Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I can't afford any more tax increases ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Echospace wrote: »
    I think it's crazy and completely backwards that the people actually contributing money into the country's finances through PAYE (I presume you are both private sector workers), are struggling. And yet the social welfare class who contribute nothing, but extract money from the country, are fine.
    They're "fine"? How do you know that?
    The public/civil service, who are still being paid 28% higher than the average private industrial wage, and who also contribute nothing towards the country's finances (and the concept of public sector "tax" is laughable) are protected by union agreements.
    Depends what they're doing, where in the public sector they're working. An administrator, for instance, could stand to earn far less than a counterpart of theirs in the private sector. My father was an engineer with the council - had he worked in the private sector he would have been on WAY more than he earned with the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

op, do you ever go to the pub? do you spend any money on hobbies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Slydice wrote: »
    op, do you ever go to the pub? do you spend any money on hobbies?

Nope, maybe once a month if I'm honest.
    I have a few cans & a bottle of wine max a week.
    I gave up the smokes ages ago cause I couldn't afford them.
    I used to play golf but gave that up once the kids arrived.

My wife & kids but mainly my wife are costing me a fortune.
    I think I need to take full control of the purse strings.
    It's wallet strings from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Nope, maybe once a month if I'm honest.
    I have a few cans & a bottle of wine max a week.
    I gave up the smokes ages ago cause I couldn't afford them.
    I used to play golf but gave that up once the kids arrived.

Great, 6 months time you'll be on here looking for relationship advice. Btw, have you looked at the health insurance package you have with regard to what it covers in relation to most likely need, with regard to your own age and your soon to be ex wifes ( if ya keep going the way you're posting on here ) age as well as most likely need in childrens cover to see if any savings can be made there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Uh, you're not going to say it like that to her though are you?? because I can tell you now that's not going to go down well if you take that line with the missus.
    If she's working she's entitled to spend her own money as she wants-while still contributing her fair share to the household of course.

I'd be well p*ssed off if my partner told me he was "taking full control of the purse strings"...after I stopped laughing that is :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Greentopia wrote: »
    Uh, you're not going to say it like that to her though are you?? because I can tell you now that's not going to go down well if you take that line with the missus.
    If she's working she's entitled to spend her own money as she wants-while still contributing her fair share to the household of course.

I'd be well p*ssed off if my partner told me he was "taking full control of the purse strings"...after I stopped laughing that is :P

No, I'll be a bit more subtle.
    I might suggest I that I take over the responsibility for doing the bills.
    Make it sound like doing her a favour.
    I'll suggest we allocate ourselves discretionary spending money at the beginning of the week (pocket money for grown ups).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Simple solution for you. Create 3 bank accounts, 1 for you, 1 for her, 1 joint. You get paid into your account, she gets paid into hers. Have the mortgage, bills and childcare costs split down the middle and deposited to the joint account every month.

The remains of your salary is yours, the remains of her salary is hers... after 1-2 months you'll see who has more money left in their account and then you'll know where the money is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

steve06 wrote: »
    Simple solution for you. Create 3 bank accounts, 1 for you, 1 for her, 1 joint. You get paid into your account, she gets paid into hers. Have the mortgage, bills and childcare costs split down the middle and deposited to the joint account every month.

The remains of your salary is yours, the remains of her salary is hers... after 1-2 months you'll see who has more money left in their account and then you'll know where the money is going.

A good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

steve06 wrote: »

Excellent idea, I am single and I have two accounts. Worked out my weekly average on all my regular bills and that stays in one while the remainder goes into the other account out of which I buy petrol, food and anything else I need. That way I know exactly where I stand ( or fall )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

No, I'll be a bit more subtle.
    I might suggest I that I take over the responsibility for doing the bills.

i think she'll subtly suggest that she's going to take over responsibility for when you have sex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

And eh you have a copy of the budget for 2011 do you?

The measures included have already been applied to your wage have they?

there will be tax increases. you know it, i know it and everybody else knows it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dudess wrote: »
    An administrator, for instance, could stand to earn far less than a counterpart of theirs in the private sector. My father was an engineer with the council - had he worked in the private sector he would have been on WAY more than he earned with the council.
    Actually as a general trend pay is more or less equal between the public and private sector at the higher levels, at the mid and lower levels is where the disparity becomes very pronounced. Don't ask me to dig out the report now though, I'm fed up looking at them. Also your father probably had job security and a pension that would have taken a hefty chunk out a private sector wage, both of which are valuable benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

reading all these "money saving tips" makes me realise how poor I am.

I do all this stuff already, a step down for me would be freeganism. Consider it OP, one man's trash etc

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Who is taking all my money ?.

do you have a laptop? do you monitor your back account and your CC?
    then use any of the expense tracker programs out there, I have one on my iphone and I can tell at the end of each month/year where every single penny is going and where do I need to cut some expenses.
    You just need to be constant and update it every time you spend money or a bill is coming in.
    try this one for example, it's free
    http://www.expensestrackr.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

The Irish are generally very poor at managing their finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/i.home

there is 40 quid a week.... Saved!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blackpitts wrote: »
    do you have a laptop? do you monitor your back account and your CC?
    then use any of the expense tracker programs out there, I have one on my iphone and I can tell at the end of each month/year where every single penny is going and where do I need to cut some expenses.
    You just need to be constant and update it every time you spend money or a bill is coming in.
    try this one for example, it's free
    http://www.expensestrackr.com/

Stop buying overpriced phones and use a pen and paper for starters :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Blackpitts wrote: »
    expense tracker programs out there, I have one on my iphone

What's the app?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

that seems to involve uploading your finances to a website. whats the point of that. a spreadsheet or the back of an envelope would do as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What's the app?

And how much does it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Self employed here, kids going to school, wife can't work ( cancer) can't get social welfare or a medical card, last week, i took home 140 euro.
    No way can i pay any more taxes,stealth or otherwise. what will they do, send me to prison? At least then wife and kids would have to be looked after by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think OP you have become used to the good times and are struggling to cut back that little bit. There does seem to be room for cut backs in your budget anyway.
    Ok so no drinking as such, cheap sky package, manageable mortgage, no car loans, I dont know, cocaine habit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

galwayrush wrote: »
    Self employed here, kids going to school, wife can't work ( cancer) can't get social welfare or a medical card, last week, i took home 140 euro.
    No way can i pay any more taxes,stealth or otherwise. what will they do, send me to prison? At least then wife and kids would have to be looked after by the state.

The self employed welfare system is a joke. You should be entitled to everything going. I feel you would probably go to prison sooner that sean fitzpatrick and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Duh. That's obvious... coke & hookers.

Indeed, if not by you, then by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mickdw wrote: »
    The self employed welfare system is a joke. You should be entitled to everything going. I feel you would probably go to prison sooner that sean fitzpatrick and co.
    For a country which prides itself on creating entrepreneurs and our big home-grown multinationals (Kerry Foods, etc), we treat self-employed people shockingly bad. PAYE workers automatically get double the tax credits of self employed people. For nothing. PAYE workers are effectively cushioned in the event that their job goes belly up. Self employed people, who are quite definitely in a much more vulnerable position, are left out in the rain if their business fails.

I dunno, we claim to encourage enterprise and ideas but we don't make it remotely attractive for anyone to leave the PAYE workforce. As my brother keeps saying now since he moved into employment 2 years ago after 8 years of self-employment - "I was a mug working for myself".

Split down the middle wouldn't be entirely fair. He earns 14% more than she does and it all comes out of the same pot at present. So for your experiment to work properly he should pay 54% of all expenses and she should pay the balance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seamus wrote: »
    Split down the middle wouldn't be entirely fair. He earns 14% more than she does and it all comes out of the same pot at present. So for your experiment to work properly he should pay 54% of all expenses and she should pay the balance.

Did he say his was the higher salary? I didn't see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

seamus wrote: »
    For a country which prides itself on creating entrepreneurs and our big home-grown multinationals (Kerry Foods, etc), we treat self-employed people shockingly bad. PAYE workers automatically get double the tax credits of self employed people. For nothing. PAYE workers are effectively cushioned in the event that their job goes belly up. Self employed people, who are quite definitely in a much more vulnerable position, are left out in the rain if their business fails.

I dunno, we claim to encourage enterprise and ideas but we don't make it remotely attractive for anyone to leave the PAYE workforce. As my brother keeps saying now since he moved into employment 2 years ago after 8 years of self-employment - "I was a mug working for myself".

Case in point, my sister was going to College and applied for the grant. My Dad was self-employed, and at the time was bringing practically nothing in.

Because you are self employed it is assumed you are wealthy, therefore no grant. My sisters friend, whose father was a farmer did get the grant. Regardless of the fact that he had recently sold 100 acres of land, that had been re-zoned as residential land, which turned him into a multi-millionaire over night.

The system is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

knird evol wrote: »
    i think she'll subtly suggest that she's going to take over responsibility for when you have sex

Come on, he's married with two kids, sex would have stopped years ago for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bluewolf wrote: »
    Did he say his was the higher salary? I didn't see that
    Good old sexist assumption on my part :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

syklops wrote: »
    And how much does it cost?

ixpensit, it costs about 3 euro if i'm not wrong
    best money i've ever spent on my iphone!
    it's is constantly updated and getting better after each release, it's totally customizable and it allows to monitor not only your expenses but also your cash flow, so you know what you should have in the bank at the end of the month.
    it offers a lot of reports and the possibiity to download all your expenses by email in a xls attachment. ;)

Advertisement