Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Ireland Graduates for International Growth- G4IG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

hey, I got invited to the assessment centre next week. I'm a little worried about the presentation and how to go about preparing for that...

which Irish company did you guys choose?
    did they ask much about this company?
    any idea where to research the 'key opportunities and challenges facing Irish SME's when selling into international markets' as well as the '3 ways will you assist your company in accessing these opportunities in a international market'.

i've been researching on the enterprise ireland website, but not much there to be honest. It's been a while since i graduated from college so not as prepared as i should be.

any help much appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 KennoD

Hey guys,

I have the assessment centre on Wednesday, seems tricky enough especially as my academic background is not business/commerce etc. Anyone else in the same boat re academic qualifications? I wonder am I wasting my time going up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭scarface22

KennoD wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have the assessment centre on Wednesday, seems tricky enough especially as my academic background is not business/commerce etc. Anyone else in the same boat re academic qualifications? I wonder am I wasting my time going up!

Not at all. I have a social science degree and think I did ok. There was also plenty of graduates with engineering and science degrees so it doesn't matter what your academic background is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 KennoD

Cheers Scarface22, appreciate the reassurance! Good luck with the rest of the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

seems tricky enough especially as my academic background is not business/commerce etc. Anyone else in the same boat re academic qualifications? I wonder am I wasting my time going up!

I am wondering the same myself!!! :confused:

I did engineering so I have not got a clue what I'm gonna do for this presentation i.e. - "The challenges facing Irish SME's selling in international markets".

• Advertisement

greenbrain wrote: »
    I am wondering the same myself!!! :confused:

I did engineering so I have not got a clue what I'm gonna do for this presentation i.e. - "The challenges facing Irish SME's selling in international markets".

Come on! You don't need to be a rocket scientist or a straight-A business student to work this stuff out. Pick up a newspaper or watch the news...its pretty self-evident.

- Economic Uncertainty
    - Currency Risks
    - Language Barriers

That's just 3. I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

JoePie wrote: »
    You're given a timetable, and you'll see that things aren't necissarily in that order, if that makes any difference to you. The presentation and the interview will always be together. Just means that you could be done by 1pm, or you could be sitting around doing nothing for a few hours.

Nothing else you really need to know. Make sure to read the bottles of water. Got tricked by a bottle of sparkling water. Hate that stuff. You can't prepare for anything other than the presentation and the interview to an extent.

The writing part was the toughest for me. Just bottled it hard.
    My day went similar enough to JoePie. Bottled the written, had straight competency based questions. Loved the sparkling water though, always have

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

Hey everyone, I often look at boards but never post. I am sickened after finding this thread though. Been glued to my emails everyday waiting for an interview time. No joy. Does anyone know if everyone that is going to be interviewed has been called already??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

No idea. They're going on this week anyway. Some people got the call days before, some only seemed to get it the day before.

Hey everyone, I often look at boards but never post. I am sickened after finding this thread though. Been glued to my emails everyday waiting for an interview time. No joy. Does anyone know if everyone that is going to be interviewed has been called already??
    No idea, I got call Sunday evening for an interview Tuesday

• Advertisement

Last interview is the 18th I think. Some people got calls on the day before so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Has anybody applied to the Famleigh Fellowship as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sb88

Received an invitation to the assessment centre this week but like some of the earlier posters do not have a commerce/business background (civil engineering). I had assumed that there would be positions of various types in the companies involved - emailed G4IG today to ask if there were technical/non-business roles but was only told that the companies wanted persons with mixed skills. Not sure that its worth continuing with the application if the job would be completely unrelated to my degree - the presentation topic has highlighted that for me. Are we supposed to assume that we would work for any existing Irish company or give examples of an Irish company that has taken advantage of international opportunities using particular methods? The whole brief seems vague to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2010claire

Hi sc, All the roles are related to business development though people with lots of different degrees at the assessment centre. The key thing is you need to be willing and prepared to train to take a business role (so not a technical role). If you get in you also do a Diploma in Business Development. So you going for it?

Is the Presentation based on a hypothetical scenario or do you present opportunities for a specific company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CathalThomas

From what I know, you have to interpret the question as you see it. So basically could be either way if that helps. Dont think there is a right/wrong way to answer it.

Just wondering does every group get the same topic to discuss and to detail your own strategy, or are there numerous topics? Any help on this would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

scarface22 wrote: »
    Last interview is the 18th I think. Some people got calls on the day before so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Has anybody applied to the Famleigh Fellowship as well?

Cheers for the info. Still no word so looks bad. Ah well on to the next thing! I am accepted for the EOP too. Differed it last year to do my masters.

Hey,

Just a quick question about choosing an existing Irish company as an example for the presentation. I'm sure this is not a really important part of it, but how did it figure into your presentation? was it a major part and were many questions asked about the company/sector? as in is research required, or just mention a company in this regard?

thanks

rivers wrote: »
    Hey,

Just a quick question about choosing an existing Irish company as an example for the presentation. I'm sure this is not a really important part of it, but how did it figure into your presentation? was it a major part and were many questions asked about the company/sector? as in is research required, or just mention a company in this regard?

thanks
    Up to you really, they didn't grill me on my company at all but were very sure to note it

ok, thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenyes

:-)

I just saw this whole thread now! ...after doing the assessment centre already. Sad times.

The advice and details of what happens though are very accurate so anyone who finds this thread before their interview will find it a big help.

And I wouldn't worry about degree background...
    Mine is in Textile Design... a lot of people seemed to be people working in graduate jobs with masters and even in come case, second masters... but like, i think if they call us to interview they're happy enough with our background and it's more about how you perform on the day that matters so don't be intimidated by what other people have academically, and at the same time, don't think that having a strong academic background will make it any easier for you. :-)

• Advertisement

brenyes wrote: »
    :-)

I just saw this whole thread now! ...after doing the assessment centre already.

What kind of questions came up at the interview?....was it mostly competency based?
    Like giving them examples of times when you demonstrated your (communication, organisation, initiative, teamwork etc..) skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenyes

greenbrain wrote: »
    What kind of questions came up at the interview?....was it mostly competency based?
    Like giving them examples of times when you demonstrated your (communication, organisation, initiative, teamwork etc..) skill.

Yah, exactly.

Give me an example of a time when you displayed Leadership...
    ...Initiative...when you faced a difficult situation but you overcame it... What do you think is your greatest achievement... tell me about the structure of an Irish SME. Who is responsible for communicating the companies image... lol, lots of hard questions!

Has anyone heard back yet after interview??

There are still interviews I understand this week so it could be a while before we hear about the result...at least 10days I would guess

Mid November is what they said to me. The companies are putting in for their funding now, then they'll finish the interviews and whittle us down to the ones they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mngg

Hey guys,

Cheers for the info, you taken away the fear of uncertainty as regards the activities on the day. I'm on tomorrow.

Was just wondering how long it took you guys to get from the city centre to the EI offices? I'm up from Cork for it and don't want to be late or be sitting there for ages before it. The Dublin Bus planner is good but gives no travel time approximation, would appreciate any input.

Oh and the reason some people got last minute calls was probably due to people no showing or cancelling at the last minute.

Get the Dart from Connolly, Tara or Pearse station towards Howth, and get off at Clontarf. There's a shuttle bus there. Or hop in a taxi. I'd say it'd be less than €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dragon_wannabee

I haven't heard anything back on my application at all, but I did get an email today on the Farmleigh Fellowship. Is it safe to say I won't be getting called for the G4IG at this stage?

I haven't heard anything back on my application at all, but I did get an email today on the Farmleigh Fellowship. Is it safe to say I won't be getting called for the G4IG at this stage?
    Got a Farmleigh mail last week and again this morning. Replied putting that sentiment to them, didn't hear back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mary.

I never heard back from G4IG either, and as far as I know, they have already interviewed everyone. Hoping to hear back about Farmleigh. Did their mail invite you to interview or just an acknowledgement of application?

• Advertisement

mary. wrote: »
    I never heard back from G4IG either, and as far as I know, they have already interviewed everyone.

i'm going for the assessment centre tomorrow anyway.

Advertisement