Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby Names

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I dunno, having a strange name myself it does grate when someone won't take the time to learn how to pronounce my name.

It's not that people are morons, but their impatience is, well, mean. We don't pick our names, our parents do, so if it's unusual it's not our choosing. We shouldn't have to put up with people casually disregarding our identity because it doesn't suit them!

Maybe one day we'll all have a unique identifier like a barcode or something.

"Hi- I'm thx1138, nice to meet you" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

newmug wrote: »
    If you have a weird name, but you're not from Ireland, thats ok. But there's no need to call people morons just because they pronounce your strange name their way.

Ah come on now. They are very basic pronunciations. I am from Ireland so no strange accent and none of my names were exactly strange now, were they!

If people here could say Annunciata, Philomena, Tadgh, Pheilim, and a host of other fairly difficult names they could hardly have a problem with Nini, or Gab versus Gay, could they? It's not comparable to some Polish names for instance. You just wanted to have a go because I used the word native in conjunction with being sent to school in Ireland. Admit it. :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ah come on now. They are very basic pronunciations. I am from Ireland so no strange accent and none of my names were exactly strange now, were they!

If people here could say Annunciata, Philomena, Tadgh, Pheilim, and a host of other fairly difficult names they could hardly have a problem with Nini, or Gab versus Gay, could they? It's not comparable to some Polish names for instance. You just wanted to have a go because I used the word native in conjunction with being sent to school in Ireland. Admit it. :D:D

GAB-rielle is a weird name in Ireland. I've never heard of it. All those other names you quoted are not weird in Ireland. Now if you asked someone in America to pronounce Tadgh, they too would see it as weird.

You say you are from Ireland, yet from your posts, you didnt start off going to school here, and you refer to Irish people as "natives". So I presume that you lived elsewhere for a while. Its not inconceivable then that you DO have an accent, even if you dont notice it. People adjust words to their own accents. You would pronounce coke as cowke if you were from Dublin, and as cooowik if you were from Cork. That doesnt make you a moron.

4944-gabrielle-1b.jpg

You've never heard of Gabrielle? Remember this 90's songstress and her famous 1993 #1 hit Dreams?

The name is french in origin. A huge percentage of people do french in school. They would recognise the "elle" ending of Gab-ri-elle. It's hardly neurosurgery!

Not to mention the well-known desperate housewives character Gabrielle played by the beloved Eva Longoria Parker. Her nickname is Gabby! Emphasis on the B!

I call shenanigans on you sir/madam! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If you have a weird name, but you're not from Ireland, thats ok. But there's no need to call people morons just because they pronounce your strange name their way.

I think you'll find Gabrielle and Gabriel are two different names. Why should she have to put up with people calling her the wrong name? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Eviledna wrote: »
    4944-gabrielle-1b.jpg

You've never heard of Gabrielle? Remember this 90's songstress and her famous 1993 #1 hit Dreams?

The name is french in origin. A huge percentage of people do french in school. They would recognise the "elle" ending of Gab-ri-elle. It's hardly neurosurgery!

Not to mention the well-known desperate housewives character Gabrielle played by the beloved Eva Longoria Parker. Her nickname is Gabby! Emphasis on the B!

I call shenanigans on you sir/madam! :)

I've heard of her, but I've never heard the name GAB-rielle being used as a first-name in Ireland. I'm sure you've heard of BA Barrachus, but do you know any babies called that?:rolleyes:

And I've never watched desperate housewives in my life

I've heard of her, but I've never heard the name GAB-rielle being used as a first-name in Ireland.

Is it possible, just possible, that you may not be familliar with something that many people are famillar with so? Therefore your judgement of the name Gabrielle as "a weird name in Ireland" might be based upon the misguided notion that what you know is all that there is to know regarding baby-girl names?

It doesn't take long to listen to someone's name, remember the pronunciation, and if it's new to you think, "hmm, that's a new one", instead of thinking "That doesn't match my acceptable list of pronunciations! I will call them whatever comes out of my mouth".
    :rolleyes:

Eviledna wrote: »
    Is it possible, just possible, that you may not be familliar with something that many people are famillar with so? Therefore your judgement of the name Gabrielle as "a weird name in Ireland" might be based upon the misguided notion that what you know is all that there is to know regarding baby-girl names?

It doesn't take long to listen to someone's name, remember the pronunciation, and if it's new to you think, "hmm, that's a new one", instead of thinking "That doesn't match my acceptable list of pronunciations! I will call them whatever comes out of my mouth".
    :rolleyes:

It is possible, but very unlikely. I have been around long enough, and I am 99.999999999999% sure that the name gabrielle, pronounced as GABrielle, is not a common first name in Ireland.

That still doesnt give anyone the right to call someone else a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It is possible, but very unlikely. I have been around long enough, and I am 99.999999999999% sure that the name gabrielle, pronounced as GABrielle, is not a common first name in Ireland.

I know someone called Gabrielle, I thought it was a fairly common name myself, Gabrielle for a woman, Gabriel for a guy.

I work in a call centre so people do get antsy about the pronunciation of their names when you say it the way its spelt instead of the way they want it said. Michael instead of Mee-hall, Kee-ran instead of Kee-Rawn, that kinda thing.
    Luckily my first name is easy to pronounce,although people always spell it wrong, I before E except after C my hole :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know at least 3 different Gabrielles. It's not particularly common, but it's not so uncommon that it's unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

GAB-rielle is a weird name in Ireland. I've never heard of it. All those other names you quoted are not weird in Ireland. Now if you asked someone in America to pronounce Tadgh, they too would see it as weird.

You say you are from Ireland, yet from your posts, you didnt start off going to school here, and you refer to Irish people as "natives". So I presume that you lived elsewhere for a while. Its not inconceivable then that you DO have an accent, even if you dont notice it. People adjust words to their own accents. You would pronounce coke as cowke if you were from Dublin, and as cooowik if you were from Cork. That doesnt make you a moron.

my mams name is Gabrielle:D and she's Irish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My poor mate Ciaran has been called Cy-ah-ran by many a foreign worker who ends up reading his name!
    My mate Fiona goes as Noni, as in No-knee. It suits her down to the ground, no one calls her Fiona anymore.
    My name is Leah and it gets mispronounced ALL THE TIME! I get called Lay-ah, but honestly how many Lay-ahs do people know, surely they know of far more Lee-ahs?!

I must say I do like the name Mercedes :D

EDIT: My post looks weird, my my my. But they all needed new lines, sorry.

I knew it! It's definitely the native thing that has you ratty. :D

The only accent I have is what I've been told is a 'posh' Irish accent because I pronounce my T's and Th's. I don't need a right to call other people morons, any more than I need a right to call someone clever or beautiful. I've spent enough time standing with people and repeating Gab and hearing Gay said back to me to know a moron when I see one, especially if the person isn't wearing an obvious hearing aid. Morons!

Actually there's a good, unusual name that would suit a lot of people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AngelDust2

The only accent I have is what I've been told is a 'posh' Irish accent because I pronounce my T's and Th's. I don't need a right to call other people morons, any more than I need a right to call someone clever or beautiful. I've spent enough time standing with people and repeating Gab and hearing Gay said back to me to know a moron when I see one, especially if the person isn't wearing an obvious hearing aid. Morons!

Pronouncing your Ts as THs isnt posh! infact its become very common nowadays and is quite sickening when i hear it.
    I mean, if u wanna sound posh, you can without butchering the language and ending up sounding pretty vain and dim-witted!! :rolleyes:

On the OP.... i ve always liked the name "piper".

Twee. wrote: »
    My poor mate Ciaran has been called Cy-ah-ran by many a foreign worker who ends up reading his name!
    My ex gets the same sometimes, but what annoys him more is "Keiran". Different names people!
    My name is Leah and it gets mispronounced ALL THE TIME! I get called Lay-ah, but honestly how many Lay-ahs do people know, surely they know of far more Lee-ahs?!
    Princess Lay-ah! :D

I knew it! It's definitely the native thing that has you ratty. :D

So you go around and call some people morons, and other people ratty, because they get your name wrong, eventhough it is YOU who has the unusual name. See parents, choose your babies' name carefully, it does have an effect on your child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

krudler wrote: »
    I work in a call centre so people do get antsy about the pronunciation of their names when you say it the way its spelt instead of the way they want it said. Michael instead of Mee-hall, Kee-ran instead of Kee-Rawn, that kinda thing.

Duno about the michael thing, mícheal is a different name. Always made me rolleyes to see fan pages for "micheal jackson". Can't be much of a fan if you can't even get his name correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I always planned on calling any future daughter Isobel, as that's my mum-in-law's name and she's lovely. It's off the cards now though, there are six Isobels aged between 1 and 3 in my tiny village alone :(. I blame Twilight and Grey's Anatomy.

On top of that we called our son a fairly normal name that wouldn't be very common in Ireland, after a great uncle, and then the name gets into the top ten out of nowhere. Annoying. Not that I need to be unique or anything, it's just a pain when a classic name I've always liked becomes painfully trendy.

Think we'll end up going with Bridget or Nora or Anne or something if we do have a girl, hardly anyone calls their daughters those names anymore.

AngelDust2 wrote: »
    Pronouncing your Ts as THs isnt posh! infact its become very common nowadays and is quite sickening when i hear it.
    I mean, if u wanna sound posh, you can without butchering the language and ending up sounding pretty vain and dim-witted!! :rolleyes:

I didn't say that I have one but that I have been told that is what I have. Why do you find it sickening to hear people using letters that are meant to be used. How is saying cat instead of ca going to make someone sound vain and dim-witted! :eek:
    So you go around and call some people morons, and other people ratty, because they get your name wrong, eventhough it is YOU who has the unusual name. See parents, choose your babies' name carefully, it does have an effect on your child.

Ha! I'm going to take it now that you are speaking tongue-in-cheek. :)

There are some lovely names out there which are not too strange sounding or foreign to the tongue but it takes a bit of research to find them. However, there are some which you just wouldn't land a child with. My friend overheard two girls on the bus in Dublin a few years ago, one of whom was giving out because the priest was baulking at christening her daughter Fraulein. She was of the opinion that because it was such a common German name that he was just being difficult. She also mentioned her other two children named Pierre and Orlando! Maybe she was one of the 'boy named sue' brigade. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Talking of THs, I heard somebody saying 'Brown THomas' the other day, really weird hearing the Gaelic TH pronounced in the name Thomas.
    (The H in Brown Thomas is meant to be completly silent).

Honorary Lady for a day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

apparently I'm posh as I say three instead of tree, "tree of dem tings dere" *shudder*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The only accent I have is what I've been told is a 'posh' Irish accent because I pronounce my T's and Th's.
    AngelDust2 wrote: »
    I didn't say that I have one but that I have been told that is what I have. Why do you find it sickening to hear people using letters that are meant to be used. How is saying cat instead of ca going to make someone sound vain and dim-witted! :eek:

Hang on, hang on.
    up for anything said pronouncing Ts AND THs. I assume this means pronouncing them correctly so you say "I taught" as taut and not "thought" :p
    Or talk, not thalk, etc.
    AngelDust thinks that was Ts as THs which would be a different matter (tirthy tree and a tird :D ), and it IS annoying.

Ok I think everything is cleared up now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

My Friend is having a baby soon and if its a girl she is calling it Cora!
    I think it is just such a sweet name!! Nice And Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I almost got called Lena Claire. I like it and think I might use it if I ever have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I almost got called indigo moon, no lie! parents are real hippies! my mother now regrets not calling me indigo moon considering i turned out "arty and hippyish" as she says! really wouldve loved that name :(

I almost got called Aengus...until I popped out without a willy.

Apparently I kicked so much my mam thought I was gonna be a great footballer.

Nope, just a lazy unsporty gal. Never liked that name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

I've heard a few dire names lately..

Beckham
    Dion
    Sunday
    Cleo
    Success (Parents are Nigerian but that's no excuse!)
    I've seen Michael spelt as Mykal :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ok I think everything is cleared up now :D

Good woman, yourself. :D

I had an ex that was going to be Toby, but when he was born "didn't look like a Toby". Lucky guy!

I was going to be Catherine, actually, but I was born with a rare condition the doctors knew nothing about, whisked me away and told my mother I wasn't going to live. So they gave me her name.

16 years later, and when my boyfriend rings looking for me, my brother puts my mother on the phone, yeah, great name to have. My mother did say that she would never have named a child the same as a parent cept "You weren't suppose to live to 16 and have a boyfriend!!"

Wish she'd stop opening my bank statements though. She has no excuse, I go by Ms. and she goes by Mrs. She's lying when she says it was accidental! Also my brother keeps forwarding on post to me from Specsavers and Breast Check which have nowt to do with me!

Think twice before naming a child after yourself!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement