Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Contracts to date including Hicks...

Hicks: 2 years 10 mill 5.5 guaranteed
    Freeman: 3 years 12 mill 6 guaranteed
    Porter: 3 years 16.5 mill 4.25 guaranteed
    Massie: 3 years 18 mill 6.5 guaranteed
    Trevathan: 24.5 mill for 4 years 12 guaranteed
    McManis: 2 years 2.85 mill 750k guaranteed

Not a single guarantee over 7 mill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You can totally see the way Pace is trying to go - most of the guarantees are 1/1.5 years (Trevathan aside) - the plan is to build through the draft. It's a long term strategy but with enough added in the interim to make forward progress (he has to keep the McCaskeys believing and the fans to a certain extent).

You can see that the way the contracts are structured that they are hoping they'll draft/develop their own players by the time these guys are no longer useful.

I have no idea it it will work out , that will 100% depend on our drafts - we certainly have the right coaches to develop players, but it's 100% the right idea.

Draft well - supplement with a few free agents.

The way we are going about it gives we confidence. The fact Pace hired Fox gives me confidence and our draft class of last year gives me bit of confidence too.

We'll still end up 3rd in our division this year in all likelihood however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Zach miller resigned anyway, so we're nicely set up for the draft.

My wife was working late so I watch about a third of the Cardinals @ Panthers playoff game last night to check out Massie a bit more. He was actually really really good. He fights really well with his hands and is strong as an ox.

He gave up one pressure on what I saw and that was Palmer holding the ball 6 seconds plus.

It definitely made me feel a bit better - he's definitely no turnstile. He didn't face any real speed rushers in those snaps so no idea if that's his issue.

I'll hopefully watch the rest later in the week. I'm pretty sure I have their game v the packers recorded so i'll possibly watch some of that too.

The Marty trade was inevitable I suppose. Happy to get some decent comp out of it when he was being released either way. Trade makes perfect sense for New England too. Contract year so incentive won’t be an issue and it’s the right environment to curb his idiocy. I think he could be dominant with the looks he’ll be getting. Chicago will need to find some blocking elsewhere because Miller won’t offer a sniff.

The Shea era is over, thanks be to god. There was a burden off my shoulders when I read the news. The guy can’t play a lick but he’s a great lad so best of luck to him.

We’ve still got a decent chest there with 20+ mill (more if Alshon extends) and 9 picks. Defensive back is an absolute must but aside from that you have plenty of room to manoeuvre. Excited for the draft now, and looking forward to getting stuck into some tape.

• Advertisement

I honestly LOL'ed when I say the McClellin contract - hilarious. He's good at duping people I'll give the chap that much.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I honestly LOL'ed when I say the McClellin contract - hilarious. He's good at duping people I'll give the chap that much.

They must be all seeing something that is invisible to the rest of us. Terribly soft player, would never see him as anything more than a depth option at best.

They must be all seeing something that is invisible to the rest of us. Terribly soft player, would never see him as anything more than a depth option at best.

I really really don't get it - when multiple UDFas look better that's a real bad sign. How he's got himself anything more than a million a year with next to no guarantees I've no clue.

I watched more Massie and his big issue seems to be bull rushes - really struggles. Got knocked into Palmer in both first halves I watched (Panthers and packers)

Looked good otherwise - better than I expected from pff and the bits I remember seeing off him. (Hard to remember oline play unless it's real bad)

He's way more athletic than I'd have guessed - they had him pull and he took off downfield - really impressive.

Everyone see the Larsen and Ramirez signings? 2 starting calibre interior guys by most accounts if nothing that'll blow the doors off.

Depth has been a foreign concept for as long as I can remember so these excited me more than they should have. Camp gonna be fun.

And more leeway for the draft.

• Advertisement

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Everyone see the Larsen and Ramirez signings? 2 starting calibre interior guys by most accounts if nothing that'll blow the doors off.

Depth has been a foreign concept for as long as I can remember so these excited me more than they should have. Camp gonna be fun.

And more leeway for the draft.

Yep depth and flexibility.

Ramierz is quite good. Larsen is very bad.

I still hope we'll draft at least one oline prospect, maybe two. then spend all our other picks on defence.

I think it'll be one left tackle prospect and potentially a mid round rb and tight end. Everything else on d.

Very excited for the draft, 9 picks and a lot of them decent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hi Bears fans,

I hope to be in Chicago around Haloween and I see the Bears are hosting the Vikings on Halloween evening for MNF. What are my chances of getting tickets on resale? Should I be prepared to get fleeced? :)

Hi Bears fans,

I hope to be in Chicago around Haloween and I see the Bears are hosting the Vikings on Halloween evening for MNF. What are my chances of getting tickets on resale? Should I be prepared to get fleeced? :)

You'll get a ticket if you want one but depending on how the team is getting on they can be quite pricey. The stadium is quite small for the nfl and that keeps prices high. But if you start shooting tickets early, as in now, you might get some good value on stubhub out whatever. Huge differences in price between seats that isn't justified by a major difference in quality of view, so there's bargains to be had in the upper tier sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'll get a ticket if you want one but depending on how the team is getting on they can be quite pricey. The stadium is quite small for the nfl and that keeps prices high. But if you start shooting tickets early, as in now, you might get some good value on stubhub out whatever. Huge differences in price between seats that isn't justified by a major difference in quality of view, so there's bargains to be had in the upper tier sometimes.

Thanks!

Is there any chance the game could be changed to the Sunday or Thursday beforehand? I read somewhere that the NFL can change fixture days following this schedule announcement. I'm planning to fly out that Sunday evening.

I see the cheapest tickets on Ticketmaster Exchange or Stubhub are $150+. Yikes! I don't like how it's common practice in the US to re-sell tickets for a profit, it makes a season ticket feel like an investment risk than a season ticket! I suppose it keeps it legit and I'm sure all parties profit from it.

Thanks!

Is there any chance the game could be changed to the Sunday or Thursday beforehand? I read somewhere that the NFL can change fixture days following this schedule announcement. I'm planning to fly out that Sunday evening.

I see the cheapest tickets on Ticketmaster Exchange or Stubhub are $150+. Yikes! I don't like how it's common practice in the US to re-sell tickets for a profit, it makes a season ticket feel like an investment risk than a season ticket! I suppose it keeps it legit and I'm sure all parties profit from it.

If the game is after week 5 they can "flex" it from Sunday afternoon to Sunday night, but they can't move Monday games, those are set in stone.

Regarding the tickets, that sounds kind of high but not that surprising. It's a divisional game and the going rate for Bears games seems to be that or higher if the opposition is anyone good. I don't like re-selling as common practice either, but that's the free market for you. As you say, all parties profit. Except for the fan. He gets screwed. By everyone. Over and over. FWIW I think it's worth the money if you are really into the Bears, my first visit there was something I have great memories of.

Would be lovely to support someone who has tickets going for 40 quid or whatever (until recently the Panthers did!), but for me, at least, I love the team because I love the city, and the city makes it damn expensive. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

Doors anyone know if sky sports will be showing the Draft. I'm aiming they will show 1st round again but can't find confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Anyone think that Norman hitting FA give the bears a chance of being a win now team?

Sign Norman and make a play for Elliot in the draft and fill out the lines with the rest of your picks.

The LB core has seen a huge upgrade in FA, Norman would obviously improve the secondary, Zeek is being touted as being nearly as good as Gurley, the Jeffrey and white returning to full health and hopefully get another good year out of Cutler.. interior line obviously still needs improving though.

There's nothing the Bears can do that'll have them contending this year. Norman won't happen and rightly so. Paying huge for someone of his age profile would not be aligned with what we've seen from Pace to date, however small a sample.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Anyone think that Norman hitting FA give the bears a chance of being a win now team?

Sign Norman and make a play for Elliot in the draft and fill out the lines with the rest of your picks.

The LB core has seen a huge upgrade in FA, Norman would obviously improve the secondary, Zeek is being touted as being nearly as good as Gurley, the Jeffrey and white returning to full health and hopefully get another good year out of Cutler.. interior line obviously still needs improving though.

It would be a very sudden change of direction for them to start pursuing a win now mode. Everything they've been doing suggests long term rebuilding. Would hate to see them suddenly get greedy and throw away all the progress they've been making (also if they were trying to win now they never would have let Forte go)

I know you're just saying they COULD, not that you expect that they WOULD. I just hope they don't...

(Not that I don't want them to win this year!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

It would be a very sudden change of direction for them to start pursuing a win now mode. Everything they've been doing suggests long term rebuilding. Would hate to see them suddenly get greedy and throw away all the progress they've been making (also if they were trying to win now they never would have let Forte go)

I know you're just saying they COULD, not that you expect that they WOULD. I just hope they don't...

(Not that I don't want them to win this year!)

O god it is a complete could.... Wouldn't dream that it would actually happen, well dream ;)

The fact the panthers took the tag off Norman says a lot - must be looking for insane money.

I also definitely don't want a RB at 11. Hopefully a top prospect falls but give me Lawson either. I'd rather draft a DT then in second rather than reach on one in the first given the depth at that position.

Anyone who knows anything who doesn't hate the pick?

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Anyone who knows anything who doesn't hate the pick?

I don't know a damn thing but for what it's worth (not much I suppose), I don't hate the pick. At all. But like yourself, would be interested in someone's opinion who knows a bit more before I pontificate as to why I like it.

First impression: 2nd round looks like Pace was flustered after twice having his guy taken from under his nose. Picking a guard is an odd choice after free agency.

3rd round looks a great steal, I read threads where people were criticising pace for not picking Bullard with the previous pick.

Still, all just first impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

Spriggs might have been his 1st choice but I see a lot of sites grading the whitehair pick as an A. You can never have enough lineman and competition is great to have. Bullard looks a steal in 3rd round. Guess we'll just have to trust the guys who spend all year evaluating players

crunchie44 wrote: »
    Spriggs might have been his 1st choice but I see a lot of sites grading the whitehair pick as an A. You can never have enough lineman and competition is great to have. Bullard looks a steal in 3rd round. Guess we'll just have to trust the guys who spend all year evaluating players

Yeah this is it. People seem not to like Floyd in the first, but the last time people complained that much about it first round pick was Kyle long. Which worked out pretty well.

I haven't criticised a single move this staff has made until now - I could see logic with Marshall, Forte etc - but releasing matt slauson is just plain dumb. Quality reliable mauler who can play all interior positions (would prefer to see him at centre than Grasu). Also seems great character wise.

I hope it's not an age thing - he's a year and half younger than Marshall yanda sure!

Do not get it.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I haven't criticised a single move this staff has made until now - I could see logic with Marshall, Forte etc - but releasing matt slauson is just plain dumb. Quality reliable mauler who can play all interior positions (would prefer to see him at centre than Grasu). Also seems great character wise.

I hope it's not an age thing - he's a year and half younger than Marshall yanda sure!

Do not get it.

Agreed, read that at breakfast this morning and could not fathom it. Saves 2.5 million in cap, for what? We were just looking like we might have a half decent o line, the only position that we were going to have some actual depth. Makes no sense.

EDIT: Some talk of injury concerns. He played a full season last year hurt though, so I dunno. But it's the only explanation that makes much sense here.

• Advertisement

He's clearly looking for a shift to youth and athleticism. The roster is one of the youngest in the league now and I suspect will only keep trending that way (Young and Houston seem the most obvious next casualties). Age, injuries, emphasis on the ZBS and a far more negative perception in-house of Slauson's performance than in the media are all factors I've read.

I think it's an awful decision. With no cap trouble keep the guy around as injury cover if you're adamant he can't start. Slauson's pass protection was so good, it's a hard move to fathom.

Advertisement