Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I bet the thread title tricked you into thinking this was something more than an elaborate "what camera should I buy" thread. Suckers.

Here's my situation: I currently have a rather battered Nikon D70S. I love it, it's been around the world with me, but I need an upgrade.

First of all, I should note that I'm a film student so movies are important to me. I know this will not usually be a concern for most users but it is relevant for me. I'm a photographer too though.

So, the two cameras that I've been looking at recently are the Nikon D7000 and the Sony A33.

Nikon D7000 (about 1000 euro from the US)
    Pros: Apparently better than the return of Jesus as sub 8k cameras go. Can keeping using my lenses.
    Cons: Autofocus in movies is terrible. Kind of pricey (hitting my absolute limit)

Sony A33 (about 600 euro from the US)
    Pros: Magnificent autofocus for movies (and everything else). Fairly inexpensive. Nifty fold-out LCD. High fps for continuous shooting?
    Cons: Must buy new lenses. Electronic viewfinder (I'm not nearly as upset by this as most people seem to be). Overall not as solid a camera.

I only have two lenses worth talking about, a nifty Sigma 17-70 and a rather cheapo sigma 70-300mm. For the same price as a D7000 I could get the Sony A33 and a 30mm prime and an 18-250mm (both of which are considered pretty damn good for their price).

I'm so torn. On one hand I love the idea of having a shiney new D7000 in my hands and go from out of date to top class prosumer camera, but then I'd just be sticking my old glass on it. Where as I also love the idea of a nifty new Sony SLT and two new (better) lenses to go with it.

Please help me choose. Also I don't really know anything about Canon models so if someone has any suggestions in the price range I've discussed that'd be nice.

I would really like if people with the following opinions did not contribute:
    - "Haha, Sony? Only an idiot ever considers something other than Nikon or Canon".
    - "EVF? I whould gouge out my own eyes before using an EVF you peasant!"

Right now I'm thinking the wise thing to do would be to get the D7000, put up with the glass I have and hope to get more later. But still the Sony and its fancy pants new translucent technology keeps dragging me in.

This turned into a bigger post than I expected. Contrary to the thread title, please feel free to allow this to grow into a general discussion on the merits of the A33/55.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ex-Sony user here, my first ever dslr was an A200. And I loved it. But it took one light knock onto grass and the sensor shifted out of place and the SSS function ceased to ... function.

Much as I liked the camera itself pre-fall, I hated Sony lenses. Their kit lens is terrible to be frank, and I really just don't like the build quality of any of their own-name offerings. They feel cheap and flimsy towards other brand basic lenses. I also tried a couple of Sigma lenses with it and one of those busted after only a few weeks [I bought it used, but in mint condition] - That was a 70-300 APO w/macro. The motor in camera busted the AF gears in the lens, after looking it up I found this was a common issue with that lens and Sony dslrs.

I did however fall in love with an old Minolta 50mm f/1.7, I really hated having to sell it, but I had to move on. If you do go Sony, get this lens! They can be got for about €100, all steel construction, excellent quality glass, you won't regret it.

I'd consider lens options for the future before going Sony though. Excellent as their newer model cameras look, sticking those plasticky, not-so-great-on-the-IQ-front lenses on it will have it's cons for sure.

I've since went Nikon, albeit an old D200, but I love it more than I ever loved the old Sony [I know I didn't have the best model but it was on a par with say, the Nikon D60 at least]

The Nikon lenses seem to me to have better IQ, I think my images have benefited at least since, they're certainly better built. The D7000 has the in-built AF motor right? Plenty of scope there for seeking out old, decent lenses.

It's also weather sealed titanium, tough as the D200/300/300s/700 just in a tighter little body.

On the EF front ... eurgh, but you knew someone would say that. Once you go optical, you can't go back I think. All the fancy mirror illusions in the world can't compete with proper optical visual.

You probably won't b sorry with either choice, but bear the lens options in mind for the future. You might be happy for now with what you can afford to start with, but at some point you just know you will want bigger and better glass.

See if you can hunt down a used Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. On the sigma you're only getting f/4.5 at the widest on the 50mm end.

I did, and more than happy with it. My 50mm f/1.8 has barely got a look in since, as the difference between 1.8 and 2.8 is not that great that it can't be easily adjusted in processing or by simply upping your ISO by a step or two. I know I'd rather have the wide to mid zoom option at a constant aperture than trying to shoot all your gig shots at f/1.8, just because the option is there. You'll find many shots lack the DOF you want, to cover a whole stage for example. Sometimes higher ISO is the better option. What camera?

I've been looking into other Nikon options. The D3100 looks like a great lower cost choice except that it has no bloody motor in camera, and that sounds like a total headache.

Again leaning towards just shelling out for the D7000...
    The D7000 has the in-built AF motor right? Plenty of scope there for seeking out old, decent lenses.

It has pretty much everything apparently: "The Nikon D7000 has technical performance better than every other Nikon DSLR priced under $7,500, and handles better than any Nikon DSLR, regardless of price."

Ken Rockwell is in love with the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

You're a film student and you want autofocus in video mode?

You also seem to have completely missed the "what camera should I buy" sticky.

• Advertisement

charybdis wrote: »
    You're a film student and you want autofocus in video mode?

There's more than one kind of film.
    You also seem to have completely missed the "what camera should I buy" sticky.

They had a discussion about the merits of the new translucent mirror system used in the new range of Sony alphas and how it compares to the latest Nikon DSLR range? God, I don't know how I missed that, it must have gotten mixed up in a dozen pages of waffle about point and shoots or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi all,

I know nothing about camera's, Im looking to buy my girlfriend a point and shoot camera, something she can put in her handbag.
    my budget is around the 300 mark.
    Anyone suggest something decent?

Cheers,
    Jay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,875 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd plump for the 35mm - the f1.8 will not only give you more light, it'll give you more control over depth of field.

charybiddy just wishes he was a mod :D

In the latest edition of Practical photography they give the a55 9/10 and praise the EVF as one of the best they've ever used. They say similar about it's HD video capabilities.

Just to make your decision a little tougher :P

Wouldn't argue with that option either, so long as you reckon you will actually make use of the 1.8 aperture, otherwise you're losing the ability to zoom with a constant aperture just to have a prime.

I got my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for €230 in great condition. That is a fantastic price, not much more than the 35mm new. It really comes down to how you shoot I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi Jay,
    there is a pretty good selection of P&S cameras out there, in that price bracket. It is probably worth doing a little research.

- Do you want manual functions, or a camera that you just turn on & press the button to shoot?

- Would you prefer if the camera was rugged/waterproof?

- What kind of photos will it be used for?

If you are getting a camera then I would also recommend allowing about eu50 - eu75 of your budget for a small pouch/case, spare battery & a memory card. She may need a memory card reader for her PC as well.

Good brands include Canon, Nikon,sony, olympus, or Panasonic, but there are no really 'bad' brands out there that I know of.

Some gotchas to look out for: Many compact cameras have a delay between pressing the shutter button & actually taking the shot. This can be really annoying. Worth reading reviews and/or trying one out in the shop before you buy.
    Also, some can be hard enough on batteries, though they have improved.

Also check dpreview.com - they do pretty good reviews & ratings there.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

The missus was looking for a compact camera for Christmas that could take decent photos with particular focus on night photography and general image sharpness.
    I had a budget of around €300ish so I went looking online with reviews and using the Argos catalogue as a price reference etc.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short - I got her the Samsung WB600 in Argos for about €170 bucks (It's on offer but that offer is nearly over) and I'm VERY impressed with the quality of it (This is coming from a DSLR user).

Reviews on the websites are all positive. Link.

Here's my take on it.
    • Manual Controls (Aperture and Shutter Speeds can be set) so night shots and sports shots can be taken control of.
    • ISO can be set manually although reviews say that noise creeps in at 800 but tbh it's very unnoticeable.
    • 15x Optical zoom with no softness on the 15x end.
    • Fairly sharp images with great colour.
    • Camera is chunky but feels solid and the black version looks very sleek.
    • It's fast to start up and shoot.
    • Screen is big and sharp on the back.
    • Metering and exposure compensation options are available.
    • Loads of built-in scenes and filters to keep her amused!
    • HD video recording - Take that with a pinch of salt though!
    • The reviews say the zooming motor is loud but I honestly would dispute that - it's really not that bad.
    • Loads of options of AF available and a great image stabilisation on offer.
    • Full Specs.

Now I may go charge the battery again so it looks like I didn't play with it for hours :o

Hopefully this helps someone pick out a compact cam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Hi Folks

Can I get some advice. I'm looking at buying a Nikon 70-300 lens

& dont know which to go for eg

Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR @ €381 in Pixmania
    Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm - F/4-5.6 G @ €189 in Pixmania
    Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED Lens @ €531 in Pixmania

Camera World also have a 70-300 lens for around €520. I must check
    what lettering they have

Also can someone explain what "DX, ED & IF" means on a lens

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Zillah wrote: »
    There's more than one kind of film.

I'm not aware of any films that used autofocus cameras for production, or at least not any ones using a camera with a sensor any bigger than a fingernail.
    Zillah wrote: »
    They had a discussion about the merits of the new translucent mirror system used in the new range of Sony alphas and how it compares to the latest Nikon DSLR range? God, I don't know how I missed that, it must have gotten mixed up in a dozen pages of waffle about point and shoots or something.

LMGTFY.
    charybiddy just wishes he was a mod :D

How very drole. I don't particularly want to be a mod, I'd just like it if people put their hold-my-hand-while-I-think-about-buying-a-camera posts in the sticky for the expressed purpose of camera-buying hand-holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Frodo_Baggins

Hi all,

I've been offered the chance to buy a Canon 450D, off a friend, with very little use.

The thing is... I'm finding it very hard to find this camera on any online shops to either check the price for a new one or check out it's specifications. I'm presuming that Canon have realised a different/new entry level model to replace the 450D. If this is the case, which one is similar in spec - the 550D or the 1000D.

And finally, is the 450D a good option for a beginner? Or is the fact that it's now not for sale gonna be an issue for servicing/buying accessories?

Sorry in advance for any stupid-sounding questions, total newbie/beginner here.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

It's an older model.. but if it's cheap ENOUGH and/or comes with enough lenses etc.. it could be worth your while. It will be lacking a lot of nice features that newer models would probably have. (like recording video and live preview etc..)

The 550D is probably a close analogue to it, although I haven't kept up on Canon models & features in a few years.

If you were to get one of these, with some lenses.. the lenses should be able to move forward with you if you get a newer model. If it's just the stock 18-55mm lens.. don't bother considering it's existence separate from the camera body itself. (The stock Canon 18-55 isn't a great lens.)

guideline price-wise.. if it's more than 3-4 years old.. then *well* under 1/2 of what a new similar model would cost is about the max I'd spend on it. (although I'd be more forgiving if there was some good glass to be had with the deal.)

Heebie,

That's a great help, thanks a million!

In terms of cost, it's going for €450 with (as you thought) the stock Canon 18-55mm lense. It's about 1.5-2 years old.

My main dilemma is... The 550D is over my budget, at a very tight stretch I'd be able to get the basic model with 18-55mm lense. But defintely not enough of a budget to buy an additional lense. The 1000D would be in my budget alright but doesn't seem to have as good specifications as the 450D.

So, I'm thinking would the 450D be good enough for that price. Which would then allow me to buy another lense as well.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Amazon.co.uk has them used from £339, and new from £444.99, for the 18-55mm lens kit. I don't think I'd be interested in it at €450 used with no warranty when I could spend just a little more to get one new with a warranty. This is actually a couple of model years newer than I'd thought it was.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B00131W8IW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291146073&sr=8-1

If you're not already invested in glass, you should also make sure you compare against Nikon Pentax and even Sony. (although I friggen' HATE that Sony is making cameras.. same goes for Panasonic..although I actually have a Lumix point & shoot.. so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Heebie,

That's a great help, thanks a million!

In terms of cost, it's going for €450 with (as you thought) the stock Canon 18-55mm lense. It's about 1.5-2 years old.

My main dilemma is... The 550D is over my budget, at a very tight stretch I'd be able to get the basic model with 18-55mm lense. But defintely not enough of a budget to buy an additional lense. The 1000D would be in my budget alright but doesn't seem to have as good specifications as the 450D.

So, I'm thinking would the 450D be good enough for that price. Which would then allow me to buy another lense as well.

Thanks again!
    have a look at the link.

I was having the same dilemma but went the other way.

I started practicing photography in the last couple of months and choose the 1000d over the 450d.

First was the price. I could get a new camera with a warranty and free lesson from canon for the same price as a used 450d with no warranty .

The spec on the 2 is very similar and as a beginner, its doubtful the differences will be noticeable.
    My friend has a 450d and the only difference we noticed was a slightly bigger LCD screen and handle.
    It has the same sensor and software

http://www.photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/canon-1000d/xs-vs.-450d/xsi-quick-comparison.html

gsxr1 wrote: »

I have to admit, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the 2 models. Thanks for that link! What is different is all double-Dutch to me so for the near future I can't see this being an issue.

I'll start looking into the best deals out there now. I prefer to buy from shops, I'm old-fashioned I guess. And I wouldn't mind a 2nd lense so I'm sure there'll be deals out there.

Thanks again lads, advice was invaluable.

• Advertisement

I have to admit, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the 2 models. Thanks for that link! What is different is all double-Dutch to me so for the near future I can't see this being an issue.

I'll start looking into the best deals out there now. I prefer to buy from shops, I'm old-fashioned I guess. And I wouldn't mind a 2nd lense so I'm sure there'll be deals out there.

Well if you like shops then get up north to Jessops.

They have a 369 pound deal on the 1000d with 18-55 IS lens.

The deals down here in the big stores are with the regular no Image Stabilizer lens.

Practical Photography Mag have voted the 550d as the best entry level cam. If ye have deep enough pockets that is:)

PS. prepare your self to want more . I just bought a brand new sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which was worth a lot more than my camera. The wife does not know yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Would anyone happen to know what would be the cheapest entry level Digital SLR? Could even buy it without lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 imwatchingyou

Hi everyone,
    can someone help me please,i want to buy an slr digital camera,but i don't know what kind of camera would be good for a beginner, i was thinking of buying Fuji Finepix S1800 but i changed my mind when i knew that you had to use AA batteries,it also looked really small and didn't feel like a slr camera,and also when you zoom in and out you do it using buttons on the camera,im looking for one that you could zoom in and out by rotating the lens which would make it much easier and better taking photos.

could someone recommend a good camera for me please, also if you could recommend a good website for buying a second hand camera, i could pay up to €250

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Fuji camera is a bridge camera, not an slr. €250 would be a stretch to get any model but you might be lucky. You can check out www.adverts.ie for second hand models. Dont worry about AA batteries as these are easy enough to get in rechargeables. Some of the more expensive bridge cameras can zoom using the lens

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Hi guys,
    my brother is looking to purchase a DSLR over the next few weeks and has asked me to do some research...
    Basically an entry level SLR, ideally bundled with a second lens.

I've some photography experience from a multimedia course i'm doing right now. We have Canon 350Ds availabe in college. I'm very impressed with their capabilities, so from the off i'd be looking at the Canon EOS 1000D, or the 450D as these seem to be the newer equivalents of the 350Ds.

The choice is really a 450D with one lens, usually 18-55, or a 1000D with two lens's, which seems a nice option giving two lenses from the start. Pixmania have a really good deal on a Canon EOS 1000D + EF 18-55 mm Lens + EF 75-300 mm Lens for €540. This seems hard to beat!
    Amazon have a 450D with the kit lens only for €557

Can anyone justify the 450 over the 1000?
    And what about offerings from other companies? I'm kinda bias towards Canon as i've been using them for college work:)
    I know nothing about other brands of SLRs, but am keeping an open mind to any xmas deals coming up over the next few weeks, be it Pentax, Nikon or whatever
    He says max €600

All i have to do is finish this course, get a job and hopefully it'l be me buying one next year!!
    Any help much appreciated :D

Hi guys,
    my brother is looking to purchase a DSLR over the next few weeks and has asked me to do some research...
    Basically an entry level SLR, ideally bundled with a second lens.

I've some photography experience from a multimedia course i'm doing right now. We have Canon 350Ds availabe in college. I'm very impressed with their capabilities, so from the off i'd be looking at the Canon EOS 1000D, or the 450D as these seem to be the newer equivalents of the 350Ds.

The choice is really a 450D with one lens, usually 18-55, or a 1000D with two lens's, which seems a nice option giving two lenses from the start. Pixmania have a really good deal on a Canon EOS 1000D + EF 18-55 mm Lens + EF 75-300 mm Lens for €540. This seems hard to beat!
    Amazon have a 450D with the kit lens only for €557

Can anyone justify the 450 over the 1000?
    And what about offerings from other companies? I'm kinda bias towards Canon as i've been using them for college work:)
    I know nothing about other brands of SLRs, but am keeping an open mind to any xmas deals coming up over the next few weeks, be it Pentax, Nikon or whatever
    He says max €600

All i have to do is finish this course, get a job and hopefully it'l be me buying one next year!!
    Any help much appreciated :D

i think if you simply read the same page you posted on, you will find your answer;)
    best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I've read the whole thread! And took on board the advice given to others:D

I was just putting it out there to ask for advice on my exact situation. The xmas deals are on now and a 450D may pop up at a very good price...
    can anyone comment on the zoom lens coming with this deal?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3230692/art/canon/eos-1000d-ef-18-55-mm-len.html
    One thing I like is the macro switch on the zoom lens's we use in college, does the above lens have a macro function?

And what about the other brands entry level DSLRs? online reviews are mixed across the board (even for the Canon's)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hey guys im looking to buy a nice camera from between 100-150, as im completely ignorant when it comes to cameras id appreciate any help you guys could give me :) id preferably want to buy from a e-store that has quick delivery times as its going to be an xmas present

Savage Cabbages,

I think gsxr1 meant the link he posted in relation to a similar question I asked. Up the top of the page...

http://www.photolectic.com/reviews/d...omparison.html

I was pretty much the same, indecisive between the 450D and the 1000D. I found the link great for comparing these 2 models. And I, personally, am gonna go with the 1000D model as it gives me extra money to spend on a 2nd lense.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks again gsxr1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

If you are a bit experienced, you can see the remarkable differences not the technical details only.

1., 9 point AF vs 7 very remarkable as well as dedicated AF chip.

2.,Next is not for every day situations, but I suppose also huge difference in continuous shooting speed. At 450D is same at RAW as well as JPEG vs 1000d have different speed for them 3fps and 1.5fps at RAW. If you want to make so good picture as possible, you never will be use JPEG mode, just only RAW.

3.,Spot metering at 450D vs partial with 9% at 1000d also big difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement