Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a person die instantly without getting shot in the head?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

A lot of "dying instantly" is also down to the ammunition and gun used to fire it. A 7.52mm round from an AK47 has immense stopping power and can cause massive internal damage. Take one of those rounds to the head and a third of its contents will leave with the exiting bullet. Same goes for a 5.56mm from the likes of an M4 Carbine but it has considerably less kinetic energy and will result in less damage, but almost certain death if hit in the head.

Pistol ammunition you have the greatest chance of surviving, but only in terms of damage to tissue caused. 9mm and other fast moving, comparitively smaller caliber rounds can induce hydrostatic shock, which actually causes hemorrhaging in the brain, even if you are hit in the abdomen. The round hitting your body and internal tissue causes massive pressure to buildup inside your blood vessels causing damage in the brain.

This occurs nearly instantly and is probably mistaken for instant death in a lot of cases.

Dont you mean 7.62?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Apologies, touch typing in a dark room.

Another NSFW

Cant believe they show these on youtube! pretty much instant death...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOdCo66Tyk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

He got peppered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

there are cases of people being splashed with molten lead/lava and dieing instantly of shock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Another inane thread started by the OP... He's got a lot of time on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I think having an anvil fall on you would kill you instantly. But would make children laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

TC, I had exactly the same thought as you before and after thinking about it I became convinced that it is impossible to die instantly from anything but a headshot (and even a headshot may not cause instant death... you can be braindead without being totally dead).

So all those movies and computer games where you see a guy being shot in the stomach/chest (or leg even worse) and falling down instantly dead are a lie. The Aztecs used to even have enough time to rip out the heart of the man and show it to him before he died, so it's not like your brain or other organs can't go a little bit without a full blood supply.

TC, I had exactly the same thought as you before and after thinking about it I became convinced that it is impossible to die instantly from anything but a headshot (and even a headshot may not cause instant death... you can be braindead without being totally dead).

So all those movies and computer games where you see a guy being shot in the stomach/chest (or leg even worse) and falling down instantly dead are a lie. The Aztecs used to even have enough time to rip out the heart of the man and show it to him before he died, so it's not like your brain or other organs can't go a little bit without a full blood supply.

You would more then likely fall down instantly, you might not die instantly but at the end of the day guns are very good at killing people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Tom and Jerry and Coyote are going to be taking notes on this thread.

I can see a 10 ton acme weight heading straight for coyote and a big bazooka shoved into toms face thanks to the ever cute Jerry.

Advertisement