Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the longest commute here?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only got the road bike towards the end of the summer and only did one run to work on it, 51km each way.

Come March/April when the mornings get bright again I'm aiming to commute twice a week on the route...it means at very early start as I start work at 8am and it takes 2 hours on the bike. (45min vi car)

When I moved house back 2 years ago I had planned on changing jobs but then things changed, had I changed job it would have only been 15km away and I had planned on commuting pretty much every day... oh well.

I'm lucky when it comes to cycling to work as they have a full shower setup and lockers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

just started a job in Swords today, albeit a WPP job but it's experience I'm after, so going to start cycling in. wanted to make sure I'd arrive on time this morn.

have the luxury of having shower facilities there. even have a canteen with NICE food believe it or not and a fridge etc for storing lunch. absolutlely amazing if you ask me considering some of the places I've worked. lookng forward to the commutes. commute is approx 18.5km each way. aquick mental calculation reveals that to be......36....hold on...wait.... 37km round trip. damn i was always good at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I do 24.1km each way, usually 3 days a week.
    The stinger is the 150m climb into the foothills of the alps at the end!

mmrelevation.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,602 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I do 24.1km each way, usually 3 days a week.
    The stinger is the 150m climb into the foothills of the alps at the end!
    Looks a great route for heading into work during the morning though - get a bit of momentum up on that downslope, and it looks like you could almost freewheel it the rest of the way ...:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

11k daily, not much but come Feb. / March I like to do a 40k. commute twice a week with intervals between certain sets of lights.

I have a favourite "set of lights" dash on my way home. Between Donnybrook Church lights to RTE lights, if I'm fast enough, I'll catch the RTE lights on green. Never have, never have given it 100% either it seems 'cause I always come about 20/30 yds from the lights when they turn.

The next sprint is from UCD Belfield (straight run on the bike lane) to Bus shelter short of Radisson Hotel, a good 200 / 300 yds. Dopey PEDS. can be an issue!

This messing all starts about two months before the racing kicks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

16km each way 5 days a week, really enjoying it!

People are saying I'm getting skinny though:(

Huge bowl of porridge in the morning, cant bate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Well here's my main commute profiles (well plus the hard one :D )

Commute in by my normal direct route:

50525455185052545518_fb3c184dbe.jpg

Commute home by my favourite route:

50519266155051926615_13d8a3b401.jpg

This is the summer only when not carrying much ie boxers and socks stuffed in jersey pocket so no bags:

5052545696_6a9261ab88.jpg

photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

80k round trip daily, for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

74km (37km each way)

Skerries - Hatch St, Dublin, normally once a week, twice the odd time.

Skerries, Lusk, Swords, Malahide Rd, Coolock, Fairview, City Centre

Normally takes 1hr 15 - 1hr 25mins.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,602 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bbolger wrote: »
    74km (37km each way)

Skerries - Hatch St, Dublin, normally once a week, twice the odd time.

Skerries, Lusk, Swords, Malahide Rd, Coolock, Fairview, City Centre

Normally takes 1hr 15 - 1hr 25mins.

That takes in pretty much the whole of my inward route (I set off in Milverton, and work just off Malahide Road). What time are you setting off in the morning? I'll have to keep a lookout for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Beasty wrote: »
    That takes in pretty much the whole of my inward route (I set off in Milverton, and work just off Malahide Road). What time are you setting off in the morning? I'll have to keep a lookout for you.

I normally set off about 7:15, hitting Swords Pavilions roundabout before 8.

Getting tough now on the way home with the dark evenings, need a good front light (have a Cateye HL-EL530), due to there being no lights at all on the main Skerries road.

bbolger wrote: »
    I normally set off about 7:15, hitting Swords Pavilions roundabout before 8.

Getting tough now on the way home with the dark evenings, need a good front light (have a Cateye HL-EL530), due to there being no lights at all on the main Skerries road.
    I'm normallly a few minutes before that - I've done this commute over the past 2 winters - you're right, you do need good lights - mine are pretty strong (you'll definitely know it's me, as I've not seen any cyclist on that road using front lights as powerful as the ones I have;))

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a whole entire 4.4km total :p

Used to do 21.2km a day when working in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

about 8.5km each way

I Cycle Glasnevin end of Finglas to Dublin 4 every day, via
    Glasnevin Hill
    Botanic Ave.
    Down through Drumcondra
    Clonliffe
    Poplar row
    east wall
    Ringsend
    St. Lotts road
    Haddington Rd.

there's probably faster ways across with the new bridge but used to this.

The East wall road is in some state. I have to be 100% alert on it for potholes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Roughly 25k but have moved and havent cycled the new way but the old way was about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Used to do a 10km each way at my old house, but moved resently, so now its a 4.5km each way, and after i am redundant at the end of the month it will be 0km each way :D

So would knows what my next commute will be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Dublin Bikes - 1.2 Km each way.

I'd give my right leg for a proper commute.

Oh, wait..

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

Otherwise it's 22km each way for me - Malahide to City Centre via the Clontarf cycle track. Generally a very pleasant spin and quicker/more comfortable than the train.

I do the same run - works out at 22.5km each way for me - anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week depending on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

mine's around 6 miles :P each way. The Liberties to Blackrock, if anyone has a recommendation for a nicer trip than the canal and the n11/rock road I'd like to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

i done Cork City to Killarney last Sunday 90k one way. my Normal Route would be Cork to Dunmanway which is 56k each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Amazing! I would never thought there would be so many people doing such long bike commutes, considering how often you hear a rant or two about the 'weather', the rain, etc etc!

Jawgap - 120 km
    Guybrush T - 88 km
    CarlosK - 84 km
    JOHN_70 - 82 km
    garminguy - 80 km
    bbolger- 74 km
    Highway_To_Hell - 70 km
    ktz84 - 61 km
    Beasty - 57 km
    dr_ro - 56 km
    07Lapierre - 50 km
    Vélo - 50 km
    irishmotorist - 50 km
    yogipear - 50 km
    Civilian_Target- 48 km
    fenris - 47 km
    kemasse - 45 km
    NeedMoreGears - 44 km
    levitronix - 44 km
    Captain_Havoc - 41 km
    CramCycle - 38 km
    Crippens1 - 37 km
    Mutz - 36 km
    justo - 32 km
    murph226 - 32 km
    km991148 - 30 km
    droidus - 29 km
    c0rk3r - 29 km
    cdaly - 28 km
    De Bhál - 27 km
    Seamus - 26 km
    BostonB - 26 km
    inkedpt - 26 km
    G_rock - 24 km
    Planet X - 22 km
    thebourke - 20 km
    poochiem - 19 km
    Morgan - 16 km
    Dónal - 14 km
    Paulyh - 9 km
    ednwireland - 8 km
    wayne0308 - 5 km
    Cookie_Monster - 4 km
    Positron - 3 km
    sleepyholland - 2 km
    rocstar - 2 km

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

16kms each way Rathfarnham to Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

poochiem wrote: »
    mine's around 6 miles :P each way. The Liberties to Blackrock, if anyone has a recommendation for a nicer trip than the canal and the n11/rock road I'd like to hear it.

I do a similar commute but go home via Pearse St and Sandymount. Although Sandymount village is a bit of a death trap at times, the beach road is pretty and the air a bit fresher than the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

positron wrote: »
    Amazing! I would never thought there would be so many people doing such long bike commutes, considering how often you hear a rant or two about the 'weather', the rain, etc etc!

Jawgap - 120 km
    Guybrush T - 88 km
    CarlosK - 84 km
    JOHN_70 - 82 km
    garminguy - 80 km
    bbolger- 74 km
    Highway_To_Hell - 70 km
    ktz84 - 61 km
    Beasty - 57 km
    dr_ro - 56 km
    07Lapierre - 50 km
    Vélo - 50 km
    irishmotorist - 50 km
    yogipear - 50 km
    Civilian_Target- 48 km
    fenris - 47 km
    kemasse - 45 km
    NeedMoreGears - 44 km
    levitronix - 44 km
    Captain_Havoc - 41 km
    CramCycle - 38 km
    Crippens1 - 37 km
    Mutz - 36 km
    justo - 32 km
    murph226 - 32 km
    km991148 - 30 km
    droidus - 29 km
    c0rk3r - 29 km
    cdaly - 28 km
    De Bhál - 27 km
    Seamus - 26 km
    BostonB - 26 km
    inkedpt - 26 km
    G_rock - 24 km
    Planet X - 22 km
    thebourke - 20 km
    poochiem - 19 km
    Morgan - 16 km
    Dónal - 14 km
    Paulyh - 9 km
    ednwireland - 8 km
    wayne0308 - 5 km
    Cookie_Monster - 4 km
    Positron - 3 km
    sleepyholland - 2 km
    rocstar - 2 km

I spotted a mistake with my one there, it should be 17km

Paulyh wrote: »
    Used to do a 10km each way at my old house, but moved resently, so now its a 4.5km each way, and after i am redundant at the end of the month it will be 0km each way :D

So would knows what my next commute will be!!

I should add that I do my 9km's on single speed :pac: do i get extra points???

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Paulyh wrote: »
    I should add that I do my 9km's on single speed :pac: do i get extra points???

needs to be a fixed gear before bonus points are handed out:D

needs to be a fixed gear before bonus points are handed out:D

fair enough, i like to take advantage of the downhill sections :D

but i can flip my rear wheel if it means getting extra points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

positron wrote: »

Weather and rain are overplayed IMO. Firstly, it doesn't rain every day - or anything near it. Secondly, if it does rain, there's a something % chance that it will rain overnight or during the afternoon and a small % chance that it will rain between 8 and 9 or 5 and 7. Yes it does happen, but I'd say it's about a month since I got proper wet cycling home and that was 2 days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Weather and rain are overplayed IMO. Firstly, it doesn't rain every day - or anything near it. Secondly, if it does rain, there's a something % chance that it will rain overnight or during the afternoon and a small % chance that it will rain between 8 and 9 or 5 and 7. Yes it does happen, but I'd say it's about a month since I got proper wet cycling home and that was 2 days in a row.
    ...and in Galway the inverse of all the above is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

12km each way over (Rahoon -> Parkmore via the City Center) here in Galway City.
    poochiem wrote: »
    ...and in Galway the inverse of all the above is true.

Nah thats not true! What "irishmotorist" says still holds true over here as well. The atlantic wind on the other hand...
    Tip: I often use the met.ie rain radar to predict when a shower will hit. Can often avoid showers by leaving early or wait until they have passed.

Advertisement