Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good to see you are back on your feet man. Just use your head tomorrow and dont over do it if you are not feeling 100 %. Dont panic training has been going great for you recently and the work/ fitness has been there over the past while you are not going to lose it over night

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Thanks ecoli, yep true enough - just dying to get back at it.

You gonna set the record straight in the Dublin Half?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bad luck with the National half man but you'll run a cracker in the Dublin 1/2. As ecoli says don't overcook it between now and then, you wouldn't have lost any fitness, not with the amount of quality training you have done.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Thanks ecoli, yep true enough - just dying to get back at it.

You gonna set the record straight in the Dublin Half?

Maybe;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks a lot lads. Good to see you back Liamo, can't keep a good man down :cool:

Thurs - 10 really easy at Vartry. Feeling pretty run down.
    Fri - 9 easy. Felt a cold coming on. Legs were A1. Great to run in zero pain.

Sat, Sun, Mon - OFF. Choking with a chest infection. Really pissed off. Something like 50 miles for the week.

Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri - 10 each day at about 8:00 pace. Feel weak and coughing up unreal amounts of disgusting crap.

Got a workout tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to hit it. This is meant to be an 85 week, which will not happen now. If I can do this run ok tomorrow, I'll call 70 odd miles a good week and hit up the 85 next week.

From someone who has had more than their fair share of chest infections, if you're planning on racing next Saturday and you're still coughing up lumps now I would not be pushing any runs now. I always bounced straight back into pace and fitness once I was able to crawl out of be and stand up straight again. I would definitely say take it easy over the next 3 or 4 days and then get out the few days before the race to keep the legs fresh. You won't gain anything from doing workouts if you're still coughing up lumps and feeling weak.

Athenry was crap anyway, ye didn't miss anything. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice RQ. These things are a curse. I get one every time I get a cold, probably because I had bad asthma as a kid. Still feeling bad, but going back to the doc's tomorrow.

Sat - 20 with 10 @ 6:26.

Not the exact session at all, but it was all I could manage. MP felt like tempo pace and I was creased after 7 miles. Gorgeous day, but not good for running. Breakdown was 6 @ 7:40, then the MP, then 4 at a crawl.

Sun - 10 easy. Hungover.

70 for the week. Not bad for 6 days' running.

Mon - 6.2 and 4
    Tues - 11 including 3x 1 mile, 3x 1000

5:33
    5:32
    5:40

3:28
    3:28
    3:24

Pretty windy. I got blown off the track by a gust at one stage.

Wed - 10.5 easy. Grinding it out. Not feeling the best at all these days. Light at the end of the tunnel though - easy week next week, then a murderous week, then it's pretty much over. Apart from the actual race.

Back from the doctor with a steroid inhaler, 10 day antibiotic and bloods done. My peak flow reading is way down. Goddamnit.

Thurs - 10 @ 7:44 Up around Marlay and back to the house. Wind!
    Fri - OFF. Or maybe 3 easy or something.

Can't decide about tomorrow. I've signed up so I will run, but I'm not healthy. Will mull it over but right now I'm thinking do the first 10 at MP (6:20-6:25) and hammer the last 5k if I can (this should still get me a PB).

With a long run Sun I'll still be on track. Just hate racing when I'm not actually 'racing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Back from the doctor with a steroid inhaler, 10 day antibiotic and bloods done. My peak flow reading is way down. Goddamnit.

Thurs - 10 @ 7:44 Up around Marlay and back to the house. Wind!
    Fri - OFF. Or maybe 3 easy or something.

Can't decide about tomorrow. I've signed up so I will run, but I'm not healthy. Will mull it over but right now I'm thinking do the first 10 at MP (6:20-6:25) and hammer the last 5k if I can (this should still get me a PB).

With a long run Sun I'll still be on track. Just hate racing when I'm not actually 'racing'.
    Sorry to hear bout the bit of bad health, still have plenty of work done. Hear what your saying about racing but remember its not your goal race and even if you do pb it won't be near what your capable of but still could set you back even more. Eyes on the prize and all that, just sayin ;-)

Thanks Ronnie - too right. The goal is DCM and these are just steps on the way. Hoping I won't pay later for today's exertions.

Sat 14@ 6:02 including Dublin Half in 1:18:46

Felt a little better this morning, so I roided up and came up with a new plan to try hold 6 min pace as long as I could, knowing that it'd be ok to back off to MP. The wind was picking up as we were jogging around and I was keen to just get moving on this one.

The first few miles were just about settling in; I pushed it a little on the Kyber in anticipation of the climb out and the North Road drag. Passed a lot of people up to 4 miles, where I saw TRR on the far side, cruising along in a group of hardy b@stards. Great result by him. Got into a nice group here and we pushed along all by Farmleigh and went through 10k in 37:20 (the lad beside me had his watch in kms).

Still feeling fine and we were back in the park. Couple of nasty, windy drags and next thing I knew we were at 8 miles. I was beside the 2nd lady here and we worked together for a mile. Between 9 and 10 a guy from the club drew alongside me and he was motoring. I stayed on his shoulder, knowing that I would possibly pay for it but lost him going out the main gate and had to battle up Conyngham by myself. Starting to feel pretty bad here.

First hill felt like I was walking but the lads either side were not passing so I knew I must be holding some kind of pace. Hammered the S-bends and gutted out the last hill battling with a lad in a purple singlet. At 12 I was totally done. I actually felt a bit like lying down for a cry and a sleep. Tried hard to stay in touch with that guy but he was stronger.
    I did pass 2 on the home straight and was making ground back but the line came and I was pleased to see it. Coughing fit a few mins later but have been ok since.

Met ecoli who has banished the Athenry demons with style and Krusty who guided the 1.30 guys over the line in perfect time. Also got to meet drquirky who's going to be a Tallaght AC man soon enough :) Tunguska came 3rd, tacking another savage performance on to a year of unreal runs. And it ain't over yet. If there's ever an example of hard work and balls paying off, this man is it.

Happy with my run. Could have done better, I think, on another day but like Ronnie was saying, this one was not the goal.

5:52
    6:05
    5:57
    6:03
    5:56
    6:02
    5:48
    5:52
    5:50
    5:43
    6:15
    6:04
    6:12
    5:21 for .2

3 min PB, I'll take it. Long run tomorrow :cool:.

Last thing: these races are a testament to the DCM crowd. Great value; they start on time; accurate, interesting courses; nice t-shirts; results available as soon as you get home; atmosphere is always brilliant; well-marshalled courses and baggage areas... exactly how races should be run.

Didnt realise that was such a big PB for you man fair play well deserved and good to see you bounce back from sickness plenty more to come from you in 6 weeks time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great time. I could just have easily been reading my own race report, the way your race unraveled. With less impressive times of course. That last mile was a real slog. I was wretching for a good minute after the finish line. You're well on track for DCM now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant stuff cwgatling. The marathon's going to be a cracking race for you. A real game changer. Congrats.

Cheers lads. Yep fingers crossed for the big one.

Sun - 20.3 @ 7:50. Tallaght to Ticknock via Marlay Park and back. Phew. The climb up to Ticknock is a killer but the view is worth it. Route.

75.7 for the week. Happy with that. Down week next week; even happier about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice racing and battling through those hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great race yesterday and lsr today - all after being quite sick! Hope that is your bad luck with illness out of the way now.

I run a bit in the hills near where you were today. Would be good to tackle some climbs together some sunday....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Belated congrats Paddy.... Super run on Saturday and not bad on Sunday too !!!

Thanks again lads - back on the horse now, almost.

@ TBB - definitely be on for that. Some beautiful runs up there. You'd be hanging around for me though, I'd be crucified at the pace you run up there. I'm going for 20-22 easy tomorrow at about 2 if you are about. Will probably hit Phoenix Park.

Mon - OFF
    Tues - .5 @ 8:20
    Wed - 9.1 @ 8:00

Bit of a scare after that hectic weekend. I was hobbling around all day Monday with serious achilles pain. It was bothering me before the race but nothing serious. 13.1 all out in flats probably didn't help things. Got a very painful physio session Tues early and tried a run but turned back after 2 mins. Could hardly put my foot on the ground.

Ice, eccentric heel drops at every chance, ibuprofen and an easy day today. Feeling a good bit better. Easy week with just 8 T pace and 22E which I am planning for tomorrow. More physio and laser for next week should be enough to see me through til DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Fantastic progress with your running CW, I was finishing there or thereabouts with your times last year in HM's last year but your dedication, training and resulting form and times this year have been super, knocking c. 5 mins off a HM time is brilliant, and well deserved. All the hard work is done now, really hope you get the good marathon time you deserve next month, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

cant do mid day runs during the week - thanks anyway. Will get some in over the next few months so, would like to try the ticknock climb, looks steeper than mine....

Sorry to hear about the achilles. If its any consolation mine are usually sore, ive just accepted it as part of training :) Take it easy man, 22 on dodgy achilles sounds a little brave to me!

Thanks a million Happygoose. I've been lucky enough to stay relatively healthy which is the main thing. Looking forward to the marathon alright - are you doing it or heading straight into XC?

@TBB - no worries, yeah it is steep but the whole climb is only about 1.5 miles. Will give you a shout when we're up there next. There's another great one up around Bohernabreena which has the hills more spread out. Ha, that's exactly what the physio said about his own achilles. Those eccentric drops are brilliant; give them a shot if you aren't already.

Thurs - 22 @ 7:40
    Did this instead of the 8 mile tempo to give the ankle a bit of a rest. Sore starting off and sore now but it's manageable. Very enjoyable run otherwise. Nice to do an LSR without the legs being hammered from a race. All done on the trails in the park, lovely cool day.

• Advertisement

Bit of catching up to do...

Fri - 9.1 @ 8:00
    Sat - 10 @ 8:10
    Sun - 10.7 hilly @ 7:48

Recovery week done, last chance to make some gains. 61 miles.

Mon - 6.5 and 4
    Tues - 9.2
    Wed - 10
    Thurs - 18.5 @ 6:32 including

5 in 30:08, 5 mins rest
    4 in 24:35, 4 mins rest
    3 in 18:31, 3 mins rest
    1.5 in 9:15, 2.5 mins rest
    1 in 6:06

One of the hardest sessions I have ever done. Windy on the track as usual and I was on my own. Did not feel too good after this. Jog home was at 9 min pace. The 1.5 was obviously supposed to be a 2 miler, but after 1 mile I'd slowed to 6:20 pace and I knew if I finished it, that'd be it. So I called it early and gave a big effort on the last mile. Fair amount of pace slippage but I am glad I (kind of) finished it out.

Fri - 10 recovery. 8:20 pace.

Easy 5 tomorrow then 5E, 15 MP at the Eco 2 run on Sunday.

Bit of catching up to do...

Fri - 9.1 @ 8:00
    Sat - 10 @ 8:10
    Sun - 10.7 hilly @ 7:48

Recovery week done, last chance to make some gains. 61 miles.

Mon - 6.5 and 4
    Tues - 9.2
    Wed - 10

One of the hardest sessions I have ever done. Windy on the track as usual and I was on my own. Did not feel too good after this. Jog home was at 9 min pace. The 1.5 was obviously supposed to be a 2 miler, but after 1 mile I'd slowed to 6:20 pace and I knew if I finished it, that'd be it. So I called it early and gave a big effort on the last mile. Fair amount of pace slippage but I am glad I (kind of) finished it out.

Fri - 10 recovery. 8:20 pace.

Easy 5 tomorrow then 5E, 15 MP at the Eco 2 run on Sunday.

You guys are some crazy SOB's doing 18 miles on track if that doesnt make you mentally strong on top of the physical strength you get from a session like that I dunno what will fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Unreal session man and as ecoli says how you did that on the track is beyond me! Hardy bastards up there in Tallaght!

Haha, in fairness it was only 14.5 on the track. Yeah, it was fairly repetitive; think I have gotten the value from my club subs in terms of track time!

Haha, in fairness it was only 14.5 on the track. Yeah, it was fairly repetitive; think I have gotten the value from my club subs in terms of track time!

You will give Tony a heart attack. Think of poor lane one being worn out by time next years track season comes along just a good thing its getting close to marathon or we would have no track left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    You will give Tony a heart attack. Think of poor lane one being worn out by time next years track season comes along just a good thing its getting close to marathon or we would have no track left :D

:D Was thinking the exact same myself. By the time himself and tunguska are finished thee will be a trench where lane 1 use to be. Great mental training as well. I just couldn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ecoli wrote: »

Jaysus lads keep it quiet. You'll have Tony chasing us down the road with his hedge clippers.

Sat - 5 miles in 40 mins. Wrecked!

Sun - 20 @ 6:24

Hadn't been looking forward to this. After a hard week and with the weather looking bad this morning it was a struggle to get out of bed. The plan was 5 easy and the rest at marathon pace.
    When the gun went off (for the second time ;)) I was running beside a guy called Jason (kiwirunner I believe) and we were chatting away for the first 3 miles. These were at MP so I said, screw it, do 15 and 5 easy. He pulled ahead at about 4 and that was me on my own for pretty much the entire rest of the race.

I wasn't minding the pace a whole lot, just batin' out the miles. Some really windy sections. A f*cking barrier was blown out on top of me at one stage; that will tell you the strength of the gusts. Loads of encouragement from other runners and the stewards. Fair play to them.

I caught a guy who I'd pipped in the half in the park at about 9 and left him behind. 10 miles came, no bother.At about 12, I caught 1 more guy who was absolutely dying. Finished out the 15 and I started cruising.

It was tempting to keep the hammer down because I was feeling good but I really don't want to shoot my bolt 1 month out from the marathon. As it turns out, I didn't slow that much but it certainly felt like a decent break. The fella I beat in the park passed me here and I let him off. Bruised ego :P

Decided to hammer the last 2 and as I upped the pace I got a bad stitch. This never happens me. Tried to massage it out but it didn't really work. No worries, 2 miles is nothing so I got back to MP and crossed the line, tired but not flat out.

It was actually a great race. The course is super flat and I loved the laps. Really interesting seeing all the other runners and guys from the 15, 10 and 5. In the last 800, a guy passed me, ripping it along. He had a 20 mile bib on him and I was thinking shiiit as I dug in to go with him. He told me then he was doing the 5. Phew.The aul racing instinct kicks in even when you don't want it to. Well-organised, great course. Will definitely be back.

6:22

Big week done - 84 miles and 2 sessions. Mileage starts to drop off now, no harm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thought that was you alright. Nice running today, well done. You were looking strong every time we passed.

• Advertisement

Cheers RQ; was that you in the Donore singlet?

Advertisement