Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I can't afford any more tax increases ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Echospace wrote: »
    I think it's crazy and completely backwards that the people actually contributing money into the country's finances through PAYE (I presume you are both private sector workers), are struggling. And yet the social welfare class who contribute nothing, but extract money from the country, are fine. The political/developer class who contribute nothing, and also extract money from the country are fine. The public/civil service, who are still being paid 28% higher than the average private industrial wage, and who also contribute nothing towards the country's finances (and the concept of public sector "tax" is laughable) are protected by union agreements.

This situation can't continue for much longer anyway. A young married couple, BOTH working, shouldn't have to worry about being able to afford television/broadband bills. These are the type of people who will actually get the country OUT of recession.

hear hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    We're about 5 years into a 25 year 90% mortgage so the outstanding amount would just about be covered by a sale I reckon.
    We have thought about moving up the country to rent but the we like the area & the kids have made friends.
    Like anywhere you put down roots over time.

How much do you(ye) pay a month on mortgage?

What is the ballpark salaries?

The money you earn has to be going somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I think it's crazy and completely backwards that the people actually contributing money into the country's finances through PAYE (I presume you are both private sector workers), are struggling. And yet the social welfare class who contribute nothing, but extract money from the country, are fine. The political/developer class who contribute nothing, and also extract money from the country are fine. The public/civil service, who are still being paid 28% higher than the average private industrial wage, and who also contribute nothing towards the country's finances (and the concept of public sector "tax" is laughable) are protected by union agreements.

This situation can't continue for much longer anyway. A young married couple, BOTH working, shouldn't have to worry about being able to afford television/broadband bills. These are the type of people who will actually get the country OUT of recession.

Are you trying to insinuate that they are no young married people working in the public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are you trying to insinuate that they are no young married people working in the public sector?

Ugh, let's not get into the PS v private sector argument, it's more boring than the 'legalise marjuana' debacle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Confab wrote: »
    6 saleable kidneys.

All of a sudden, I'm thinking about the sh1t movie "Human Centipede", and whether such a contraption can operate on one kidney. I'll get back to you on that.

• Advertisement

Ugh, let's not get into the PS v private sector argument, it's more boring than the 'legalise marjuana' debacle now.

yeah. lets not do that. on the very day its been confirmed that the public sector are immune from cuts and the private sector takes the pain of rescuing the country, lets not talk about it...its old hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

OP wrote:
    What happens if I can't afford any more tax increases?

you are in for a dose of harsh realities, that is if you havent already reduced your eating, heating, clothing and holiday costs and expenses.

I didnt try to do that perhaps the qouted post below did, I just wanted to know if I should go home and tell my wife and kids i'm not allowed to have them. The tone of the below post seems to suggest there are no young married people in the PS so I want clarify if i have to quit my job or kill the wife and kid.

yeah. lets not do that. on the very day its been confirmed that the public sector are immune from cuts and the private sector takes the pain of rescuing the country, lets not talk about it...its old hat.

Yeah yeah yeah I cant wait as a public sector worker, until they bring each private sector employee into my office one by one for their lashing! :rolleyes:

What pain are you talking about Bosco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

They were separate points.

A young married couple both working in the public sector also shouldn't have to worry about television/broadband bills. But the fact of the matter is they don't have to worry about them. Considering they are earning 28% more on average, for the same work, than private sector staff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

gurramok wrote: »
    How much do you(ye) pay a month on mortgage?

What is the ballpark salaries?

The money you earn has to be going somewhere.

Salaries of €36k & €42k before tax.
    Mortgage of €744 p/m including TRS.
    Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.
    Normal ESB & Gas bills, say €150-€200 every 2 months.

They were separate points.

A young married couple both working in the public sector also shouldn't have to worry about television/broadband bills. But the fact of the matter is they don't have to worry about them. Considering they are earning 28% more on average, for the same work, than private sector staff.

do you have any facts apart from this mytical average earning in the ps and the average industrial wage.

How many public servants earn more more than the average?
    How many public servants earn less than the average?

When you can come back with those numbers I'll talk until then your talking crap!

Yeah yeah yeah I cant wait as a public sector worker, until they bring each private sector employee into my office one by one for their lashing! :rolleyes:

What pain are you talking about Bosco?

who's bosco?

if my company cant afford to pay me i take a pay cut or lose my job. if a public service worker cant afford to be paid they...well, nothing happens actually. people who actually generate wealth for the country keep paying them through increased taxation.

always seemed a bit weird to me anyway.

who's bosco?

if my company cant afford to pay me i take a pay cut or lose my job. if a public service worker cant afford to be paid they...well, nothing happens actually. people who actually generate wealth for the country keep paying them through increased taxation.

always seemed a bit weird to me anyway.

Sorry when was this increased taxation?

do you have any facts apart from this mytical average earning in the ps and the average industrial wage.

When you can come back with those numbers I'll talk until then your talking crap!

apt username too...considering imo a large chunk of public service staff are in fact robbing the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.

Some quick math and you appear to
    have a hole in your pocket

apt username too...considering imo a large chunk of public service staff are in fact robbing the country...

No way biff you didnt just use my name to try and make a funny dids you, woah you really are cool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.

Tax calc shows total income 5k a month?
    minus above costs you have just under 3 grand? minus food of 600 is around 22-2400

I'm confused now :confused:
    What else is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if you dont want to give this info obviously i understand but the important part of this equation is

A) your income
    B) the cost of your mortgage

you say that both of your are well paid professionals so a low end guess of your salaries are 30-40K a year each

so judging by your own figures either your mortgage is absolutely massive and you had no business taking it out in the first place or your not being honest about your discretionary expenditure

Lots of people just dont get mortgages it seems, they are like CC, absolutely fine in the right hands, but DANGEROUS in the wrong ones :(

http://ronanlyons.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/wages-graph.png

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2009/02/04/public-sector-pay-in-ireland-the-e50000-question-its-not-that-difficult/

Not much has changed in 2009 either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.

My extremely rough calculation leaves 2200 odd quid per month for food and clothes. I'm assuming I'm way off or you've forgotten some major expenses.

Sorry when was this increased taxation?

have you been out much? turned on a tv? read the newspaper?

18 billion ringfenced next year to pay for a public service that the dogs on the street know is about as efficient as a swiss cheese condom

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1006/1224280471948.html

Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.

Your family income is about twice mine my outgoings half the mortgage and minus the childcare are similar.

Are all employess in the PS unskilled workers?

I think some of those emplyed might be highly skilled such as doctors and nurses and one would expect trained skilled people to earn above the average industrail wage? ( or maybe you think they let clerical admin staff perform heart surgery).

I asked for numbers rerlating to how many ps workers earned above the average wage and how many earned below the average.
    Not for you to show me a graphic of the average, but thanks i'll store it with all the other useless junk. Oh this thread here is a good place to store useless crap lets leave it here!

:D

No way biff you didnt just use my name to try and make a funny dids you, woah you really are cool!

i wasnt joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Childcare €250 p/w.
    Petrol €350 p/m.

Income about 5,113 after tax http://www.taxcalc.eu/

Expenses:
    Mortgage - 744
    Childcare - 1000
    Petrol - 350
    Utilities - 100
    Aldi & Dunnes comes to €130 per week = 520 pm
    €30 p/m Sky €65 p/m Eircom Bundle

Expense total = 2809

That leaves 2,300 left over per month, where does it go to?

have you been out much? turned on a tv? read the newspaper?

18 billion ringfenced next year to pay for a public service that the dogs on the street know is about as efficient as a swiss cheese condom

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1006/1224280471948.html

I dont commune much with dogs in the street, can you tell me the date which this increased taxation came in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Some other (possible) expenses:

Car tax, insurance and maintenance for two cars.
    Mobile phone bills. (I'm assuming you both have mobiles.)
    Clothes etc. for the children.
    Cigarettes?
    Hobbies?
    Do you buy lunch at work?

There's loads you're leaving out, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Give up the cigs. if you or the missus smoke. A hard thing to do I'm sure (don't smoke myself) but with Ireland having the most expensive cigs. in the E.U. you'd probably save a fair bit, depending on how many you smoke a day of course; and you'll probably save on future health costs too.

How about an Au-Pair instead of a creche for the kiddies? Cheaper by far and they'll do some housework too.
    Get a German or Scandinavian if you can-their diligence and standards of cleanliness are usually very high.

Someone else mentioned this but you didn't respond- grow your own veg.?
    You don't have to dig up the back garden-raised beds are much easier to tend to and save your back.
    How about keeping hens in the back garden?
    If you don't have a garden can you get an allotment? are there community gardens in your area?
    You can grow herbs and some veg. on window ledges if none of that is possible.

Make a list of what you'll need before you go food shopping and stick to it.
    It works for me as it prevents impulse buying.

Make a huge pot of soup and freeze what you don't eat so you have lunch for a week.

Bake your own bread if you can. I make brown soda bread when I have little time-takes less than an hour from start to finish.

You or the missus any good at crafts? knit or crochet jumpers, scarfs, socks, gloves etc. for yourself or the kids.
    You'll have better quality warmer woolies than Dunnes/Pennys and they'll last longer.
    Go to Ravelry.com for free patterns.
    I sew/knit most of my own clothes and the rest I get second-hand and modify and up-cycle (except for undies, dems I get new :D). It's more satisfying than buying something loads of other people are wearing and saves me money.

Ebay for lots of things but a male friend of mine gets all his disposable razors there for a fraction of the retail price here. Cheaper batteries too, car parts, clothes etc.

Stock up with meat that the likes of Tescos sell off cheap because it's near or just past it's sell-by date.
    It's perfectly fine as long as you freeze it straight away.
    It's the only way I can afford organic chicken.

• Advertisement

I dont commune much with dogs in the street, can you tell me the date which this increased taxation came in?

If you are taking a jab at private sector workers not "paying" for this recession, ask the 300,000 or so private sector workers who have not taken a paycut, but actually LOST their jobs in the last 2 years. How many forced public sector redundancies have there been in the last 2 years?

Advertisement