Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby Names

Options
  • 01-10-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

What is the weirdest baby name you know??? Lots of people calling their kids Jack and Ava, but anyone heard any really weird ones lately... I started this thread for the laugh - lets see how it goes!!!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Heard of a kid called Yvonne once.

Yvonne doesn't sound too obscure. But the mother pronounced it "Yeh-ven-eeeee" cos she read it in a buuuuuk!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Similarly I know two little girls called SIGH-OH-BAN (Siobhan).

I also know a kid called Dallas, although he must be in his mid-twenties at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

the name mave spelt meabhdh is strange....irish names spelt strangely are hard to pronounce anyway...especially fiachra....which sounds like fiaccla in irish meaning teeth....:rolleyes: i dunno...i prefer easy to pronounce names...avoides awkward social situations...we had an american teacher who couldnt pronounce niamh...." NIAM....with a h?? " haha was funny though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Placenta.

The other day I heard a mother calling a little boy. What was she shouting "Vader!" ...as in Darth
    WHO THE EFF NAMES THEIR CHILD THAT!?!
    I'd heard Anakin before, which was weird enough. But at least it's from before he turned into space Hitler O.o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Interested in this thread, I'm thinking of names at the mo so I can use this a list to avoid :p

I've heard the Sigh-o-ban one before too.. poor kiddies, you'd think the parents would have done a little bit more research on the name.

Maybe not too weird but I know of one little girl called Beau ( I think it means beauty or something) which will be fine until the kids get to school and start learning Irish. One of the first words the will learn is bó and the poor thing will become the butt of the jokes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Was on Luas and heard a father call his litle boy Remy.

Thought it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The other day I heard a mother calling a little boy. What was she shouting "Vader!" ...as in Darth
    WHO THE EFF NAMES THEIR CHILD THAT!?!
    I'd heard Anakin before, which was weird enough. But at least it's from before he turned into space Hitler O.o

I would :D

Awesome kid has awesome name.

I hate when people pronounce their regular sounding name with a phony pronounication, Patricia pronounced Pat-ree-see-ah, stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

maple wrote: »

Thought it was cool.

Wonder would he call his daughter Martini!

/i kill me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I went to school with a guy named Jor-El. Pretty much the coolest name ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

I heard a parent calling their kids in from the street when I was in a mates house. 2 girls called Paris and Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Where I work there are three 'Troys' a 'Gerrard' (not Gerard) 'Shakira' 'Kanika' 'Romano,' lots more but I can't be too specific without badmouthing individuals on the internet.

Also during the summer I worked with a bunch of children from Ghana and Nigera, alot of them have what I would consider very 'quirky' names like Precious, Angel, Wilson.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Jules wrote: »
    Wonder would he call his daughter Martini!

/i kill me!

Jules!! That was dreadful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

maple wrote: »

Thought it was cool.

One of the organisers of the children to lapland appeal is called Remy, his not from irish parentage and is between 30 and 40 years old. It's probably a common name in another country.

french origin

The boy's name Remy \r(e)-

my\, also used as girl's name Remy, is of French origin, and the meaning of Remy is "from Rheims". Champagne and brandies are the main products of Rheims, a town in central France. Saint Remi (fifth century) was a French saint. Author Remy Charlip.

Remy has 7 variant forms: Remee, Remi, Remie, Remmey, Remmy, Remo and Remy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My sister had a friend in school called Candida.

We used to refer to her as Ms Albicans... :eek:

See also...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

On the train last week there was an incredibly annoying self proclaimed yummy mummy whose kids were running riot in their River Island and Baby Gap get up, and she kept calling them "Felix!" and "Rufus"!! "Teddy" who was the baby in the Cath Kidston designed buggy was shoving raisins into his gob by the chubby handful while the other two were very, very annoying and noisy. She seemed oblivious and thought that occasionally shouting out their ridiculous names was enough to quiet them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

a lady from my sons school is spanish, she called her son ebay (pronounced eeboy) but spelt just like the auction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

There was a guy is can my class in school whose name was Ramone. His sister was called Caira as in Ciara.

Dealing with African customers they have some really quirky names, Happiness was one, thats just awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

she kept calling them "Felix!" and "Rufus"!!

I quite like Felix actually myself. I know a girl called "Chevonne" (Siobhan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I went to school with a girl named Mariwanna. Other kids in school were Crystal Bell and Precious. My parents were hippies so I also grew up with several friends named Rainbow, Skye, Lief and Honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Twins called Pagan and Christian.

Also came across someone called Le-a, (Le dasha)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Know someone who called their little girl Ashanti :eek:
    Heard the name Neveah knocking around too (Its Heaven backwards, pronnounced Nev-ay-ah) I cant figure out if I like it or not.

Heard a woman calling her little son in a shop one day, his name was Massimo. The father may have been foreign although the child looked very typically Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

[QUOTE=-Leelo-;68287697
    Heard the name Neveah knocking around too (Its Heaven backwards, pronnounced Nev-ay-ah) I cant figure out if I like it or not.
    [/QUOTE]

There was a girl on MTV's '16 and pregnant' who called her daughter that.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

There was a girl on MTV's '16 and pregnant' who called her daughter that.

Haven't seen that one, although I do love that show! Yeah I know three women with baby girls called Neveah, it just seems to have cropped up in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Ha, ha that's my username and as it happens I got my inspiration from that episode of '16 and pregnant'!! I had watched it the day that I signed up to boards! I couldn't think of anything else at the time and it popped into my head, I thought it was a pretty name but I don't know if I'd call a baby that in real life.

I actually spelt it wrong though, I spelt it more like how it's pronounced. It should be Nevaeh (heaven backwards). Anyway apparantly it is becoming a very popular name in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

-Leelo- wrote: »
    Know someone who called their little girl Ashanti :eek:

There's a boards user Nevaeh-to-die for, named after his daughter Nevaeh.

On the African point, I have taught a Destiny (boy) Purity, Blessing and Immaculate. I've met a Queenie too; that's pretty cool!

Where I work at the moment, it's 75% children with foreign parents and we have some very cool names. My fave is Lorenzo.

My most hated are Jordan and Nikita. It's NOT a girl's name!!

I know a little boy called Bhailie (Bailey). His parents wanted an Irish name, and found out that Baile means "home", and misunderstanding what the h was doing in sa bhaile, and thinking it's pronounced "Bailey", went with that. Of course the kid will probably be called bhaile as pronounced in Irish the whole way through school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My 4 year old cousin is called Fifi. I've often wanted to know what the hell was going through my aunt's mind when she chose that name for her little girl. It sounds like something you'd call a cat or rabbit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement