Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got late offer of tickets via a wanted ad from a Group of Navy supporters :).
    Was in 130 on the corner of North & West.
    There were 6 empty seats in front, couple here & there around but very
    very few empty around the rest of the stadium, Lots of Americans looking for tickets outside, not many selling.
    NO queues for drink or food down around there all through the game but a massive queue outside Elverys for shirts, souveniours etc.
    Thought the blow up banger sticks on the seats were a good idea but they could have put the team names on them.
    Programme prices were a disgrace, no reason for it.
    Area where I was sitting, people were buying hot dogs & drinks all afternoon from the guys going up and down the rows.
    There was a Group of 9 (8 blokes including 1 Scot and a girl) and the round was 8 pints of Guiness and a Red Wine (approx €50), 4 times in 2 hours and they certainley enjoyed themselves!
    At least they had the carry holders for 4 pints a time.
    Game was a bit of a blow out all right but at least it was a bit of crack.
    Saw a lot of fans "throwing" adults & kids up in the air in the Upper stands, very funny!
    The idiot who stood in the end zone for about 5 mins walked off the pitch, no sign of a steward, you could see he was locked.
    Started tp walk up the side of the pitch until an American "cop" held him until 2 stewards took him down the tunnel holding a ball under his arm!
    Waited till the match was over and went down to the front of the pitch and managed to blag a glove off one of the Notre Dame players :D.
    Spoke to a couple of Americans during the match and they seemed to be happy with the reception and facilities while they were here.
    Good crack all round, looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I put up a match report and some photos up here

http://nfl-ireland.com/2012/09/emerald-isle-classic-notre-dame-50-navy-10/

if you're interested!

Had a great few days, got to chat to Te'o, Eifert, and Lewis-Moore (all HUGE and very friendly) and had pitch access yesterday. Would love to see another event like this, as I said in my article you really need all the team's fans there to make it special

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought it was pretty good, but was disappointed with some of the Irish there. There was 2 girls in front of me, who I dont think looked at the game in the 1st half, and then left at half time. Considering there were people looking for tickets who couldnt get them, I thought it was pretty ****e. There were a lot of seats empty going into the 4th Quarter too. Obviously the blowout didn't help, but a lot just didn't seem to care (at least around me anyway)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I put up a match report and some photos up here.

Would love to see another event like this, as I said in my article you really need all the team's fans there to make it special

I think the fans, and bands made the event. I, too, was pitchside. I totally enjoyed it. It was a very long day, but with so much to see and so much going on, I was never bored. I posted up my photos of the day here.

Hopefully we will see another college game. I would prefer a college game rather than NFL, since college ball is better supported, and seems to be more entertaining.

But, no matter what, I think everyone enjoyed the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I put up a match report and some photos up here

http://nfl-ireland.com/2012/09/emerald-isle-classic-notre-dame-50-navy-10/

if you're interested!

Had a great few days, got to chat to Te'o, Eifert, and Lewis-Moore (all HUGE and very friendly) and had pitch access yesterday. Would love to see another event like this, as I said in my article you really need all the team's fans there to make it special

Awesome job as always BP cracking pics also. Really enjoy your work and website.
    Paulw wrote: »
    I think the fans, and bands made the event. I, too, was pitchside. I totally enjoyed it. It was a very long day, but with so much to see and so much going on, I was never bored. I posted up my photos of the day here.

Hopefully we will see another college game. I would prefer a college game rather than NFL, since college ball is better supported, and seems to be more entertaining.

Loving your pics also cracking job dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

Sat in section 524 with Coach TO and his mates. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUPER TIME! The smaller size of Aviva, compared to American stadia, made the upper deck sight lines fantastic. Being an ND fan the blowout didn't bother me at all. I've been to many NCAA and pro games and this experience definitely ranked in the top 10. Well done Dublin!

CoachTO wrote: »
    Awesome job as always BP cracking pics also. Really enjoy your work and website.

Loving your pics also cracking job dude.

Thanks CoachTO, much appreciated!

Paulw wrote: »

cracking job Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

There were people going around the stands selling either beer or bottles of coke.

never saw them in my area, i wouldn't have bothered queueing but i was parched!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Torlac wrote: »
    never saw them in my area, i wouldn't have bothered queueing but i was parched!!

It wasn't beer they were selling, it was Budweiser!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Torlac wrote: »

It wasn't beer they were selling, it was Budweiser!
    I'd have taken it if it meant I didn't have to go up 30 steps with a tray of beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I thought it was great success. I've been to the NFL matches in London and always thought that the atmosphere was a little flat. For much of the crowd we were just happy to be watching football and as a result you never felt that the crowd was pulling for a result one way or another.
    Yesterday however it was claer that this was a bone fide game with the atmosphere to match. I've been to games in the US and this was easily the best atmosphere I've experienced. The travelling fans really gave us an insight into just how pasionate they are for their schools and the Irish crowd got swept away by it.
    I was shocked by the number of people, who normally wouldnt watch a football game on telly if it was the only thing on the air, that were looking for tickets at the last minute. I know that all us on the forum were aware of it and delighted to have the game played here but it flew under the radar for many in the country until the end of the week.
    With the pep rally and other events throughout the city it really took on a life of its own in the run up to the match.
    With the sucess of the game you'd have to think that the value for hosting games in the future has been made clear. The local economy had a great couple of days with hotels, resteraunts and shops all having record sales for this time of year. Notre Dame did a lot to improve their brand recognition here and football was given a legitimate opportunity to increase its fan base.
    Win-win-win by my reckoning and I know that there has been talk of NFL evaluations etc. taking place since Dan Rooney was made the ambassador but if there is sensible heads analysing the successes of this weekend it's crucial that they recognise the fact that it is the uniquness of college ball that made this so successful and different to anything else the city has ever hosted and that if they look to have games in the future that it is of the college variety again.
    Personally I think that we should endevour to have more games in the future just because it's been made perfectly clear the benefits that we have had as a result of the game

I've got post about the game and the efforts that went in to organising the match here and my photos are here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Fantastic day. As many have said if only we could make this a regular thing. Thanks to all the lads above for posting their pix. I have access to some too I'll get the link up when I can.

Like most above I thought a tenner for the program was a joke. Could not get over the food queues, they were longer than the beer queues, first time I ever saw that at Lansdowne. Amazin.

The general atmosphere was great to experience, the ND marching band are a shower of legends, doing the Shamrock and map of Ireland etc. Nobody does pomp and ceremony like the yanks thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Had a fantastic day depite having more than one pint spilt over me (accidentally!) and despite having to jump through hoops to get tickets. This was my 2nd NCAA game (I've been to loads of NFL games) but the atmosphere the ND fans in particular created was really cool.

Echo the previous comments on the food stand queues. I was confused by this the first few times I wnet to games in the US - I couldn't understand how they'd miss part the game for food/drinks etc., but it is a LONG day and it's as much about the event and atmosphere as the game itself. I understand it to a degree in football, but it's the same in basketball, and if you miss 5 minutes in a basketball game, you can miss A LOT!

Would be great to see an NFL game here. The Aviva is probably too small, but surely Croke Park could be used if the GAA were eager for some cash? I'm pretty sure it would sell out too between travelling fans from the US and Europe.

Sat with some very annoying and clueless fans for the first half (why do these people bother? Very frustrating for those who missed out), but moved seats at half-time for a better view. Security staff never bothered to check my ticket so I just moved to a better seat I'd spotted.

Nearly wet myself when they played "Danger Zone" and the accompanying video for kick-off. It was getting so "USA! USA!" at that stage I was half-expecting "America F**K Yeah!" to come on - now that would have totally made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Nearly wet myself when they played "Danger Zone" and the accompanying video for kick-off. It was getting so "USA! USA!" at that stage I was half-expecting "America F**K Yeah!" to come on - now that would have totally made my day :D

I thought there was going to be a fly over when that song came on. On the big screens they had footage of a fighter plane warming up and when they showed it taking off, I was expecting a real one to fly over the stadium. Never happend :( I could've sworn I heard there'd be a fly over.

Ok strange question.... you know when the Navy guys came out and sat in the North Stand, they immedidaely started banging their stick things... just wondering had someone already inflated the sticks for them :confused:
    Please don't flame for asking a stupid question :pac:

I thought there was going to be a fly over when that song came on. On the big screens they had footage of a fighter plane warming up and when they showed it taking off, I was expecting a real one to fly over the stadium. Never happend :( I could've sworn I heard there'd be a fly over.

Ok strange question.... you know when the Navy guys came out and sat in the North Stand, they immedidaely started banging their stick things... just wondering had someone already inflated the sticks for them :confused:

it had been mentioned that there would be a fly over! was disappointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

queues for food and drink on the premium level were pretty good. great to be able to walk around the whole way and watch the game from wherever you liked.

Brendan howlin and mary hanafin were in our section - along with another 500 freeloaders who wouldnt know an nfl game from a rugby game :mad::mad:

but it was still immensely enjoyable, the build up I thought was excellent. Loads of tickets available outside before the game, I saw some guy take a tenner for a ticket....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I had one spare East Lower and although I had no intention of touting it, it took me a lot longer than I thought it would take to get rid of it for face value €50, all the gangs of Americans in the pubs near the ground were all sorted

Navy, amongst many other teams, usually does have a fly past at the start of the game. It usually occurs at the end of their national anthem.

• Advertisement

They either had the "thunder sticks" inflated at their seats waiting or they 'blew' them up when they were seated. They were not carrying anything when they marched into the stadium.

They either had the "thunder sticks" inflated at their seats waiting or they 'blew' them up when they were seated. They were not carrying anything when they marched into the stadium.

Marines can inflate them by staring at them from a distance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had heard rumours of a chopper fly by as no fast jets on the ship. I was honestly hoping for a marine detachment to fast rope in ala the all blacks game in thomond a couple of years back and deliver the game ball

I'd say there a number of logistical reasons why there was no fly pass. I'd imagine they have a few jets in their UK bases but there are probably red tape issues with flying in irish air space or something.

And it would have been embarrassing if the Irish lads stepped in and offered to do it.

I'd say there a number of logistical reasons why there was no fly pass. I'd imagine they have a few jets in their UK bases but there are probably red tape issues with flying in irish air space or something.

And it would have been embarrassing if the Irish lads stepped in and offered to do it.

Heard rumours that the JFK was offshore somewhere. It is amazing how far they will fly to show the flag though. The USAF flew a stealth bomber and fighter from Oklahoma to Toronto for an air show fly past. They came up, did their 5 minutes and immediately headed back. Check the distance on a map.

If they really wanted to, they just needed to ask. Enda would have bent backwards to accommodate them. Would he have to get Angela's permission though? Maybe that was the hitch. Too much fun and too enough work.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

It was a great occasion but I think calling for it to be regular hosting games here is a non-runner. The novelty factor and the teams involved made it what it was. No other 2 teams in college football, or the NFL would attract as many travelling fans here as none have the connections to Ireland that Notre Dame and Navy have.

fermoyboy wrote: »
    It was a great occasion but I think calling for it to be regular hosting games here is a non-runner. The novelty factor and the teams involved made it what it was. No other 2 teams in college football, or the NFL would attract as many travelling fans here as none have the connections to Ireland that Notre Dame and Navy have.

Boston College, Pitt, Cincinnati, UConn, UMass have BCS football teams and have strong ties to the Irish-American community. You might be able to mix it up a bit. I would be willing to attend once every 4 years to see Notre Dame play.

The other schools such as Xavier, Loyola, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Fordam, St Bonnie's, St Francis', St John's with Irish ties only have basketball teams. That might be something to push for; NCAA basketball tournament. There is one held in Hawaii each year and Ireland is a hell of a lot closer to the east coast of the US than Hawaii.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I had a great day. Was supporting Navy the whole way, I've liked them since I started watching football last year.

I originally had tickets in 519, right up in the corner of the South and West stands. However, they didnt arive and I was offered tickets in 504 instead. I said yes, once I was in the stadium I didnt care. Got to my seat, and it was dead on the 50 yard line! Worked out perfectly.

As for the food queues, where I was was fine. I went down for a hot dog with 4 mins to go in the 2nd quarter and walked straight up to the counter, had 3 people to choose from. Maybe I just got lucky.

This along with a cracking game in Donnybrook on Friday and a tour of the USS Fort McHenry on Sunday made for a memorable weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to say me and my mate had a cracking day all round, we started in temple bar and had a few cans then headed down and met some interesting people on the train to the ground.

Loved the whole setup and when we got into the ground we could not believe it, we were in block 112, we were right beside the ND marching band literally 6 to 8 seats away from them. With all that was going on with the game and the band we did not feel the 3 and half hours plus, it flew in.

Don't know about the food queues, as my mate had cooked chicken wings and ribs that morning which we devoured at half time :D, but beer queues were nearly empty anytime we went up, have to say there were a few ppl who didn't have a clue whatsoever about the game or the rules, i think the American bloke and his wife were kind of glad me and my mate were there as we seemed to be the only ones around hoim to have a clue.

It was my first American football game to go to, have been following it for years and keep saying i have to get to one when im over there but never happens. I for one had a great day and will never forget the experience, oh and while waiting on the train to the match we meet an absolute legend, an old man and his wife, he had been all over the world with the Navy and had been to Vietnam twice among other places.

Only downside was the price of the program a bit steep at 10 euro for the size of it, but great day out!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

fermoyboy wrote: »

Dont agree at all. I know that the connections to Notre Dame are really prominant and they are one of the few schools that have presence/recognition with the Irish market but if any school comes with a full band and the organisers look to have similar events planned the crowds would flock to it.

Look at the sheer volume of people that went to the game that would otherwise have no interest in football and the number of people looking for tickets after experiencing the atmosphere during the week. The Irish crowd would be interested in having another game and schools in the US would similarly be interested with the chance to improve their brand recognition and increase their fanbase.

You say that only these two schools would be able to attract having fans travel to Ireland but everywhere Ive been in the US people want to come to Ireland. I've been in Pac-12, Big 12 and SEC country and when you tell anyone that you're from Ireland they say "i have family from there and have always wanted to go," if their school was playing here they would definitely look to travel.

Finding suitable teams to travel would be difficult, no doubt, but playing a game at a neutral venue wouldnt be that great an issue given that a lot of opening week games take place at Cowboys Stadium, Georgia Dome etc. It is possible to get a game to take place here again and if it is something that is seriously being considered, and given the value to the economy it seems inevitable that they examine it again, we should look to target the college market.

It is unique and will ensure that there is a much greater number of travelling fans. The games in London are great but lack having American fans and that was what made the game on Saturday. We really did have a US event taking place on Irish soil

Advertisement