes it does. He is saying the Irish are uniquely blasé about turning a blind eye to child abuse amongst others. That's a nonsense point. There is nothing remotely unique to the abuse and cover up in Ireland. Apart from that (s)he mentions the 'duality of being told something is wrong and wanting to do it.... most Irish people secretly want to engage in paedophilia and incest? News to me. Nothing remotely peculiar to the Irish whatsoever in what was posted, most of which was gibberish.

So what's the fair point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Do you ever get the impression that most people are petty, easily duped clowns?
    Thankfully most people aren't irrational nut-jobs who get freaked out about Ireland not being the way it was pre 1990s and thus their comfort zone being gone, and who fool themselves into thinking that people here only changed because they were duped into it and are trying to be "trendy" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Jakkass wrote: »
    Welcome to society. People have different views than you do.

Gee thanks Jakkass. Does that come with an optional pat on the head? My point, as you well know, was that giving airtime to stone age thinking lends it a credibility that it doesn't deserve.
    Actually Dawkins has with Christian figures who believe in evolution. Dawkins just won't debate Young Earth Creationists such as Ray Comfort for example.

But, to say the least, I couldn't give a fiddlesticks who Dawkins' debates with or not. He's no authority on discourse

See my comment above. Obviously I mentioned Dawkins' name as an example of someone who draws a distinction between debates worth having and those that have no upside for him.

BTW, nice non sequitur on the "He's no authority on discourse" emote.

Advertisement