Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Same midweek brick as last week 59km TT/ 10km steady run

Last week
    59km in 1:41:45 avg 34.7kmh HR 149/ 10km at 4:36 pace HR 146
    This week
    59km in 1:36:18 avg 36.8kmh HR 153/ 10km at 4:38 pace HR 144

The key difference besides the bike numbers is that I got through the session with no knee pain, happy days. If I can do likewise for the last long bike at the weekend I'll be pleased. As a result I could give the bike some welly. I pushed 5*6 minutes hard into the headwind to keep the effort honest. I felt great again with the wind behind me and the position change felt sound. My best time for this route from last year was 1:39 so it was a healthy training PB :)

I took a zipvit banana gel at the hour mark. I think I prefer these over the powerbar gels for the bike. 200Kcals per gel and not as sweet. It was fine for the bike but I suffered a bit on the run. Started running out of energy fast at 5km and nearly fell in the door. I know its because I just didn't eat enough during the day. I doubt I'll get another one of these post workbikes done as the evening closed in very quickly indeed. It felt distinctly cooler too. Good session overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

good to see you back on the bandwagon, you'll do great in Barca

Short Swim
    1,500m as 500 very easy and 10*50 breast 50 fly off 2 minutes. This I found very hard. I started hitting 58-59 for the breast stroke 50s but was down to 67 by the last couple and had to push hard on the fly 50. Breathing very heavy after this short set

Run with Threshold bits
    16.7km in 70 minutes including 3*3km with 3 minutes easy recovery jog
    Reps in as
    11:25 avg pace 3:48 HR 165
    11:13 avg pace 3:45 HR 167
    11:02 avg pace 3:40 HR 172

I warmed up for 12 minutes then belted into the work. It was windy and drizzling. I did them in an Industrial Estate on a 1.5km flat loop so half of it was headwind and half of it felt like I had a sail. The effort started to bite 2km into the second rep but I felt strong. The last rep was probably too quick but I poured myself into it, max HR 178. It was a good session considering the lack of consistency and certainly blew some cobwebs out. 3km reps are long but I was pretty pleased with the output. Last bit of spice before the dance done.

I've missed all the swim sessions this week which is pants. Main focus over the next 3 days is to get a long swim, bike and run done. Then its taper time (taper from what :rolleyes:)!

Last Long Bike
    I hooked up with Mr Duracell for this as a dull dawn broke. He was happy to go with my suggestion of a straight out and back with 2.5 hours at IM pace. Aroute I figured would best prepare me for Calella. The intention was to keep the first hour easy but once en route to Kerry via Adare, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale he let me know that we were at 250w and that was basically IM pace. I had no idea, I just felt good. We then took it in turns for 20 mins segments leading each other while the other hung just outside the draft zone.

With an hour down the rain started as a light drizzle. By the time we hit the first of 3 climbs it was a heavy drizzle and blowing into our faces. When I was following Mr Duracell the effort was very steady. My heart rate was remaining steady at 138-142. It was less controlled when I lead. This is the effect of a power meter. It really regulates the effort and I have benefitted indirectly from biking with a strong biker who likes to keep sessions under control.

As we entered Kerry we just had 20 minutes to the turnaround. This was mostly spend on a long sly climb with heavy rain in our faces. I lead at this stage and could barely see the road in front of me. I didn't realise we were climbing initially and thought I had hit a wall! My heart rate climbed here until we turned at the top. The next 10 minutes explained it. I was rocketing back and spinning out of gears with the tailwind and long gradual descent. I loved this. We held the IM effort for 3.5 hours total then sat up for the last hour home as the sun came out and dried everything up.

Overall 4:33 on the saddle 154.6km at 34kmh, HR 142, circa 900m ascent.

It was a good spin for several reasons.
    Solid IM work
    No knee pain :)
    Practiced race nutrition and timing

Unfortunately I had no time to run off the bike. Caz had to be somewhere. I felt fine except for a very stiff neck. Not fine enough to contemplate a marathon but at least the last bike finished on a high :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man great session , good for confidence. And no knee pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good stuff Mike. Sounds like a cracking spin. Great that the knee is sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice long bike at the weekend, time to put the feet up and stay healthy for the big day out.

Last long run: Supposed to do it Sunday. Didn't get done. Supposed to do it today. Didn't get done. Last chance saloon: Before work in the morning...

The Marathon is going to hurt

Swimming: 7 of last 10 planned sessions missed. Taper all but the need to find a feel for the water. 5-6 swims needed before the dance. A 3.8TT this week will speak volumes. Last year I had a dozen of them in the bag.... Best being a high 63

The Bike: Yes JB could be right that 5:30 is sandbagging. Truth be told I probably have another 20 mins there, but at what overall cost...

Weight: 5kg over target... not bothered. By the time it takes its toll on the run in 28 degree afternoon sun, ill be in survival mode anyway!

So a little more cramming for that D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

With the swimming you put down throughout the autumn and winter and early spring (and the OW sessions you were doing a while back) I'm predicting good things for your swim. Whether Id do a 3.8k TT just now ... probably not .. but at a guess I'd say a p.b or close to one. The 1st 1k might be a little bit off, but after that you'll be cruising.

I wonder if theres some appropriate equation to determine in minutes time to be gained from a) this being your second race and b) having minimal pressure on yourself to do something other than get around and enjoy it.

Best of luck champ. Not sure where you originally seeded yourself for Calella but hopefully you're in the early waves.

Last Long Run
    No snooze button. It was last window for it so got straight up and out. It felt rather winter like. Wet and cold. My knuckles were stiff after a few minutes and my hamstrings and calves followed. 2 hours at about IM pace put down but in contrast to Abhainn and JB's last long dainty skips, this felt quite laboured. I struggled to get the heart rate up actually, perhaps just cold (I was in running shorts and tee). Still, its done now and in the bank for whatever its worth.

Hit the pool this afternoon with shotgunjunior. We played ball and if I lost, 100m hard, if he lost 10m + tumble turn. 4 100s for me in 1:22, 1:20, 1:18, 1:18. 10 tumble turns for him. His lack of fear is something else. Its still fresh in my mind when he would wail if the water touched his face! How fast they learn!! If only I had this with my Dad as a kid...

@interested - its not a 'smash myself' TT, just a long hard cruise. I just want to do one to see where I'm at as I've been in the water once a week for the last few weeks. Dunno about the equation Chief - could be great, could flop on its face, who knows :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

4 100s for me in 1:22, 1:20, 1:18, 1:18.

Sweet! :D

Bang! Head cold knocked me for 6 today. just about got through a days work in Dublin. Planned brick session out the window. Dosed up now. FFS!!!!!!

Bang! Head cold knocked me for 6 today. just about got through a days work in Dublin. Planned brick session out the window. Dosed up now. FFS!!!!!!

Bummer. I got something similar- come's on quick, eh? Still, one could say you're getting it out of the way at the best possible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Had a touch of a cold last week myself. Couldn't talk Friday, voice was gone! Never got too bad though. Seems everyone is picking things up the last week or so, a few in work also have the sniffles or sore throat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Better now than next week, nothing to be done at this stage will influence race day so best off putting feet up and getting to start line fresh & healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Better now than next week, nothing to be done at this stage will influence race day so best off putting feet up and getting to start line fresh & healthy.

+1

Speedy recovery and no heroics until fully recovered

Ok the man flu has since abated. Thanks to a Caz cocktail twice a day :D

A couple of sessions since

Bike: 55 minutes with an FTP effort
    Not a hope I was dusting off the turbo so I bolted out the door as soon as I got home from work to get the last of the daylight. I had 3*10 minutes FTP effort on the plan so I just shoved the reps together for a tough 30 minute effort. It wasn't bad. No knee pain. 39kmh for the rep. 37kmh overall. Simple short run off it. Legs felt heavy but I won't be anywhere near this intensity next week.

Swim: 3.8km straight
    This was swim session #4 this month :rolleyes: I feel I need 2 swims a week minimum to sustain form and 3 to build anything on top of it. Once a week is just slowing down the regression :( The numbers were not bad considering. 62:22 and fading for a finish. I hit the 1.5km mark in 24:20 which was too hard as it began to pinch. The next 1.5km was 24:51 so a real drop and my form went out the window. The last 800m was just hanging on. It was a PB for the distance in a pool but what matters is how it felt. I was wrecked afterwards. I'd have been a lot happier if I did a 62 and got out feeling like I could do a long bike and run a marathon. I just wanted to go back to bed. I joined the swim group for some tumble turn fun before I got out.

Run: 1 hour steady aerobic
    Very simple, run for an hour comfortably. I felt like crap for the first 30 minutes. I found a rhythm and settled after that to finish the run feeling better than I started. That was positive. Overall 13.13km at 152HR avg. Overall I felt heavy and stiff. My cadence felt lazy and it was somewhat laborious for the purpose. Half a click from home another runner passed me running in the same direction on the other side of the road. His form looked effortless for the speed he was going. I matched his pace for a minute and my heart rate shot to the mid 170s :eek: I'm just not in good run shape which is worrying.

Overall these sessions should have felt like nothing. The run especially should have felt like a warm up with the race only 7 days away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm not even going to ask what the twice a day Caz cocktail was. ;)

Tumble turns!!! Sweet, glorious tumble turns. Aquatic gymnastic poetry!! :D

A week to go.....no worries, just a little fun and games out there for you!! As you said....PAR-TAY afterwards!! :)

Yep, end of taper. Just one week of it. I suppose race week can be counted but its race focused not training taper focused.

Brick Session: 2:15 Bike/0:15 Run
    I headed out early for a simple out and back to Tipperary town. It was cold and dry and I wore 2 layers of full winter gear. Overkill but its not going to be 5 degrees next week! I got straight into 2 hours IM intensity and then cooled down. It was reasonably flat, just 250m rolling ascent, on half decent roads. With a slight headwind out and tail back it wasn't a bad simulation for a lap of Calella to Barcelona.

Overall 80km at 36kmh and HR 142. It was 32-33kmh out and 39-40kmh back. My heart rate was a bit higher than I intend to hold which could have been me heating up in all the gear too. It took a while to get the legs going but once warmed up the power was there. The sheer number of snot rockets suggests I'm not 100% healthy yet though.

The run was a short easy 15 minutes around the block. The legs felt very stiff and ropey to begin with but better by the end. I certainly didn't feel fresh but I had to rein the pace back to 4:43 for a 143 HR average.

It was a good session but the quads perhaps did a bit too much work on the bike. I'll have to rein it back on the bike to ensure I have any chance of getting through the marathon without an epic blow up. The run will just be about managing the pace, the heat, the pain, the demons...

Its Race Week.... gulp!! :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best with it Mike - just looking at the S/B/R table - you've gotten through a shed-load of volume this year, so I think you might surprise yourself.

Enjoy, and keep the other 2 amigos on their toes:)

• Advertisement

Yeah, good luck next week Mike, your a savage!! you'll do great, guaranteed!!! just look back at you season! I'll be eagerly awaiting a boards or FB post on your result, Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

alella to Barcelona.

Overall 80km at 36kmh and HR 142.

And me thinking 61km @ 34.5kph was half decent on Sat
    Power house...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Best Wishes Mike, We KNOW you can nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

handangeo wrote: »
    Best Wishes Mike, We KNOW you can nail it!

+1 but we also know that you can enjoy it. Rock on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

++1 best of luck Mike, you may not have the specific IM training that you wanted but you have the base and quality to get you through it

Hit the pool this morning. No fish about. No doubt saving themselves for the i3 swim at the weekend. My nemesis was there but hid at the back while I was elected to lead out. The main set was 2*400 off 7 and 10*150 off 2:40 no rest either. I maintained a steady 1:36 - 1:37 pace for the lot. I initially tried to shake the gang off but my arms and legs felt like concrete. I gave that up pretty quickly and focused on maintaining a decent pace. I had to work bloody hard to do so. In fact I found this very tough. One of the other Barcelona lads was doing his own thing in the next lane and I felt I should have been doing the same. I guess I felt I needed one more solid swim. I haven't been in the wetsuit in weeks so IM looking forward to a dip on the course in a few days.

The bike is cleaned and packed up. IM bringing 2 helmets in case there are more Both like shenanigans at bike check in! I'll have. to dust the cobwebs off the roadie for a short session on Wednesday. I have less work done but possibly more quality. All new nutrition and nutrition strategy. Zero expectation. 3kg heavier. Any predictions? :-)

Hit the pool this morning. No fish about. No doubt saving themselves for the i3 swim at the weekend. My nemesis was there but hid at the back while I was elected to lead out. The main set was 2*400 off 7 and 10*150 off 2:40 no rest either. I maintained a steady 1:36 - 1:37 pace for the lot. ...

3kg heavier. Any predictions? :-)

Easy sub 60 for your swim, how close to 55 depends on the conditions. Abhainn, then JackyBack, *edit* JB first, then Abhainn, catch you on the bike if they're going sub 10, otherwise its in the lap of the gods on the run (no contest here!). I reckon you'll run a lot quicker than you expect.

But sure what the hell do I know about it, you asked for predictions:D Go out there (all three of you) and give it what you got on the day, and enjoy the challenge. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

My only prediction is that you will perform better and enjoy yourself more than you expected you would a few weeks back. Best of luck with it. Can't wait to read your report - I think it will make us all smile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Have a blast Mike, enjoy it and make sure you earn the numerous beers that will await you at the end :)

• Advertisement

I honestly think all going well and nutrition going well...sub 1hr swim..maybe 58mins....
    not sure what terrain is like but I think you can easily average 33-34kph for bike giving around 5.15... all going well then you could nail a 3.30-3.45 marathon...all depends on how fast transitions are... I still think anywhere between 9.45-10.15.... 9.45 great day...10.15..happy day!!!....(bit too optimistic????)
    regardless..good luck and most of all enjoy it :D I hope it will be me some day

Advertisement