Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I can't afford any more tax increases ?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 10:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I know the answer but I'm looking to see who many other people are in the same situation.
    Both my wife & myself work 2 professional well paid jobs & have 2 children under school age.
    After we take out the mortgage, childcare, bills, shopping, petrol etc. we just about break even.
    We haven't put away any savings in the last year & we've taken all the austerity measures.

All the tax increases being mooted will affect us directly.
    More PAYE, reduction in child benefit, possible property tax or water rates, increase duty on fuel.
    Any one of these will be enough to tip us over the edge & into debt.

I cant understand how any couple with a recent mortgage & kids can cope, the figures just don't add up.
    Anybody else in the same sinking boat ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I suggest you ask the good folk in the taxation forum.

And now back to our usual programming... IN BEFORE THE BIGGINS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I suggest you ask the good folk in the taxation forum.

And now back to our usual programming... IN BEFORE THE BIGGINS!!!!!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sanjuro wrote: »
    IN BEFORE THE BIGGINS!!!!!

Careful Now....and whats up with people asking questions and then answering them?...I'll tell you what it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Basically a drop in your standard of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I know the answer but I'm looking to see who many other people are in the same situation.
    Both my wife & myself work 2 professional well paid jobs & have 2 children under school age.
    After we take out the mortgage, childcare, bills, shopping, petrol etc. we just about break even.
    We haven't put away any savings in the last year & we've taken all the austerity measures.

More PAYE, reduction in child benefit, possible property tax or water rates, increase duty on fuel.

I cant understand how any couple with a recent mortgage & kids can cope, the figures just don't add up.

If you're both in well paid professional jobs, you really shouldn't be having any problems.

I would suggest that either you are overspending in some areas or (shock, horror) that the jobs you consider well paid, aren't actually so, or quite possibly a combination / variation of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The boat's already gone down, and most people are now trying to hang onto a greasy plank with the sharks circling.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

go on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

There are only two certainties in life - Death and Taxes. If you can't afford the latter, I'm afraid the future is rather bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Cut down expenditure. Shop in cheaper supermarkets. Make use of the reduced section in tesco/dunnes. Obviously no holiday this year. Cut down on non essentials (even magazines/cappucionos/pints down the local).
    Don't buy new clothes. Dont trade in your car for a newer model (maybe sell one if you have two!). If your children are in expensive childcare, are grandparents in the picture?
    If you need new clothes, pennys/dunnes/tesco rather then brown thomas/tommy hilfigger.
    It wont be for ever, keep your head down and get on with things.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

as lonng as you both have jobs, you will be fine. the mortgage is definately a problem, but tax increases would only cost about 80euro on average a month for a person on about 30,000 to 35,000 a year.

surely 160euro a month wouldnt push you to debt? thats 40euro a week, be a bit more efficent with food shopping, reduce your electricity and gas bills by 10-20% , ditto for tv/phone/broadband etc etc if you have and there you go, sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Until an arrangement is arrived at where the lunatic mortgages of recent years get a 'haircut' like the developers' loans, we're not going to get out of this situation.

I was reading a couple of weeks ago about some foreign bank that was considering buying some of the mortgages from Irish banks; they were then going to offer a deal to revalue the house at its current market value and cut down the mortgage (and so the repayments) accordingly; in exchange, the home-'owner' would agree to give the bank half the price when the house is finally sold. Can't find the article now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if that is the case you have alot more you can cut out id imagine. what could your bills be? the essentials electricity / gas 100 a month maybe even 100 every two months. a phone bill another 100 or so every two months. but i bet you that your 'bills' also include broadband and digital tv well there are two more savings you can make overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Until an arrangement is arrived at where the lunatic mortgages of recent years get a 'haircut' like the developers' loans

that didnt actually happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭wetling

If youre professional I assume you declare your own taxes? obvious answer there, why anyone would pay taxes when 90% of it is wasted on housing and feeding scumbags and immigrants and the rest spent on fat red nosed pricks wages, obviously declare some to keep the cunts off your back.

Don't let people rob you, legal or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

wetling wrote: »
    If youre professional I assume you declare your own taxes? obvious answer there, why anyone would pay taxes when 90% of it is wasted on housing and feeding scumbags and immigrants and the rest spent on fat red nosed pricks wages, obviously declare some to keep the cunts off your back.

No. Most professionals are PAYE workers & not self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Standard of living as someone else said is the key phrase here.

You can actually save a whole bundle of money if you're willing to take a hit on the little pleasures in life. Buy all of your clothes in Dunnes or Penneys. Do the bulk of your shopping in Lidl/Aldi. Walk to any destination that's less than a mile away. Park your car where it's free instead of at a shopping centre's car park. Bring your lunch into work and stop buying tea/coffee/crisps/chocolate in work. Downgrade to the basic TV package and the slowest broadband package. Use your mobile less. Go out with your friends once every two weeks instead of twice a week. Or, walk to a local pub instead of one that's a taxi ride away.

Why should you have to? Because you can't afford to do otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This is the problem, you don't actually understand what is happening. Anglo has sold the loan to Nama at a discount, but the full amount is still owed by the developer to Nama.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Claim to be an asylum seeker. You'll get a free house, free car, a large dollar-sign bag full of cash and a GPS locator that will help you track every swan in Ireland. Or so goes my understanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

phill106 wrote: »
    Cut down expenditure. Shop in cheaper supermarkets. Make use of the reduced section in tesco/dunnes. Obviously no holiday this year. Cut down on non essentials (even magazines/cappucionos/pints down the local).
    Don't buy new clothes. Dont trade in your car for a newer model (maybe sell one if you have two!). If your children are in expensive childcare, are grandparents in the picture?
    If you need new clothes, pennys/dunnes/tesco rather then brown thomas/tommy hilfigger.
    It wont be for ever, keep your head down and get on with things.
    Good luck!

We've been through most the austerity plan outlined above.
    No holiday this year either.

Grand parents not an option as the house we bought is 30 miles away from home.
    Couldn't afford to buy where we grew up.

Our oldest lad is starting school the year after next.
    If we can ride out these 2 years we should be fine then.
    Not looking forward to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

wetling wrote: »

I have certain "valuable skills" that I can offer minus VAT if worst comes to worst.
    Just to cut down on the paperwork if you understand.

I used to have qualms about working the black economy but if the government force me into it I have no moral objection to going down that route.

The government sells your debt to The Merchant of Venice! :eek:

As for cutting back, I feel that the time machine's already back to the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I don't pay any tax. Cause I don't earn enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

We've been through most the austerity plan outlined above.
    No holiday this year either.

Grand parents not an option as the house we bought is 30 miles away from home.
    Couldn't afford to buy where we grew up.

Our oldest lad is starting school the year after next.
    If we can ride out these 2 years we should be fine then.
    Not looking forward to it though.

Emigrate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Every night in my dreams
    I see you. I feel you.
    That is how I know you go on.

Far across the distance
    And spaces between us
    You have come to show you go on.

Near, far, wherever you are
    I believe that the heart does go on
    Once more you open the door
    And you're here in my heart
    And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time
    And last for a lifetime
    And never go till we're one

Love was when I loved you
    One true time I hold to
    In my life we'll always go on

Near, far, wherever you are
    I believe that the heart does go on
    Once more you open the door
    And you're here in my heart

There is some love that will not
    go away

You're here, there's nothing I fear,
    And I know that my heart will go on
    We'll stay forever this way
    You are safe in my heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i know how ya feel OP. its a pretty s'hitty feeling knowing that they're gonna take more money of ya to pay for banks, a wasteful, lazy and ignorant public services and (whatever % of) scroungers on the dole probably working cash in hand aswell.

i worked hard all my life so far without asking the state for a penny, now i'm being punished for that.

rip up the croke park agreement too imo - or the f'uckin imf will do it for ye lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe contact mabs for budgeting help. I have a friend who though he was cutting spending as much as possible. When he kept a spending record for the month, he realised there was a lot he could save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP let me guess

You have two sub-3 year old cars with attendant loans
    You have a big loan for home improvement or something similar
    You didn't shop around for childcare
    You have at least 2 credit cards, one maxed out
    You shop in Dunnes or Superquinn
    You haven't talked to your bank about rescheduling your mortgage
    You have a big Sky/UPC package

Need I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Confab wrote: »
    OP let me guess

Need I go on?

right so. he should be hit with more taxes cos of all this is that what yer saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Confab wrote: »
    OP let me guess

Need I go on?

No.

I think the smugness of your epistle is more than adequate as it is.

Advertisement