Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Anything more to add? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Chorizo wrote: »
    What i dont understand is how people can believe in something that has not been proven. Evolution is a theory. It has not been proven. Dont get me wrong. It makes sense and probably is the case. But i can not, 100%, say that i believe in it.

As for athiests and all religions. They can do as they please.

Where's that facepalm picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

orourkeda wrote: »
    But surely the point is that if Evolution is fact and has been proven to be irrefutable, then there can be no argument against it irrespective of religious beliefs.

You'd think so wouldn't you? Yet, some peole are truely ridiculously ignorant and they argue anyway!
    Anything more to add? :rolleyes:

That says it all really :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

You are wrong.

it has been proven.

The Heliocentric Theory is also a "theory" if you wanna play that game. Are you trying to tell me it's ok to believe that we don't orbit The Sun just because it is a "Theory"?

Can you give me a link to concrete proof that evolution has 100% been proven. And the Heliocentric Theory also says that the sun is the centre of our universe. I dont believe that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

krudler wrote: »
    This should sum up religion in a nutshell, if we had more people like this man the world would be better off, dismisser of bullsh1t extraodinaire, George Carlin:

(NSFW, sweary bits)

George Carlin offers his "opinion"

Can you tell me why you would post an excerpt from a stand up routine as a back up to your argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Well it appears to me that atheism is the new religion.

You got it. The people in this bandwagon are the same people who jump on the bandwagon in any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Beliefs, in God, Gods or none at all, are a private thing and peoples beliefs should be respected even if different to your own.

If only that were true; if it were, athesits would be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

From the very little I know, it is quite difficult to ignore. Again I cant claim to have any great knowledge on the subject.

I guess its more accurate to say that people have a flawed understanding of it. This leads to the likes of the 'hurricane in a scrapyard' arguement and the 'why are there still diseases' arguement above.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Ya'll be postin in a troll thread.

You'd think so wouldn't you? Yet, some peole are truely ridiculously ignorant and they argue anyway!

Has it been 100% proven and by whom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

What i dont understand is how people can believe in something that has not been proven. Evolution is a theory. It has not been proven. Dont get me wrong. It makes sense and probably is the case. But i can not, 100%, say that i believe in it.

It's long been proved empirically as has almost every other theory we use to live our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Read this and come back to me with where it mentions believing in evolution...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Can you give me a link to concrete proof that evolution has 100% been proven.

No, what you should do it research it there my friend. Read books, read papers on the subject, ask questions. It's all out there if you're willing to look for it!
    And the Heliocentric Theory also says that the sun is the centre of our universe. I dont believe that

No it doesn't, it says The Sun is the centre of our Solar System... which it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

George Carlin offers his "opinion"

Can you tell me why you would post an excerpt from a stand up routine as a back up to your argument

What argument? its funny and makes a good point, is religion not a business?

dvpower wrote: »
    I guess its more accurate to say that people have a flawed understanding of it. This leads to the likes of the 'hurricane in a scrapyard' arguement and the 'why are there still diseases' arguement above.

Surely diseases evolve too. Bacteria and viruses and the like are evolving life forms too presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Deep, deep thinker! I'd have thought that your millions and millions of years of evolution would have sorted everything out, no need for any medicine.

unfortunately years of religious oppression have served to stem the tide of science and medicine from moving as quickly as it should have.

It's been proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Evolution is as much of a fact as the Earth revolving around the Sun.

Yore Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

(paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Are you a smug little athiest?

If you've nobody in your life to give you attention, don't expect me to.

Surely diseases evolve too. Bacteria and viruses and the like are evolving life forms too presumably.
    Yep, and that's why we have things like MRSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Of course, thats why immunisation methods needs to be updated, why do you think theres a different strain of flu every few years.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Read this and come back to me with where it mentions believing in evolution...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

True, but it's pretty well known that MOST of those who don't believe in God are free thinkers who believe in proof, and therefore religion.

By the way Stu, i didn't read the Wiki page so i'm just taking your word for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I laugh in the face of gravity, I'm typing this on my ceiling.

Oh oooh what a feeling!

But surely the point is that if Evolution is fact and has been proven to be irrefutable, then there can be no argument against it irrespective of religious beliefs.
    Nothing in science is irrefutable. Its just ranges of likelihood.
    Gravity is very likely, but I guess there is an outside chance that our understaning of gravity is way wide of the mark. Same with evolution.
    There is a common misunderstanding about what 'theory' means. Some people think that any theory is as likely to be true as it is to be false, but that's obviously not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Hi guys, I'm a bit late to this thread - could someone sum up for me whether we've established that God exists or not?

I'm too lazy to decide for myself.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

What argument? its funny and makes a good point, is religion not a business?

aren't scientoligists gas, believing in that galactic lord xeemu and thetans and everything, its really just a money making scheme.

anyways, i'm off to pray to zombie jesus who exists as one entity with his father and a ghost, for some reason, and give loads of dosh to people who say they speak for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

"ignorant theists" and comments like it do nothing for your argument.

I'm not suggesting that your argument is incorrect (or correct for that matter) but resorting to what is little more than a cheap shot is not in anyones best interest

There are knowledgeable theists out there and there are also ignorant ones. It's the ignorant ones that don't believe in evolution. Catholics and anglicans accept it for example whereas some of the presbyterian spinoffs believe that the earth is about 6000 years old. They are ignorant.

Yes they do. That's why we need a different vaccine for the flu every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

True, but it's pretty well known that MOST of those who don't believe in God are free thinkers who believe in proof, and therefore religion.

By the way Stu, i didn't read the Wiki page so i'm just taking your word for it :pac:

Ya i had to search the page first just to be sure :pac:

I dont believe in any god myself but im afraid im not 100% sold on evolution either.

I dont think were smart enough at the very moment to think we have it down 100%. Same as the big bang..not sold on that either!

• Advertisement

Hi guys, I'm a bit late to this thread - could someone sum up for me whether we've established that God exists or not?

I'm too lazy to decide for myself.

Thanks in advance.

The Nobel people have been onto us about sorting out the Middle East if this thread works out!

Advertisement