Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the longest commute here?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who has the longest bike commute to work here? Quick search didn't bring back anything like this in Cycling section, hence this thread.

I guess a relaxed definition of commute can be if you do it at least once a week (not once a month, or once in a blue moon etc :) ) I know jawgap does phenomenal distances, but is that the top?

My own is pretty lame really - just 1 mile x 2 - to the railway station and back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd say mine is the longest - five miles - EACH WAY!!!

I don't think anything longer is humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Morgan wrote: »
    I'd say mine is the longest - five miles - EACH WAY!!!

One day my commute was much longer when I got in and realised that I had left my pants at home and had to go back to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Morgan wrote: »

I bet there are some machines here amongst us - some sort of advanced version of 'internal digesting engines', and once attached to a bike, they just keeps going on and on..! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ISTR there are some people on here with 50km commutes. Each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm 13km each way, which I understand is in the "longer than most" category, but nowhere near the "very long" category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

About 14.5k each way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think JawGap wins this one. AFAIK its 40k + each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

2.78 km each way, it's going to be even shorter soon after I move house. Wish it was longer so at least I'd get a good work out from it. It'll be interesting to see some of the longer commutes that people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

wayne0308 wrote: »
    2.78 km each way, it's going to be even shorter soon after I move house. Wish it was longer so at least I'd get a good work out from it. It'll be interesting to see some of the longer commutes that people do.

You don't have to go the quickest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Raam wrote: »
    You don't have to go the quickest route.

That is very true and I usually don't take the shortest route on the way home, unless I have to get back for some reason. But I'm a very lazy yoke in the morning so I tend to just try and leave as late as possible and get in as fast as I can. At least if it was longer I'd have no choice but make an effort in the morning also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

50klm, 25klm each way. Where does that put me? second? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    50klm, 25klm each way. Where does that put me? second? :)

Me too. 25km each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Glasnevin to swords -> 14.4km which takes 30-35minutes
    The same journey on the bus takes at least 1hour. Jesus i hate the bus, the walk to the bus, paying onto the bus, the people on the bus, the journey on the bus and the walk from my stop to my job. Nice little monday afternoon moan there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Should the question be 'Who has the longest daily commute here?'. Just to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

This topic was discussed before. I don't have the longest commute, but it is up there. Around 30km in and 40km home (visit my mum most evenings) all done on a fixie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

just to vary it a bit - who has the hardest commute?

I know I do a silly distance, but there's no hills to mention - so, anyone care to throw* their helmet** into the ring and claim the hardest commute?

*Don't throw it as much as gently place it on the ground - you don't want to crack it!

**Don't forget to pick your helment up afterwards - you should never cycle without this important piece of life-saving, world-changing equipment on your noggin:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

RobFowl wrote: »
    I think JawGap wins this one. AFAIK its 40k + each way.

Shaggit - that's good!

I'm 25km each way. Currently just doing Monday to Wednesday but thinking of upping it to another day now that winter's upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

One day my commute was much longer when I got in and realised that I had left my pants at home and had to go back to get them.

Jaysus, did you not feel the cold breeze on your legs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

During the summer I was cycling home most evenings. I only took the train to work because I'd end up smelling like a ***** :rolleyes:, 41.35kms :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I cunningly solved that problem by taking the train back in to work (with my pants of course).:D

Otherwise it's 22km each way for me - Malahide to City Centre via the Clontarf cycle track. Generally a very pleasant spin and quicker/more comfortable than the train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Not daily but I did 43.5km a few times during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

I know I dont qualify at the min, but during the summer I commuted from Slane to Swords via N2 and Ashbourne etc... think it worked out at about 42km each way. I stopped as the N2 is just lethal. Potholes galore and many many truckers wanting to run you into a ditch. Plus the mornings are darker now which has completely put a stop to the madness. The N2 has plenty of hills and there always seems to be a headwind, both going to and coming from work. The climb up Slane hill from the bridge to the village used to finish me off. Usually spent the whole night recovering to start it all again the next day. I can only say fairplay to Jawgap for doing it year round once its safe on the roads, I wish I had the same determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Some serious distances folks!! So, here's the table so far!

CarlosK - 84 km
    Jawgap - 80 km
    Highway_To_Hell - 70 km
    07Lapierre - 50 km
    Vélo - 50 km
    irishmotorist - 50 km
    NeedMoreGears - 44 km
    Captain_Havoc - 41 km
    droidus - 29 km
    c0rk3r - 29 km
    Seamus - 26 km
    Morgan - 16 km
    wayne0308 - 5 km
    Positron - 3 km :o

Jawgap does more than 80 I suspect. Google Maps plots the distance around 46 kms each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

i cycle 10 km each way (20km total daily )from harold's cross to leopordstown...it take me roughly 35 minutes in the morning and less in the evening...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap actually does about 50km each way, then sometimes takes a detour to add a bit more

I do about 23km in, and then usually take a longer route home, making my daily average about 57km, except when RobFowl gives me a tow and then adds a few local circuits on at the end.

Anyway, to add some more spice, who does the fastest long (say over 20km each way;)) commute.

I'm claiming 30.0kph over 800km in September (14 returns)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a whole 4km each way, going home is hard though according to the garmin is 12% (but not for long thankfully)
    129804.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I'm not sure if I count, because I only do it April-August when it's light enough in the mornings, and only a couple of times a week, but I cycle Navan-Leixlip (44km), which puts me just behind Jawgap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

I do 25k each way (50k in total) and thought that was pretty good until i read some of the commutes here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've three routes -

1. The most direct route works out about 50km each way (according to the Garmin) - straight down the old N1 to the city centre.

2. N1 to Swords then in via Malahide, Portmarnock & Sutton - 62.5km

3. Bettystown - Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush - Lusk - then as per route 2 - 73km - my favourite route but really only do-able during the summer.

at the moment, I'm coming in via Route 2 and home via Route 1, 3 times per wk, but with rugby having started back up I'm going to reduce it to twice per wk - the legs can't take a long commute on Friday, followed by two days of rugby, followed by another long commute!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Jawgap is surely well on top with those readings, I only did it occasionally over the summer, Jawgap (the nutter - no offence) does it every day!!! I've since wimped out of it. I take my hat off to him. Serious comittment. That goes for the rest of you lot travelling big distances. I'd love to be able to do it regularly.

Advertisement