Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Tues - 10.5 @ 6:40 including:

5x 1000m off 2 mins
    6x 400m off 3 mins

1ks were I pace - all done in 3:24. Just below 5:30 pace.
    The 400s were 73, 76, 77, 76, 74, 76. Strong desire to quit after that 77.

Way tougher than I thought it would be, but lucked out on a pacer again :cool:
    Will fill in the miles now with easy runs, have a big session Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hard luck on the IR 5 mile cwgatling but that's still a hugely impressive time, it was a fecker of a course especially over the second half. Best of luck in the 10k.

Thanks pconn, yes second half was dirty. It's in the 10 miler and 1/2 marathon as well so I may as well get used to it!
    Great racing yourself, you'd have gone sub-31 on an easier course. Keep those sessions rolling.

Wed - 4 and 6. Felt bad.
    Thurs - 6 and 4. Felt good.

Few token miles tomorrow, rip into it Sat.

Fri - 4.25 easy.
    Sat - 20.6 @ 6:56 including

3T in 17:40
    8.5 easy in 1 hour
    3T in 17:54

Great session with Tunguska, Ecoli and Krusty. It looked ok on paper but it was a bit of a pain fest, especially the last bit. Good craic though, flying around the middle bit with ecoli.

Sun - 5 @ 8:19. Yeah, pretty tired for this, just making up the miles. 70 again for the week.

Mon - had treatment on knee and had to take the day off. So far so good.
    Tues - 18 easy. This is a step-back week in the plan: low mileage and 1 of the 'sessions' is just 18 easy. Just as well because it was roasting and the wind was screaming in the park. Would not have been able to do any MP stuff. Totally dehydrated by the end of this.

Wed - 10 @ 7:56. Great July day, p!ssing rain.

Thurs - 11 @ 7:33. Nice run, the miles flew. Dog tired these days though.

• Advertisement

Fri - 8.5 @ 7:29. Great old run, strides at the end. Rest today and race tomorrow.

22 July - Fingal 10k in 36:32

This was strangely enjoyable. Miles off a PB but it was a decent effort (i.e. all out). Great course with a brilliant finish down the main street.

5:45
    5:42
    5:49
    6:25
    5:48
    5:12 pace for .21

10.3 for the day and 58 for the week.

Mon 23rd - 10 @ 7:49
    Tues - 6 and 4
    Wed - 13.2 including 8 mile tempo @ 6:12 pace.
    Thurs - 9 easy. Legs in pieces, no energy.
    Fri - 5 @ 7:55
    Sat - 19.8 @ 6:48 including:

8MP - 6:25 pace
    1T - 5:57
    4MP - 6:30 pace
    1E - 7:40
    2MP - 6:42 pace

This was actually a success even though it looks like I bombed. The 4MP bit had 3 miles into a headwind and the 1E was meant to be another T pace bit but there was no way in hell I could manage it with the wind. Definitely could have held sub 6:30 pace in better conditions.

Sun - 11 @ 7:54. Hilarious weather.

78 for the week.

Mon - 6 and 4 easy. Tired.

Gotta update this thing more often! Mile reps tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

what time and where are you guys doing reps tomorrow at?

330 on the track!

Tues - 11 including 5x 1 mile off 400 walk/jog

5:37
    5:35
    5:33

Probably my least favourite session so nice to get it out of the way early in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cwgatling wrote: »
    Tues - 11 including 5x 1 mile off 400 walk/jog

5:37

Probably my least favourite session so nice to get it out of the way early in the week.

Hey Man good session

Sorry I missed you guys. Was having problems with my phone and only saw message about it this morning (along with 27 messages from the weekend which only delivered after turning on and off my phone :rolleyes:)

Haha no bother man. That has happened me before. Will be doing a 2x2mile T, 1hr E, 3 mile T on Friday afternoon if you are about. Eoin is doing it Sat morning.

8.5 recovery today. Legs were really beaten up. Hot, windy day so this was just about getting it done.

10 @ 7:17. Nice run. Was going to do 5 or 6 to be rested for tomorrow, but screw it, may as well stay on top of the mileage.

Fri - 18.3 @ 7:25 including

2x (2 miles T pace) off 2 mins @ 5:50 and 6:00
    8 easy
    3 T pace @ 6:16

Wicked session and I didn't make it easy on myself. It's done now anyway. Last 3 were a grind, could not get on the pace at all.

Fri - 18.3 @ 7:25 including

2x (2 miles T pace) off 2 mins @ 5:50 and 6:00
    8 easy
    3 T pace @ 6:16

Wicked session and I didn't make it easy on myself. It's done now anyway. Last 3 were a grind, could not get on the pace at all.

I know that feeling was the exact same way myself today doing it legs struggle big time at that stage but great race simulation

You did well, it is a tough session but manageable. Think there are 1 or 2 more which I'm determined to get right!

Sat - 10 @ 8:06 after a long day at work.
    Sun - 7.5 easy. 75 miles for the week.

Mon - 10 @ 7:40. Nice trot out the N11 to Cabinteely Park.
    Tues - 5.75 easy

Session tomorrow so went easy on it today. Step back week again, so only have to hit 60 miles. Sweet.

Wed - 14.5 @ 6:53 including

10 @ 6:17 (adjusted T pace). Decent session, had to work for it but happy with the time. Cooldown was ridiculously slow, I was stumbling around the place. Lovely day in the park.

Nice loop for tempos actually if anyone is interested: basically straight down Chesterfield from the Castleknock gate, left at the last roundabout and back up the North Road.
    About 4 miles, repeat until dizzy.

Thurs - OFF. Ahhh. First one in almost 3 weeks.
    Fri - 6 easy.
    Sat - 21.7 hilly @ 7:33. Lovely run this. Headed out with Tunguska, no water or anything between us, so we ended up stopping twice and luckily met sound lads who sorted us out on each occasion. It's a great aul route so I'll stick it up here:

Hills

Some weather. Token easy 3 or so tomorrow to round off a handy week. 7 killer weeks left, 2-3 manageable ones, then taper.

Sun - 3 at 7:56 and 61 for the week. Felt like doing a few more miles, but there is plenty of running to come - gotta take the rest while it's going.

Mon - 8 and 4. Ran into work. Pretty hungover.
    Tues - 9 @ 8:07. Did this in the early morning. Not feeling the love but it's good to be out when most other people are in bed.
    Wed - Was supposed to be a 4, 3, 2, 1 threshold session but the weather was shocking so we hit the treadmills for this cracker:

20mins on, 4 mins off
    3x (15 on, 3 off). On was 12.5 speed and 8% grade. The speed is way out of whack on these things, but it was a brilliant workout. Calling it 10 miles for the day. Very enjoyable.

Thurs - 4 and 10. Tired and feeling sorry for myself. Good conditions in the evening though, drizzly and cool.

Fri - 10.3 @ 8:08. Tired again. It's been busy in work and I have a big run tomorrow so this was just about filling in the miles.

Frank Duffy, National Half and Race Series Half all coming up very soon. It'll be interesting to see where I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Frank Duffy, National Half and Race Series Half all coming up very soon. It'll be interesting to see where I am...

I predict great things for you in these races cwgatling, you're training has been awesome. Sub 60 for the Frank Duffy 10 mile or GTFO! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the vote of confidence pconn! Would love to get under the hour alright. Best of luck with your sub 65. Another tough run ahead of us!

Sat - 18.75 @ 6:39 including:

8M (6:19)
    1T (6:06)
    5M (6:35)

Yeah, there was meant to be 1 more M and 1 more T at the end. I was crucified after the 5M and was going to just hammer the last mile on the track and leave it at that but when I stepped up to the line, I got a sharp pain in my knee (not the ongoing thing, that's almost gone. This was on the other side). Anyway, I couldn't even walk so had to abandon the session there.

Not too worried. I think dehydration/cramp, high mileage, 9 hard miles on a track before 5 hard ones on the road could all have played a part. I've rolled it and it feels a bit better. My IT band is tight as a nun's... well let's just say it's pretty damn tight so I'll try to keep an eye on it. Will get new shoes too. Easy run tomorrow and I'll call it a decent week.

Sun - 11 @ 7:33. Nice easy run, picked it up a bit towards the end. First 400m I was limping along but loosened out as the run went on.

Mon - 9.5 @ 7:55. Gettin' her done down in Tymon.

Tues - 11 @ 6:53 including:

4x 1 mile off 3-4 mins

5:31

and 4x 400 off 3 mins

Totally wrecked after this one. Still feeling woozy. Great company in ecoli and tunguska made it easier. Easy 10 tomorrow, course recce Thurs, rest Fri, race Sat, long run Sun.

Wed - 10 @ 8:03. Jaysus. Went from the house out to Corkagh Park, stopped for a slash in the bushes after 5 miles and could not get going again. Crippling pain all along the IT band and knee. Thought I was going to be stranded but eventually managed to get running after 1 mile of hobbling. Had to stop at lights 800m from my house and ended the run in severe pain. Scary.

Thurs - 11.5 @ 7:30. Ran over the Frank Duffy course with Tunguska. This was a good idea. Wore racing flats to try help the IT band.

Fri - OFF

Sat - Frank Duffy 10 in 58:55.

I made a total balls of registering for this. Basically, I hadn't registered at all. Anyway, thanks to the help of 2 sound ladies, I got a number right before the race start. It was 9:56 and I was jogging along trying to pin on the number. Hopped the barrier near the top and after about 30s we were off. Close one.

First mile was cool. The plan was to hold 6 min pace or just under that until 4 miles, then hammer the 2.7 miles until the Khyber to bag a few seconds which would be lost on the hills. Then grit the teeth until home.

North Road was a bit windy but I was steadily moving up through groups and feeling comfortable. The turnaround came and I copped Tunguska, TRR and another Tallaght lad haring down Chesterfield before heading that way myself. This was a savage bit of the course, very enjoyable. Wasn't in a group as such, just catching loads of bodies and pressing on.

Hit hill 1 and a guy in a black singlet came with me which was great. Hammered down the S-bends and tried to relax before the last hill. The pace seriously slowed here but I got to the top in 1 piece. Bit of an issue though, there was suddenly nobody to chase except 1 lad in a green singlet about 300m up ahead. I was in bits at this stage, but this guy was worse. I caught him at around 9.25 and fair play to him, he battled hard. Once we turned on to Furze Road I went for it and he cracked. Serious effort and I crossed the line in a heap.

Met TRR and Tunguska both looking fresh after running unreal times. Had a blister and the IT band was in a heap, so couldn't cool down. Bleedin' delighted with the time. I thought I could get sub-60 with a bit of luck, never bargained on 58:xx. Thank f*ck because I have had a series of dodgy races. Looks like we bagged a county team bronze, nice one.

5:54
    5:32 (think the garmin went weird here. No way it was a 5:32)
    6:00
    5:53
    5:47
    5:42
    5:50
    5:44
    6:09
    5:54
    4:41 pace for .12

Sun - 19 @ 7:42. Ah this was tough. I had to do it though to get the mileage in. I did the first 10 with the lads to get to know the route but they wound up the pace and I was cooked. I had run the life out of myself the previous day so had very little will to get through this. Anyway, she's done now.

71 for the week. A bit thin, but mile reps, long run and race is a good week.

Mon - 9.1 @ 7:53. Nice easy run by the Barrow.
    Tues - 10 @ 7:43. Waterworks.
    Wed - 11 @ 7:41. Waterworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on a super performance. By the the time DCM comes around, I'll be chasing your singlet around Dublin. Hope the body/legs are on the mend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Great stuff on Saturday. Was great to get a team in. We won bronze all right but it's usually 3 to count not 4 which is a bit of a pain as we would have won the gold if it was 3 to count. Good luck on Saturday and mind the knee

Cheers Dave, good to meet you. Fair play, great racing out of ya as usual.

Yeah, that's a pity. I thought it was 3 too. If Davy had stayed on we'd have easily got the gold too. Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    Great stuff on Saturday. Was great to get a team in. We won bronze all right but it's usually 3 to count not 4 which is a bit of a pain as we would have won the gold if it was 3 to count. Good luck on Saturday and mind the knee
    +1 super running

looking great for the DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Savage stuff Paddy....From almost missing the race to smashing 60 mins is a very nice feeling I wound think :)........ Best of luck in the HM at the weekend...

Man you are flying great result at the weekend. Look after yourself and that hip/knee. With the way training is going recently for you ya will be bulletproof come October.

Another PB this weekend hopefully

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot lads. Good to see you back Liamo, can't keep a good man down :cool:

Thurs - 10 really easy at Vartry. Feeling pretty run down.
    Fri - 9 easy. Felt a cold coming on. Legs were A1. Great to run in zero pain.

Sat, Sun, Mon - OFF. Choking with a chest infection. Really pissed off. Something like 50 miles for the week.

Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri - 10 each day at about 8:00 pace. Feel weak and coughing up unreal amounts of disgusting crap.

Got a workout tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to hit it. This is meant to be an 85 week, which will not happen now. If I can do this run ok tomorrow, I'll call 70 odd miles a good week and hit up the 85 next week.

Advertisement