Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnM77

Hi, I've noticed a few people on here having cramping issues and I have had these too lately in my last couple of races. A club mate has suggested using Cramp Block. Seems to be multi-mineral tablets and he loads up on them in the week leading up to a race. He had cramping problems but since using this, he hasn't had any issues. Has anyone any experience with these? You can get them in cycle superstore.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=43907

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Early Swim/Bike Brick
    I had to get the session out of the way early today so alarm went off at 0445. Quick bite to eat, throw stuff in the car and drive out to Worlds End. The only life about was a pair of swans. The water was like glass and covered with a mist. The sun had yet to rise and I figured the air temp was lower than the water temp. It felt odd getting the wetsuit on and dipping a toe in so early but its good practice for IM morning I guess. 0530 and I'm in the water. It was really cold to start. I picked tree tops over the mist to aim for and plugged away. It took almost a km for the body to warm up a little and loosen out. My stroke was tight until then and I could hold 1:44 pace at best into the flow.

It was so quiet and serene. I lost my line every so often after breathing to my right and looking straight at the glaring rising sun through the trees. I felt good but my stroke just felt that little bit less efficient than last time. I reached the first set of wires crossing the reagatta course signalling a mile and turned back. The second km was better at 1:36 pace. As expected the mist began to lift as the sun rose but sighting was still tricky. I picked up the pace again for the last km, albeit with the help of the faintest flow. By the time I was dry and getting the bike gear on the mist had vanished leaving the surface clear. Perhaps I should have waited a half hour but the swim was done.
    Total 3.18km in 51:18 avg pace 1:36/100

I ate a powerbar and set off for the bike part at 0630. It was a beautiful morning by now with just a hint of a breeze. It was enough to give me a tiny shove out the old Dublin Road on the cycle lane towards Nenagh. The session entailed 2*15 minute segments at Olympic Distance intensity after a 45 minute warm up. It took a while to warm up too after the swim. The first rep was solid taking me a few clicks past Nenagh towards Borrisokane. I turned after an hour, spun easy for 10 minutes taking in a H5 gel. Very different to the PB gels in that you need little to no water to wash down.

The second rep was much harder. I just aimed to keep my heart rate in the 150-155 range which wasn't a problem on hills but took significant effort on flat. I felt I just didn't have the juice to turn the gears I wanted. I passsed a few cyclists on opposite side of the road and saluted them all. I don't think one of them acknowledged, whatever thats about. Overall the spin was decent but I sure have a real volume of work to do to maintain the pace for another 3 hours and the run a marathon!
    Total 71.24km in 2:03 avg speed 34.7kmh, HR 138

All in all a satisfying session put down and back home to watch Ireland get hammered by the all blacks. The quads feel pretty heavy though and will need some stretching later...

JohnM77 wrote: »
    Hi, I've noticed a few people on here having cramping issues and I have had these too lately in my last couple of races. A club mate has suggested using Cramp Block...

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=43907

They look loaded with the minerals alright but is that like throwing a ball of them at the issue in a hit and hope sort of fashion? How does such a load affect the hormones that are released to facilitate the positive and negative charges of the energy flow? Can you have too much of one? Taste? vs Nuun/H5 Zero ? etc... I'll pop the questions at a professional when I have the appointment.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had to get the session out of the way early today so alarm went off at 0445...
    I love it. :) Bloody good session. Jaysis but were all putting it up to each other.

Swim :)
    2 OW endurance, 1 good pool set, 1 junk pool
    Bike :cool:
    1 fun MTB, 1 decent 2hrs, 1 junk 2hrs
    Run :(:mad:
    1 easy junk
    S&C :mad:
    30 mins half hearted stretching

If that were the picture of how Kilkee is going to go, it would follow the pattern in Athy. Good swim, average bike and shelled out the back door on the run...

I had great intentions of a run yesterday but after 9 hours of painting, gardening and football with shotgunjunior I was beat. I expelled the last of my energy roaring and dancing at the Irish equaliser. Its 11 days to Kilkee. I have the bones of a week to find some form.. yeah right. My expectations are dropping fast. Surely I can improve on my 110th place as a rookie even if it goes belly up :cool:

OW swim endurance
    I was down to Worlds End early and tempted to just get on with it but had agreed to meet Mr Duracell. He is a few weeks out from IMAT so wasn't going to let him down. I shot the breeze with Trig1 and others until he arrived. With him was DaveR1, the first appearance of one of the fish. We all jumped in playfully and gathered in a group. The water was lovely and calm. In fact I was happy to be in it as I was baking on the slip with the wetsuit on and the sun heating it up. I felt the group was gearing up for a race start practice so I gestured to Mr Duracel to get going. 4 of us agreed to meet up at the ESB lines that signified the 1.6k mark and set off. As expected DaveR1 bolted off like a horse set free from the traps...

I jumped on his feet and decided I'd see how long could hold on. He was swimming "steady" It was suicide as I knew Mr Duracell was going to want to swim to the Regatta slip which was 2.5km away and I was burning matches fast following DaveR1. I decided to do 800m at his pace (1:29-1:30). When we hit that mark I glanced back to see the other 2 about 50m back. I was feeling good so pushed on. I managed to follow his bubbles right up to the first point. 1.6k down in 24 minutes I figured there was some sort of pb in there somewhere but no time to ponder as the other 2 lads arrived within a minute.

It was no surprise when one dropped off and Mr Duracell opted for the longer haul. We kicked off again with me on DaveR1's feet and Mr Duracell on mine. I held on up to 2k but then DaveR1 pulled away and Mr Duracell dropped off. I focused on leading with my elbow to get my reach which was sure to go once I tired. We hit the regatta slip for 2.5k in just under 39 minutes. I was almost goosed and the trip back suddenly seemed like a long long way. My shoulders were tired especially the right one, probably from the hours of painting on Sunday.

DaveR1 was getting cold so we had no chit chat. He flew off again as if there was a shark in the water. I set my own rhythm with Mr Duracell for company. I had to break the return leg down. Get to the wires, 1.6k to go. My shoulders were burning. The next set of "trees" on the corner meant 800m to go and was mentally the toughest stretch. I changed my focus to the last quarter of the stroke squeezing my triceps out for every inch. I tried also to not let my stroke rate drop as that would surely make the trip longer. Once we hit the trees it was just another 200m to swim before we caught sight of the Worlds End slip. It was a welcome sight that’s for sure, my shoulders were on fire and my hips were stiff. Mr Duracell was hanging in there a few meters back but his energy never dies and I knew he would be with me all the way.

With 300m to go I spotted a yellow hat and a stroke I thought I recognised as the technician approx 20m to my left. I drifted closer to discover it was actually my swim nemesis (who has equally a technically proficient stroke) ad she was slowly overtaking me. I wasn't having that! For the last 100 strokes I squeezed out the last drops of effort to hold her pace which hurt! I was tired for a finish but 5k down in 1:16 was as solid a swim as I've ever done....
    Total 5,010m in 1:16:03, avg pace 1:31/100m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Just...Wow! Great session to hold that pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Total 5,010m in 1:16:03, avg pace 1:31/100m

You make me sick.

Fantastic swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

You make me sick.

Fantastic swimming.

just as well he is not a fish :D

Gah late finish in work again and pounding headache = no training. 1 junk run in 10 days and I can't remember the last decent run. Dunlicky is going to beat me at this rate and El D will have it easy. Another day of pain looms menacingly...
    BennyMul wrote: »
    You make me sick.

Fantastic swimming.

just as well he is not a fish :D
    If I put in a better split than my nemesis I may be worthy of the company. It will fall downhill from there. Complete reverse of my rookie year where I feared the swim and the run didn't bother me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You're an animal!! Nice OW swim session!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Jesus your like the Man from Atlantis. You'll be swimming the channel next

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Abhainn wrote: »
    Jesus your like the Man from Atlantis. You'll be swimming the channel next

Showing your age there ;), that was ages ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

handangeo wrote: »
    Showing your age there ;), that was ages ago!

Patrick Duffy IIRC??? Man, I'm pushing on :D

@ the lads...Man from Atlantis? Way before my time :D I should know it though as it was an early Marvel comic mini series. I did see a healthy stack of early 1970's marvel comics at a recent auction fair whichI was tempte to pick up..

Interval Run & Yoga
    I really needed a good session to snap me out of this funk, ideally a good run. Gear on and out the door for 6 this morning with 5*1km intervals set up on the Garmin. It was a cracking morning. Bright, still, sunny and mild. I hadn't a clue how my legs would react to some speedwork so I figured I'd do it on RPE and just go when the watch buzzed. After an easy 15 minute warm up I got stuck in. I chose an industrial estate which was as flat as a track would be. I had 2 minute jogging recoveries. The output target was approx 10k pace so I had 3:45-3:50 in mind.
    Actual Reps
    1km in 3:33, avg HR 157
    1km in 3:26, avg HR 162
    1km in 3:19, avg HR 165
    1km in 3:22, avg HR 164
    1km in 3:26, avg HR 167

No idea where that session came out of. I've never posted reps like that and with a max HR of 174 too :confused: Ok, I was working pretty hard and knew it was probably faster than 10k effort since I had my hands on my knees after the last two. Strangely though the HR corresponded to the target output. I'll have to set a target pace on the Garmin next time to keep me in line. My hamstring tightened up as usual but was ok once I had run easy back home.
    Total 13.08km, avg pace 4:06

I spent an hour after the run doing yoga sun salutation sequences very slowly, ab work and stretching. I creakd like a barn door on some of the poses. I focused the stretching on the likely cramping candidates. I felt really good afterwards and pleased with my decision to drop the wednesday swim group for this :) I even think I'll retain the pattern and move the swim somewhere else. I had time to relax and enjoy breakfast too which also felt good.

Nice running Mike. I smell a good performance in Kilkee! :cool:

@pgibbo.. hopefully mate. Not too bothered though, what happens happens

Turbo sweet spot session
    Pretty simple 80 minutes on the saddle with the sweat dripping off me
    20 minutes 80% FTP
    20 minutes 85-90%
    10 minutes 90-95%
    5 minutes 95-100%
    5 minutes 100-105%
    20 minutes 60%
    It felt grand after I recalibrated the flow. I did it all on the one gear except for the cool down so the SS section began at a low 80rpm and increased with each level to 110rpm. I had no time to run off it as I had to shower and get something to eat before fasting for this mornings bloods.
    Total 1:20 at 269w avg, 48.3km

So I had an interesting chat with a guy about the Athy experience amongst other things all while dunking chocolate hobnobs into tea, quality :) A whole bunch of blood tests are en route for a check now to hopefully rule everything out. I didn't go to my own doc as I wanted to talk to someone who had an idea about endurance sports. Interestingly he suggested that the cramps could be a result of me 'crunching' some nerve in my spine both when I run and stay in an aggressive TT position for prolonged periods lifting my head often. After all the medical spiel to his theory we boiled it down to posture and the lower back needing attention. Sway back he said. Also no harm in taking a magnesium supplement pending the blood result for that specifically since I have a race next week.

I guess me and the exercise mat will get more familiar with each other :rolleyes: One part of it made sense as I can't deny that everytime I do yoga I feel great, like I'm taller or smething. I guess that will help to line me up.

The other part of the discusion was more around my M.O and what I already know about myself. I read an interesting article about Coach Darren Smith in Last month's TE Mag. How he is a process orientated coach. He gets his athletes (a lot of whom are top ITU and London bound) to focus on their checklist for a given race and as long as they tick the boxes the outcome should take care of itself. I guess its a mantra I know I have to adopt and use the Coach to support for myself.

Once the bloods come back its on to the nutritionist.

Thursday: Easy hilly run
    It was pretty late when I got out and the wind was fairly wild. It was hard to run in a straight line at times. Not metrics for this, it was a simple 50 minutes over a local hilly route. I thought about doubling back over some of the shorter hills but the wind was enough to contend with. I wasn't the only one out at dusk as plenty of other kindred spirits meandered around suburbia. I felt rather heavy and fat if I were honest.
    Total 10.5km ish

Friday: Turbo VO2 training
    Pain cave: 2 mins hard, 2 easy, 3 hard, 3 easy, 4,4,3,3,2,2.....
    The hard bits were at 110-115% FTP and hurt appropriately. I had to grit the teeth for e 4 minutes but got it done with some growling and focus. VO2 sesssions are not for the feint hearted. You either nail them and feel brilliant or they smash you and leave you broken. There is no in between. I won this round :)
    Total 37.7km, avg 280w

Steady Aerobic Run
    Being in the office on a Saturday sucks sweaty ass and no better way to break it up than a trot around the city at lunch. Its mild and humid out there and the wind is still fresh. I felt good for most of this running along the river bank for serenity. The pace was so steady it almost became trance like. Weird I almost felt myself drifting off to sleep even though my heart rate was in the mid 150s :confused: If it wasn't for the occasional sidestep or hurdle of a toy dog on one of those elastic leashes, I may have strayed into a tree or a car, who knows... very odd run! The last 3km was mostly uphill and a bit more effort, leaving me breathing quite eavily for a finish.
    Total 14.1km, avg 4:18 pace

I'll take 2 out of 3 of those as quality. I think I'm down to 126 quality sessions to go...

Meeting the Beast Team after work for a few hours of a recce. MTB ready, bag packed with supplies ready... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Great read catching up on the last week or so of your training Mike. The 5k swim :eek: Wow man, the 1k reps :o Look you won't have to be glancing over your shoulder in Kilkee believe me, after the week I've just had dude I won't be up to too much. Anyway even on my best form you would have a 2-3 min out of the water and at best I'd match your bike...at best, then the tough run well your this is where your mountain running will kick in :) Actually Mike I expect you to be right up there seriously, I just hope you don't have cramping issues. Hope today went well.

Training for the Beast
    I met up with one of my team mates, currently injured, after work to be transported to the middle of nowhere. I met my other 2 team mates here, Peter and Jacqo. They had been trekking for a few hours already and got lost a couple of times. They didn't look happy but put up brave faces for first introductions. We set off at 5:30 to do what’s called a hike to bike back to the Ballyhoura Mountains. They loomed a few miles in the distance. We had to follow the river to a rendez vous. It wasn't as straight forward as that though.

Hike to Bike
    We found the narrow river and were immediately shin deep in muddy water and dragging our bikes with us over very soggy fields. It was very slow going. I suggested leaving the wet bank to slightly higher but firmer ground and we began to make progress. After 15-20 minutes a trail of sorts, basically flattened long grass showed up on the bank and we could cycle. I believe it was part of last years route. We cycled for the next hour slowly but it involved stopping to lift our bikes over turnstyles and walls about 15 times. We found a road and followed it on the map to a Church. We found a field around the church and the river on the other side of it.

We opted for a short break to eat and to plot our next move. We had found the river but once we left the trail a while back had lost our orientation and now had to decide whether to go left or right. I ate a half a humus, turkey and cheese roll and a nutri grain 11s washed down with electrolyte water. We studied the map and agreed a direction only for it to become very obvious. I remembered we were cycling against the flow of the river and all we had to do was continue against the flow... duh! The ditches between fields made it impossible to stay on the bank so we took a rough farmers track to find our way back onto a dry road. This section was only 10km or so but took over an hour.

Bike climb
    We pedalled a few kms on road double checking the map to ensure we took the right turns. The final turn off the road onto a fire road gave us a climb to contend with. It was slow going again. I felt good and lost the others initially before doubling back down to join Peter. Jacqo was walking so we granny ring'd it to the rendez vous approx 3km up the hill. Jacko was feeling it by now but she was proving to be a tough girl. It was just after 6:30. We dropped our bikes and drank fluids and set off for a mountain trail run.

Trail run
    Basically 9.5km straight up to the top and zig zagging back down to the Mountain Bike centre car park. We had set off at a steady pace but were down to a walk for the last km of the climb. It was cold and misty at the top and we got soaked. I was fast learning the progress of the team was dictated by the slowest member of that section. I suggested picking up to a run to get out of the mist quicker which we did. I lead down the mountain on a wet and rocky trail. I loved this. It was a steady effort to stay together and I had to resist the urge to let loose. The mood picked up too as Jacko found some energy and trotted along chatting about the Tarahumara Tribe and generally getting to know each other. Peter was pointing out trail markers for the mountain bike routes as we passed them. We put the run down in just under an hour and found our bikes back at the car park.

Mountain Bike trails & hill run

We got a bite to eat and transition to bikes, wet gear and head torches. I took on a half a mars bar, a powerbar and a half bottle of carb drink. We were eyed up by another team who had just finished a day on the trails and plenty of banter followed. Apparently the girl on their team was a beast on the trails and had left the lads standing. Anyway, I was really excited about the next part. One of my new year’s resolutions was to bike the Ballyhoura Trails and if possible to also do them at night. It was 8pm and all going well I'd knock both of these off the list :D

Peter knew the trails so he led off and I followed. It was my first time on proper trails and I was well impressed. I was also reassured by Peter that I'd seen nothing yet and he described a series of 'boards' we would have to negotiate that would present a challenge. Em, ok. As much as I wanted to let loose again it was slow going. We had to stop after every checkpoint to wait for Jacko to catch up. At one point she almost quit but bravely plugged away. In fairness she would normally be right up with the boys but wasn't feeling great. Both she and Peter had done an Adventure Race in Dingle the previous weekend.

We had intended to do the white loop which was 35km but since we were making slow progress opted for the 25km brown loop instead. The first hour involved lots of climbing. We took a break where the brown and white loop split and got some food on board. The other half of the marsbar, other half of the humus and turkey roll and more liquid carbs for me. We dumped the bikes to do a 5km hill run, Jacqo needed to get more food on board so hung back while Peter and I trotted out a steady climb. It was very loose rocks and Peter said we had to bike over this after the run. I remember looking at him incredulously. On the way back down to our delight we saw Jacqo jogging up to meet us, happy days :)

We got our electrolytes on board and took a moment to take in the fantastic view. It was almost 10:30pm and darkness was falling. I lead back into the trails with bike lights and head torch searching out the trail in front of me. I got a little carried away, mainly because I was a little scared to begin with and soon lost the guys. I stopped for a few minutes and got worried when they didn't appear. I had descended for 10 minutes and didn't fancy retracing. It was pitch dark. Eventually the lights from the others shone through the trees and I breathed a sigh of relief. I let Peter take over the lead to keep the pace steady. My bike fitness was probably a bit higher than the guys but I was the rookie too and just had to rein it in. Also I was a bit worried about these boards as Peter was also concerned about them.

We threaded through the woods steadily and sure enough I heard a Call to watch out for the Boards. Peter had dismounted to walk across them but I realised too late and was on them before I could get off. They were basically planks of wood about a foot to a foot and a half turned sideways and 2-3 feet above what could only be described as a marsh. Peter advised that we do not want to fall in there and was taking no risks. I couldn't help giving them a go though. The first one was grand. It was the adrenalin of keeping my balance in the dark that heightened by awareness. I just didn't look over the side and focused on the board in front of my wheel. The board was maybe 100-200m long. The second was a bit more challenging as it had some rises in it and some raised tracks to knock your momentum. All in all there were 5, the final one including a slanted bend. I was happy to get through them and thought they were a cool feature of the trail.

The rest of the trail was grand although we had a tricky section of boulders to negotiate and some tight weaving through trees. There was a section which descended in a series of sweeps from left to right in a sort of slalom which I really enjoyed. It was tough and scary at times but fun all the same. We got back to the car park after 11:30 and were glad to finish up. The guys were tired and I just wanted to take off my wet socks. We had a final 4km or so on road to cycle back to Ardpatrick to finish up just shy of midnight :)

It was a good session, although we had to omit a couple of sections that were planned due to slow progress. 36 hours of this is going to be interesting!! :eek:

Today I had a simple 2.5 hour bike with some 4*15 Olympic Distance Reps but the legs were pretty heavy as expected I guess. I tested a gel with an electrolyte drink and no ill effects so I'll experiment in Kilkee with it. I had a short run off it planned but I was A) wrecked due to not fuelling the bike and B) had visitors due over, lawn to cut and dinner to put on. It wasn't worth the risk of going into severe brownie points debt for it.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

ballyhoura is class.. i've done the brown trail and white trail a couple of times and they are a great buzz, fell twice on the boards last year and I think I actually nearly started crying!!! :D great crack though, did you not fall at all during mountain bike section??? downhill sections are great fun..makes me wanna get out there again sometime soon!!

• Advertisement

Easy Run
    I probably hit the road too soon after getting up as I barely half awake to begin with. It was just 30 minutes easy but I was almost stumbling over myself for the first few minutes. Then it transpired that my legs were dead and had zero interest in work. I dragged them up a hill reluctantly. 15 minutes done, grand, turn around and trot back home. Suddenly the bowel moved and was in trouble. Usually I'd have no shame and would duck into a field or a ditch, however I was stuck in suburbia. The run home with clenched butt cheeks and sweat dripping down my face was just not pleasant but I made it thankfully...
    I only had time for a short stretch before gtting ready for work. The body feels pretty stiff from the weekend and I could do with a good sleep also.
    Total 6km.
    Trig1 wrote: »
    ballyhoura is class.. i've done the brown trail and white trail a couple of times and they are a great buzz, fell twice on the boards last year and I think I actually nearly started crying!!! :D great crack though, did you not fall at all during mountain bike section??? downhill sections are great fun..makes me wanna get out there again sometime soon!!
    No I didn't fall. I had some moments where the handlebar would clip a tree or the back wheel would spin in deeper mud. I even missed a turn on the trail at one point and had to make my way through trees to get back on it. In fairness we were not going at any risky pace so I could more or less size up what was in fornt of me, plus it was dark. I did let go of the brakes on some downhills for a bit of a thrill ;) Definitely class and I'm mad to go back for more. I had cages on the pedals though which annoyed the hell out of me...

OW swim endurance
    Most of the gang were out yesterday evening even our pool lane lead Waterpolo Boy. I knew he would drag DaveR1 off into the distance, particularly since Dave beat him out of the water last weekend. That was one for the books! It left Mr Duracell and I to do our own thing. I lead off after the rest passing a few on the first stretch to the trees. I hugged the bank as I knew there were several rowing crews on the water including coxless pairs who may not spot stray swimmers. I felt good and focused on a long steady stroke. I thought I spotted the 2 lads up ahead but it turned out to be swans. I swam wide around them as they can sometimes get aggressive if the family are tucked in around them. We reached the wires in a shade over 25 minutes only for the 2 fish to catch up with us. They must have left the slip after us.

I knew Mr Duracell wouldn't have said no to a longer swim but I knew my energy was low and I'd struggle. With IMAT next week he saw sense and we set of back home. After just a few strokes we spotted RedB on his mission to reach the wires and just checked if he was ok alone. I jumped on DaveR1's feet for about 800m. Waterpolo Boy was clearly enjoying his first swim out here as he spent half the time on his back and playing with the reeds on the bank! I was swimming faster than my CSS pace to just hang onto DaveR1 swimming steady. We had dropped Mr Duracell too. Waterpolo Boy then obviously decided to do some swimming and drifted over to us like a curious shark. He rocked up parallel and then lifted the pace taking DaveR1 with him. I tried to go with them for about 50m but I was at max effort and losing ground so I gave up the ghost. The speed they pulled away playing their game was impressive :eek: I had burned my shoulders off by now and it was a tired last effort from the trees back to the slip. Mr Duracell even closed the gap on me by the end. I guess my arms were tired too from all the mountain biking at the weekend. Waterpolo Boy was grinning like he opened a Christmas present. I suppose we will be seeing more of him out at Worlds End.
    Total 3,200m in 50 minutes.

Day off today am I'm glad for it..

Gah sometimes life just conspires against you. Really stressfull day that needed an outlet. I even forgot my shorts and missed the weekly underwater session with shotgunjunior. He did set a new PB for holding his breath and his water slapping summersaulting uninhibited glee put a smile on my face. I needed a session also as yesterday was a complete day off and the body needed a wake up call. Oh well moved it forward to the morning. Rain forecasted... penance

Early morning brick session
    Not ideal doing this first thing in the morning 2 days out from race day but I'd have been in a bad place motivation wise if I skipped it again. I could have done it last night but it would have entailed eating late and going to bed late. I'm currently keeping a diet and training log for the nutritionist, who's sport science students will also dissect :D I can see the glaring areas for improvement and the temptation is there to "be good" as I log but to give a true reflection I am almost reluctantly eating the crap that I'd usually graze upon. The guilt is ten fold :o Anyway, I took the early night option and got out of the scratcher first thing. I was expecting rain and rain is what I got for my penance...

The Bike: Just under an hour out to Croom and back mostly in TT position. It was positively dreary conditions and cold too.
    10 mins warm up
    10 mins @ 148 HR avg, 36.4kmh
    5 mins easy
    10 mins @ 147 HR avg, 38.6kmh
    5 mins easy
    10 mins @147 HR avg, 37.5kmh
    8 mins easy
    The first half of the first rep was uphill to and through Patrickswell which which I imagined was the drag after the steep hill out of Kilkee. My shins felt cold and it took a while to get the power down as I didn't feel fully warmed up. There was no real wind and the 2nd rep was fine. The 3rd rep had a couple of short hills which took more out of me. It wasn't a bad run but I'm not happy about the output. While the reps were better than the weekend I'd still expect a 155ish average HR. Again I felt I was just lacking the juice to hit that effort. Between the reps my HR was dropping back below 120.
    Total 34.12km, avg 35.4kmh

The Run: After a quick tansition I skirted off for 15 minutes at race intensity. The legs felt wooden to indicate I put in a decent enough effort on the bike for a transition feel and also had a good quick transition. I had short sharp hill straight away but hit my desired effort and pace soon afterwards. The watch beeped with 3:53, 3:52, 3:50 and 3:52 pace for the last bit. I was happy with that but the HR had climbed to 174 and it was starting to hurt. Part of that was perhaps me roasting in the waterproof hi viz cycling jacket. Still if, and its a very big IF, I can hold anything close to that for the first 15-20 minutes of Kilkee which is highly unlikely, I'll throw whatever I have left to hold on for as long as I can. There was no sign of cramp too which was good. My only concern ths morning was how tight my stride felt and mainly due to very tight hamstrings and lower back. The mat and roller call for me this evening.
    Total 3.9km, avg 3:52 pace, HR 161

Overall a decent enough session. I had 2 close calls also. One on the bike. I was 7 minutes into my last 10 minute rep and a blue transit was paked on a roundabout!! He indicated as I approached but surely he had seen me. Nope, he pulled out right across me and had to brake suddenly. Muppet #1 :mad: Next on the run I was 5 minutes from home and breathing heavily. I approached an exit of an estate only to have a car speeding out of the estate and not looking to her left. Another sudden braking situation and a window rolled down to give out to me?!! Hang on a second lady, you missed the 'Stop' sign, you were speeding, you have a child in the back, I was wearing a high viz jacket with reflectors on it, you had no lights on in low visibility! Needless to say I told her exactly where to go with her attitude, Muppet #2 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Very jealous of those OW sessions MCOS, they sound epic :cool:

So all set for HoTW? What is your hope/aim for this? Anyone you have you're eye and would love to finish ahead of?

Very jealous of those OW sessions MCOS, they sound epic :cool:

So all set for HoTW? What is your hope/aim for this? Anyone you have you're eye and would love to finish ahead of?

+1

Is that where Limerick Regatta is held Mike?

Pool session.
    Since I've dropped the Wednesday group session from my schedule I've included a Coach prescribed set to Thursday. It was a real dilemma to drop the group set as it’s a great session and one that has really brought my swimming on. Alas we cannot do it all. Headed down to the pool yesterday evening after work. As expected it was busy. They were setting the place up for a gala and there were oodles of young swim teams going through their paces. The fast lane was busy but the slow lane looked like the usual chaos including one lad with the most unusual stroke I've seen. One arm over the water, the other sculling beneath. Breathing every stroke lifting his head straight up. Legs dangling. He looked like he was drowning or half of his body was almost paralysed but he had a rhythm and moved forward in a sort of focused crab like fashion. I didn't fancy disturbing the evolution of modern swimming and opted for the busy fast lane.

The fast lane consisted of 2 serious masters swimmers who still managed to tumble turn with a gang hanging out on the wall, a few triathletes, a couple of distance swimmers, and a pale skinny kid making mincemeat of them all doing all out breast stroke 50s. He literally didn’t have a pick on him and looked like the main character in the “diary of a wimpy kid” books shotgunjunior is reading. However his technique was good enough to lift his entire torso out of the water on each stroke and he moved faster than the masters boys doing regimented 150s. I eventually decided to quit dawdling an get in when the coast was clear.

I got the warm up done without many issues. I guess people just got out of the way when they see someone approaching the wall hard.
    300 steady,
    4*50 as 25 steady 25 hard, in on 40,40,37,37 taking 40 secs between them
    The main set was 12*100 at CSS (threshold) with 30 secs rest. CSS is about 1:30 for me these days and I aimed for that. Actual reps in on
    1:26/1:28/1:26/1:27/1:29/1:28/1:26/1:29/1:29/1:29/1:28/1:28
    Very pleased with those. I felt I went too hard for the first few and relaxed ever so slightly. I’ve managed to get a set of 100s under 1:30 in group sessions but that would be either on someone’s feet or chasing someone’s feet. Getting them done on my own is a sure sign of progression. It was solid work but comfortable too. I focused mainly on not disturbing the water and levering past the catch. I noticed when I pulled too soon and broke the water how it dropped my body lower and I had less power, also how my left elbow dropped when I tired having a similar consequence. The lane etiquette was great too, for such a busy lane you hardly noticed anyone else there and could get on with things. When I slowed down for a warm down I made sure to keep out of the way.
    Total 2,000m good session.

More or less, nothing else to be done now except a sleep and registration etc...
    First scalp is my swim nemesis. If I get out of the water ahead of her I'm off to an ideal start. I have another scalp in mind whom I've never beaten but am getting closer. I will need a my best swim, a strong bike and a pb run off it. Tall order but if I can hit T2 first it will be game on.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Is that where Limerick Regatta is held Mike?
    Yep. We are spoiled with a serene 3.5km stretch of water that we only have to share with some rowing crews, swans and the odd fisherman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"If I get out of the water ahead of her I'm off to an ideal start"

from memory this shouldn't really be a problem - unless you're over 40 now since the lassies go in the second wave with the more seasoned males.

Has this changed for this years race ?

interested wrote: »
    "If I get out of the water ahead of her I'm off to an ideal start"

from memory this shouldn't really be a problem - unless you're over 40 now since the lassies go in the second wave with the more seasoned males.

Has this changed for this years race ?
    Ah yes good point forgot that. No its still the same, ladies are with the ould fellas. I've only done HOTW once and have been out on the course marshalling the last 2 years. A feic it lets just see if I can get close to any of your cubs ;)

• Advertisement

Last tune up. 35 min bike inc some pick ups and 10 min easy run off. I felt heavy and only got going after 20 mins. Warm sunshine, light drizzle and very fresh south westerly wind within the 45 mins. Hamstrings was tight and my only concern. Finished with sweat dripping of me. I think conditions like this tomorrow will be challenging. Getting stuff ready now. Read my rookie diary and I have a 27 swim 78 bike and 47 run to beat. It was a warm sunny day back then. I came 110th...

Advertisement