Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yep, and that's why we have things like MRSA.

Well if the OP gets that, he can feel free to disprove evolution by not taking the latest antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yore Ma

No your oul one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If religion was a private matter, what is the point of the vatican?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh those scientologists, thats crazy sh1t altogether, interplanetary warlord and aliens in our body? nonsense! but a zombie jew and a virgin birth? sure thats fact.

The point here is that thiests are just as obnoxious about their beliefs being superior to others as well, go down to the local church and try spread the tenets of Mormonism, watch the locals guffaw in your face as you try to convince them god actually had sex with Mary and lives on another planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That's where they store the money and the pedos.

• Advertisement

That would be an ecuminical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Ya i had to search the page first just to be sure :pac:

I dont believe in any god myself but im afraid im not 100% sold on evolution either.

I dont think were smart enough at the very moment to think we have it down 100%. Same as the big bang..not sold on that either!

The difference with The Big Bang and Evolution is that we actually know a lot more about and have much more solid evidence for the latter, although there IS a lot of evidence for the former, a major problem is there is a lot that we simple don't know about the Big Bang. many many questions that are still to be answered (which i like).

I've a great book on the subject of the Big Bang that i really should've given you before i jumped ship! I had all intentions of bringing it with me and re-reading it, but i flipping forgot it!

If you can grab is, it's "Big Bang" by Simon Singh, a cracking read!

(by the way, Evolution is completely 100%, no doubt about it)

Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

I have done research. I can not find evidence that evolution can DEFINATELY be the case. I mean 100%. No disputes. Thats the point im trying to make. I (personally) can not believe something that is not proven true. This is why i have asked for a link. As i would love to find out. Im sure evolution is probably true. Just cant say for definate.

The reason for this is that all the way through history people have been led to believe something is true, ie, the Earth is flat. Then it is disproven.

And here by the way.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/3278/Heliocentric-Theory.html

EDIT: And by all means prove me wrong. Here to learn not argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The Nobel people have been onto us about sorting out the Middle East if this thread works out!

They don't need us, for 'tiis written...

/goes to consult ancient text to confirm current prejudice

• Advertisement

Ya i had to search the page first just to be sure :pac:

I dont believe in any god myself but im afraid im not 100% sold on evolution either.

I dont think were smart enough at the very moment to think we have it down 100%.
    Same as the big bang..not sold on that either!

Of course not, but thats why science is constantly disproving past theories and creating new ones, yet the idea that a space wizard conjured up the entire universe, picked on little rock in an infinite space to put people on, left no proof of his existence then sat back and chuckled as the most horrific things imaginable were done in "his name" over centuries is one thats still held true by millions of people around the world.

Chorizo wrote: »
    The reason for this is that all the way through history people have been led to believe something is true, ie, the Earth is flat. Then it is disproven.

I love when people use this old Chestnut. "sure didn't they used to believe The Earth was flat?"

Seriously dude..........

dvpower wrote: »
    Nothing in science is irrefutable. Its just ranges of likelihood.
    Gravity is very likely, but I guess there is an outside chance that our understaning of gravity is way wide of the mark. Same with evolution.
    There is a common misunderstanding about what 'theory' means. Some people think that any theory is as likely to be true as it is to be false, but that's obviously not the case.

Is that true. Isnt it truer to suggest that our knowledge or understanding of certain subjects could be improved rather than stating nothing is irrefutable.

Its more likely that a new piece of evidence or technology will cast something in a different light rather than making it irrefutable or redundant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some one seriously needs to take over from Dawkins. He is doing the Atheist following no favours with his personality alone..
    But what would those who bitch and moan about atheism do without Dawkins to wheel out every single time?
    All one has to do is look through threads here to see the dismissive attitude towards particularly Christianity but other religions too. It is as if these people are more enlightened than those who believe in God(s), when ther're nothing more than smug self righteous gits. Beliefs, in God, Gods or none at all, are a private thing and peoples beliefs should be respected even if different to your own.
    But if you don't believe in god, then you're bound to dismiss it - and to consider yourself more realistic and less deluded than those who fervently believe in god. It might be hard not to take offence at that, but it's ultimately just a difference in opinion, which people are entitled to have.
    PAULWATSON wrote: »
    You got it. The people in this bandwagon are the same people who jump on the bandwagon in any age.
    Aren't you going to argue back with the people who have addressed your... points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

krudler wrote: »
    Also athiests for the most part dont go around trying to deconvert people, more engage in debate and hopefully rational arguments and let people decide for themselves ..

They do in their arse :p

They talk down to people at any given chance, usually in the most condescending of manners.

I have seen them compare people that believe human beings have souls, to those that have mental illnesses.

You can't get much more condescending than that.

I have done research. I can not find evidence that evolution can DEFINATELY be the case. I mean 100%. No disputes. Thats the point im trying to make. I (personally) can not believe something that is not proven true. This is why i have asked for a link. As i would love to find out. Im sure evolution is probably true. Just cant say for definate.

And here by the way.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/3278/Heliocentric-Theory.html

EDIT: And by all means prove me wrong. Here to learn not argue.

You've done research in 10 minutes?

By the by, no educated person believed the earth was flat, and certainly no reputable scientist. That's a myth.

Of course not, but thats why science is constantly disproving past theories and creating new ones

People like you just want us to raise our taxes and force us to become homosexuals.

That's what th' Reverend told me.

As stolen from the great cartoonist Tom Tomorrow.

I love when people use this old Chestnut. "sure didn't they used to believe The Earth was flat?"

Seriously dude..........

some people believed or presumed that the earth was flat because they had neither the understanding nor the technology to know any better.

As we develop our view of the world develops too as we become more knowledgable and enlightened.

Of course not, but thats why science is constantly disproving past theories and creating new ones, yet the idea that a space wizard conjured up the entire universe, picked on little rock in an infinite space to put people on, left no proof of his existence then sat back and chuckled as the most horrific things imaginable were done in "his name" over centuries is one thats still held true by millions of people around the world.

Science asks questions and goes and finds answers, it really is a beautiful thing!

But Creationists don't get it! They're so used to having an answer for everything, that if you as a non-Creationist don't have an answer to everything, you are wrong.

"So i see all your evidence here. Very good, very hard to argue against. But erm..... i see here, what's this. A gap of some sort?

-Oh yes, well we're currently working on that, we don't have the absolute answer yet, but it's close.

AH HA!!!!!!! GOD DID IT BABY!!! SCREW YOU DARWIN! WWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

Or something like that!

OutlawPete wrote: »

They talk down to people at any given chance, usually in the most condescending of manners. I have seen them compare people that believe human beings have souls to those that have mental illnesses.

Easy, Pete - we're not all like that.

/gulp

Are we?

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    People believed that the earth was flat because they had neither the understanding nor the technology to know any better.

As we develop our view of the world develops too as we become more knowledgable and enlightened.
    You don't need technology to understand that the earth is round, the greeks discovered that fact a couple of thousand years ago.

They talk down to people at any given chance, usually in the most condescending of manners. I have seen them compare people that believe human beings have souls to those that have mental illnesses.

Well who cares? If they seem condescending, does that make them any less right? No Sir!

Many creationists are condescending too. It's not an exclusively Ahtiest trait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Stopped reading after "don't believe in evolution".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

I have done research. I can not find evidence that evolution can DEFINATELY be the case. I mean 100%. No disputes. Thats the point im trying to make. I (personally) can not believe something that is not proven true.
    <snip>
    The reason for this is that all the way through history people have been led to believe something is true, ie, the Earth is flat. Then it is disproven

You're not comparing like-for-like, here. The flat earth theory was complete ****e, as looking at the horizon will tell you. Thing is though, the theory was displaced over time as we garnered more knowledge.

There's a gradation here, though. Like gravity, we have observed natural selection and so can argue with utter certainty that it exists. We had never observed a flat earth. It's not an opinion. We may discuss still exactly how and why it works, again like gravity, but this is normal as we fill in gaps in understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

(by the way, Evolution is completely 100%, no doubt about it)

Ive listened to Dawkins on the subject, I havent looked into it in dept though so I will when i get the chance. Wanted to read the origin of species but heard it was a tough read!

tell me about it! my faourite is:

Do ya believe in god and spirits?

Yes!

Do ya believe in aliens?

HAHA no of course not they are on the movies!!!

grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Well who cares?

I do and the OP does, otherwise he wouldn't have started this thread.
    If they seem condescending, does that make them any less right?

Did someone say that them being condescending, made them wrong?

Ive listened to Dawkins on the subject, I havent looked into it in dept though so I will when i get the chance. Wanted to read the origin of species but heard it was a tough read!

I'd start with ''The Greatest Show On Earth''. :)

I do and the OP does, otherwise he wouldn't have started this thread.

Well, why isn't the threas "some people can be condescending"? Because, again, it's not an exclusively Athiest trait as you seem to be claiming.
    Did someone say that them being condescending, may them wrong?

Well i asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I'd start with ''The Greatest Show On Earth''. :)

Ill be in trouble with the missus if she sees me readin that! :D

Bloody bible bahsers!

• Advertisement

Ill be in trouble with the missus if she sees me readin that! :D

Bloody bible bahsers!
    Alternatively, you can watch ''Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life''. Tis very good!!

Advertisement