Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions' Thread ***Info, News & Results***

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

This thread is to be used for duscussion of Irish wrestling promotions/events.

It has been deemed necessary by the forum moderators to lock the original Irish Promotions discussion thread as it had descended into personal abuse, insults, people airing dirty laundry, and more noise than signal. Or as I personally term it, a complete and total cluster-fukk of epic proportions.

Therefore, we have decided to close the original thread and start a new one, giving all users who wish to discuss Irish Wrestling a clean slate and we can all start afresh after cleansing ourselves of all the bad karma that the other thread carried.

Due to how the last thread went there are rules for this thread that are extra to the ones in the forum charter (although the charter rules do still apply also).

1: No airing of dirty laundry. We do of course realise that the Irish wrestling community is quite close knit, but this thread/forum IS NOT to be used to air personal grievances/take cheap-shots at others/sling crap or anything along those lines. Stick to discussion of the promotion, do not get personal, end of.

2: No personal attacks on wrestlers or promotions. If you don't think a particular wrestler/promotion is up to par give reasons for your opinion. Saying XXXXXX promotion is not good because the promotion should focus more on developing talent or XXXXXX wrestler is not good because they don't have good ring psychology is fine, everyone here is entitled to their opinion and we are happy to give you a place to voice it. Saying XXXXXXX promotion/wrestler sucks and is ghey cos I don't like them or anything along those lines is not on and WILL result in an infraction/ban. This particularly regards to making personal comments about wrestlers, if you want to comment on them as wrestlers go ahead, getting personal is a 100% no-no. This rule extends to making fun of/taking the piss out of promotions/wrestlers. What one person sees as funny another can see as an insult, keep that in mind at all times and be respectful and civil.

3: No trolling/flaming. Yes it is covered in the charter and the overall boards rules, but it is being stated here again, so that should give you an idea about how serious we take this one in this thread.

To put it simply: if you act the dick in this thread you will be dealt with very harshly indeed. The PW mods will be taking a no nonsense approach regarding this thread. We want there to be a place on this forum to discuss Irish wrestling and will do everything we can to facilitate that, but we need you to meet us half-way on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

First post, yay.

Hopefully this thread lasts the course, the last one was posibly my favourite thread on the entire board.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

Results from PWU show, held in Malone Rugby club, Friday 21st Aug

The Renegades Defeated Kev Rocks and Danny Butler
    Matt Venom Defeated DJ Marshall
    Tron Defeated Johnny Stash
    Los Locos Defeated Dean Maxwell and Dean Dooley
    Dave Shooter Defeated Vice
    Damien Corvin won a 5 man elimination match feateuring JDP, Brian Corr, Rodd and Tucker to become No.1 Contender to the PWU Title currently held by Tron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GerrySoul

fair play orestes.

back to normal.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FFPW_Dean

FFPW would like to wish Paul Tracey, Sean Brennan, Paddy Morrow, referee Tommy McNulty, Gerry Soul and all the AWR crew the best of luck with tonights event & all of their Irish tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

2 Day Beginners Pro Wrestling Training Camp - September 12th & 13th 2009

Fight Factory Pro Wrestling will host a Beginners 2-day professional wrestling training camp on the 12th & 13th of September 2009.

The focus of this camp is to give new trainees the oppurtunity to come down and learn with other new trainees at their own level, we will focus on the basics, bumping, chain wrestling, slams, suplexs, running the ropes, top-rope moves and matches.

The Camp will start at 12pm on Saturday the 12th and end at 5pm on Sunday the 13th.

The Cost of the camp is €40 for the 2 days. Trainees are allowed to stay overnight in the gym if required. There are also B&B's in the surrounding area.

Following on from this camp, there will be a live professional wrestling show held in the gym.

Any new or inexperienced trainees are welcome to train at this camp. Places are limited to 25 people. To reserve your place please contact us at info@fightfactoryprowrestling.com

please visit www.fightfactoryprowrestling.com for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Just read on another forum that IWW's supposed debut show in the UK last night had to be cancelled due to the local council deeming IWW to be lacing "sufficient license" to run the card.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Just read on another forum that IWW's supposed debut show in the UK last night had to be cancelled due to the local council deeming IWW to be lacing "sufficient license" to run the card.

Can anyone confirm this?

In the last thread, I criticised Flahavan for badmouthing IWW. Turns out I was wrong. Apologies to him, as he was right to warn people off. Not only did they not show up with a ring, but they failed to show up with wrestlers either.

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=114639

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Exit wrote: »
    In the last thread, I criticised Flahavan for badmouthing IWW. Turns out I was wrong. Apologies to him, as he was right to warn people off. Not only did they not show up with a ring, but they failed to show up with wrestlers either.

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=114639

Apology accepted, I did try to warn people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Bingo1

In fairness to IWW, why would they turn up with either a ring
    or wrestlers if the shows had been cancelled?

It seems odd that both venues were cancelled for the same reason
    (if that was the case). Surely IWW would have been told at the time
    of booking the venues that there wasn't a sufficient licence in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Wonder what the turning point for IwW was. Probably a combo of the ring no show and the gym closing down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bingo1 wrote: »
    In fairness to IWW, why would they turn up with either a ring
    or wrestlers if the shows had been cancelled?

But if they knew the show was cancelled why did they not convey this anywhere?
    Wonder what the turning point for IwW was. Probably a combo of the ring no show and the gym closing down.

Neither. It was soemthing beyond their control and that was the start of NLW. NLW took an interest in production values and used good talent from all Irish promotions. IWW wrestlers started to see what was happening there and jumped ship. off the top of my head I can think of Pierre Marceau, Georgie Mac, Dave Zero and even SOS did an appearance for NLW before he moved abraod.

I dont think IWW ever recovered from this. I might be very wide of the mark, but thats what it looked like to me anyway.

I wouldn't say it had much to do with NLW. NLW shows weren't that regular until they went and became AWR, and a lot of their business is outside of Ireland. Even at that, only former NWA Ireland guys seem to get extended work out of it.

IwW still had a decent roster, as well as the odd import and they were touring in counties that NLW never went near.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

2 Day Beginners Pro Wrestling Training Camp - September 19th & 20th 2009

Fight Factory Pro Wrestling
    will host a Beginners 2-day professional wrestling training camp on the 19th & 20th of September 2009.

The focus of this camp is to give new trainees the oppurtunity to come down and learn with other new trainees at their own level, we will focus on the basics, bumping, chain wrestling, slams, suplexs, running the ropes, top-rope moves and matches.

The Camp will start at 12pm on Saturday the 19th and end at 5pm on Sunday the 20th.

The Cost of the camp is €40 for the 2 days. Trainees are allowed to stay overnight in the gym if required. There are also B&B's in the surrounding area.

Following on from this camp, there will be a live professional wrestling show held in the gym.

Any new or inexperienced trainees are welcome to train at this camp. Places are limited to 25 people. To reserve your place please contact us at info@fightfactoryprowrestling.com

please visit www.fightfactoryprowrestling.com for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Some unimpressed people over on the UKFF! Whatever reason the UK shows fell through for (and personally I don't buy the council licence thingy story), it is absolutely remarkable that the IWW rep. didn't bother to tell fans in the UKFF thread that the show had been cancelled. One guy made a two-hour round trip only to discover at the venue that there would be no show on! The mind boggles.

As for IWW's 'turning point'...tbh, I wouldn't say theres been any one turning point for the group; theres been a whole series of dark moments for them really since 2002, things just look worse now because their public relations are in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

7375559197a8857988237l.jpg

It's been six months since ANGRY ANDY has last stepped into a wrestling ring with Irish Whip Wrestling. With a budding career in radio on the horizon as co-host of the 'Anger Management Therapy' show on 92.5 Phoenix FM and iTunes...the 21-year old hung up his wrestling boots (at least temporarily) after 3 years in the business.

However, recently he has pledged to become a 'New Man' and has partaken in such activities as Sky-Diving and Ab Sailing. He will also be learning Hip-Hop Dancing in association with Just Dance in the coming weeks.

These will just serve as a back-drop to his current and most daunting challenge. As now ANDY looks to emulate the success of former WWE Champion and current UFC Champion, Brock Lesnar...with the only difference being that he hopes to do so in the small matter of four days...

Because this Monday 7th September, ANDY will be participating in his first-ever MMA fight in association with MARTIAL ARTS INC (www.martialartsinc.com).

MAI have ran gyms across Dublin for nearly 10 years now, teaching both kickboxing and mixed martial arts. Their head trainer, Robbie Devane, is currently training for his 2nd professional fight in Canada with UFC Welterweight Champion, GEORGE ST PIERRE, among others.

ANDY will have four days of intensive training with kick-boxing black belt MAI coach, Keith Quinn, to get ready for a showdown with one of the Dublin 15 gym's top up-and-coming trainees. He will also hook-up with former wrestling trainer, THE BALLYMUN BRUISER (who has been training in MMA for over a year now) in an effort to get any advice possible. And we'll be recording this every single step of the way.

We'll also be updating via the 'Anger Management Therapy' Facebook page, which you can add by clicking the below link:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Anger-Management-Therapy/109086116397?ref=nf

Plus Keith Quinn and Bruiser will be appearing on Sunday night's show at 10pm on 92.5 Phoenix FM to give ANDY some last minute advice and pre-fight analysis.

The resulting video of ANDY'S training, along with the fight in its entirety, will be available to view on YouTube and via the AMT Facebook from Wednesday onwards. Trust me folks, this is not to be missed...

For info on Martial Arts Inc and the nearest MMA gym to you, check out www.martialartsinc.com.

Andy has just posted a blog about his first two day's training:
    7375559197a8857988237l.jpg

I don’t normally do blogs. Then again I don’t normally do MMA fights either, so I’m guessing I’m expanding horizons by the day in the quest of becoming a new man.

When Rick first told me about my fight on Wednesday, I wasn’t exactly thrilled about it. I loved wrestling, but that’s a completely different field to what I am preparing myself for now. I’ve only gotten into MMA recently with the arrival of Brock Lesnar to be totally honest with you. I had never set foot in to an MMA gym before last night, but the set up in MAI (www.martialartsinc.com) was unbelievable.

d154.JPG
    Martial Arts Inc's Dublin 15 studio

It felt good to be back into a ring again, but seeing the boxing bags, mirrors and all the trophies surrounding the ring made me realise that I was not at home. That I was in somebody else’s garden: around dedicated people who seemed to live and breathe the sport. Although I am a follower of MMA, I am no expert, only a fan and a complete novice to the sport. I knew that I had to give everything in each session to stand any chance in the fight on Monday night.

My first training session involved basic strikes. The repetition of each leg kick reminded me of training back in my pro-wrestling days. It also reminded me the my quad strain was not 100% healed. Despite me getting back to football training on Tuesday with no hitch, the world of MMA brought me back to the physicality of my time in wrestling. I hadn't experienced anything like it in months. After a couple of kicking drills, my quad felt as if it was going to give way again so I had to take a break. Hopefully it holds up on Monday (though you won't hear me using it as an excuse if I lose). Thankfully we moved on the punches from there before learning about clinching and knee strikes.

I was enjoying the class but it was hard. I came to the realisation that there was a lot for me to take in in such a short space of time. But I feel I’m definitely learning and after the private session with my trainer, Keith Quinn, I felt more confident that I could actually pull off an upset come Monday night.

However, my confidence then took a bruising as I participated in the full class straight afterwards. As I watched the guys grapple with each other, it was clearly obvious that, no matter who my opponent would be, he would be far superior to me on all fronts.

We learned some cool submissions in the class and I was fortunate enough to have an old friend from my wrestling, the Ballymun Bruiser, as my training partner, also giving me advice that he had learned during his MMA training. Having Bruiser beside me definitely brought back fond memories of him training me in the past.

10530_126223711397_109086116397_2542726_1436232_n.jpg
    Andy's former wrestling trainer, Ballymun Bruiser, now helping him learn the ropes in MMA.

When the class ended, I realised that I may have stumbled onto a new passion. I truly enjoyed the class and could not wait until this morning's session. But before I left, I was introduced the man I will be fighting on Monday night. He did indeed stand out in the training, but my main focus right now is getting as much as I can out of the next session. I will have more than enough time to think about the fight on Monday.

In my second training session, I learned more about take downs and some more ground submissions, including the arm bar which reminded of Chuck Norris applying it in ‘Walker, Texas Ranger.’ Yep, couldn’t help but sneak a Chuck Norris reference in there.

I was happy that I was able to remember the techniques of what I had learned the previous night and apply them in another enjoyable session. My trainer, Keith has been a great help thus far, going through each move that he feels will help me. Time is certainly not on my side.

Maybe I am over my head on this one. But I’ve been a follower of MMA, UFC in particular, long enough to know that upsets can and do happen. One mistake can lose a fight. I haven’t wrestled properly in over a year, and my opponent will be far more experienced than me. But when I think about it, I feel no pressure at all. Maybe it’s because I’m taking this in a step by step process to prepare for the fight. But the real reason I feel so calm is that there's no expectations. Are four days truly enough to pull off a win, no matter how well I’ve be taught?

My opponent will know this and with all his peers watching, he’ll damn sure be thinking about it. He’ll want to show that you can’t just have a few training classes and beat someone who has been doing it a lot longer.

Make no mistake about it, I am not going out to lose. I hate losing in anything. I know that I am the big time underdog and I would have it no other way. If I go into the fight with the mindset that he is better than me, and that I haven’t got a chance, then the fight is as good as over. I will give everything I got and ya never know what can happen in the fight.

Wish me luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Irish Stunner

that all pretty well and a nice story but what has it got to do with irish wrestling promotions ? i think your on the wrong thread.

Since it's a story about two pro-wrestlers in Ireland...I figured it would be of interest to those wanting to read about Irish pro-wrestling...

Mods can feel free to move it though. Up to them. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

leggo wrote: »
    Since it's a story about two pro-wrestlers in Ireland...I figured it would be of interest to those wanting to read about Irish pro-wrestling...

Mods can feel free to move it though. Up to them. :)

mods plural :confused::pac:

im fine with it here, maybe the MMA boys would be interested too but thats not my concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NeilFrenzy4Ever

Would it be fair to say that Angry Andy is the greatest IWW Superstar ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

No. No it's not.

Is that you Forbes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Irish Stunner

well as far as i know this is for promotion talk only and not for talking about wrestlers individually just letting you know man cause would hate to see you get a ban you make this page interesting

so has anyone got any info on any show happening over the coming months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FFPW_Dean

FFPW will have a gym show on 20th September in the Fight Factory, more news closer to the date.

The show will be the conclusion to a beginners training camp, for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tommy Ref

Wrestling.IE will be having a show in Larne on the 11th Sept and the 12th in Armagh

Tommy Ref wrote: »
    Wrestling.IE will be having a show in Larne on the 11th Sept and the 12th in Armagh

Wow, The Whole Ref'n Show on our very own forums!

Thought it was about time I started posting had this account long enough haha

Wrestling.IE will also be in Bangor on the 25th Sept and Fivemiletown on the 26th heres the website if you want more info www.wrestling.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

welcome tommy,good to see you refin ur ass of still.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

Well I never post here but now that 'THE' Tommy the Ref is here Im gonna be on every single day.

Im your biggest fan Tommy.
    I love your work and your scent.

• Advertisement

The scent from that Justin Shape fellow is better trust me and the headbands are even better :P haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement