Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

orourkeda wrote: »
    Of whom? Me or people who believe in God.
    My comment was in relation theists involved in the ''ongoing debate'' on evolution. Of course I'm sure there are atheists out there who agree with theists on that particular matter too, in which case ''ignorant atheists'' would be perfectly apt too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".
    No. It seems everyone is not. And when people say "You're only saying you're an atheist to be trendy" to actual adults (as opposed to 13-year-olds when there might be some merit in the accusation) I'm actually quite mortified for them.

I'm an atheist - I am one of my own accord, because I have a mind of my own and because I find the idea of god implausible. I don't force this view on people, I don't criticise those who have faith once they don't force it on people. I rarely talk about my atheism unless it's of relevance - because I'm a grown-up. I find it seems to be far more the "trendy" (for want of a better word) thing for people to whinge about how smug atheists are, based on Richard Dawkins and precious little else (yeah, he's a prick - and would be without being an atheist though).
    I also find sometimes that it's not perceived smugness which seems to get people's goat, but the atheism itself, despite the posturing as such bastions of tolerance re others' belief systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Deep, deep thinker! I'd have thought that your millions and millions of years of evolution would have sorted everything out, no need for any medicine.

So if god created us why make us imperfect, frail, subject to disease (which by your logic he also created)? such shoddy work doesnt belong on the cv of a supposedly omnipotent deity.

This quote sums up god perfectly:
    The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'm afraid there is.

There are better movies out there than Talladega nights.

Your right!

Anchorman is much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

goose2005 wrote: »
    Most churches accept evolution, and all accept the scientific method. From what you say about evolution, you see to know almost nothing about it.

As for atheism, the main reason people have to go on about it is because religious power has a very great influence in society - from church-controlled schools and hospitals, to anti-blasphemy laws, religiously-motivated terrorism, to the cosy indemnity agreement the RCC got (10% of the abuse compensation paid by them, 90% by the state - agreed by the Catholic (and alleged Opus Dei member) Michael Woods).

As for mocking religious people, it's difficult not to. When you don't believe in God, it does seem incredibly foolish to pray to them, or to obey their priests.
    That is the crux of it really. Too many evolutionists scream about it for the sake of it when really, not many people (religious or atheist) are listening really. I say that because for me, i think in general, most people accept evolution. It makes sense.

Although i do worry sometimes when people put it across as in fact like the existence of my desk infront of me. I think its a bit more complicated than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

goose2005 wrote: »
    Most churches accept evolution, and all accept the scientific method. From what you say about evolution, you see to know almost nothing about it.

As for atheism, the main reason people have to go on about it is because religious power has a very great influence in society - from church-controlled schools and hospitals, to anti-blasphemy laws, religiously-motivated terrorism, to the cosy indemnity agreement the RCC got (10% of the abuse compensation paid by them, 90% by the state - agreed by the Catholic (and alleged Opus Dei member) Michael Woods).

As for mocking religious people, it's difficult not to. When you don't believe in God, it does seem incredibly foolish to pray to them, or to obey their priests.

I don't belief that any religion should necessarily try to influence society, it has and still does. Hwever, the converse argument is equally true. Freedom of religious expression should not be bellitled once it is practiced within the law and doesnt directly influence anothers life or wellbeing in any way.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That is the crux of it really. Too many evolutionists scream about it for the sake of it when really, not many people (religious or atheist) are listening really. I say that because for me, i think in general, most people accept evolution. It makes sense.

Although i do worry sometimes when people put it across as in fact like the existence of my desk infront of me. I think its a bit more complicated than that.

Well, i used to be a Monkey and your desk used to be a tree!

Pretty good comparison IMO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MrStuffins wrote: »

Hey, I knew that tree!! It used to be a cousin of mine! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I believe in ignorance and trolls.

Roll on Idiocracy.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.

Its just about as obnoxious as the theist who assumes that someone who doesnt believe in what they believe has a smug attitude that they're superior to them, which isnt the case at all. I dont like the label "athiest" myself, it implies too much of a knowing theres no god/gods, I dont believe there is, but I'm open to be proved wrong, when I die and should I get to the pearly gates and be proven wrong, I'll eat my hat (since I'll have no use for it in hell) but until then, religion is something that should be questioned and debated.

Also athiests for the most part dont go around trying to deconvert people, more engage in debate and hopefully rational arguments and let people decide for themselves,poke fun of and ridicule religion sure, its ripe for it tbh are there asshole athiests? of course, but answer me this, how many athiests have ever called to your door asking if you've heard the good word of....nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

What i dont understand is how people can believe in something that has not been proven. Evolution is a theory. It has not been proven. Dont get me wrong. It makes sense and probably is the case. But i can not, 100%, say that i believe in it.

As for athiests and all religions. They can do as they please.

Its made from steel..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Deep, deep thinker! I'd have thought that your millions and millions of years of evolution would have sorted everything out, no need for any medicine.

I honestly think if you just learned a bit about it, you'd accept it.

Chorizo wrote: »
    What i dont understand is how people can believe in something that has not been proven. Evolution is a theory. It has not been proven. Dont get me wrong. It makes sense and probably is the case. But i can not, 100%, say that i believe in it.

You are wrong.

it has been proven.

The Heliocentric Theory is also a "theory" if you wanna play that game. Are you trying to tell me it's ok to believe that we don't orbit The Sun just because it is a "Theory"?

Dudess wrote: »
    No. It seems everyone is not. And when people say "You're only saying you're an atheist to be trendy" to actual adults (as opposed to 13-year-olds when there might be some merit in the accusation) I'm actually quite mortified for them.

I'm an atheist - I am one of my own accord, because I have a mind of my own and because I find the idea of god implausible. I don't force this view on people, I don't criticise those who have faith once they don't force it on people. I rarely talk about my atheism unless it's of relevance - because I'm a grown-up. I find it seems to be far more the "trendy" (for want of a better word) thing for people to whinge about how smug atheists are, based on Richard Dawkins and precious little else (yeah, he's a prick - and would be without being an atheist though).
    I also find sometimes that it's not perceived smugness which seems to get people's goat, but the atheism itself, despite the posturing as such bastions of tolerance re others' belief systems.

Personally, I think the smugness does nothing for Richard Dawkins and his argument sometimes. People do not necessarily have a problem with anyone articulating their atheism. Sometimes (fatuously I know) people are just as influenced by how an argument is constructed and delivered as they are by its content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Those damn bacteria and viruses keep evolving.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its made from steel..

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

Perhaps this is because we're the first generation that are actually allowed to have some private thought and choice in selecting a belief system?

I think it's great that people are starting to think for themselves.

Some one seriously needs to take over from Dawkins. He is doing the Atheist following no favours with his personality alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm off out.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    No. Most people who believe in God accept evolution.
    The people who don't accept it by and large are ignorant of it.

From the very little I know, it is quite difficult to ignore. Again I cant claim to have any great knowledge on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well it appears to me that atheism is the new religion.

All one has to do is look through threads here to see the dismissive attitude towards particularly Christianity but other religions too. It is as if these people are more enlightened than those who believe in God(s), when ther're nothing more than smug self righteous gits. Beliefs, in God, Gods or none at all, are a private thing and peoples beliefs should be respected even if different to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Chorizo wrote: »

Science doesn't prove anything. It falsifies theories and replaces them with better theories.

Evolution is a theory that has not been falsified. Our understanding of gravity is also based on a theory that has not been falsified. Gravity has not been proven, but I'd say you have no problem with 'believing' it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

You are wrong.

it has been proven.

The Heliocentric Theory is also a "theory" if you wanna play that game. Are you trying to tell me it's ok to believe that we don't orbit The Sun just because it is a "Theory"?

True that. 'Theory' has a different meaning in a scientific context. Rookie mistake, 10 points from Gryffindor

This should sum up religion in a nutshell, if we had more people like this man the world would be better off, dismisser of bullsh1t extraodinaire, George Carlin:

(NSFW, sweary bits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

My hero, Michael Scofield, once went to church and an old man with a cat gave him money to prove he could break out of prison. I like to think that God helped Michael break out of prison and if I ever have to break out of prison (someday, God willing) - I'll think of Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

krudler wrote: »
    This should sum up religion in a nutshell, if we had more people like this man the world would be better off, dismisser of bullsh1t extraodinaire, George Carlin:

(NSFW, sweary bits)

In my personal Opinion, George Carlin is not Michael Scofield so I don't really like him. In fact, I'm not even sure George Carlin has ever broken out of prison.

Well it appears to me that atheism is the new religion.

:rolleyes:

Well at least you admit that.

And surely if you discovered that Evolution was fact, you would not just refute it just because it might clash with your religious views, am i correct?

But surely the point is that if Evolution is fact and has been proven to be irrefutable, then there can be no argument against it irrespective of religious beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

I hear Catholicism was all the rage a few years ago. Trends change and now Atheism is more trendy than theism.

You gotta move with the times :cool:

Advertisement