Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

what is that pentax k-x like to use?can't see any in shops

I'm very happy with it anyway. I find it has a great menu system, with everything very easy to access. It's very good at high ISO, has in built stabilizer. It gets great reviews.
    I know that Currys should have it.

The only downside is that less people have Pentax so it's a bit harder to get lenses 2nd hand and prime lenses seem to be a bit more expensive. If you have some friends with Canon/Nikon maybe go with that brand as you can borrow/swap lenses easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm very happy with it anyway. I find it has a great menu system, with everything very easy to access. It's very good at high ISO, has in built stabilizer. It gets great reviews.
    I know that Currys should have it.

The only downside is that less people have Pentax so it's a bit harder to get lenses 2nd hand and prime lenses seem to be a bit more expensive. If you have some friends with Canon/Nikon maybe go with that brand as you can borrow/swap lenses easily.

ever use the video function?+

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

dinneenp wrote: »
    ++1. I have the Pentax K-X, which takes 4 AA batteries and I have the high capacity ones (were 1/2 price in some electrickal store). My camera can go for weeks without a charge.

Lack of use? :p

The li-ions will also last quite a long time but rechargable AAs give you so much more flexibility if you're caught out. In my old 350D I always use Uinross Hybros and the battery grip with the li-ion as a backup.

I'm very happy with li-ion in the 7D but getting the grip is at the back of my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

ive been saving up to buy a panasonic gf1 system, and today i found out they are releasing the gf2 soon.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/

its upgraded with touchscreen, full hd and stereo sound, and is smaller, but will be packaged with different kit lenses .

i dont actually like the look of this one compared to the gf1, im wondering how it will be priced.

im also wondering how do the rest of u cope when u spend a chunk of money on a new camera and then u find out a newer version has been released?! :confused:

im so undecided now its doing my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Does anyone know if the D3100 allows auto focus for video recording? Is it possible to use the lens for filin vidoe or just without lens? Anyone any experience of using. I'm torn between d3100 and eos500. can anyone advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ive been saving up to buy a panasonic gf1 system, and today i found out they are releasing the gf2 soon.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/

its upgraded with touchscreen, full hd and stereo sound, and is smaller, but will be packaged with different kit lenses .

i dont actually like the look of this one compared to the gf1, im wondering how it will be priced.

im also wondering how do the rest of u cope when u spend a chunk of money on a new camera and then u find out a newer version has been released?! :confused:

im so undecided now its doing my head in.

I think the cycle of new models are so quick at this stage that it is something not to worry about too much because you can rarely be up to date. I was once, for about 6 months, then a new release came out, and subsequent to that another release has come out.

If you are planning on holding onto your purchase then it makes very little odds and as soon as new version of the new version comes out, then second hand values won't make a terrible amount of difference.

Looking back on things now - well the camera I have does everything I knew about (and more besides) when I bought it (rationalising the investment made at the time) so that hasn't changed - it isn't any less valuable to me either.

My guess as to your dilemma is to have a look at the specs of the new model coming out and rationalise if it has better performance or not in desirable areas for you - if so, then wait and buy the new model; if not then still wait but when the new model comes out, but the old one and avail of what should be a natural cost reduction once the newer model has arrived on the scene.

Does anyone know if the D3100 allows auto focus for video recording? Is it possible to use the lens for filin vidoe or just without lens? Anyone any experience of using. I'm torn between d3100 and eos500. can anyone advise.

It certainly seems to be able to.
    http://news.snapsort.com/2010/09/12/nikon-d3100-autofocus-movie-sample-hd/
    No idea what you're saying in your second question.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 milkjunkie90

Hi im looking to buy a camera bag for my canon 500D dslr. Im looking for a discrete one, all i need it to hold is the camera with the kit lens attached. Ill be using it for gig photography so it will need to be small and discrete. However because im going to be using it a concerts ill need it to be durable, somewhat waterproof, and padded enough that the camera will not get damaged from a bit of knocking around. A holster style bag would be ideal.
    Budget is about 70euro but the cheaper the better!

Anyone recomend any particular one?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You didn't say where you are. If you're in Dublin then go to Gunnes and then you can try out the bag before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i have among others one of these - Urban Disguise by ThinkTank photo they do them in different sizes and are discreet enough too.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

what I would love is f2.4 and 200mm zoom canon mount.

second hand.

what are the chances?

You should have a look at adverts.ie but you're probably looking at a 70-300 f/4 - 5.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what about 70-200 f4

i was thinking f4.5. But I would like to shoot fast motorcycles at mondello. As well as all the normal landscapes , portraits and so on.

I think 4.5 may be a little slow?? Could it work?

I am going to have to save a bit longer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You might get one of these second hand. Keep an eye on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

consider a fixed 200mm lens or this one

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4663

its a Sigma APO DG 170-500 for €425

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The fixed 200 is an excellent suggestion, Canon have a very nice 200 f2.8L however the Sigma 170-500 has a max aperature of f5 decreasing to f6.3 at 500mm. This may not suit the OP who is looking for a fast lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Hi guys,

I am looking to get my first DSLR camera. I have a budget of around 500 euro or so. Will be travelling through singapore airport in January so hoping to get it there.

What are peoples opinions of both and which would you go with?

trying to decide between them but can't any help much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

what experience do you have with dSLR's?

as the truth is that both cameras will produce stunning quality images in the right hands and both will produce utter rubbish in the wrong hands. Both cameras have good and bad points as regards their design and layout but both are more than capale of producing pulitzer prizewinning photographs

for technical things:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp
    but obviously the main things that affect your photo is your skills, your eye and the lens you choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

DotOrg is absolutely right. I went through the same decision process early
    this year. I bought the Canon 500D in the end. My friend bought the Nikon
    D5000 at the same time. Both cameras are excellent and both of us are
    happy with the choice we made.

Read the reviews. If possible, go to a camera shop and handle both
    cameras. Also have a look at the Pentax K-x which uses the same
    Sony sensor as the D5000. The Canon has the best range of new
    and used lenses. Nikon also have an extensive range, but some
    of them won't work properly on the lower end Nikon bodies.

As this is your first DSLR, I should warn you that buying
    the camera body is just the initial outlay. All the other
    stuff will end up costing more than you paid for the
    camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

thanks for the comments guys. I have no experience with DSLR cameras at all. I have always been interested in getting good images but previously have only owned a good quality digital camera. I gave a family member a loan of this recently and they lost it, so it seemed like the right time to make the move.

I understand what you are saying about wrong pictures in the wrong hands, however I love messing around with all types of technology and am willing to research, practice etc with getting great images from DSLR cameras :D

So basically either will do a stunning job?

also, hbr when you say "All the other
    camera." I presume you are talking about extra lenses and flashes etc when you become more advances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

sonic.trip wrote: »
    So basically either will do a stunning job?

and either will do a **** job. it's all about composition, use of light, storytelling. good photography is virtually nothing to do with which camera you use
    sonic.trip wrote: »
    All the other
    camera." I presume you are talking about extra lenses and flashes
    yes, lenses that let more light in and let you shoot in a wider variety of styles are more expensive. Also, camera bodies you generally replace far more often than you replace lenses. I've owned certain canon lenses for about 6-7 years, in that time i've gone through 4 different camera bodies

if a lens has Macro in its title somewhere, can it still be used for getting close up to say , a football player from the sidelines?

Yes, the Macro tag just means that it also has a short working distance. Just check online for other factors such as focusing performance that may affect sports more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raphael Mc Enroe

I would like to get a camera that has good quality video and pictures with a flash,basically for going on holidays and going out and such,nothing to pricey,like 50-150. Or would there be a place that sells them used. Basically a name of a decent camera,and i dont know the difference in a standard and digital camera or effects. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cian_s_obrien

I hope to get one of the lowepro backpack for christmas. Got a Canon 55-250mm yesterday for my birthday, so need to upgrade to camera bag.
    Good prices and cheap p&p
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Lowepro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have a look on www.adverts.ie for a bargain

Any of the big names like Canon/Nikon/Sony are grand with lots of different features
    Some of the new Sony point and shoots cameras come with a feature called sweep panorama which is really good for getting an overall view of where you are in one shot

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm looking to get the ball and chain a DSLR, looking for something entry level and reasonably priced. She is by no means a photographer so the plan is to get her something decent for a starter.

The 2 i've been looking at are the Sony A290 and the Canon EOS 1000D. Both seem like they would do the job and evenly priced.
    I'm swinging in favour of the Sony as she has used one before and liked it, it's lighter, has more megapixels and a bigger screen.
    But i believe the Canon has more features?

Would it also be worth going for the a390 instead of the a290?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm looking to get the ball and chain a DSLR, looking for something entry level and reasonably priced. She is by no means a photographer so the plan is to get her something decent for a starter.

The 2 i've been looking at are the Sony A290 and the Canon EOS 1000D. Both seem like they would do the job and evenly priced.
    I'm swinging in favour of the Sony as she has used one before and liked it, it's lighter, has more megapixels and a bigger screen.

Have a read back over the previous posts on this thread. The which manufacturer is trashed out again and again.

In terms of which is better - they are all very capable cameras more than enough for someone starting. Throw them into the DPReview comparison generator - yes, throw all three in there, to see the specific features that one has over the other. There's not a significant difference to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Boom_Bap wrote: »

A few bits-
    • if you're buying locally ask them can she return it and get different brand if she wants?
    • Sony are doing 'VAT' off deal at the moment.
    • I don't know if cameras come down in price a lot after Xmas but maybe give her a card with homemade voucher (instead of cash in the envelope) so she can buy which one she wants in the sales.
    • if buying from abroad and know anyone in the States Black Friday is this Friday. Big reductions.
    • Not romantic (again) but look at adverts.ie etc for 2nd hand stuff. Get a lot more bang for your buck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement