Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A toasted fly sandwich. :pac:

You're doing things in the wrong order!!:eek:

You swallow the spider to catch the fly, not the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Homemade fish fingers coated in panko breadcrumbs.

2014-09-17%2013.49.36_zpsyizz6igg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Penne Carbonara. I wouldn't be a carbonara purist but this had

a) a white wine sauce
    b) no parmesan
    c) rocket

in it. So it was a puzzling dish that I needed a pasta nap after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chicken Pesto Pasta.

Have started making my own lunch and it's great - cheap & (relatively) healthy. Usually just throw something on when I'm making the dinner, killing two birds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a really disappointing dining experience at lunch. We were passing a restaurant nearby that gets rave reviews (Greco-roman cuisine, apparently), and they had a sandwich board outside offering spaghetti with meatballs, garlic bread and a salad for $10. It sounded great, so we went in.

It was manky. The main dish was like the terrible spaghetti bolognaise I remember from when I was a child - watery and with fat floating on it. It splashed ALL OVER me. I'd been hoping for a thick, rich ragú but this was like a watered down, poor quality sauce from a jar. The garlic bread was a kind of multi-grain bread that didn't work at all, and it didn't taste remotely like garlic. Worse of it, it had clearly been left under a grill too long and it was burnt at the edges. Then the 'tossed salad' was a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a bit of tomato and cucumber DROWNING in vinaigrette. Like, there was literally an inch of dressing at the bottom of the bowl. They supplied 'parmesan' which looked like it had come out of a box, like that fake Roma stuff you can buy. And to top it all off, the service was terrible!

I'm not sure why this place gets such great reviews. Maybe getting the 'lunch special' was a bad idea, but you'd hope that they'd always do their best, regardless of what you ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Today, I'll be having a hearty soup that I made from last night's beef stew.

A BBQ pork, morceau sausage, apricot & pearl onion skewer with tabbouleh and a salad and a glass of rioja. I definitely hit Asador on a bad night the last time I was there, this was amazing. Horrendous food envy though, my friend got the fish special, bbq cod with some butter I can't remember what was in, on a bed of bulgher wheat, roast squash and toasted seeds. That was magic.

5C8F358E-D471-4AC9-BA3B-02D6860479A4_zpsqasuqxnk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Homemade fish fingers coated in panko breadcrumbs.

Where did you get the panko breadcrumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The Asian shop at the Luas stop on Middle/upper Abbey street should have them, if you're in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

A poppy seed bagel with roast beef slices, emmenthal cheese, beetroot, mixed leaves & pesto mayo. A nice mustard would have been much better with it, but they didn't have any in the corner shop earlier so made do with what was in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And the highlight of today's roast?

CF614BE5-3789-46E7-B753-003B70DDC6A3_zpszrhnaetc.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Roast lamb with all the trimmings. After a week of living on Portuguese seafood,I felt a return to tradition was called for.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

soda-bread-salmon.jpg

Paul Hollywood's soda bread (with the addition of some cheese) and his easy-peasy smoked salmon paté, eaten outdoors. I'm determined to milk every hour of sunshine that remains to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We took a flask of my home made vegetable soup, some fresh turnover bread and cold meats/salad for a picnic by the sea. It was such a beautiful day :)

Rolls with various fillings eaten 'on the hoof' during a family trek along the River Boyne. Stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Yesterday I had Burmese lamb curry, and then a spicy beef empanada from street food traders on Brick Lane in London. Followed by a few early afternoon beers in Brewdog!

Carcass stripped from last night's roast chicken & meat & leftover veg chopped up added to a miripoix with a litre or so of stock & leftover gravy. So it'll be roast chicken & veg soup for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Carcass stripped from last night's roast chicken & meat & leftover veg chopped up added to a miripoix with a litre or so of stock & leftover gravy. So it'll be roast chicken & veg soup for lunch.

Do you leave the leftover chicken meat in the soup from the get go? I did this before, and found I had very rubbery chicken, rather than the flecks of chicken I was hoping for! I'm planning on trying again when I do a roast chicken , but maybe cooking soup with stock and veg for a while, and adding chicken before the end.

I'm having a shop bought soup for lunch - Laragh Stuart carrot and creme fraiche. I badly need to go to the supermarket to buy ingredients for actual cooking!

I sweated some fresh finely diced carrot, onion & celery with some thyme & a bay leaf. Then added the chopped roast veg & diced chicken & topped off with stock. I'll left it simmering very gently for an hour. I'll just reheat later. The chicken usually turns out fine for me. I won't be super-tender as there is quite a lot of dark meat in there that would have been a bit more well done than the breast & thighs. I like a bit of 'bite' to my leftover chicken soup (more of a broth really as I won't liquidize it).

If you want flecks of chicken I would suggest placing the leftover chicken between a couple of sheets of cling film & giving it a good bashing with a rolling pin to break up the fibers. Then shred with a couple of forks rather than cutting with a knife as this may compress the meat fibers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Can this spaghetti carbonara be anymore b@St@rdised? Onion, Lardon, white wine, mushroom, parmesan, cream, lemon juice, chopped basil AND birds eye chillies.
    And I ate it with chopsticks. Take that.

2014-09-23%2014.10.16_zpsuplf2f1u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I had an M&S orzo salad, tiny pack of Tapas selection (ham and chorizo) and some chilli lentil curls. Rather tasty, but i'm ready for my dinner less than 3 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

I'd some multiseed Ryvitas with philedelhia light and some poached salmon, with a side salad and squeeze of lemon juice. Hit the spot!

Ham, cheese, tomato & onion toastie (although not toastedenoughstie, the people in Spar didn't seem to really understand sandwiches), cheese & onion crisps. The only thing that could have made it better would have been some club orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Free range roasted chicken, stuffing, carrots & dauphinoise potatoes @ the FarmGate, English Market, Cork.

G11cUbUl.jpg

I don't usually get too excited about chicken when eating out (apart from KFC, but that is my dirty little secret), but that looks gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Chana Masala from Urban Rajah's Curry Memoirs:

MGp2Tnml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Lunch yesterday was the 3 course set menu at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen.
    I had squash soup, house sausage with white cabbage and spinach, and then raspberry & custard tart for dessert. The soup was a bit bland but the other 2 course were fantastic! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

As a wee payday treat we headed to Booooojum for a burrrrito. I always get the same thing - brown burrito, Mexican rice, mixture of beans, the tasty tasty beef, mild salsa, cheese, sour cream and guac. Washed down with a cold Sol. I know I should try something new, but ... Just. So. Good.

Incidentally, when we landed (at the Jervis one) the queue was literally out the door. What a great business it is - I'd love to run a wee bustling food business like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a pulled pork sandwich. After all the hoo-ha about pulled pork over in AH I decided to see what all the fuss was about so I slow cooked me some pork last week and it's been sitting in the freezer since. Add a multi-seed bap, a bit of cheese, and some lettuce and I think I've had a sexual experience.

Advertisement