Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Hi all,

I've been quietly following all things photography on Boards for a good while now but this is my first post here in the photography forum. So...I'm new to photography. I've always been interested but never had the time/money to invest in anything more than a simple digital camera. But now, it's just not cutting it. I want to be able to better capture what I see and I want to make the big step and venture into the world of DSLR's. I'm looking for advice on a good starter camera for an amateur. I can only really afford €500 max at the minute but if possible I'd like something that I can add to in a few years (when I'm in a better financial position) if I get really into it.

ATM I'm thinking Canon EOS 1000D. It seems affordable and the reviews I've read look promising.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Or would anyone recommend another camera?

Thanks in advance,
    NM
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭leche solara

If you can afford it try and get the Canon 450D which is a good bit better than the 1000D. By the way you should post this in the general photography forum rather than in the pix.ie forum. Why'll you're here you should join up with pix.ie, and see some of the photographs there. Its free to join, and a good community.

sony a200

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Thanks to Mod for moving my post, I was wondering how I would go about doing it/if I could do it myself....I'm a wee bit blind or I would have noticed this thread was here already! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ATM I'm thinking Canon EOS 1000D. It seems affordable and the reviews I've read look promising.

This. Yes.
    If you can afford it try and get the Canon 450D which is a good bit better than the 1000D.

This. Yes.
    glasso wrote: »
    sony a200

This. Yes.

Sorry, but you won't get a definitive answer. Put the Pentax k-x, the Olympus, the Nikon and it's yes to them all :)

Nikon and Canon will be the more popular / better marketed / better local support - whether that matters or not is another thing. As you'll probably see a lens or flash in a local store, tease them on the price of it, and then buy in hong kong for a good deal cheaper hoping that you'll not get caught for the import tax (which more than likely you will) and then you are left with something not that far off what you'd have paid in the local store anyway. For example, my Pentax stuff comes from all over the world. I have little choice in terms of local bricks and mortar. To me it doesn't matter. I shop globally taking all normal precautions. eBay can be your friend but do take the normal precautions.

One other thought. Keep an eye on adverts for second hand gear - you'll end up with a little more bang for your buck as they say. Photography gear generally will be kept in pristine condition (most photographers get emotionally attached to their gear and look after it like their baby) so you have little worries in buying somewhere locally when you can organise a meet up through adverts.

Have fun along your photographic journey - it can be entirely frustration and deliciously rewarding -- both at the same time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Heyup.
    Have previously owned Canon 400D, 500D and 5D MkII. Earlier this year I found I wasn't using them at all, instead I was shooting 99% of the time film (35mm & MF) - so I sold up.

Now with baby #2 in the house, the amount of time I can spend developing / scanning photos etc has greatly diminished, so here I am.

I'm looking at the new D3100, the 550D primarily. I will definitely use the video modes - in fact the mic input of the 550D is a plus for me (though not a deal breaker).

I would love anyone's thoughts on these two. Will be photographing kids, family stuff, general life (who knows). Videos.

Also if anyone had any thoughts on other options I should consider. I haven't quite gotten my head around all the micro 4/3 cameras and the Nexs etc. I have concerns over autofocus speed (my 2yr old is a dynamo).

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Hi all,

Could you recommend me a good, fairly priced camera that would be suitable for Website photographs (300-500euro mark)?

Ive been using a standard run of the mill 10mp 100euro camera and its just not doing the job.

I want something that can deal with glare on shop windows etc.

I don't feel I need a top end camera as at the end of the day these photos will be compressed and sized down.

Also am I way off thinking ill get a camera suitable for job in the 300-500 bracket?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Do you definitely need to take the photos yourself? If not you could use a microstock agency such as fotolia.com, 500 euro would get you a lot of images.

If you need to take the pics yourself, just make sure to get a polarizing filter for whatever camera you get, as this will help reduce reflected glare in windows.

Why not look at a second hand dSLR which would shoot at around 6mp, this would be more than adequate for your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Do you definitely need to take the photos yourself? If not you could use a microstock agency such as fotolia.com, 500 euro would get you a lot of images.

The camera would be used for taking photographs of interiors, shop fronts, products etc. of any future sites I may be involved in so stock photos are not really what I'm looking for.

How does this look?:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2981505/art/sony/alpha-dslr-a230l-18-55mm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Probably grand for what you want, get that, a tripod and a circular pol and you're in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hi all,

Could you recommend me a good, fairly priced camera that would be suitable for Website photographs (300-500euro mark)?

Ive been using a standard run of the mill 10mp 100euro camera and its just not doing the job.

I want something that can deal with glare on shop windows etc.

I don't feel I need a top end camera as at the end of the day these photos will be compressed and sized down.

Also am I way off thinking ill get a camera suitable for job in the 300-500 bracket?

Cheers!

sometimes its not the camera that needs changing - its the photographer (no offence)

if you want a professional looking job - hire a professional, if you want to cut corners - you will get pics that don't quite look professional.

interiors ...shop fronts ...products .... off the top of my head I'm thinking a couple of different lenses and flash/lighting setups, .... there are plenty of people out there willing to work for cheap/free if you want to exploit them and maybe offer some products in return or 30% discount in the shop....this might also work for professionals - if you cant afford to pay the full price, some professionals are offering payment plans for clients who need pics but cant afford the full price up front.

just getting a newer/better camera may not improve your photographs - do you know about apertures/shutter speeds, ISO's ....and their relationship to each other ?

Have a look at Flickr and ask someone there if they are interested in doing a job for you ... X amount of money ...who knows you might get lucky ? there might be someone on Boards who might be interested in doing the job....theres plenty of us capable !!

EDIT: If I'm available I'd consider it (I work a lot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I usually refuse this type of work. There is far too much setting up to get a clear shot. Your camera is not the most important thing for this type of photography.

I used to do fine art reproductions 6'x6' under glass and it was a chore in a gallery, let alone trying it on a 10'x12' or even bigger panel in the public street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GarTss

just wondering if anybody on her would be able to help me out her, I currently have a Fujifilm S1730 which although is classed as a compact camera but it may aswell be a low priced DSLR but I've decided I wanna add to my equiptment and am thinking of buying a Canon, would anyone be able to suggest a really good Canon within the 300-400 price range ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

OP depending on the value of the products you are selling you might have to look at paying for good quality images, it depends on what you competitiors are doing.

The sony alpha is supposed to be good camera as another poster said try using a polarising filter to cut down on glare, also consider taking the photo at a different time of the day. join a photography club and learn how to use the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

My girlfriend is doing a plc photography course in st. kevins college in crumlin.
    im just wondering what DSLR can i get for about 400-500 euro that will do her for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

im just wondering what DSLR can i get for about 400-500 euro that will do her for the course.

They usually teach with film, developing and print making. I'd check with the college to see what course materials are needed.

Otherwise a basic Canon 550D with standard lens and the 50mm ƒ1.8 [Nifty Fifty]. New, the price is quite a bit over your budget, even the more basic 1000D [not recommended] will still max your budget for too little IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hi all,

I have a Canon 350D for the last year and half and I love it. Now I’m looking to upgrade to a newer model. The reasons are that I find it slow and notice clarity / noise issue when editing in Light room. Maybe it’s because I’m using the standard lens that came with it...but maybe also because I’ve seen the results of a 5D MK II a friend has. WOW :eek:

Photography has become a new hobby an although I do not use the camera every week I do alot at family occasions, holidays and the odd walk but now and I’m looking also shooting landscapes, portraits, social events and maybe the odd football match! People who know me now are half expecting that I’ll be bringing the camera along :) but I’m finding my 350D now inadequate!

I’ve been looking at Lens I’ve chosen the 24-105 as it’s a great all rounder and has had amazing reviews.

The problem I am having is choosing a camera body. I was thinking of buying the 5D Mk II but this would be way to overkill for what want to use it for as a hobbyist I’m not planning on making a living from it. Plus it’s about €2000...:eek:

I've narrowed it down to three cameras: All Cannon EOS's:

550D (€700)
    60D (€1050)
    7D (€1300)

From what I can tell the only major difference is in the price! They all have the same image processor but the 7d has two of them. Unless I can be convinced otherwise the 550D and the 24-105 lens would be my best choice.

I would appreciate anyone’s input on this!

I have not looked at Nikon because I’m not familiar with these and as I have a Canon already which I’m pretty happy with and kind of used to its features which I believe are pretty standard so that’s the main reason Im sticking with Canon but Id also appreciate anyone’s thought on Nikon as I’ve a very open mind and might start looking at these as an alternative but I know nothing at all about Nikon! now that I think of it I’ve actually sent Canon customer service an email and they never got back to me, considering that Im planning on spending a lot of money with them its not a good start.

Any input and help here would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a very confused hobbyist :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you can afford the Canon 7D then thats the one to go for. Otherwise the 550D and 60D are fine pieces of equipment also.
    I am a Nikon user.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    If you can afford the Canon 7D then thats the one to go for. Otherwise the 550D and 60D are fine pieces of equipment also.
    I am a Nikon user.

Not exactly very helpful but thanks anyway :)

Cableguy wrote: »
    Not exactly very helpful but thanks anyway :)
    As you said in your earlier post you had narrowed your choice to those 3 Canon cameras, so no doubt you had done some research. I advised you to go for the 7D if you could afford it. Was that not helpful at all. Apologies from me, but I feel the 7D is the best of the cameras you mentioned and I feel most people would plump for the 7D over the other 2 if price was not an issue.
    Good luck with whichever you decide as they are all great cameras.

ps. In a post on the 3rd. Oct. you mentioned you were thinking of buying a 7D in the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I would always say to get a Nikon :D but seeing as your sticking with Canon get the 7D. Friend of mine has it and is in love with it. Great quality. 5D mkII would be better but its always about the budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Pick up a second hand camera like the 30D or 40D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Hello Folks,

Maybe in the wrong place, forgive me if I am. I am a hobbyist photographer looking to do a photography course, and pursue it as a career. I work in a photo shop full time, so would only be able to do evening classes. I am based in the Cork area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or a pointer in the right direction please.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭FREDNISMO

just wondering would you recomend the fuji HS10, what about the olympus SP800, cant make my mind up but want to buy one of them before Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This probably should have been it's own thread.

In any case.. if you're working in a lab, you probably have some professional photographers getting their work done there. (If the lab techs are good at what they do.)

If this is the case, and there are photographers coming to the lab who's work impresses you.. ask them if you can help them with some shoots sometime, so you can see how they operate. Their shoots will probably be on weekends, and the photolab you work in is probably not open Sundays, so you could easily do some Sunday shoots with them and learn a lot from them.

If you want to take some photography classes, go for it.. but there is no substitute for getting pointers directly from people who's work makes you want to do work as good as theirs. :)
    adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

Maybe in the wrong place, forgive me if I am. I am a hobbyist photographer looking to do a photography course, and pursue it as a career. I work in a photo shop full time, so would only be able to do evening classes. I am based in the Cork area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or a pointer in the right direction please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Thanks for the prompt response. Am looking to get into the wedding and studio work. And I would like to get a piece of paper, just to have a course behind me. I understand that there is nothing like the hands on stuff with the experts and I will definately try and get a tag along with one of them. If anyone could point me in the right direction of a good course that would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Hi all,

I have a Canon 350D for the last year and half and I love it. Now I’m looking to upgrade to a newer model. The reasons are that I find it slow and notice clarity / noise issue when editing in Light room. Maybe it’s because I’m using the standard lens that came with it...but maybe also because I’ve seen the results of a 5D MK II a friend has. WOW :eek:

Photography has become a new hobby an although I do not use the camera every week I do alot at family occasions, holidays and the odd walk but now and I’m looking also shooting landscapes, portraits, social events and maybe the odd football match! People who know me now are half expecting that I’ll be bringing the camera along :) but I’m finding my 350D now inadequate!

I’ve been looking at Lens I’ve chosen the 24-105 as it’s a great all rounder and has had amazing reviews.

The problem I am having is choosing a camera body. I was thinking of buying the 5D Mk II but this would be way to overkill for what want to use it for as a hobbyist I’m not planning on making a living from it. Plus it’s about €2000...:eek:

550D (€700)
    60D (€1050)
    7D (€1300)

From what I can tell the only major difference is in the price! They all have the same image processor but the 7d has two of them. Unless I can be convinced otherwise the 550D and the 24-105 lens would be my best choice.

I have not looked at Nikon because I’m not familiar with these and as I have a Canon already which I’m pretty happy with and kind of used to its features which I believe are pretty standard so that’s the main reason Im sticking with Canon but Id also appreciate anyone’s thought on Nikon as I’ve a very open mind and might start looking at these as an alternative but I know nothing at all about Nikon! now that I think of it I’ve actually sent Canon customer service an email and they never got back to me, considering that Im planning on spending a lot of money with them its not a good start.

Well, I think for an advanced amateur really enough a 20D or 30D. If you stick to the newest models, then 7D. If you have tight budget, don't think about any full frame camera - like 5D -, 'cos they need different -it's mean better and expensiver- lens than an APS-C, and I guess you have to change all of your lens down what you have at the moment (all model what we talking above, they have APS-C size image sensor).

A really big difference between Canon and Nikon the image sensor type. Each have pro and cons. Canon use CMOS, that great in high ISO without remarkable noise. Nikon use CCD that really great if you have to save informations about dark/shade area by post processing in Lightroom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi all,

550D (€700)
    60D (€1050)
    7D (€1300)

As a recent upgrader from the 350D to the 7D I would recommend the 7D without hesitation. Unlike the xxxD and xxDs the 7D has pretty much the same pentaprisim viewfinder as the 5D. Its much, much, bigger and brighter. I can't use my 350D now without noticing how pokey and dark the VF is. The 550D and 60D share this pentamirror limited coverage VF.

Also the 7D has a transmissive LCD in it's VF which is excellent.

I would go to a shop and try all them out. You will notice the step up in quality of the 7D. Also iirc the 60D now has a plastic body like the 550D, but the 7D has the same magnesium alloy material used in the 5D and 1D.

Give Ian Kerr (Flash Camera on ebay) a shout and ask him for a quote outside ebay, He does very good prices on the 7D, I think I paid about €1100 at the time. I'll have to check my emails. He can also sort you out with the 24-105,

EDIT: £1100 GBP when the exchange rate was close to 1:1.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-EOS-7D-BODY-IN-SCOTLAND-/390257163548?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item5add23bd1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

My girlfriend is doing a plc photography course in st. kevins college in crumlin.

Just look around, and you can buy a good entry professional level 20D for 299eur http://www.denismacsweeny.com/store/category/9/52/Digital-SLR/
    There ad as body only, but if I remember right it's have a kit lens or grip with them for this price. Or try to catch on adverts.ie one for bargain price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement