Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone give me one good reason...

Options
  • 03-10-2010 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

...why we can't buy drink before 12 on a Sunday?

In years to come we'll be saying to our kids "You know, back in the olden days when people actually cared what the church said and 1 in 50 people respected politicians, we couldn't buy drink before 12 on a sunday or after 10 O Clock"

"Really Dad?"

"Really."

"You're shitting me"

"I wish I was. You could go into an off licence at 9:30, drunk to the gills, and buy 24 cans of lager and 5 bottles of vodka...but a sober person couldn't buy a bottle of wine at 10:05 or a pack of brasserie in their sunday morning shop in Aldi"

"Did you have aldi's back then dad?"

"Oh we did son, but they're not the mega stores that you see today"

I'm not going to have another rant at the government...but...even if Fianna Gail got in, there still wouldn't be anyone with some common sense running the country. And it's not all about drink, we know there's a million things that they've fucked up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

because when people are whining about not being able to buy drink, they're not thinking about how fcuked the country is in every other respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Originally because it was the sabbath. Now because the government is trying to slowly but surely close the window of time in which you can buy drink 'til eventually we're all forced to swarm into the offie between 6pm and 7pm to load up on our weekly booze.

Seriously though they're not going to bring it in line with the other days in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why would you want to buy drink on a Sunday morning! :D Some people just can't get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bazzo wrote: »
    Originally because it was the sabbath.

Black Sabbath behind drink restrictions? You learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Why would you want to buy drink on a Sunday morning! :D Some people just can't get enough.

I don't think it matters why someone would want to... but why aren't we allowed to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its because alcohol is the most abused and problem drug in our society, access is and should be controlled tightly.

Oh and the government are planks......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't think it matters why someone would want to... but why aren't we allowed to?

in respect for our Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why not? I have to wash the taste of that dead hooker out of my mouth with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Black Sabbath behind drink restrictions? You learn something new everyday.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because people should be at mass, not sitting about boozing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

But more and more people are now doing their weekly shop on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

**** me lads, buy a few ****ing beers or bottles of what ever and keep em in the fridge.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

**** me lads, buy a few ****ing beers or bottles of what ever and keep em in the fridge.

Problem solved.

I think you're missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't get this obsession with alcohol.

Yeah lads. **** me! Why do people ever need to buy things in the shop...just buy everything and keep it in the fridge. Problem solved! (don't eat or drink them though in case you run out)

Min wrote: »
    I don't get this obsession with alcohol.

You're missing the point too. Regardless of what it is...what right does a government of drunks have to tell us when and when we cannot buy something.

DHYNZY wrote: »
    in respect for our Lord.

Well its easy for him, being able to make wine appear when he wanted.

But more and more people are now doing their weekly shop on a Sunday morning.

Disgraceful really. They should be indoctrinating their children and themselves into the glorious ways of the catholic church. They'll all burn in hell.

Seriously, the licensing laws aren't there for the benefit of the consumer...or for the benefit of the shops...they're there for the benefit of the politician and the priest. Same can be said for many other laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ascanbe wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point.

Nope, i'm really not.

People know the hours they can buy booze but just want to have a ****ing moan about it as if some basic human right is being infringed upon because, guess what, you can't buy it 24/7.

I'm not missing the point at all, i'm just saying, work around it. Have a few tins in the fridge.

End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why would you want to buy a drink on a sunday morning anyways?

• Advertisement

Nope, i'm really not.

People know the hours they can buy booze but just want to have a ****ing moan about it as if some basic human right is being infringed upon because, guess what, you can't buy it 24/7.

I'm not missing the point at all, i'm just saying, work around it. Have a few tins in the fridge.

End.

So what if said people have been on the sauce the night before and all that stash has been depleted?
    What of someone who doesn't nrmally drink but has visitors coming round unexpectedly for dinner and wants to buy a bottle of wine early on a sunday...

The OP doesn't see why the sunday morning ban should be in effect...there was a time in Ireland when there were those who thought it shoudl have been, many of the public included...we are trying to move away from that, become a more secular society governed by rules of good sense., not those that protect some out moded opinions of moral and religious grounds.

[edit] Or are we?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Why would you want to buy a drink on a sunday morning anyways?

Maybe you're having a BBQ on Sunday evening and you're getting all the stuff for it in the morning.

Maybe you're doing your weekly shop on a sunday morning.

Maybe the Ryder cup is on for the afternoon.

Maybe there's a million reasons and you should stop asking stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think it is daft too. I went shopping one Sunday morning and thought, I'd buy a box of beer for the fridge, i thought wrong. Damn laws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Maybe you're having a BBQ on Sunday evening and you're getting all the stuff for it in the morning.

Maybe you could buy drink at some other time other than Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

You don't need alcohol to enjoy any of those events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Theres also a million reasons you shouldn't drink at all. Your post smacks of smart arsedness. It doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

he never said you needed alcohol. But if you want a beer while enjoying those events you should be allowed to buy it on a sunday morn like you can every other morn of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Its because alcohol is the most abused and problem drug in our society, access is and should be controlled tightly.

Oh and the government are planks......

and so are you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

flash1080 wrote: »
    Maybe you could buy drink at some other time other than Sunday morning.

:rolleyes:

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Theres also a million reasons you shouldn't drink at all. Your post smacks of smart arsedness. It doesn't suit you.

• Advertisement

Have you ever tried to watch golf sober?

Advertisement