Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Have a read back over the previous posts on this thread. The which manufacturer is trashed out again and again.

In terms of which is better - they are all very capable cameras more than enough for someone starting. Throw them into the DPReview comparison generator - yes, throw all three in there, to see the specific features that one has over the other. There's not a significant difference to be had.

Thanks, i'll look at the comparison site.
    dinneenp wrote: »
    A few bits-
    • if you're buying locally ask them can she return it and get different brand if she wants?
    • Sony are doing 'VAT' off deal at the moment.
    • I don't know if cameras come down in price a lot after Xmas but maybe give her a card with homemade voucher (instead of cash in the envelope) so she can buy which one she wants in the sales.
    • if buying from abroad and know anyone in the States Black Friday is this Friday. Big reductions.
    • Not romantic (again) but look at adverts.ie etc for 2nd hand stuff. Get a lot more bang for your buck.
    I'm travelling to the middle east next week and plan on picking it up over there to reduce the impact on my wallet :) But cheers for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm travelling to the middle east next week and plan on picking it up over there to reduce the impact on my wallet :) But cheers for the suggestions.

Sounds corny but maybe try to throw it into conversation:
    • If you have the newspaper, happen upon the lotto results and say 'X million, wow, what would you buy with that...'
    • or play 'X' or 'Y' game and sneak it it- would you prefer-holiday in Africa or new York, die from heat or cold, Sony or Canon
    • or mention the dedication of Applefanboys and ask would you be dedicated/favour any brand...
    • or say a colleague at work wants to buy a new camera and ask what brand she'd recommend (might be best option).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

I am buying my son a camera for Christmas. He is adamant that the camera for him is the SONY Alpha A55. He will use it for motor sport photography and feels that this is the best option for this as it takes 7 frames per second and has auto focus. I keep asking him if he would not be better off getting a cannon which would probably would have a better trade in value Anyone purchased this camea already and if yes would be grateful for your opinion on it ar alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I know most professionals and entusiasts won't be using cameras like this but I don't anything really about cameras so could anyone tell me if this would be a good camera for £70?

I'm thinking about getting it as an xmas present for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I know most professionals and entusiasts won't be using cameras like this but I don't anything really about cameras so could anyone tell me if this would be a good camera for £70?

I'm thinking about getting it as an xmas present for someone.

I suppose it be a good choice for this price. Is pros for me: 1st place carl zeiss optics still means for me good picture quality. You can read about here: http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/sony-dsc-w320.cfm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Hi Folks,
    My wife is interested in gettting into photography and wants to get a good entry level D SLR camera.
    The one she is thinking about at present is the Nikon D3100.
    Is there another camera at a similar price which would be a better one to go for?
    If not, does anyone have any advice on the best place to purchase - so far I haven't seen it any cheaper than on Amazon. We'd prefer to buy Irish but they seem to be a lot more expensive over here.
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Online is nearly always cheaper.

I've said it about half a dozen times in the last month but spend your money on good lenses. Cameras depreciate too fast to spend too much on them, unless you go for a high end body. Get the camera that feels right in your hand, feels nicest to use and doesn't confuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi Folks,
    My wife is interested in gettting into photography and wants to get a good entry level D SLR camera.
    The one she is thinking about at present is the Nikon D3100.
    Is there another camera at a similar price which would be a better one to go for?
    If not, does anyone have any advice on the best place to purchase - so far I haven't seen it any cheaper than on Amazon. We'd prefer to buy Irish but they seem to be a lot more expensive over here.
    Thanks in advance.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=d3100

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5592829/Trail/searchtext%3E1000D.htm

currys will beat any price by 10%. So take an argos book to the store with you to prove your price. Work them to your advantage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Want to buy a decent camera.
    It will be used for still shots (for use with websites), action shots(boxing) and videos (also boxing), these are only for personal use.

Heres what I've narrowed it down to so far:

FUJI FinePix HS10 € 299
    PENTAX K-x € 499 EDIT: € 420 in argos
    NIKON Coolpix P100 € 322
    PANASONIC Lumix DMC-FZ38 € 269

What do ye think?
    Any other suggestions?

Have you tried any of them out?

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Have you tried any of them out?

Haven't tried any of them, just checked reviews and comparison sites.
    I'm only new to this so I'm looking for something that will do me for now, and if I get more into photography that I wont have to be changing cameras.

The best thing is try a few of them out. You may hate the ergonomics of a particular model or find it too slow and unresponsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathmhaoil1

Hi to all!

Don't know if Im putting this in the right forum, but need advice. Looking to spend up to 150 on a camera and was wnodering what people would recommoend? Complete novice when it comes to cameras I'm afraid!!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Have you read any of this thread so far? Lots and lots of good advice already given on a range of budgets. It gets tiresome to repeat it all.

Also bear in mind this is a photography forum not a consumer electronics forum. Most regulars here will simply not use small point and shoot cameras making it difficult to comment on the millions of new models that pop out each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathmhaoil1

Fair enough. Thats me told..

5uspect wrote: »
    The best thing is try a few of them out. You may hate the ergonomics of a particular model or find it too slow and unresponsive.

What shop would be best to do that in? Currys?

Any shop that lets you grab hold of one and press buttons I guess.
    Curry's is probably a good bet alright. Their sales staff are known for being a bit pushy but they seem to be trying to clean up their act and you may even get a good deal.

Fair enough. Thats me told..

Perhaps that came across too harsh. So you want to spend €150 on a camera.
    Do you want a small pocket digital camera. Would you consider second hand SLRs or film?

If you want a small digital Point and Shoot go to a shop and find one you like the look and feel of, there's isn't much difference in a lot of them nowadays. If you want to experiment with photography with an SLR have a look at adverts.ie. You could get a second hand 350D SLR for around €250, or even less for an old film camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

What shop would be best to do that in? Currys?

Try that one or by online e.g pixmania.
    An advice: read it thru one more time all reviews and find the model which have the shortest shutter lag, what means the shortest time from push the button, focusing and firing. Usually it takes avg 1sec at pocket cameras, the dSLR-s are quicker some need only 0.1sec or around. A quick kind you need for action photography, if you really want to catch the right moment and not 1-2 sec later on. An another pros on a dSLR "account" is the delay between 2 shoots, as they usually have a frame buffer (temporary storage) what speeding up the writing process, so until filled up this buffer you can take more photos very quickly or you can choice series shooting for x frames (frame number depend on the device). This series shooting frame rate and amount of frames also higher at dSLR than a point and shoot camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi ,
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good P&S for someone that is not too interested in photography but is quite gadgety, he likes up to date stuff.Budget is about 300 euro , any ideas anyone ?
    Cheers :)

Edit :Oops, just saw I should not be posting this here , don't know how to move it though ,sorry

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

hi. id like to buy a new camera, but i wouldnt have a clue about what id be looking for. i would like a digital one that can also record a video on it for youtube etc. and it also has to be reasonably priced. any suggestions ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi ,
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good P&S for someone that is not too interested in photography but is quite gadgety, he likes up to date stuff.Budget is about 300 euro , any ideas anyone ?
    Cheers :)

Edit :Oops, just saw I should not be posting this here , don't know how to move it though ,sorry

Im in the same boat, looking for a decent point and shoot camera for my girlfriend, something she can fit in her handbag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

I've narrowed it down down to 2 possible choices;
    the Canon eos 1000d and the Olympus pen e-pl1

The thing that appeals to me about the olympus is that it is a lot more compact than the canon and I think that would encourage me to carry it around more. Although I don't want the quality of the pics compromised because it's small. I'd rather get the canon if that be the case. But maybe the olympus takes just as sharp an image and I'm being doubtful because it looks like regular digital with lens attached :(

Basically don't wanna spend a huge amount of money and then regret it. I even checked up the dp comparison and I'm still not too clear on which to go for. If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be so great. Or if you think there's a better alternative let me know.

comparison link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

swapple wrote: »
    I've narrowed it down down to 2 possible choices;
    the Canon eos 1000d and the Olympus pen e-pl1

The thing that appeals to me about the olympus is that it is a lot more compact than the canon and I think that would encourage me to carry it around more. Although I don't want the quality of the pics compromised because it's small. I'd rather get the canon if that be the case. But maybe the olympus takes just as sharp an image and I'm being doubtful because it looks like regular digital with lens attached :(

Basically don't wanna spend a huge amount of money and then regret it. I even checked up the dp comparison and I'm still not too clear on which to go for. If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be so great. Or if you think there's a better alternative let me know.

comparison link

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_epl1.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/canon/canon_eos1000d.asp

i have the canon 1000d and love it. Im still discovering functions on it. I have blown up portraits to 12"x16" with really good results . They are now hung on my wall. I see that the Olympus has a smaller sensor than the canon. Does this effect enlarged photo's? From what I have read on the net I think it does.
    I find the size a little bit of a pain when going about day to day life, but is worth it when I see the results.

I have plans to build a collection of lens and there is always plenty to choose from on the net. Lots of canon gear out there for sale.

I do like the Olympus. It looks like a really nice camera.

I have seen the 1000d advertised in Jesops up north for 389 pounds with an IS lens, which I believe to be a better deal than any in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

<SNIP> Looking for a beginner sdlr. Can only spend 400-500euros on the camera and lense.

I have been recommended the lumix fz100, but i have a few questions about it.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4426

it doesnt appear to be able to change lenses. Is that a big issue, how does one focus/zoom on an picture, is it digital zoom as it looks like you cant turn the lense.

I would also like the camera to be able to do long exposure shot (down the line)(like take a picture every 1 second or so for 30 seconds. If this is possible.

Possibly take nice night shots.

again im only a beginner.

any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm thinking of picking up a new lens, and i'm unsure of what to get.

Ideally, i'd like something that's good in low lighting (for gigs) and decent for portraits.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2538832/art/nikon/af-s-dx-nikkor-35-mm-f-1.html
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4129676/art/sigma/18-50mm-f2-8-4-5-dc-os-hs.html

I was thinking of getting the Sigma as it'd replace my kit 18-55 vr lense, and it's supposed to be decent in low lighting, but the low aperature of the Nikon would be nice for portraits i guess, but i'd lost the option of a wider angle.

Has anybody got any suggestions or opinions? or even other lense alternatives in and around the 250 euro budget?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

the f1.8 would be a better bet for gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

AdrianII wrote: »
    <SNIP> Looking for a beginner sdlr. Can only spend 400-500euros on the camera and lense.

I have been recommended the lumix fz100, but i have a few questions about it.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4426

it doesnt appear to be able to change lenses. Is that a big issue, how does one focus/zoom on an picture, is it digital zoom as it looks like you cant turn the lense.

I would also like the camera to be able to do long exposure shot (down the line)(like take a picture every 1 second or so for 30 seconds. If this is possible.

Possibly take nice night shots.

again im only a beginner.

any recommendations?

that's not a dslr, it's a bridge camera with a fixed lense. it's digital zoom, not too sure if there's a zoom ring on the lense, there was on my old fujifilm, but there'll be zoom buttons like a normal digital camera more than likely. most bridge camera's can do long exposures, but if you're spending over 400 euro on a camera, go for a beginners dslr like the nikon d3000 or the canon 1000d with the kit lense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

thanks, the cannon 1000 looks very nice, might investigate it further.
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The f1.8 is probably better for portraits too.. although the focal-length is a bit short for portraits. The other is definitely better if you need the ability too zoom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement