Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all have a riot!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I fear marching will achieve very little. The FF's will take very little notice
    I can see the press release "we understand why people are marching and we are doing our best to get people back to work"

Unless we have some violent protests and show of agression that might actually frighten them, we are wasting time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Governments like peaceful protest. It shows they have control over you.

I'm not talking about burning the city down, just something to remind them of who the boss is and that they need to sort some **** out fairly and justly.

I remeber Tony Blair watching the peaceful marches about the iraqi invasion & I remember Thatchers face the day after the poll tax riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

k_mac wrote: »
    The people of Ireland caused this mess. Its no good blaming the bankers and politicians. The Irish people took out the mortgages on ridiculously overpriced houses. The Irish people elected the politicians who did nothing about it. The Irish people made a joke of the welfare system. The Irish people made Mr Hobbs a star. The Irish people spent all their savings on boozing and holidaying. Im tired of listening to all this moaning. There is nothing we can to magically fix it. In a year or two we will probably be over the worst of it and things will get better. With "Democracy, Liberty, Freedom & Justice" comes responsability. We took all that for granted and now we have to pay the price.

Yeh whatever, but why did you vote for Fianna Fail?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What summed up modern Ireland for me was the last time Bertie was elected-RTE News spoke to some of his constituants in his local pub.Their answer to one question was "We wouldn't trust him with tuppence but sure we have to vote for him":eek: Too many chancers and gombeens were elected because of parochial loyalty and favours done for voters such as getting planning permission or a road tarmaced.If it was the private sector the majority of the people running the country would be sacked.
    No amount of cliches and soundbites from politicians will mask the fact that they helped to essentially bankrupt the country.Revolution is needed but unfortunately when it comes down to it,the same people will be voted in again because we are too entrenched in party favouritism.And as for the Greens-I wouldn't let them run a kids party let alone have a role in government,they'll have us in the poorhouse with their harebrained taxes that wouldn't be out of place in an episode of the Simpson's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

every thread here is followed by which retard can come up with the funniest reply!

C U N T S

Mod note: Poster given free delicious cake and cookies for the above comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

phasers wrote: »
    The amount of people who come on and write this is unreal.

Why don't all you crazy rebels get together, stop preaching about how everybody sucks on boards and actually do something yourselves?

Until you do, shut up and stop whingeing
    "Wah! Wah! I'm going to stand on my pulpit here, having already admitted that I don't feel any obligation to change anything myself, and *demand* that everyone else drop what they're doing and take to the street in support of the views I obviously don't give enough of a fúck about to get off my arse in support of! Wah! Wah!"
    Well, discouraging even talking/complaining about it (and the general attitude of dissuading that) is part of what keeps everyone so apathetic, no?

If anything meaningful, i.e. an organized protest/strikes or whatever, is going to be done, then an internet forum (like boards) is the perfect place to start talking about it, because of the amount of people here; and if it's not talked about openly, nothing much happens and people remain in apathy.

Even though it's debatable what use a protest etc. would be, it's one of the few things anyone actually can do really, and promoting greater discussion and specifically anger about the whole issue, is one of few ways to actually get something useful done.

Calling protests and demanding a change in government, and managing (by some miracle) to actually get some significant large protests, would still be worthwhile even if a change in government wasn't forthcoming; maybe then our population wouldn't seem so fúcking meek to the world, in the face of being metaphorically ass-raped by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I fear marching will achieve very little. The FF's will take very little notice
    I can see the press release "we understand why people are marching and we are doing our best to get people back to work"

So we shouldnt bother then?
    God why is everyone such pussies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

maxxie wrote: »

C U N T S

If you add a K and R and take away the C and jiggle it about a bit you can make T R U N K S, how weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Interesting thread here on why it's supposedly a horrible idea to riot at a time of economic turmoil such as the one in which we're living.

I have no knowledge of economics so I can't comment on its validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxxie wrote: »
    every thread here is followed by which retard can come up with the funniest reply!

C U N T S

Definitely the funniest, by far.:pac:

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Interesting thread here on why it's supposedly a horrible idea to riot at a time of economic turmoil such as the one in which we're living.

I have no knowledge of economics so I can't comment on its validity.

Not interesting at all, bankers perspective.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68271760&postcount=234

So we shouldnt bother then?
    God why is everyone such pussies??

No if you read the rest of my point, I think we should protest. I just think it should be violent, call me a pussy if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP it seems you've stumbled into the wrong country. The UK is bad enough, but who'd be stupid enough to move to Ireland? The UK has better healthcare, more jobs, better economic prospects, better education system, etc etc. Why not just learn a language and go somewhere economically sound, like Germany?

I've always thought of rioting as having the exact same effect as a seven-year-old throwing the kind of screaming kicking and wrecking fit in a supermarket you'd expect from a two-year-old.

Thankfully this country has the same opinion of riots as most onlookers do in a supermarket of the little sh*t throwing the tantrum in the supermarket. Loads of sympathy for the mother for putting up with it, but they know better

There's a right way and a wrong way to change things in this country.

Wrong way- Throw stuff, break windows, abuse the decent folk of the Garda Siochana or, at its very worst, force Army personnel to take the lives of the local citizens.

Right way- Give the gits in power the kicking they deserve in the only place that they care about.

The Ballot Box.

Yes, that means waiting a few years for the election. Do i think there should be a mechanism to call a national vote of no confidence in a government? yes. But we don't have that at the moment. We must use the tools at our disposal. Not throw a tantrum.

There's a big ballot ban-hammer. You just gotta swing it at the right time.

Confab wrote: »
    OP it seems you've stumbled into the wrong country. The UK is bad enough, but who'd be stupid enough to move to Ireland? The UK has better healthcare, more jobs, better economic prospects, better education system, etc etc. Why not just learn a language and go somewhere economically sound, like Germany?

Different discussion but basically lack of democracy and freedom.

Jeez, a lack of freedom to break windows and wreck the place.

We're so deprived. :rolleyes:

I've always thought of rioting as having the exact same effect as a seven-year-old throwing the kind of screaming kicking and wrecking fit in a supermarket you'd expect from a two-year-old.

Thankfully this country has the same opinion of riots as most onlookers do in a supermarket of the little sh*t throwing the tantrum in the supermarket. Loads of sympathy for the mother for putting up with it, but they know better

There's a right way and a wrong way to change things in this country.

Wrong way- Throw stuff, break windows, abuse the decent folk of the Garda Siochana or, at its very worst, force Army personnel to take the lives of the local citizens.

Right way- Give the gits in power the kicking they deserve in the only place that they care about.

The Ballot Box.

Yes, that means waiting a few years for the election. Do i think there should be a mechanism to call a national vote of no confidence in a government? yes. But we don't have that at the moment. We must use the tools at our disposal. Not throw a tantrum.

There's a big ballot ban-hammer. You just gotta swing it at the right time.

I disagree. Most major changes in history come by throwing tantrums, like in 1916 Ireland, France, any revolution
    All there is at the end of the ballot box is another crowd who are not much different to those in power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok I would turn up for a protest on a SAT or a SUN in Dec as these days are mostly free for people workin in Mon to Fri and the 400,000 people out of work.
    People who work in shops would/could turn up on their lunch break if its held on one of these days between 11am and 3pm.

Now before some smart arse says 'You set it up or face palm/flame' I'm not 100% on these things and I dont have the confidence to start a protest as i'm sure most Irish people feel the same.
    But with facebook we could set up a protest page for one of these days and everyone from boards could link to it from there facebook page and send requests to everyone they know and to Unions etc facebook pages and the word is out.

We just need a few loud mouth people to get the ball rolling here!

And we dont want it to turn into a nasty riot with knackers turning up to just reck/rob the place like they always do.
    Someone set it up, everyone else gets the word out and TURNS UP!

Who can do this?

EDIT: Dec is 2 full months away, enough time to save up for a ticket to get to dublin on the bus/train.

Ah jeez, I thought after WWII we'd learned that co-operation was the better way to get changes done.

I thought that we were past the bloodshed of revolution.

After 30 years of savagery in the North, and the realisation that since there's less riots etc. life in NI has become near-normal again, that that is infinitely preferable to the non specific anger and hatred of "I'm Right, and no one's listening, so I'll make them listen, or kill them."

Escelation can only hurt this country. FFS, it's paper. We've better things to kill/die over.

Edit: Protest I'm with. I think we have to let the government know that we have thirty lashes to give them, and no matter how much they kid themselves, it's only a matter of time before we give them.

On Election Day next, we will get to do the modern equivelent to this with the current govt.

The time will come. Every ballot with no place for a FF name will be a whip given by the crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Edit: Protest I'm with. I think we have to let the government know that we have thirty lashes to give them, and no matter how much they kid themselves, it's only a matter of time before we give them.

Your right SeaSlacker!

All we have to do is turn up and get the word out!

Also the protest that was on wednesday had posters all over dublin and at the weekend there was stands at the GPO with people all over O'Connell st handing out leaflets about it, people can only do so much to get word out like. If you dont see a poster or leaflets dont give out that you didnt know about it. Keep your ear to the ground/lamp posts/GPO :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

OP, being English, if you want a riot just announce you are going to walk down O'Connell street...... hey presto, insta-riot.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ch750536 wrote: »
    I'm British. I left the UK as I was so appalled with the lack of freedom and liberty.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Different discussion but basically lack of democracy and freedom.

Freedom and democracy? We don't have any of that here. Define democracy, first of all. Somebody's been reading far too much political theory. There's no such thing as democracy, it's a construct developed to allow the population the illusion of choice. And what's 'freedom'? The freedom to kill? The freedom to walk down the road dressed as a transvestite?

Switzerland is the country you need, and they don't let foreigners in unless they're going to be useful to them.

Confab wrote: »
    Freedom and democracy? We don't have any of that here. Define democracy, first of all. Somebody's been reading far too much political theory. There's no such thing as democracy, it's a construct developed to allow the population the illusion of choice. And what's 'freedom'? The freedom to kill? The freedom to walk down the road dressed as a transvestite?

Switzerland is the country you need, and they don't let foreigners in unless they're going to be useful to them.

Different discussion bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

the minors strike
    Aw.. missed that. Shoulda been there..
    Those kids had it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Here I am feeling bad that I'm not manning some barricade in protest. Working 16 hours a day doesn't help I suppose, but as a lot of posters have rightly pointed out, what about the 450,000 who have a lot of free time on their hands? Shameful really when you think of it, Ireland - the land of sheep and sh1te talkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, people not rioting is nowhere near as bad as people plonked on their arses and: whining about us not rioting/saying we should start a riot (go on then - off with ya!)/asking why we're not starting a riot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes but why were the houses so "ridiculously overpriced" :confused:

Because thats how supply and demand works.
    mikom wrote: »
    Did I?

Did I?

Did I?

Did I?

Did I?

Yes you did. If you didn't play a part in any of those examples you are one in a million.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yeh whatever, but why did you vote for Fianna Fail?:confused:

I wasn't able to vote last time around.
    Dudess wrote: »
    In fairness, people not rioting is nowhere near as bad as people plonked on their arses and: whining about us not rioting/saying we should start a riot (go on then - off with ya!)/asking why we're not starting a riot.

When people riot it generally doesn't have any benefit. The only people who suffer are local people and police.

Advertisement