Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Easy sub 60 for your swim, how close to 55 depends on the conditions. Abhainn, then JackyBack, *edit* JB first, then Abhainn, catch you on the bike if they're going sub 10, otherwise its in the lap of the gods on the run (no contest here!). I reckon you'll run a lot quicker than you expect.

But sure what the hell do I know about it, you asked for predictions:D Go out there (all three of you) and give it what you got on the day, and enjoy the challenge. Best of luck!

I think you got this one wrong, MCOS will lead out of the water and off the bike but will be chased down by Joe before halfway. As for me i will be doing my best to chase him down on the run to narrow the swim/bike gap he has on me:).

A little race within a race is always fun although i will be sticking firmly to my race plan either way. I will however try give both guys a run for the money in the pub afterwards although i heard that Abhainn fella likes his beer:)

I think for MCOS its all about managing and pacing the run sensibly, he is a big unit (being polite here Mike:)) so needs to ensure the heat and cramps do not become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yes probably have 8-10kg on you and Joe! The heat will certainly be my usual running enemy. Easy 40 min jog tonight in the dark cold rain. Body felt stiff and heavy to start but better once the blood began to flow. HR high again for the effort. Couldn't imagine doing another 4 laps either! Browsed a few Barcelona reports around the web to get in the zone. A swim and a short brick tomorrow before an early night. Red eye Thursday morning. Sorta looking forward to it!! Bring on the pain...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Mike. Enjoy it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck to ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck Mike. Enjoy it.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

From reading the log you would swear you have nothing done this year - yet you have a nice lead in the SBR challenge so you must have been doing some work this year.

Hopefully you will enjoy it, certainly you are not under the time pressures you were under last year in Roth so you might well surprise yourself.

The very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck Mike. Im thinking you'll do better than you're expecting. I hope you dont suffer from the cramping issue anyway and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mike all the best lad. You'll be hitting the run long before me. Leave some fluids for me

The very best of luck Mike, i will see you on Friday morning. Could not be racing with two better boyos.

If we are near each other at the finish line i hope you have practiced your sprinting:)

Please do not touch my bike when you come out of the water....race no JB 901 and MCOS 902, what are the chances of that!!:)

• Advertisement

Please do not touch my bike when you come out of the water....race no JB 901 and MCOS 902, what are the chances of that!!:)

He'd only be risking hurting his back reaching down to it if he was to touch it!

No Way !!! :D:D:D As if you didn't have enough incentive!

Short swim session this evening in the carnival that is the evening Arena. Groups of freshers hanging about checking out anything that moves...

1500m including 3*400 progressive work with 20 secs rest
    200 warm up splashing anyone using toys in a packed lane :rolleyes:
    400 as 100 at 1:36 pace 300 easy
    400 as 200 at 1:33 pace 200 easy
    400 as 300 at 1:29 pace 100 easy

100 very easy cool down

I felt ropy to start but overtaking people in the lane actually helped to find my stroke. I was determined not to increase the stroke rate to pass, just get more out of each stroke. It gave me a stride to push the last 300 hard. I even felt the semblance of form I had a couple of months ago. I initially planned a short bike too as the roadie has a flat and I've already packed the foot pump. It was getting late though and I have to be up at 2am. Also why would I sit on a sweaty gym bike in a gym packed with hormones when I can cycle in the sun in Spain tomorrow :D Looking forward to hooking up with the 2 muppets and planning post race hydration :)

Over and Out for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oh no, you're over and out before I got the chance to wish you good luck. Will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing all about your great experience over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Enjoy the PARTY !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Enjoy Mike! As CW says you actually have a lot of milage, on top of last years milage so you have it in the legs and arms. Steady on the bike and run, be patient and confident in your plan and an IM could be yours!

I hope ye are planning on a few cool ones after and don't have to shoot straight home :)

Short brick with the old fella and the teenage hobbit. 24km bike on the course. Very blustery and very exposed too. Rolling and undulating surface. Should be a straight honest route. 4.8km run off it too. The la ds were full of beans. Chatting pace for Abhainn but JB was running angry! Was it my snot rockets on the bike or is he that annoyed about the seafood ban... Sat by the pool nattering like 3 ould ones, as opposed to just 1 ould one, an angry teenage hobbit and fatboy! The beers promises to be fun. Met just about every boardsie at the expo. No one can conjure as much craic out of a 5 min chat like the Irish! Its raining here. Storm expected tomorrow. Happy days, although the significant other halves are not too impressed. Heading down for a dip with the lads soon. The water looks em, fun would be the right word :-)

Oh dear! Out for a swim with the angry teenage hobbit and obi one. 1.5km and boy was it rough. First 750 into the wind and 5ft swells took 14mins! WTF !?! Shoulders were hanging of me too. Not good. Safe to say the angry teenager now has a fuse so short that I fear for the lives of any creature smaller than hobbits here in Calella. Obi one embraced the session "aussie surf ironman " style and ditched the goggles to stare down the fish. I managed to pick up one of his shiny little victims who had washed ashore aftetward. They sure do breed them hard in Wicklow! We may cook him with the now livid teenage hobbits pasta tomorrow! Anyway I suggested swimming back to regain some faith that it was not going to be a 3.8km uphill swim. Sure enough the return 750 was under 11 mins but considering 2k of the swim will be the other way. I will be chuffed with anything under 65. If the conditions are anything like this they should seriously consider reversing the swim direction so we are "only" swimming 1.5km uphill. The hobbit was in such a rage afterwards that he sprinted down the beach and launched himself at a wave body slam style, twice, and gave himself a headache. He now has so much aggression to channel into this race that he is in danger of winning the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

The angry hobbit imagery has me laughing out loud, especially his headache inducing body slams. Check the conditions in the morning, at a guess it'll be calmer.
    The conditions sound class, but then again, Im not swimming there Sunday.

When MCOS was getting changed to get into the water i swore Caz started laughing at him going "jesus Mike look at the shape of your muffin compared to those two fine athletes", Michelle also commented "he is not really doing this race is he":)**

I only body slammed one wave out of my running starts, must not do that on the day ouch. Poor obi ones eyes looked like he was drinking tequila from them:), hardy boyo. I was afraid i would be swept away down to Africa with the waves.

**May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You boys are having way too much fun. ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck Shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Not bad for a guy who has done "no training":)

Great result and a seriously impressive swim...maybe you postpone the full time switch to "messing" for a few seasons more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Well done Mike. Great result off of limited focus and rounds off a powerful season. Enjoy the next phase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

congrats Mike ....great result

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Brilliant stuff. Congrats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Well done Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congrats Mike,

Well done Muffin Man, never before have i seen someone race in a moob tube:) enjoy the holidays with Caz.

Well done MCOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Yeah well done MCOS, thats a much better time than you were letting on for. Killer swim!:eek:

Advertisement