Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby Names

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

not sure if this is definitely true, but apparently there was a lady gaga mccarthy christened recently in tralee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

I recently heard of a teen mother who named their son (born two months ago) Jedward!!

Noni, Koko and Tameeka Patrice are among the worst I've heard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I recently heard of a teen mother who named their son (born two months ago) Jedward!!

Noni?
    "Hey nonny nonny"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

bluewolf wrote: »
    Noni?
    "Hey nonny nonny"?

It's pronounced No- nee. Equally stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

There's a child I've heard of with the name "Elvis Presley". I can't remember the surname, but the parents are both Irish. His little sister is called "Scarlett O'Hara" and whatever surname they have!

Now I personally really like the name Scarlett, but I'm not going to add O'Hara on as a middle name!

Have also come across the name India (again Irish parents), Somer (although the name really suits that child both looks & personality wise) and Coran (for a boy, it's a lovely name, but I'd never heard it before I cam across the child).

• Advertisement

Myself and the partner aren't planning on having kids this year, maybe later, but have already decided on James for a boy or Christine for a girl. Should I tell him I prefer Joquaim Phoenix St John of Gods (plus surname) or Lady Princess Polkadot Aragon Wexford, or something?

I don't want my kids to be bullied in school for having ordinary names like James or Christine.

mariebeth wrote: »
    There's a child I've heard of with the name "Elvis Presley". I can't remember the surname,

James Dean Bradfield, lead singer of the Manic Street Preachers, had a lucky escape when his mother put her foot down to Clint Eastwood Bradfield.

True story. See what his parents did there instead? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lady Princess Polkadot Aragon Wexford
    Brilliant. Name. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

What do people think of Alice for a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I work with a fella called Aladdin. He's mid twenties and endures merciless teasing due to his name.
    Went to school with a girl who has two kids, britney & shakira.
    The latest trend seems to be McKenzie - for both boys and girls in my area/workplace.

Alice is nice, simple yet can't be shortened.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Brilliant. Name. :D
    Thank you, I'm thinking of trying it out on a cat first, and if the cat doesn't kill me in my sleep or run away and never come home, I'll be assured that a child with the same name wouldn't do those things either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Novella wrote: »
    I really like the name Scarlett... :o

Me too. I know three sisters called Saffron, Scarlett and Jasmine, I think they're all beautiful names and they really suit the three girls!

They have a foreign surname though that works really well with the names ... I don't think "Saffron Doyle" or "Jasmine Murphy" would work quite as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There was a guy is can my class in school whose name was Ramone. His sister was called Caira as in Ciara.

My neighbours have four children, two girls Ramone and Feva and two boys Arrowe and Emba. Their dog is called Jason :D
    -Leelo- wrote: »
    Heard a woman calling her little son in a shop one day, his name was Massimo. The father may have been foreign although the child looked very typically Irish.

There's a Massimo in the school I work in. Parents are Irish. His brother and sister got regular names. There's another lad called Waylon. Poor fella. Another one that springs to mind is a girl called Tonichia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

oh man, as a Niamh living in new zealand, im almost sick of my name. for the most part now im known as and just answer to Knee, though my flatmate's taken to calling me Nymph, and Neeam is another common one. Nee-a-muhuh is another gud'n. everyone now and then it comes up in conversation at a party, all you can hear is my boyfreind from a corner shouting 'where's the V?!'.

I'm Niamh as well and when I answer the phone in work and say my name, I regularly get "hi Leah/Liz/Gillian" in return, WTF, they don't sound anything alike!

The most common I get when I'm abroad is Niam, so now if I say my name and am asked to spell it, I just say N-E-V-E it's just easier :rolleyes:.

I used to hate my name, but as I get older, I am proud of having an Irish name, I think I would def name my kids with Irish names.

I have no problem with unusual names, but some of them are very 'of a time' for example, how many 12 year old Britneys running around now, or 8 year old Shakira's? Apparently Pocohontas was really popular when the movie came out :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

What do people think of Alice for a girl?

I like it. :) It reminds me of the song, 'Living Next Door to Alice', think my mum or dad used to sing it around the house, I dunno. Like the name though.

Alice is a nice name! Old fashioned names are the best in my opinion. And having a nice, simple name is becoming the unusual now ;)

On the discussion of Irish names, I've got a good old common Irish name... Deirdre. My mother has the same name. We collect and compare the many, many misspellings of it we encounter. Diedre is the most common. Derdra is less usual. Diedrie comes out often enough. There are plenty...

Have an English boyfriend who is forbidden from using my name, he calls me Dee and that's as far as he's allowed go ;) I LOATH Deirdreeee with passion. He also had the nerve to tell me "Yeah but it's not Irish is it? Just an English name with an Irish spelling?"

Speaking of that, I notice Déirdre de Burcá has gained a fada in her first name... where did she find that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I much prefer DeirdrA, than DeirdrEEE. Irish names rule. :)
    (EDIT: Except the phony made-up type ones!) I know someone called 'Éabha', pronounced as 'Ava', like Ava Gardner. She must have to spend her life spelling her name out for people as I would assume most people would write down 'Ava' upon hearing it spoken aloud. And it'd be a nightmare when abroad- even most Irish people would be like "wait, it's spelled how??!"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd like Luke as a boys name, because it'd get him off to an early start as a Star Wars fan :pac:

Abigayle is a nice girls name, old fashioned but still cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Alice is nice, simple yet can't be shortened.

Ali? Al?, Lee? Lees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

God I really hate most of the names that have been mentioned so far- and funnily enough, most of the names that I hear of children being born around now! It's like everyone is trying too hard to be quirky or different. I can understand that to a certain extent, but many of the ones that are popping up now are often verging on the ridiculous.

I like Irish names, but only ones that don't sound like they're trying too hard and resemble "Uachtar Reoite O Suilleabhan". I tend to like simple names that aren't faddish. I absolutely cannot stand flower names for girls- Rose, Daisy, Violet, Lily, etc- bleugh!!!

I'm a teacher and it's funny how you get the same names in the classes that were obviously popular at the time of the students' birth- in first year there are a crazy amount of Rachels, Katys, Alices, Lucys, Sarahs, Megans and Aoifes. Definitely names go through phases so I can understand parents wanting to avoid going for the "popular" choice, but sometimes there's a tendency to be different to the point of ridiculousness.

• Advertisement

There should be a book of ordinary names, just normal, non-ridiculous names. It should be the LAW to pick one from that book for your child.

Some countries have a system like that... a Danish friend found a list of names that had been rejected in Denmark last year, Ikea was one of them.... my mother said there's something similiar in Argentina, she met a little girl there called Deirdre, one parent was Irish - they had to prove that it was a genuine name before they could use it for their daughter. Not sure how the Catholic church works with baptisms and stuff now, in the 80s I know my parents had to add a Christian name for me (because I only have Deirdre on my birth cert and it's pagan), another friend told me that although she's Kate on her birth cert, she had to be baptised Catherine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

newmug wrote: »
    There should be a book of ordinary names, just normal, non-ridiculous names. It should be the LAW to pick one from that book for your child.

Not here, try Denmark http://www.perfect-baby-names.com/Danish-baby-names-article.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm not sure how you spell it but it's pronounced Quan-eesh-ah :D

She was on my Maury with 7 "Could be the daddy's" None of them were though hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some countries have a system like that... a Danish friend found a list of names that had been rejected in Denmark last year, Ikea was one of them.... my mother said there's something similiar in Argentina, she met a little girl there called Deirdre, one parent was Irish - they had to prove that it was a genuine name before they could use it for their daughter. Not sure how the Catholic church works with baptisms and stuff now, in the 80s I know my parents had to add a Christian name for me (because I only have Deirdre on my birth cert and it's pagan), another friend told me that although she's Kate on her birth cert, she had to be baptised Catherine.

Well birth certs and baptismal certs are two completely different things. A baptismal cert really isn't worth the paper it's written on. You can't get ID with it etc. I know of a good few people that say when they were getting baptised and they were called say, Laura Sharon the priest would say 'you can't call her that, how about Laura Bridget or Laura Ann or Laura Catherine' etc etc, I wonder how much of it was just chancing their arm and would they have gone with the name if the parents insisted. After all it was a legally registered name.

I think there is a ban on ridiculous names in France as well, hence all the Jean-Christophes and Chantals etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

In college many moons ago there was a guy in my class whose first name was St John (Pronounced Sin-Gin).

Thought it was a joke when I heard it first.

Kinda suited him though..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I know a toddler called Neeha. I can’t wait until she starts learning Irish and her parents realise that they called their daughter ‘It isn’t’ in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's pronounced No- nee. Equally stupid!

Really? Why?

My sister's name is Leonie and we shorten it to Nonie (No-nee) some of the time. Nobody has ever found it odd or offensive.

On the other hand, when I was but a new baby and my brother couldn't pronounce my name he used to call me Nini (prounced knee-knee) which stuck as a nick name with the result that when we were sent to school in Ireland, the natives morphed it to Ninny. After 12 years stuck with that I put my foot down and demanded to be called by my name, Gabrielle. Unfortunately, most people only hear what they expect to hear with the result that I got called Gabriel. Even when corrected the thickos didn't get it.

"What's your name?"

"Gabrielle."

"Gabriel."

"No, GAB-rielle."

"Yes, GAY-briel." Allways accompanied by a blank look of incomprehension.

Morons. :mad:

Really? Why?

My sister's name is Leonie and we shorten it to Nonie (No-nee) some of the time. Nobody has ever found it odd or offensive.

On the other hand, when I was but a new baby and my brother couldn't pronounce my name he used to call me Nini (prounced knee-knee) which stuck as a nick name with the result that when we were sent to school in Ireland, the natives morphed it to Ninny. After 12 years stuck with that I put my foot down and demanded to be called by my name, Gabrielle. Unfortunately, most people only hear what they expect to hear with the result that I got called Gabriel. Even when corrected the thickos didn't get it.

"What's your name?"

"Gabrielle."

"Gabriel."

"No, GAB-rielle."

"Yes, GAY-briel." Allways accompanied by a blank look of incomprehension.

Morons. :mad:

If you have a weird name, but you're not from Ireland, thats ok. But there's no need to call people morons just because they pronounce your strange name their way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

newmug wrote: »
    If you have a weird name, but you're not from Ireland, thats ok. But there's no need to call people morons just because they pronounce your strange name their way.

+1

That was a bit harsh. It could have been your accent that they didn't get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement