Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the longest commute here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've three routes -

1. The most direct route works out about 50km each way (according to the Garmin) - straight down the old N1 to the city centre.

2. N1 to Swords then in via Malahide, Portmarnock & Sutton - 62.5km

3. Bettystown - Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush - Lusk - then as per route 2 - 73km - my favourite route but really only do-able during the summer.

at the moment, I'm coming in via Route 2 and home via Route 1, 3 times per wk, but with rugby having started back up I'm going to reduce it to twice per wk - the legs can't take a long commute on Friday, followed by two days of rugby, followed by another long commute!!!

Christ lad... you're a machine !!! Arnie wouldnt get a look in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

thanks for the compliment but based on what has happened on another thread I wouldn't go bandying the word "nutter" about:):):)

.......and in the spirit of honesty, I don't do it every day - I aim to do it 3 times per wk (Mon, Wed, Fri) with shorter commutes from Malahide. During the summer I was quite often doing it 4 yimes per wk and occasionally 5 times.

Quite frankly, I'm crap and I need the kms - esp having the read the weights being thrown around on the "What are you eating thread"

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I do 3 bike commutes a week.

Day 1 - Straight in and home which is 22km each way = 44km
    Day 2 - Straight in (22km) and 48km home = 70km
    Day 3 - Same as Day 2. = 70km

Pick the best 3 days of the week.

So total commute of 184km.

Tried 5 days but left me too tired to do my weekend rides and I like them too much to sacrafice them for the commute.

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone else, but he sometimes drives part of the way and parks up on the outskirts of town;).

As you can see I already admitted to that as you were posting!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As you can see I already admitted to that as you were posting!
    And just to confuse everyone, I deleted my original post when I saw your "confession"

• Advertisement

Around 7kms each way at the moment, soon to be 8-9kms each way with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

12k each way, at least four days a week.

and was so proud of myself until i read the rest of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Mines nothing compared to that, knocklyon to leixlip 21.7km each way, dont think id cummute if it was longer than an hour, with 12 hour shifts the day gets a bit long, this morning was up at 5:10am to be out the door for 5:20am was a bit of a pain sometimes but its free training time for me. Take it handy on the way in but try work a it bit on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

thanks for the compliment but based on what has happened on another thread I wouldn't go bandying the word "nutter" about:):):)"

Sounds interesting, you got a linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

82km (41km each way) about 2-3 times a week in the summer.

• Advertisement

I think a cummute is no longer a commute when you have to bring a bottle and possibly some food haha

If i was commuting like jawgap id need a bag full of food, not the usual spare cloths and rain gear packed in the ruck sack

asharkman wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, you got a linky?

here you go........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055946045

.......I double dare you to start a discussion on the use of the word "nutter":)

levitronix wrote: »
    If i was commuting like jawgap id need a bag full of food, not the usual spare cloths and rain gear packed in the ruck sack

Luckily, we've decent facilities here so I can leave stuff in the office and go light.

I usually do the morning spin in a fasted state - having read an article about training fasted - but when I get in I usually have a bucket load of porridge, then snack for the rest of the day - the spin home in the evening is a running buffet of jelly sweets and cereal bars!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

.......I double dare you to start a discussion on the use of the word "nutter":)
    Triple dare ....

... Banstick.jpg&t=1

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Only 14km each way for me.

Unless it's a training morning with maybe 60km...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyway, to add some more spice, who does the fastest long (say over 20km each way;)) commute.

I'm claiming 30.0kph over 800km in September (14 returns)

Ok that's pretty fast.

I average around 28-29kph for the first 18km. Then city traffic slows me to around 20kph for an overall 27 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

17.84km each way for me. Takes me roughly 45 mins. Only starting so hope to get the time down! My appetite has grown enormously! :)

There in the summer i enjoyed my commutes a bit more espeicaly when i was coming off nights, quick spin home at 6 30am then swap bikes, meet the lads at 7 30 , then zombied out for the rest of the day and sat on the couch watching the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

18.5Km each way but going to work I need to schlep over mount anville road in the first 2Km - fighting through the queue of SUVs at the school adds to the challenge. Do I win a prize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

bus to the dublin airport. ryanair flight to stansted and two minutes walk from there and im at work dont know the distance but im always sitting ha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Never checked before, I apparently cover 19km, according to google maps, each way.

Pretty pleased, like Crippens1, I have to battle through a stretch of 100 yards outside a school, defying death and statistics with every inch covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine varies, about 11~15k each way. Don't do it every day though... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

About 13km, from Lucan near Penny Hill to D'Olier st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

G rock wrote: »
    12k each way, at least four days a week.

and was so proud of myself until i read the rest of this thread

yeah similar.. 15km dead and I was well chuffed..

can't really call it daily yet as I was relying on a shorter cycle to the Luas (of 3km!) most days.. but not an option since my ol gal got nicked!!..

Actualy I should probably man up and not buy a duffer bike for now and get used the commute.. especially after some of the other distances being covered here!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

28k each way. Between 1hr 2mins and 1 20 depending on wind and previous nights/weekends consumption! Only 1 or twice a week though due to shift. Greystones windgates(that'll wake ye) bray shankill n11 to donnybrook. N11 cycle lane is the most dangerous part after bray main st. You're either on your toes or you're on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

1.1km
    It's rarely worth taking the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

thanks for the compliment but based on what has happened on another thread I wouldn't go bandying the word "nutter" about:):):)

I had no idea what you were on about there for a bit, then I checked out the thread you posted later on... now I see what all the fuss is about, I had no idea it was such a touchy subject and I never meant it as an insult - I just couldn't imagine myself doing them distances 3-4 times a week.

I'll be sure to be more careful in the future with my choice of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

22-25km each way depending on route, I cycle twice a week, more if I can negotiate (wriggle out of) school/creche drop offs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

16 kms each way, 5 days a week, if I don't have my boss tell me to go here or there for a meeting.

Advertisement