Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 laslow123

I went along for the ride with them one day, and they pretty much pushed they're way in to a womans house, she hadn't very good English but the 2 who I was with totally seen the woman as a soft touch, I was horrified by what I saw, the people that do this job are brain washed by the people running these places, when I questioned the methods that they were using, they seemed to think it was fine to push themselves on people like that, if you have any ethics and pride in yourself, stay away from these places, they give decent folk the run around with commission, etc etc, YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS......................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Delancey wrote: »
    It is alleged that some people make thousands selling door to door but judging from the comments on this forum by those who have worked at this nobody has ever met these big earners - I doubt they exist.

yes they are.

I have seen them with my own eyes.

now i am doing this for 3 weeks now.

last week i almost hit my target.
    I was 25% away from it, this week I'm WAY OFF.

I'm 60% off.

This is how a sales job is.

Like i have sales is not always about being the whole businessman approach.

I would advise anyone to try it for a week and 2 days.

you'll be suprised on what you find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I was recently speaking to a person who employs sales people on commission only. He puts commission only in his adverts, yet he still gets plenty of CVs. So either people aren't reading his adverts properly :) or many people really are ok with commission only as long as they know the score upfront and don't feel they're being tricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

€25 mmm I'd say they earn their money so....I mean how many could you possibly hope to sell in an 8 hr shift?

Anyone done it? Experiences?

Hi FH
    I have, it depends on what kind of sign up you get for the commission pay-out, i was good enough at the phone sign ups it was really based over how many people you can talk to in a day my usual was between 2 and 5 a day but it worked out at between 12 and 17 a week, granted the first week i did it, i made no sales but that was down to me not really wanting to talk to people at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

Just curious for the folks who have done this job.
    Have you ever gotten a polite but firm No Thanks and attempt to close the door in the first 30 secs and still managed to turn this around to get the sale ?

Not exactly but at the same time yes ....
    I had gotten a polite yet firm no at the door which was pretty much closed in my face, so i moved on to the next door where i did get a sign-up as i was passing back the person that had said no called me over and appologised for being abrupt, it turns out they had talked to their neighbour and decided it was something they wanted to do aswell, as for changing a firm yet polite no, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Keeb

Delancey wrote: »
    It is alleged that some people make thousands selling door to door but judging from the comments on this forum by those who have worked at this nobody has ever met these big earners - I doubt they exist.

I have met these big earners. One of them started with me, got the same training as me but was just brilliant at it. He made at least one sale per day from the day he started and it was €150 per sale so he made around €1,300 in his first week. They moved him up to stage 3 immediatley and if he keeps going at the rate he is, he's gonna be an assistant manager RAKING in the money. I'm not lying, I saw it with my own eyes! He was a typical LAD as I would describe him :L really good looking, knew exactly what to say and everyone liked him. That's what set him apart from everyone else, he was just so confident and in this job you have to sell yourself aswell as the product. People like him when they meet him so he made a lot of sales! Simple as. It's not for everyone though. I did it for a week and quit cause it just wasn't for me. I hated being the annoying person calling at people's doors. You're supposed to keep yapping away when people say they're not interested and that's what he did but I didn't have the heart for it so I'd just say ok bye :) Anyone thinking of starting one of these jobs definetly give it a go, you could be brill at it and love it! It's a chance to make a lot more than basic pay if you're good at it. If you're not doing well you can always walk away from it and know that you tried it at least. Delancey I have to ask; have you ever tried door to door sales seen as though you make it seem like you know all there is to know about it :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Nope , never tried it and never will , I've had enough people calling to my door for Airtricity to put me off that for life.
    If folks can make a few quid doing this then fair dues to them , my issue is with with the job ads that are , shall we say , ' economical ' with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lorin1234567

Hey everyone I have an interview tomorrow morning with b and b direct. I seen a thread deep deep within boards saying it was a scam? Can anyone else confirm this?

PLEASE REPLY ASAP as I am very worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hey everyone I have an interview tomorrow morning with b and b direct. I seen a thread deep deep within boards saying it was a scam? Can anyone else confirm this?

PLEASE REPLY ASAP as I am very worried about this.

not a scam as such. its just really hard to make any money. you could be walking around 8am till 7pm. and not make a single penny. if you don't reach targets after a week or 2 you're likely to be sacked.

only a small percentage can do the job so take up the challenge if you want.

if you have a job i wouldn't give it up for this type of job

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lorin1234567

Oranage2 wrote: »
    not a scam as such. its just really hard to make any money. you could be walking around 8am till 7pm. and not make a single penny. if you don't reach targets after a week or 2 you're likely to be sacked.

only a small percentage can do the job so take up the challenge if you want.

if you have a job i wouldn't give it up for this type of job

Yeah I have a friend who worked for a direct sales company and I seen him bring in 500+ some weeks and nothing for a solid 3 weeks.
    I think I am going to pass on the interview sadly.
    Thanks Orange2!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bods22

I'm still unemployed since I last posted, and feel like a COMPLETE idiot for believing the garbage these people told me! This particular office is located on Capel st and I hope everyone knows what kind of scam they are conducting and stays away from them. I almost thinking about contacting their clients, who are actually well-established brands and telling them that these companies promoting them are probably doing them more harm in the long run by getting a bad name!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

What I dont get is why you would apply for these roles in Dublin when there are similar ones that pay a basic?

Fair enough, it's effectively the same job - door to door, long hours on your feet etc, but a client of ours has 25 of these roles with basic and commission AND expenses (may be some around the country stuff)!

I presume people apply for these first and then don't get them and go for these comm only ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 royal off

Hey all
    Need help!
    Got a ring call from "Impala Direct Ltd" this morning, and email either, applied on JOBS.IE but it looks like a scam, cannot find any good things on the internet

>
    Following our conversation, this email confirms your interview and provides directions.

During this preliminary interview you will be asked to fill in a brief application form. You will then have an informal chat with one of the managers where you will be asked to provide an insight into your previous roles and explain how your experience could benefit our company. The manager will also give you a brief history of the company, our clients and the services we provide.

Directions: If you make your way to the Spire on O'Connell Street you will see Henry Street. Walk along Henry Street to the very end and you will see an AIB Bank in front of you. This is Capel Street. Turn left and walk down Capel Street towards the Quays, we are number 27, right next door to a Polish shop called Polesmack. Should you have any difficulties attending your interview please contact us on 01 8729841.

We look forward to meeting you!

Kind regards,

Sarah

27 Capel St

Dublin 1

http://www.impaladirectltd.co.uk/

Visit our pressroom - http://pressroom.prlog.org/impaladirectltd/

Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=impala+direct+dublin&fb=1&hq=impala+direct&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Fingal,+Ireland&cid=3566240769965807120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

this is d7 marketing solutions,check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61575825

horse7 wrote: »
    this is d7 marketing solutions,check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61575825

I think "they" just changed name, no bother with the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

Had an interview with them months ago, its door to door selling for airtricity and selling make up in shopping centres :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bods22

In my case FlashHarry, they didn't actually specify in my interviews that it was commission only, they just said 300-400 per week. I didn't even ask about commission because door-to-door selling wasn't the position I had applied for. Slowly throughout the first day though it dawned on me that they had effectively brainwashed me into thinking that this was a legitimate job and put me out door-to-door selling in some random town in Kildare!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Iv seen a job but one sales company on a number of jobs websites (not sure if i can name them or not) they have noting to do with PMD Marketing or any of them but its door to door with an energy company (im sure you know witch one). The job has been there for more then a year id say now, it was commission only but now also pays a wage (most likey because they cant get anyone to do it). I rang up about it just to see what the story was, first the person i was talking to was well lets just say they didn't seem like the kind of person you'd want to work for, When i aasked about the wage etc they wouldn't tell me nor would they tell me how much commission you got paid. But anyway you were expected to go out arouund rual areas with no expence paid, had to keep track of all your own sales, submit all your own sales, more or less had to do everything wile the other person made money off it.
    Now i really think theres something wrong with people in theres sales companys in that they expect the sales people to do everything wile they sit back and do noting. Also what makes it worse is they know people need work and money so they will do all this for them, at the end of the day even if the sales person only make 2/3 sales the top person still gets paid

Had an interview with them months ago, its door to door selling for airtricity and selling make up in shopping centres :mad:

so upset:mad:

• Advertisement

Some people who did these jobs and left after a few days have reported they were not paid for the sales they did make - apparently this was to cover '' training costs '' - the list of sins is seemingly endless.

The job i was talking about has now gone back to commission only on the FAS website. I taught commission only jobs couldn't be posted on the FAS website though?

Also this job you need your own transport with no expence paid and its all cold calling. What ever about it being commission only you'd think theres companys should eather have to pay travel expeneces or set up meetings with people who have already shown an interest in the product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

sendit wrote: »
    The job i was talking about has now gone back to commission only on the FAS website. I taught commission only jobs couldn't be posted on the FAS website though?

Also this job you need your own transport with no expence paid and its all cold calling. What ever about it being commission only you'd think theres companys should eather have to pay travel expeneces or set up meetings with people who have already shown an interest in the product

It's a boiler room operation. Plain and simple. I sooner sell my arse than try this crap.

It's a boiler room operation. Plain and simple. I sooner sell my arse than try this crap.

Its crazy if you ask me its taking advantage of people who need work!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lizzyxox08

I worked for an office under the PERDM umbrella for ten months. their main office was in Capel Street in Dublin, but i was in a different office, but did visit the Dublin office from time to time for 'Road Trips' where they put us up in a hostel, I think ours was like a tenner a night each! They guy driving us down there was told the expenses would be covered for petrol money, but weeks later he still hadn't received a single penny.

Anyways Our day started a half nine or, ten latest, if you weren't in by ten you were marked down as late (even tho in the interview you were told that you were self-employed and could choose your own hours) and then you were ignored for the day, and were also given the most 'negative person' in the office to be your team mate for the cold calling hours which are from half twelve to have eight Monday to Friday. (the hours from ten until half twelve are spent in the office listening to blaring music while being pumped up for your day on the selling field. there was a lot of chanting and brainwashing tactics that were used. i wont go into it too much but what i will say sickened me is that they look down on ordinary peoples jobs like in a shop or factory or talk about the fact that they didn't get this great 'opportunity that you were sooo lucky to have been given' I found that awfully strange cos in my eyes, nowadays if i found a job in a factory or a shop which paid the bills id be extremely lucky. Saturdays were 'optional' but then we were told if you didn't come in, it proved that you weren't serious about the business and the managers wouldn't want to waste their time working with you.

Also they use peoples family members to try and motivate you. For example they will ask things like, what does your mother work as, and what does your sister work as....?? And they you will tell them, and they will be like, well how are you going to feel when you are earning more than the two of them put together in just a few months of hard work?? Its really horrible i think the prey on vulnerable people. Also you start as a distributor, then will move on to a trainee manager when you hit a certain criteria, example seven sales for three days running, and when you prove you have a trainee manager mentality.

When you become a TM you are then brought into trainers meetings where you, the other trainee manages and the managers will discuss all the distributors in the office, what they doing bad, what they are doing good. Are they being negative about the business, what can we do to change that. Basically the mangers are brainwashing us trainee managers, to brainwash the new guys (distributors) who in time will then brain wash the next new guys and so on. they justified it by making it seem like we had a responsibility now, and that the manager had chosen us to train all the new guys and to 'show them how to make money' even tho us trainee mangers barely had the petrol money for that days work between us.

ALL the money you make in that business goes back into that business. Petrol money, lunch money, paying for your observations petrol money, buying them lunch. Giving people a loan of money coz they didnt make any sales so they can't afford their part of the petrol money, going out for crew drinks to learn the secrets of how to get promoted to the next stage.

Its just awful how they are STILL getting away with it. id warn any1 that is think of going to the interviews to stay away from them.

Thanks for your post lizzy - you are not the first person to compare these outfits to religious cults , the similarities in Modus Operandi are striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lizzyxox08

Thats no problem at all Delancey !

If even one persons reads these kind of posts and changes their mind about working with these companies at least it will stand for something!!:)

lizzyxox08 wrote: »
    I worked for an office under the PERDM umbrella for ten months. their main office was in Capel Street in Dublin, but i was in a different office, but did visit the Dublin office from time to time for 'Road Trips' where they put us up in a hostel, I think ours was like a tenner a night each! They guy driving us down there was told the expenses would be covered for petrol money, but weeks later he still hadn't received a single penny.

Anyways Our day started a half nine or, ten latest, if you weren't in by ten you were marked down as late (even tho in the interview you were told that you were self-employed and could choose your own hours) and then you were ignored for the day, and were also given the most 'negative person' in the office to be your team mate for the cold calling hours which are from half twelve to have eight Monday to Friday. (the hours from ten until half twelve are spent in the office listening to blaring music while being pumped up for your day on the selling field. there was a lot of chanting and brainwashing tactics that were used. i wont go into it too much but what i will say sickened me is that they look down on ordinary peoples jobs like in a shop or factory or talk about the fact that they didn't get this great 'opportunity that you were sooo lucky to have been given' I found that awfully strange cos in my eyes, nowadays if i found a job in a factory or a shop which paid the bills id be extremely lucky. Saturdays were 'optional' but then we were told if you didn't come in, it proved that you weren't serious about the business and the managers wouldn't want to waste their time working with you.

Also they use peoples family members to try and motivate you. For example they will ask things like, what does your mother work as, and what does your sister work as....?? And they you will tell them, and they will be like, well how are you going to feel when you are earning more than the two of them put together in just a few months of hard work?? Its really horrible i think the prey on vulnerable people. Also you start as a distributor, then will move on to a trainee manager when you hit a certain criteria, example seven sales for three days running, and when you prove you have a trainee manager mentality.

When you become a TM you are then brought into trainers meetings where you, the other trainee manages and the managers will discuss all the distributors in the office, what they doing bad, what they are doing good. Are they being negative about the business, what can we do to change that. Basically the mangers are brainwashing us trainee managers, to brainwash the new guys (distributors) who in time will then brain wash the next new guys and so on. they justified it by making it seem like we had a responsibility now, and that the manager had chosen us to train all the new guys and to 'show them how to make money' even tho us trainee mangers barely had the petrol money for that days work between us.

ALL the money you make in that business goes back into that business. Petrol money, lunch money, paying for your observations petrol money, buying them lunch. Giving people a loan of money coz they didnt make any sales so they can't afford their part of the petrol money, going out for crew drinks to learn the secrets of how to get promoted to the next stage.

Its just awful how they are STILL getting away with it. id warn any1 that is think of going to the interviews to stay away from them.

How they still get away with it ill never know....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

bongi69 wrote: »
    See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734558

Protea direct are now trading as Impala.

As discussed in the thread above, a few of us (me included) were dragged around housing estates etc. etc., and the only recourse you can really have is taking a case with the ASAI, if the job ad is misleading or misinforming, as a number of us did, successfully.

I also made a complaint to Jobs.ie, and their general manager called me the next day to say that they are investigating the company involved, and had received correspondance from the ASAI.

Sometimes they're called Impala and sometimes "D7 Marketing", hmmm interchangable names for the company!! How unprofessional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Eoin wrote: »
    Actually, I've updated the thread title. People don't seem to understand that there's a difference between a "scam" and just a very tough job..

Applying for a job, then being called for an interview in the "marketing company" and then going out on an "observation day" to shadow one of the guys sell sh*t in a bag to naive people door-to-door is a scam. They leave out vital pieces of information to the folks who wish to work in these companies. I know from experience, I went for my first interview and asked a couple (or at least tried to) ask a couple of questions at the end of the interview. They said that there was a chance to ask those on your second interview, so I did and it seemed ok. Now here's the catch, just before you start your first day of work, you are told to register in the tax office as self-employed because you still have to do your taxes etc. I was told by my trainer that you earn 100 euro a day, straight into your pocket, tax free!! What a bunch of c***s.

Advertisement