Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

The Americans eat so much though, do much more than Irish people. The couple sitting in front of me had 3 burger and chips meals through the game and they were normal sized!

Guy in one of the food stalls told me about double or triple the usual amount of food was bought!

Usually in rugby/football as well there are only ever queues at half time or before a game...about thirty people deep for the whole game today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Great atmosphere and a fantastic experience. The Navy entrance onto the field, plus the Notre Dame band and just a lot of well-humoured and well-behaved fun.

Oh and I hope that the old american gent who suffered what looked like a heart attack a few rows over has recovered and is enjoying the rest of his trip to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

dudara wrote: »

Oh and I hope that the old american gent who suffered what looked like a heart attack a few rows over has recovered and is enjoying the rest of his trip to Ireland.

Great to hear, I seen him with an oxygen mask and felt terrible bad for him

• Registered Users Posts: 35 slackerdude

Why go to all the trouble to organise this event and then not televise the game? Sure the pep rally event was nice but most people wanted to watch the game live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Guy in one of the food stalls told me about double or triple the usual amount of food was bought!

Usually in rugby/football as well there are only ever queues at half time or before a game...about thirty people deep for the whole game today. :D

It's odd that the organizers did not have this sorted, beforehand, if you go to any US sporting event you will see people constantly up and down to the concession stands, regardless of what is happening on the field
    Why go to all the trouble to organise this event and then not televise the game? Sure the pep rally event was nice but most people wanted to watch the game live.

But it was televised, it was on ESPN America, which have the rights for NCAA football in this part of the world, and which you can get on cable or sky

• Advertisement

It's odd that the organizers did not have this sorted, beforehand, if you go to any US sporting event you will see people constantly up and down to the concession stands, regardless of what is happening on the field

Just not well planned out imo. Really strange, also no merchandise being sold in the stadium, meaning huge queues afterwards for people as they didn't know beforehand and there are plenty of kiosks they could have opened up to sell Tshirts or scarves or whatever.
    Programmes weren't for sale inside either...well, they were for a while but gone after about half an hour, don't ask me why they didn't bring more in (though plenty of people did!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

Myself and me Julie really enjoyed , got a lot of positive comments for wearing our Tom Brady jerseys lol. I started shouting for navy after the first two scores as felt sorry for them !!! Thought the pa in the stadium could have been better to be honest, found the video scoreboard a great help in following the game . Hope they get the NFL in Croker next year or soon . Next stop wembley go pats lol. A friend of my Julie's drove the Notre dame team bus , he apparently has a ND coin and a badge from the team for me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

First American Football game and won't be my last. Really enjoyed it. Fans around us were good craic. Shame game wasn't a bit closer!!! Very funny to see huge queues at food stall and no queue for drink. Total opposite of normal day at the Aviva

Did anyone else notice people were just sitting wherever they wanted?? There was awful messing going on in block 526 where lads were coming in, finding people in there seat, they move only for more to come in and they just kept moving all the time!! I had different people sitting beside me for second half!!

Other then that..

Great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Really enjoyed the game, amazed at the amount of Americans there, seemed like the crowd was 80% Americans, all of them decked out in their Navy or Notre Dame gear. Pretty cool the passion they have for their teams.

I thought the American contingent would be mostly Notre Dame fans, with the Irish connection, but seemed to me there was at least as many, if not more, Navy fans.

Kind of came as a neutral but quickly found myself rooting for Navy. With the underdog tag, the service to their country that playing for the team comes with, and the fact that most of the people in my section were Navy, made it pretty easy to root for them.

For the game, the writing was on the wall pretty early on, the two Notre Dame lines really dominated, while Irish QB Everett Golson had all the time in the world, Navy QB Trey Miller was constantly scrambling around. Actually thought Miller did really well, because he was under pressure the whole time. Every time he threw it, I was half-expecting an interception, because he always seemed to be throwing off his back foot.

Would've been great if the game was a bit closer, because the Navy fans didn't have a whole lot to cheer about on the pitch. Loved the pageantry as well, the US National anthem before the game had an extra bit of emotion, with so many members of the Naval forces in attendance.

After the game, the two teams went to both ends and stood while their band played a song. Really liked that bit. Does anyone know what the two songs were?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Dave11 wrote: »
    First American Football game and won't be my last. Really enjoyed it. Fans around us were good craic. Shame game wasn't a bit closer!!! Very funny to see huge queues at food stall and no queue for drink. Total opposite of normal day at the Aviva

Did anyone else notice people were just sitting wherever they wanted?? There was awful messing going on in block 526 where lads were coming in, finding people in there seat, they move only for more to come in and they just kept moving all the time!! I had different people sitting beside me for second half!!

Other then that..

Great day out!

Good bit of that in 525.
    I got a load of nice comments about my Air Force Academy jersey [Go Falcons] :D
    Got my photo taken with a 1* and a 2* Admiral.
    Shame about the result tough, still FEAR THE GOAT!

• Advertisement

Dave11 wrote: »

I think they kept just looking at the seat row letter, finding that and sitting down, not looking at the seat number. Or at least that's what kept happening where I was..not a million miles from 526 and 525. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Nearly forgot about this lad - took the staff about an hour to realise he wasn't meant to be on the field - they just stood there looking at him for ages and let him walk off in his own time before I seen any staff making any attempt to stop him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Minute I seen him I thought there goes any hope of an NFL game :o

Stewards where very slow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

It was on ESPN America. They were making a big deal of the irishness showing videos of Currachs on the Liffey and they even interviewed 'the prime minister of Ireland'. I found the whole thing very funny but if it brings in the tourists or if they come for another match again in a few years all well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is there anywhere I can watch a play back of this? Even highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Watching the game right now (recorded). We're there a lot of empty seats in the stadium? It looks like there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

What channel you record it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

ESPN America

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I had a great time yesterday, the NFL games I've been to in Wembley didn't come anything close to it. I was cheering for Navy (for no reason other than them being the underdog) and got a high five off three 70+ year old women when they scored :D and unlike decsie, it was mostly insults I got for my Brady jersey but all in good fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Lovely atmosphere in the Aviva yesterday. From talking to many, many American fans over for it and feedback from both camps - hopefully it could become a more regular thing.

Once every four years would be terrific.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I had a great time yesterday, the NFL games I've been to in Wembley didn't come anything close to it.

College football is bigger and better supported than the NFL. There is much more passion in college ball.

There was a great buzz in the stadium.

I didn't notice that many empty seats. Yeah, the first 6 rows were blocked off so people could have a view of the pitch though, but only a few patches of a few empty seats. I would say a bit of that were groups of people going for food/drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I checked the queues about 3 times, each time they were massive! Thought they'd die down, but never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

OU812 wrote: »
    Watching the game right now (recorded). We're there a lot of empty seats in the stadium? It looks like there was.

Nope stadium was full, just lots of lads going up and down for food/beer/Jax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nope stadium was full, just lots of lads going up and down for food/beer/Jax.

Towards the end it did empty out a bit but that's pretty much par for the course at American sporting events that aren't tight. They love beating the traffic those Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Fantastic day at the game capped off with having a few drinks with Jason Fabini afterwards! Really nice fella with no airs and graces. Got to talk with him about Vinny Testaverde, Wayne Chrebet and also the monday night miracle. Only problem is I left my programme in the stadium would be willing to pay postage if anyone has spare one please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Fantastic day at the game capped off with having a few drinks with Jason Fabini afterwards! Really nice fella with no airs and graces. Got to talk with him about Vinny Testaverde, Wayne Chrebet and also the monday night miracle. Only problem is I left my programme in the stadium would be willing to pay postage if anyone has spare one please.

You must really like collecting programs if you're willing to pay €10 TWICE for what was on offer yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Had a great day yesterday, Americans were fantastic fun and they were all having a great time over here which was good to see.
    Was a shame the game was such a blow out but just good to be there. Had tickets up in section 526 but ended up sitting in the media section, place was full of regular fans wandering in and getting better seats. Got the official half time stat sheet which was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

Cienciano wrote: »

I checked the queues about 3 times, each time they were massive! Thought they'd die down, but never did.
    My only moan for the day was the queues!
    I can't understand why there were no concession stands for soft drinks and sweets only. Had to wait in line 20 mins to get a bottle of pop!
    Croker has separate shops for these and works way better.

Loved the atmosphere and really enjoyed the event.

Was in 523 with pretty good view.

Did anyone see the guy falling in 521. He fell forward at least 6 rows and hit 2 women across the heads on the way. I think they had him up going the pressups after a touchdown and he went forward. They got a bad fright!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

Torlac wrote: »
    My only moan for the day was the queues!
    I can't understand why there were no concession stands for soft drinks and sweets only. Had to wait in line 20 mins to get a bottle of pop!
    Croker has separate shops for these and works way better.

Loved the atmosphere and really enjoyed the event.

Was in 523 with pretty good view.

Did anyone see the guy falling in 521. He fell forward at least 6 rows and hit 2 women across the heads on the way. I think they had him up going the pressups after a touchdown and he went forward. They got a bad fright!
    There were people going around the stands selling either beer or bottles of coke.

Advertisement